Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dogstoyevsky posted:

derek smart post a recipe

How to make Haggis from scratch

Ingredients

1 sheep's stomach or ox secum, cleaned and thoroughly, scalded, turned inside out and soaked overnight in cold salted water

heart and lungs of one lamb

450g/1lb beef or lamb trimmings, fat and lean

2 onions, finely chopped

225g/8oz oatmeal

1 tbsp salt

1 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp ground dried coriander

1 tsp mace

1 tsp nutmeg

water, enough to cook the haggis

stock from lungs and trimmings

Preparation method

Wash the lungs, heart and liver (if using). Place in large pan of cold water with the meat trimmings and bring to the boil. Cook for about 2 hours.

When cooked, strain off the stock and set the stock aside.

Mince the lungs, heart and trimmings.

Put the minced mixture in a bowl and add the finely chopped onions, oatmeal and seasoning. Mix well and add enough stock to moisten the mixture. It should have a soft crumbly consistency.

Spoon the mixture into the sheep's stomach, so it's just over half full. Sew up the stomach with strong thread and prick a couple of times so it doesn't explode while cooking.

Put the haggis in a pan of boiling water (enough to cover it) and cook for 3 hours without a lid. Keep adding more water to keep it covered.

To serve, cut open the haggis and spoon out the filling. Serve with neeps (mashed swede or turnip) and tatties (mashed potatoes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
No loving around, straight in with a haggis recipe

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nation posted:

His mmo can't handle more than 20 players together let alone multi crew.

Last I checked, anything above 12 caused serious issues. Did they improve that to 20? If so, when? I must've missed that somehow. Though unlikely.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Haggis is good.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
shut up and/or post a recipe octopode

E: noice job derek you're a right bloke you are

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

kikkelivelho posted:

The game performing in an acceptable way wasn't one of the promised features

This is actually genuinely true, they released something they claimed was an alpha so it being a buggy piece of poo poo doesn't contradict any of their claims.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

bumbles posted:

Loosely foil wrapped with salt/pepper/lemon - pop it in the oven. Its the only way sir.

This is how to cook salmon. You can pan-fry it (start skin side down, etc etc) but there's no point. Chuck it in a tinfoil pouch with lemon and maybe a little butter and bake that poo poo.

I'm thinking about making beef wellington for christmas dinner. It's a ton of work but man is it worth it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Octopode posted:

We are discussing, specifically, 2.0 promised features versus delivered. Do we really have to resort to dozens of nested quotes to keep statements and questions in context, here?

You said all promises, I was working forwards in time from 2013 from their 1st hangar release as that seems more logical to me. I dunno why you'd want to defend the feature list of 2.0 considering it's not even been released officially yet to the live servers. They might add some real persistence to it in a patch today, maybe SATA Ball too, that can't be far off can it?

I think you're too hard on CIG sometimes, it's almost as if you think 2.0 is done for now and they just rushed it out in a cynical attempt to sell stuff.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

D_Smart posted:

Last I checked, anything above 12 caused serious issues. Did they improve that to 20? If so, when? I must've missed that somehow. Though unlikely.

I was being generous

e: haggis is a loving manly meal goddam

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

This is how to cook salmon. You can pan-fry it (start skin side down, etc etc) but there's no point. Chuck it in a tinfoil pouch with lemon and maybe a little butter and bake that poo poo.

I'm thinking about making beef wellington for christmas dinner. It's a ton of work but man is it worth it.

Throw it in a pot, fill it up with water, put it on the heater and make boiled potatoes for the side-dish.

If you are feeling super adventurous, season it with some salt.

/Norway

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hang on a sec I'll take a pic of the beef that's cooking at my house at the moment

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

AP posted:

You said all promises, I was working forwards in time from 2013 from their 1st hangar release as that seems more logical to me. I dunno why you'd want to defend the feature list of 2.0 considering it's not even been released officially yet to the live servers. They might add some real persistence to it in a patch today, maybe SATA Ball too, that can't be far off can it?

I think you're too hard on CIG sometimes, it's almost as if you think 2.0 is done for now and they just rushed it out in a cynical attempt to sell stuff.

It's not like Sandi had to scream at Erin to release it or anything, lets hang a lantern on that right now.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Iglocska posted:

Throw it in a pot, fill it up with water, put it on the heater and make boiled potatoes for the side-dish.

If you are feeling super adventurous, season it with some salt.

