Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

if there's more than 2 layers of quotes or if any sentence starts with "like I said in my july blog" i just stop reading

Remember the good old days when he pointed out cripples? Good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

I had a look, but those things are in. The ones that I am not sure about :

1. Fuel mechanics (no clue about this).
2. healing players
3. wreckage in asteroid belt (could be, no idea)

The rest is "in there". Again, stop focusing on the feature list and focus on what's actually wrong with it.

Tell you what, since I want to be fair, let's make it color-by-numbers, OK? I post the list, you highlight what you THINK is in.

From this image, the highlights as per the announcement

1. Space flight
  2. EVA
  3. FPS
  4. Social
  5. Missions
  6. Large world of 1m x 200k km
  7. Multi-crew
  8. Zone Streaming - seamless gameplay over huge areas with no loading screens

The actual release notes:

1. 20 encounters (not sure what that even means. are they missions?)
  2. 8 dogfighting missions
  3. 8 research missions
  4. 1 exploration mission
  5. 1 on-going battle in the background
  6. 1 wreckage in asteroid belt
  7. 1 station with PvP (fps presumably)
  8. Security area (not sure which location) is PvP for fps and you can pick up weapons, recharge etc
  9. You can repair ships
  10. You can heal players and group (?) with others
  11. Mobi-glass
  12. Access to Crusader region which has 3 moons, 3 stations and an asteroid belt
  13. You can fly ships such as Avenger, Retaliator, Constellation, and Vanguard
  14. New flight models (we already knew about this from dev logs)
  15. You can now EVA from the ship. This was shown at CitizenCon

And for posterity, my original "predictions"

quote:

1. I don't believe that there will be anything tangible in the upcoming AC 2.0. And by the time the dust settles, everyone will be wondering why it's not AC 1.47 (or whatever)
  2. I believe that they will try to get that 2.0 build out in the PTU in time for the anniversary sale on or before 11/26.
  3. That 2.0 build won't i) have fps (aka Star Marine) in it ii) have anything "persistent" about it iii) have anything previously promised (see below) in it
  4. Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)

And whatever they release as 2.0 is purely designed as more smoke and mirrors to show "progress". So it will be a buggy mess in PTU until well into 2016. Lest you forget, AC is still a buggy mess. And whatever it is they currently have in the PTU is best not even discussed. Remember, they still can't even get buggies to work right.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 29, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

I've found that a sous vide cooker makes things easier, especially with fish. Annova makes the one I currently use, but there's another good one coming out soon: http://www.eater.com/2015/11/24/9788798/chefsteps-sous-vide-gabe-newell-immersion-circulator

https://anovaculinary.com/salmon-sous-vide-brining-key/

Lol Sous vide is microwaving poo poo in bags

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

quote:

Somebody already gave an awful lot of thought to the current loopholes for exploiting people through crowd funding and gave some predictions that also conclude with legislation being inevitable.

How indie film financing could shape the future of games

Oh the irony.

There's a long history of ex bank robbers later becoming security consultants. You have to know how you'd steal stuff to be able to spot the weak/exploitable points in a system.

Not that I'm saying Ortwin is a bank robber or anything like that, lol the very idea. It's just interesting he's obviously put so much thought into the complete lack of planning or oversight that might cause crowdfunded projects to fail to deliver on their original "campaign concept and convincing marketing materials" and how there's nothing much to stop that currently.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Tell you what, since I want to be fair, let's make it color-by-numbers, OK? I post the list, you highlight what you THINK is in.

1. Space flight
  2. EVA
  3. FPS
  4. Social
  5. Missions
  7. Multi-crew

1. 20 encounters (not sure what that even means. are they missions?) (note: possibly, depends how they define encounters. Probably groups of copy pasted enemy ships in space)
  3. 8 research missions
  4. 1 exploration mission
  8. Security area (not sure which location) is PvP for fps and you can pick up weapons, recharge etc
  9. You can repair ships
  11. Mobi-glass
  12. Access to Crusader region which has 3 moons, 3 stations and an asteroid belt

Bolded the ones that are in, italics for the ones that I don't know.

Now again, it's a question of quality not quantity of those checkboxes. Sure, they are in, but most of them are poo poo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Oh the irony.

There's a long history of ex bank robbers later becoming security consultants. You have to know how you'd steal stuff to be able to spot the weak/exploitable points in a system.

Not that I'm saying Ortwin is a bank robber or anything like that, lol the very idea. It's just interesting he's obviously put so much thought into the complete lack of planning or oversight that might cause crowdfunded projects to fail to deliver on their original "campaign concept and convincing marketing materials" and how there's nothing much to stop that currently.

