Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I didn't invest $20,000 into IBM back in 1983 I'm not making the same mistake with Star Citizen.

Also now that we're on 595 I'd like to take a moment to reflect on our experiences on 594 I think it was a pretty decent page so far as pages in this thread go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

AP posted:

Not having thousands "invested" in Star Citizen is a risk I'm just going to have to run, it may be something I deeply regret and golly would I feel silly.

Corrected that for you.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

:toot:
I'm proud to be a Star Citizen
Where at least I know I'm fleeced
:toot:

Misren
Nov 30, 2014

First the doctor told me the good news: I was going to have a disease named after me.

SirPhoebos posted:

A lot of talk about what the fallout from RSI collapsing would cause. My big fear is that a politician opens up the WSJ or FT, sees the headline: "Largest Crowdfunding Campaign Collapses: +$100M of Public Money Gone" and thinks ":morning: uhh well let's just treat all crowdfunded projects as listed corporations. Problem solved! Off to my next campaign event."

That would effectively kill crowdfunding, as no one except an already existing public company would be able to afford doing a Financial and Internal Control audit for a small endeavor.

Oh and I haven't had the chance to say this: go gently caress yourself, Karl.

The fallout from RSI collapsing would be more entertaining than anything it's released for SC. Crowdfunding has helped a couple neat concepts/games out but IMO not so many where it would really matter. Plus most people are loving dumb, with money especially, so it will happen sooner or later.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

would it be possible to codify in the law that kickstarter must provide that service?

In theory yes, but the problem would remain that someone has to pay for a financial and IC audit. Either Kickstarter goes out of business or it starts charging really high fees.

The regulatory solution imo would be for crowdfunded projects to have to provide a financial review to its backers. If the level of funding goes over a certain amount you can also require them to get a full audit. Again, I'm just speculating on :supaburn: scenarios.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

lol!! Ah so just trolling Karl then. Right :)

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Wow. All of Karl's posts are in either /r/StarCitizen or /r/DerekSmart.

Dude needs a hobby.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Is there a connection between auditor and redditor? I think there is

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tooterfish posted:

This is an image of Saturn's rings from the short film Wanderers, which took pains to be scientifically accurate so as far as I know it's a plausible rendition.

I'm not arguing that Star Citizen is anywhere close to realistic, I'm arguing that you're sperging so hard about realism that you're actually coming out at the other end and being just as wrong about ring systems as most sci fi is about asteroid fields.

…and my only point is that the asteroid thicket is a stupid convention, on the same level as the various versions of “falling down” that we make fun of in relation to Wing Commander.

Ring systems don't work as an excuse for a number of reasons: they have too few large objects (and “large” is still hellalot smaller than what the convention calls for); they should at the same time be a lot denser on the (even) smaller scale; and they are far too thin to actually offer the kind of obstacle course that they're meant to provide: just move a ship-length or two normal/anti-normal and you're clear of the debris. While the opponent deftly zig-zags between blocks of ice, dust, pebbles, and even the occasional rock, you lazily coast through open space and just shoot him from slightly above. They are simply not the navigational hazard needed for the visual to work. Oh, and they're not asteroid belts, which kind of ruins the whole thing to begin with. :D

And then, of course, more in relation to this latest abuse, there's the question of what they can form around. Chariklo is neat and all, but it's a pretty sizeable chunk of rock (in open space) compared to what we see here and yet it only manages to produce a two very wimpy rings. At 3 and 7km wide, they're pretty ignorable even if you fly through them radially.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

xanif posted:

Wow. All of Karl's posts are in either /r/StarCitizen or /r/DerekSmart.

Dude needs a hobby.
At this point, I'm pretty sure that /r/DerekSmart is his hobby.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Tippis posted:

…and my only point is that the asteroid thicket is a stupid convention, on the same level as the various versions of “falling down” that we make fun of in relation to Wing Commander.

Ring systems don't work as an excuse for a number of reasons: they have too few large objects (and “large” is still hellalot smaller than what the convention calls for); they should at the same time be a lot denser on the (even) smaller scale; and they are far too thin to actually offer the kind of obstacle course that they're meant to provide: just move a ship-length or two normal/anti-normal and you're clear of the debris. While the opponent deftly zig-zags between blocks of ice, dust, pebbles, and even the occasional rock, you lazily coast through open space and just shoot him from slightly above. They are simply not the navigational hazard needed for the visual to work. Oh, and they're not asteroid belts, which kind of ruins the whole thing to begin with. :D

And then, of course, more in relation to this latest abuse, there's the question of what they can form around. Chariklo is neat and all, but it's a pretty sizeable chunk of rock (in open space) compared to what we see here and yet it only manages to produce a two very wimpy rings. At 3 and 7km wide, they're pretty ignorable even if you fly through them radially.

yeah but its cool, space would be even more boring without dumb poo poo to fly around.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Google Butt posted:

yeah but its cool, space would be even more boring without dumb poo poo to fly around.