/Norway

That sounds like way too much seasoning...

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode posted:

We are discussing, specifically, 2.0 promised features versus delivered. Do we really have to resort to dozens of nested quotes to keep statements and questions in context, here?

None of the features were delivered, because they don't work.

So to answer your question, zero.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

The 2nd drop of the Hangar release was meant to arrive ~9 weeks after the original release in August 2013, it was meant to include the ability to visit other people's hangar's. It's now 27 months since the first hangar release, when can people visit their friends hangar's and therefore maybe not feel the need to buy their own Phoenix?

Glad you're here doing this Octopode I have a few dozen other such promises I want explained too if you have time.
Reverse the Verse Episode 38 - Mar 13, 2015

quote:

6:52
JAMES: "The status of visiting each others hangars... will be talked about more when the Social Module is... a thing."
It's right around the corner, AP. Any day now.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Mmmmmmmmm I'm going to try all of these salmon recipes. Salmon is delicious.

peter gabriel posted:

Hang on a sec I'll take a pic of the beef that's cooking at my house at the moment

Do it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Recipe:

Beef

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
thats a good looking beef

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

thats a good looking beef

Smells good, no frills though, just as it is, got roast potatoes and poo poo going on as well.

Also, cat got a winter scarf

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm still looking for the following promised features that were supposed to be released:

- Gold Horizons station

-Sataball or whatever that poo poo game was called

- Ender Arena

- Two factions, order and outlaw

- 3 types of armor for each

- All the multiple pistols and rifles, and grenades shown in the demo

- Graphics on par with what we were shown instead of dull, bland textures.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
That is a dapper catte but I don't understand why it tolerates the scarffe

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

peter gabriel posted:

Recipe:

Beef

Three hundred dollar jpeg right here.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ok so it's not called Santaball?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dogstoyevsky posted:

That is a dapper catte but I don't understand why it tolerates the scarffe

He's one of those cats that if something makes him warmer = loves it

Approval rating = high

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

I LOLed :)

:bravo:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

First of all, this is a cool video (if you disregard the incredibly frustrating shaking).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU5UrT1EhWE

Secondly...how big is that moon over there?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Will defend Star Citizen for food. Spent all my money on jpegs. Help me reddit, you're my only hope.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Reverse the Verse Episode 38 - Mar 13, 2015

It's right around the corner, AP. Any day now.

Social Module/Planetside released since August. In the same shoddy manner as 2.0. Still shoddy. No word on "visiting hangar".

Oh, but they released buggies (<----- LOL!) to the hangar though. So does that count? I mean, we've had some hilarious posts, GIFs and everything since then. Oh, it's still not fixed btw and everyone seems to have forgotten about that - and the buggy mess that is AC 1.x due to them now focusing on the new buddy module du jour, PU 2.0

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dante80 posted:

First of all, this is a cool video (if you disregard the incredibly frustrating shaking).

I find in ED the planets look about a couple of hundred metres across, it seems the same here too.
I dunno, they just look like sort of large balls in space to me, is it me?

Edit: I mean, you can't seriously circle strafe the loving Moon can you?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Derek has some serious recipe game. That makes haggis sound good and not mildly distressing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

peter gabriel posted:

I find in ED the planets look about a couple of hundred metres across, it seems the same here too.

Edit: I mean, you can;t seriously circle strafe the loving Moon can you?

Wait!! Did I just see that? I haven't been to the asteroid belt, but those asteroids don't appear to have any collision detect. Is that right?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

D_Smart posted:

Wait!! Did I just see that? I haven't been to the asteroid belt, but those asteroids don't appear to have any collision detect. Is that right?

hosed if I know, you're the Doctor

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dante80 posted:

Oh yay. Asteroid thickets — the second most hilariously idiotic thing in space fiction after ships falling “down” when they get shot.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Mangoose posted:

How do we know the company burns through 3 million per month, by the way? I have no idea what people in the industry are getting paid though, and I assume most of the cash outflow is salaries.

Obsidian put out Pillars from start to finish with a little more than that... They could have been sitting on a mountain of cocaine in Orange County spending that much per month on a game they never finished.

Booblord Zagats posted:

I just can't wait to see the Kickstarter to buy Kickstarter a few lobbyists
There have been so many kickstarter successes I am not sure why people think the SC scam is a cause to question the entire model? I have never been burned so far on anything. (Board games, cards, computer games, doodads...)