Yup, and hackers becoming security researchers and analysts.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 29, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

1. Space flight
  2. EVA
  3. FPS
  4. Social
  5. Missions
  7. Multi-crew

On the surface all that looks to be in Derek, nobody not in the game development industry is going to have an opinion on seamless large world stuff unless they're a loving super nerd, social is whatever you think it is, you can salute a random dude, it's in, all the other stuff you can see on videos. FPS obviously doesn't mean the FSP module as previously advertised, but FPS of a form is in.

Can we talk about your next blog, when do you think it will go online?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Friendly Tumour posted:

Wasn't D_Smart taking somebody to court over twitter? I wanna see the first star citizen court case

Virtual courtrooms are in the next patch.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

Lol Sous vide is microwaving poo poo in bags

Well, water. No microwaves involved. The problem with cooking with microwaves is they do not penetrate evenly through the different layers of flesh. In addition, most Microwaves (the devices) do not have even cooking beams: http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2011/microwave-oven-diagnostics-with-indian-snack-food/

The nice thing about a sous vide immersion cooker is that the water temperature is held so that the exposure is the exact temperature you're looking for. It tends to make for more even cooking, especially for meat: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iglocska posted:

Now again, it's a question of quality not quantity of those checkboxes. Sure, they are in, but most of them are poo poo.

So they aren't all in?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

1. Space flight
  2. EVA
  3. FPS
  4. Social
  5. Missions
  7. Multi-crew

1. 20 encounters (not sure what that even means. are they missions?)
  3. 8 research missions
  4. 1 exploration mission
  9. You can repair ships
  11. Mobi-glass

You just keep posting the same thing over and over again without actually saying what features were promised that aren't in 2.0. It's real easy; you should have it in one of those Evernote notebooks.

Just post a simple bullet point list of features CIG promised would be in 2.0 that are not currently in 2.0. Don't quote old posts; don't link; just a nice, simple bullet list.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So they aren't all in?

They're in as in how a physics engine is "in" in Big Rigs.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Loiosh posted:

I've found that a sous vide cooker makes things easier, especially with fish. Annova makes the one I currently use, but there's another good one coming out soon: http://www.eater.com/2015/11/24/9788798/chefsteps-sous-vide-gabe-newell-immersion-circulator

https://anovaculinary.com/salmon-sous-vide-brining-key/

For future reference, AP, this is why some of us like his posts. He knows exactly when it's time to go with the flow and change the subject to food ITT. :shobon:

EDIT: To contribute to that topic and offset the other dumbasses, I'm so happy I finally found a brand of eggs that doesn't just scramble itself before I put them on the drat stove. All those runny as poo poo eggs, and they tend to taste poo poo too...but these stay nice and solid and I get 12 of 'em for the price of 10. Felt good when I first saw that.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 29, 2015

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode posted:

So which features listed are not currently in 2.0?

None, because the 'game' doesn't work.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

quote:

Space flight
EVA
FPS
Social
Missions
Large world of 1m x 200k km
Multi-crew
Zone Streaming - seamless gameplay over huge areas with no loading screens

20 encounters (not sure what that even means. are they missions?) (note: possibly, depends how they define encounters. Probably groups of copy pasted enemy ships in space)
8 dogfighting missions
8 research missions
1 exploration mission
1 on-going battle in the background
1 wreckage in asteroid belt
1 station with PvP (fps presumably)
Security area (not sure which location) is PvP for fps and you can pick up weapons, recharge etc
You can repair ships
You can heal players and group (?) with others
Mobi-glass
Access to Crusader region which has 3 moons, 3 stations and an asteroid belt
You can fly ships such as Avenger, Retaliator, Constellation, and Vanguard
New flight models (we already knew about this from dev logs)
You can now EVA from the ship. This was shown at CitizenCon

OK, this is how you clear up an argument. Hey, Octopode, take notes!!

Anyway, we are in agreement as to what is in and what isn't in. Though some of them (e.g. encounters, large world) are dubious. Also, note that this 2.0 does not include the full PU, so the "large world" claim is incorrect since 2.0 only includes a small portion of that.

We are also in agreement that though described as "in", most of these are in lovely condition, not fully implemented etc. Which goes back to my notation that this 2.0 wasn't ready and that they rushed it out. I look at all the patch notes and I don't see any indication whereby they couldn't have known about over 83% (yeah, I am anal enough to actually work that out btw, because I live and breathe math) of the issues they listed since the first patch. They knew. But they were asked (forced) to release it anyway. Just like I predicted they would.

I concede the point that this could be construed as being a "tangible" release; but only if looked at as a whole, and even though they didn't deliver on all promises, nor did they deliver a working product. Note: It's not officially released yet and only about 50K (at least those who can run it, get in etc) have access to it atm. Out of over 700K accounts (notwithstanding the duplicates, freebies who don't have the game etc).

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

Anyway, we are in agreement as to what is in and what isn't in. Though some of them (e.g. encounters, large world) are dubious. Also, note that this 2.0 does not include the full PU, so the "large world" claim is incorrect since 2.0 only includes a small portion of that.

