Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah that moon is about 500 meters across.
Makes me want to stick my head in an oven and end it all tbh

…on the other hand, that means it really is Freelancer 2 — the most unrealistic space ever depicted, now unrealistic:ererer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

FRINGE posted:

Obsidian put out Pillars from start to finish with a little more than that... They could have been sitting on a mountain of cocaine in Orange County spending that much per month on a game they never finished.

There have been so many kickstarter successes I am not sure why people think the SC scam is a cause to question the entire model? I have never been burned so far on anything. (Board games, cards, computer games, doodads...)

I find it hilarious that the only one that's potentially a fat fail is SC and it's the only one I didn't put my own money into. Everything from Reaper Bones (which has been successful... multiple times now) to Armello has been good on my end, and my SC backing was a gift from a friend (which I had doubts from the beginning on). Usually the awful ones give a big fat stink of incompetence from previous projects, like Croberts inability to be in charge of anything not-poo poo since the Origin days, and my memory of the Wing Commander movie.

Croberts kind of reminds me of young John Romero, in that he was coasting purely on what he did earlier in his career.

Edit: Should specify WHICH Wing Commander.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

…on the other hand, that means it really is Freelancer 2 — the most unrealistic space ever depicted, now unrealistic:ererer!

Well either way, gently caress em

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uknz0/spoiler_the_beginning_of_squadron_42_and/cxgj6xs?context=3

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah that moon is about 500 meters across.
Makes me want to stick my head in an oven and end it all tbh

at least have a good chow down on that cow first - looks a splendid joint

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Karl posts: not even once.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

bumbles posted:

at least have a good chow down on that cow first - looks a splendid joint

It was good, just a blob of mustard and good to go

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I have been summoned to court to testify regarding my posts on a internet forum.

Wish me luck everyone.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

In all of my life [guy I don't like on the internet] is the person I despise most.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Hey can someone repost those few paragraphs about who Karl is tia paaaaaaarp

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

^^He's a creepy fucker who cyberstalked Bootcha because the very thought of an actual investor pulling out of his Favourite Video Game drove him loving insane.

Tippis posted:

Oh yay. Asteroid thickets — the second most hilariously idiotic thing in space fiction after ships falling “down” when they get shot.
Are you confusing what's supposed to be a planetary ring system with an asteroid belt?

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 29, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Well either way, gently caress em

This is true.

tooterfish posted:

Are you' confusing what's supposed to be a planetary ring system with an asteroid belt?

“Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Cruise Mode: Lap around an asteroid ring”
No.

And the same idiocy applies to planetary rings (which this wouldn't be since it's a belt around a “moon”, which is itself more like an asteroid), so that wouldn't work as an excuse anyway.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 29, 2015

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Freelancer was also a very good game for people who aren't racist but.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

teh_Broseph posted:

Hey can someone repost those few paragraphs about who Karl is tia paaaaaaarp

Ghostlight posted:

Karl is a German auditor Star Citizen fanatic who was posting in the thread in defense of Star Citizen.

Beyond that it is easier to tell you who Karl is not. He is not the German auditor Star Citizen fanatic on the official Star Citizen forums that happens to share a name with the twitter account Karl posted here as his own - this is verifiable because that poster has spent thousands of dollars on Star Citizen while Karl's ships were all gifted to him by his brother. He is not the German auditor Star Citizen fanatic on reddit that posts extensively about how unfairly Karl was treated by SA, because that is a woman. He is also not her father who happens to be a German auditor, just in case you were thinking that might be the case. In fact, every redditor who is German and an auditor and interested in Star Citizen is definitely not Karl, nor the obvious sock puppet accounts that jump to the defense of any German auditor Star Citizenite posting in r/DerekSmart.

All we really know for sure about Karl is he can go gently caress himself.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

TIL a man having consensual vaginal sex with a woman is oppressing her

i looked up the term PiV and wasn't disappointed. Oh Tumblr, how you make me cringe and realize humans are totally screwed.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 29, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

I have been summoned to court to testify regarding my posts on a internet forum.

Wish me luck everyone.

LOL!! Seriously, summoned by whom and what's the case about exactly?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

D_Smart posted:

Wait!! Did I just see that? I haven't been to the asteroid belt, but those asteroids don't appear to have any collision detect. Is that right?
No. The guy runs into the asteroids at least twice, starting at the 2:12 mark. He's making slight course adjustments as he's moving to avoid collisions up until then.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A bit of a theme lately in the "Concern" forum:

Once again Chris Roberts does not have a clue about price/performance/quality of a ship

I have a followup concern after reading the Avenger Q&A. I'd like some sort of official response

Retaliator: first true multiplayer ship. a failure before release?