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Edit: I mean, you can't seriously circle strafe the loving Moon can you?

The guy was moving around @ about 900 m/s. Circling the moon in 120'' means that the moon is about 10-15km in radius or so?
In ED, moons look the same when you circle strafe them, but you do it at ludicrous speeds and distances (at least until tomorrow, when Horizon drops).

And you can circle strafe the moon in that game.

Have in mind that the gameplay value of arbitrary distance/size differences of balls in space is very low. This was just an observation from that video.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 29, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dante80 posted:

The guy was moving around @ about 900 m/s. Circling the moon in 120'' means that the moon is about 10-15km in radius or so?
In ED, moons look the same when you circle strafe them, but you do it at ludicrous speeds and distances (at least until tomorrow, when Horizon drops).

And you can circle strafe the moon in that game.

Yeah that's what I mean, I am no scientist but aren't moons and planets and stars and poo poo bigger than 6 miles across?
My godammn immersion

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Double Chocolate Banana Tart

For the caramelized bananas
- 1 ripe but firm banana
- Fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3.5 Tbsp sugar

For the bittersweet ganache
- 0.5 lb Bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 Cup plus 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room temp

For the tart shell
- 1.25 Cups AP flour
- 0.25 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 0.25 Cup confectioners sugar
- 0.25 Tsp salt
- 9 Tbsp unsalted butter cut into small pieces and very very cold
- 1 large egg yolk

For the banana topping
- 0.5 cup apricot jam, strained
- 2-3 ripe but firm bananas
- Fresh lemon juice

Tart Shell:
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, confectioner's sugar, and salt in food processor and pulse to mix.
- Scatter the pieces of butter over the dry ingredients and pulse until the butter is cut in coarsely
- Stir the yolk and add it a little at a time, pulsing after each addition
- After the egg is in, process in long pulses until the dough forms clumps and curds.
- Turn the dough out and knead to incorporate any extra dry ingredients
- Press dough into buttered 9-9.5 inch fluted tart pan, prick all over and freeze for at least thirty minutes
- After freezing, butter a piece of aluminum foil and press down snugly against the crust
- Bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees, remove the foil (and press the crust down if it has puffed) and bake for another 8 minutes
- Allow the crust to cool to room temperature

Caramelized Bananas:
- Cut the banana into slices and toss with lemon juice
- Place skillet over high heat and melt butter
- When the butter is bubbling, add the banana slices and turn to coat
- Sprinkle sugar over bananas and cook over high heat, turning, until they are golden brown and caramel coated
- Transfer bananas to parchment lined plate and pat gently to remove excess butter
- Allow to cool to room temperature

Chocolate Ganache
- Place chocolate in heatproof bowl
- Bring cream to boil and pour over chocolate
- Let the mixture sit for 30 seconds and then gently stir until combined
- When ganache is smooth and shiny, stir in butter piece by piece

Tart Assembly:
- Arrange cooled caramelized bananas in cooled tart shell
- Pour chocolate ganache over and gently wiggle tart shell back and forth to settle
- Place tart in fridge and allow the ganache to set for 30-60 minutes

Banana Topping:
- Bring apricot jam to boil
- Peel bananas and toss with a tiny amount of lemon juice
- Once the rest of the tart is assembled and cooled, arrange bananas in concentric rings and glaze with hot jam
- Allow glaze to cool, remove sides (and bottom if possible) from tart pan and serve

Is delicious and looks like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Dante80 posted:

You can see the massive shadow of a space station (?) on that moon, so it can't be that big.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Octopode posted:

Because what is and isn't included versus what was promised in 2.0 is a matter of fact, and one that continues to be presented incorrectly for no discernable reason.

D_Smart posted:

Well yeah, that's been my point. Though unlike Octopode, SA newbie Iglocska, did a very good job (with my directions for clarity) of making his point. So, between him and the two other White Knights, I think we can look forward to more balanced arguments going forward.

Hopefully, I think the whole thing is like you can't see the forest for the trees. It matters more how it is than what they promised.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ok but... 2.0 is like... .6 or whatever better than the previous version, right?

So like, mission accomplished. Nerds.

*This message paid for by the Reddit committee.*

I want to see Robert's mission accomplished banner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rincewinds posted:

You can see the massive shadow of a space station (?) on that moon, so it can't be that big.

Yeah that moon is about 500 meters across.
Makes me want to stick my head in an oven and end it all tbh

• Locked thread