We are also in agreement that though described as "in", most of these are in lovely condition, not fully implemented etc. Which goes back to my notation that this 2.0 wasn't ready and that they rushed it out. I look at all the patch notes and I don't see any indication whereby they couldn't have known about over 83% (yeah, I am anal enough to actually work that out btw, because I live and breathe math) of the issues they listed since the first patch. They knew. But they were asked (forced) to release it anyway. Just like I predicted they would.

I concede the point that this could be construed as being a "tangible" release; but only if looked at as a whole, and even though they didn't deliver on all promises, nor did they deliver a working product. Note: It's not officially released yet and only about 50K (at least those who can run it, get in etc) have access to it atm. Out of over 700K accounts (notwithstanding the duplicates, freebies who don't have the game etc).

You claim again they didn't deliver on all promises: which promises?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

quote:

I concede the point that this could be construed as being a "tangible" release; but only if looked at as a whole, and even though they didn't deliver on all promises, nor did they deliver a working product. Note: It's not officially released yet and only about 50K (at least those who can run it, get in etc) have access to out. Out of over 700K accounts (notwithstanding the duplicates, freebies who don't have the game etc).

But that was my point all along. They are in, the checkboxes are checked - each time people talk about how 2.0 wasn't all that was promised it undermines any real awareness raising to the real issues plaguing the release. The feature list is fine, it's the quality that's atrocious.

As for large world - it's in. It's the exact same size as they promised, so I am not bothered by that. What bothers me that you will either clip through the floor of your ship or plain crash before flying a km away from the starting station.

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

xanif posted:

Can I cook salmon in a pan on a stove top or should I really use an oven? I tried it on a stove top and burnt the ever loving poo poo out of it and now all the recipes I see use an oven.

Loosely foil wrapped with salt/pepper/lemon - pop it in the oven. Its the only way sir.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why does it matter what was in 2.0 or not? It is an extremely buggy proof of concept that was only pushed out to drive sales and the only sign they have been making any sort of progress after 3-4 years and nearly $100 million dollars.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Amarcarts posted:

Lol now all the people who get paid December 1st have a few hours to buy more JPEGs.

But I shouldn't point fingers. These GIFs really got a hold on me. Luckily I got connections so I get them for free. Just go to this address: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1 and tell them you're a friend of Lowtax. They'll hook you up.

It kind of bums me out to think about Shitizens living paycheck to paycheck and buying jpegs so Chris/Sandi can fill their office with overpriced hipster furniture and hobnob with Hollywood stars.

I know they're Shitizens and all so are beneath contempt but they're still human. Very gullible humans.

e: except Karl, he can go gently caress himself.

Berious fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dapper Dan posted:

Why does it matter what was in 2.0 or not? It is an extremely buggy proof of concept that was only pushed out to drive sales and the only sign they have been making any sort of progress after 3-4 years and nearly $100 million dollars.

Ok but... 2.0 is like... .6 or whatever better than the previous version, right?

So like, mission accomplished. Nerds.

*This message paid for by the Reddit committee.*

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dapper Dan posted:

It does if you're hinging an argument on the idea that they lied about what was supposed to be in it instead of arguing that it's a rushed out the door piece of poo poo intended to boost sales of jpegs.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU

Octopode posted:

You just keep posting the same thing over and over again without actually saying what features were promised that aren't in 2.0. It's real easy; you should have it in one of those Evernote notebooks.

Just post a simple bullet point list of features CIG promised would be in 2.0 that are not currently in 2.0. Don't quote old posts; don't link; just a nice, simple bullet list.

you just keep posting the same thing over and over again in this thread, for literally months now

that is to say, unreadable pedantic bullshit

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Fil5000 posted:

It does if you're hinging an argument on the idea that they lied about what was supposed to be in it instead of arguing that it's a rushed out the door piece of poo poo intended to boost sales of jpegs.

This.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Elite: Dangerous are only just about to beta test 1.5 and SC is already on 2.0 - checkmate goons.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

xanif posted:

Can I cook salmon in a pan on a stove top or should I really use an oven? I tried it on a stove top and burnt the ever loving poo poo out of it and now all the recipes I see use an oven.

Blackened salmon is great and is a stove top recipe. Coat your salmon in a mix of salt, paprika, black pepper, chili powder, and white pepper, then cook in olive oil on medium heat. The spices will blacken into a crust on the outside and you are going to mace yourself. But the result is pretty good IMO.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Dapper Dan posted:

Because what is and isn't included versus what was promised in 2.0 is a matter of fact, and one that continues to be presented incorrectly for no discernable reason.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

quote:

I concede the point that this could be construed as being a "tangible" release; but only if looked at as a whole, and even though they didn't deliver on all promises, nor did they deliver a working product. Note: It's not officially released yet and only about 50K (at least those who can run it, get in etc) have access to out. Out of over 700K accounts (notwithstanding the duplicates, freebies who don't have the game etc).