Redeemer still weak @ it's price point? POLL INCLUDED

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

D_Smart posted:

I am his attorney and you need platinum upgrade to speak with me about this case.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
You should all meet up in real life and have gay sex with each other

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Decrepus posted:

I am his attorney and you need platinum upgrade to speak with me about this case.

This would be funny, if DS didn't already have plat.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Decrepus posted:

For $149.99 I will sell you the double-platinum account that includes a special Proud Platinum* avatar.

*Avatar will only be made available at such a time as the avatar team has completed the extensive design and testing work required for avatar production. No current ETA.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

a star citizen posted:

And the P72 can't have a Q-Drive or a Jump Drive or much in the way of armor... While that's not an issue in Arena Commander it's going to make it a pretty useless stand alone ship in the PU. Currently with the Merlin you can't even leave the space around Port Olisar in 2.0PTU. Well you could but it would take you a REALLY LONG (like hours) to get to the nearest point of interest.

Calm down and look at the whole picture about a ship.

:laffo:

Doikor
Oct 5, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah that's what I mean, I am no scientist but aren't moons and planets and stars and poo poo bigger than 6 miles across?
My godammn immersion

Well actually there are quite a few ~10km radius moons in the solar system but none of them are spheres (look more like potatoes or whatever. basically asteroids captured by some larger object into a stable orbit)

In astronomical sense a "moon" is actually any natural satellite orbiting one of the planets (and dwarf planets?). Saturn for example has a moon with a radius of 250m (Aegaeon). Its just that our moon is one of the largest in the solar system so it probably makes a bit of a misconception of what a moon is. (But a ~10km radius moon would never that perfect of a ball).

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

I.N.R.I posted:

You should all meet up in real life and have gay sex with each other

There's an app for that

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

D_Smart posted:

It's a reference to this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uknz0/spoiler_the_beginning_of_squadron_42_and/cxglm1w

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tippis posted:

And the same idiocy applies to planetary rings
No it doesn't, that's my point. Saturn's rings for example are composed of particles up to tens of meters across, they're not just dust.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

My attorney has advised me to not speak on the matter, but rather to refer to him with $10 in hand if you wish to know the details of the case.

Otherwise everything will be detailed out in my next blog post.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Oh Grandpa, you're adorable.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I tried watching the Wing Commander movie last week because I heard it was awful but I wanted to experience it for myself.

It was real bad.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Star Citizen: My citizen card is flaking!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
page 594 needs to just be

Go gently caress yourself, Karl

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

tooterfish posted:

No it doesn't, that's my point. Saturn's rings for example are composed of particles up to tens of meters across, they're not just dust.

In other words, they look absolutely nothing like the asteroid thickets you see in space fiction: they are far too dense, they have far too large objects in them, while at the same time having far too few small objects, and they show up in the most nonsensical of places (such as in this case, where they appear around an asteroid-sized moon).

So yes, it's the same idiocy, only shifted to something else in an attempt to keep a cinematic visual that makes about as much sense as the aforementioned visual of ships falling “down” when shot.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
german auditor Karl / Matilda is now a legal expert who expects goons to get called to court to testify over ??? something

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Huckaby and Lesnick should do a live-stream where they attempt to play Alpha 2.0, like they did with Wing Commander.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
karl is imho, kind of hosed in the head

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Karls' got no loving idea how the real world works. Hey Karl when you regret spending $5k+ on Star Citizen, as you will, no really, you will, understand I'll feel bad for the normal punters getting sucked into this terrible marketing trap but I won't feel sorry for you at all.

I'll just laugh and quote your RSI Space Marshall account when you start complaining about features being missing/crap and how you feel betrayed.

There'll be no refunds then pal.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Renegret posted:

I tried watching the Wing Commander movie last week because I heard it was awful but I wanted to experience it for myself.

It was real bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9WFw56Mv1w

Quality.

I'm watching a french stream on twitch and it seems like the enemy spaceships have like 400000% more health now. Missiles and other stuff just aren't damaging enough anymore.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Eonwe posted:

karl is imho, kind of hosed in the head

Karl has by far the most angry and spiteful posting style I've ever seen. It's cool because he's all worked up about a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/299731/star-citizen-what-i-envision

• Locked thread