But that was my point all along. They are in, the checkboxes are checked - each time people talk about how 2.0 wasn't all that was promised it undermines any real awareness raising to the real issues plaguing the release. The feature list is fine, it's the quality that's atrocious.

Indeed.

But, they still didn't deliver everything they promised. But I'm not going to nitpick that; though I should since it's just bullet point padding to make it look more substantial than it really is.

Imagine if after listing all this stuff that's coming in the upcoming major (aircraft!) LOD patch, the testers find out that some of it isn't in. In fact, I list them ahead of time as they are implemented and ready for release so that it serves as an accurate roadmap of what to expect in the next patch.

Not to mention the fact that, since July, those extremist White Knight assholes have been littering social media, our Steam product/store pages etc with the usual bullshit about how LOD looks, nobody (that's always hilarious) playing it, is buggy, blah, blah, blah.

Iglocska posted:

As for large world - it's in. It's the exact same size as they promised, so I am not bothered by that. What bothers me that you will either clip through the floor of your ship or plain crash before flying a km away from the starting station.

No, it's not. A portion (as per the 2.0 feature list) of it is in.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, 3 million a month for 3 years is 108 million. The math is suspect.

I tried watching one guy stream and the cargo boxes kept bugging out and flying like 679546790854645 miles into space. Was hilarious to watch him try to put a box in a ship to see it fly in a random direction at 840756460 mph, then the game crashed.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

OhDearGodNo posted:

None, because the 'game' doesn't work.

The game performing in an acceptable way wasn't one of the promised features

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

D_Smart posted:

No, it's not. A portion (as per the 2.0 feature list) of it is in.

What do you think "Large World" is, exactly?

Hint: It's not related to the inclusion of the entire ~100 system star map.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

Well yeah, that's been my point. Though unlike Octopode, SA newbie Iglocska, did a very good job (with my directions for clarity) of making his point. So, between him and the two other White Knights, I think we can look forward to more balanced arguments going forward.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

You claim again they didn't deliver on all promises: which promises?

The 2nd drop of the Hangar release was meant to arrive ~9 weeks after the original release in August 2013, it was meant to include the ability to visit other people's hangar's. It's now 27 months since the first hangar release, when can people visit their friends hangar's and therefore maybe not feel the need to buy their own Phoenix?

Glad you're here doing this Octopode I have a few dozen other such promises I want explained too if you have time.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Fil5000 posted:

^this

But I never said they lied; just that they didn't deliver all (they didn't) as promised. The condition of the delivery is an entirely separate argument that's not in dispute.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
derek smart post a recipe

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

D_Smart posted:

Well yeah, that's been my point. Though unlike Octopode, SA newbie Iglocska, did a very good job (with my directions for clarity) of making his point. So, between him and the two other White Knights, I think we can look forward to more balanced arguments going forward.

I don't think it can be made any clearer than asking you to provide a simple list of things that you believe were not included that were promised. I'm not making a point; I'm asking you to clearly and concisely quantify a statement you have made repeatedly, but you seemingly refuse to do so.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Lime Tonics posted:

Huh, 3 million a month for 3 years is 108 million. The math is suspect.

It's not. They haven't been at that spend rate for that long.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Hahahahaha stop calling it a game or a game world or anything other than a poorly put together tech demo

Chris Roberts called it a movie last week lmao

His mmo can't handle more than 20 players together let alone multi crew.

I think the greatest and funniest thing is that they still will never ever be able to get this game to work from a technical stand point just because of how hardware and netcode works. But keep throwing money at them because there are a lot more people laughing at star citizen than are desperately defending it and even if they get jesus on board and space miracles happen goons will join for 40 dollars and ruin everything

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

if there's more than 2 layers of quotes or if any sentence starts with "like I said in my july blog" i just stop reading

It's like he saw how much everybody loved it when he threw wild accusations around and threatened to sue people who said stuff on twitter and thought "Nah, I'll try and drum up more support for my imaginary lawsuit by arguing with nerds and linking my blog a bunch."

Will the real Derek Smart please stand up (and leave until you are funny again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

AP posted:

The 2nd drop of the Hangar release was meant to arrive ~9 weeks after the original release in August 2013, it was meant to include the ability to visit other people's hangar's. It's now 27 months since the first hangar release, when can people visit their friends hangar's and therefore maybe not feel the need to buy their own Phoenix?

Glad you're here doing this Octopode I have a few dozen other such promises I want explained too if you have time.

We are discussing, specifically, 2.0 promised features versus delivered. Do we really have to resort to dozens of nested quotes to keep statements and questions in context, here?

• Locked thread