Wrecked capital ship/space station. Bam! Instant debris field that you can weave through, and not make it silly, and it would be visually more interesting than a bunch of comically densely packed rocks.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

:ironicat:

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler
:iceburn:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Has anyone considered the fact that thinking "Multi-Crew" will be fun is an illusion ? I find hard to beleive than without "level" or bonuses someone will be willing to go to "enginering" and stare at a control board while you fly your ship. Also from the stream all i could see for the co-pilot to do was manipulate thrusters level and shields, 2 things best left to the pilot since he or she is the one planning the next manoeuver.

i know deep down we would all love to fly around with our mates having fun and cheering in a cockpit but i fear it translate poorly in a video-game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Multi crew will never happen, you've got Commander McSperger on his million dollar jpeg, how many friends will he realistically have?
People will join in at first just to see the inside of the jpeg he got fleeced for but after an hour of 'taking orders' off him over VOIP they'll gtfo never to return.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

aleksendr posted:

Has anyone considered the fact that thinking "Multi-Crew" will be fun is an illusion ?
I could see it being fun in a game designed around that, sort of like a Star Trek simulator where everyone plays their part. But you need to design each role to be fun, and that is a whole game in itself.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Eonwe posted:

german auditor Karl / Matilda is now a legal expert who expects goons to get called to court to testify over ??? something
Psychology expert too:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

aleksendr posted:

Has anyone considered the fact that thinking "Multi-Crew" will be fun is an illusion ? I find hard to beleive than without "level" or bonuses someone will be willing to go to "enginering" and stare at a control board while you fly your ship. Also from the stream all i could see for the co-pilot to do was manipulate thrusters level and shields, 2 things best left to the pilot since he or she is the one planning the next manoeuver.

i know deep down we would all love to fly around with our mates having fun and cheering in a cockpit but i fear it translate poorly in a video-game.

It's what NPCs are for.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Trapezium Dave posted:

I could see it being fun in a game designed around that, sort of like a Star Trek simulator where everyone plays their part. But you need to design each role to be fun, and that is a whole game in itself.

This exists! http://artemis.eochu.com/

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
What did they do in Guns of Icarus, was it actually fun? Never got to play it.
It looked at least marginally interesting running around fixing stuff and hopping into different turrets.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Mirificus posted:

Psychology expert too:

The fact they didn't refund beer on the spot show's they're loving broke Karl, you loving moron.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Lexusbeat posted:

It looked at least marginally interesting running around fixing stuff and hopping into different turrets.

Very fun in my opinion but I'm the type of spergy person who loves playing support roles (healers in mmo's, etc) so I enjoyed running around literally putting out fires.

But that was constant action. I'm not sure how much someone would love staring at a control panel for 8 hours while the brave old captain flies the shipment of farm equipment from one system to the next.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Multi crew will never happen, you've got Commander McSperger on his million dollar jpeg, how many friends will he realistically have?
People will join in at first just to see the inside of the jpeg he got fleeced for but after an hour of 'taking orders' off him over VOIP they'll gtfo never to return.

Nevermind that those biggest jpegs have more crew than they can currently fit in an instance and they've been hammering away at the netcode since AC

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's what NPCs are for.

Can not WAIT to see that AI :lol:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

peter gabriel posted:

you've got Commander McSperger on his million dollar jpeg

That's my favorite space chanty, peter.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Lexusbeat posted:

GoI is/was very fun. It suffers (suffered, last time I checked the player count) from "teamwork is OP" and an extremely steep learning curve standing between people just cruising through with a pug group and a group of locked in friends who knew what they were doing. There weren't enough players to really split up the populations and it generally was something of a curbstomp. But when it worked it was very fun. Good crew management and the positioning of your vehicle against the terrain and the manner in which your weapons operated really came together in fantastic ways.

In addition to Artemis there's also the early access Pulsar: Lost Colony which is a 5 player PVE crew game where everyone plays their favorite Star Trek character and everyone generally is responsible for getting everyone else killed.

I'm sure there are more out there. They generally catch my interest as I find myself gravitating towards doing the thing that enables victory rather than directly nabbing it. But the titles that are based on cooperation within the context of being one part of a larger moving whole are few and far between. The new player/pick up group/I have no friends experience is generally pretty shoddy in those kinds of games.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

peter gabriel posted:

Can not WAIT to see that AI :lol:

Lol have they said anything about Ai at all?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Yeah, i got to try it a few times at Lan events and after you go past the first few "This is awesome !" hours you realise not all stations are really useful past the big 3 (Conn, Weapon, Enginering) and some go completely underused in some scenarios.

As for Guns of Icarus its slow airships duels with hand aimed weapons and no stations share controls, meaning the pilot cant shoot any weapons. Half your time in a match will be spend running around fixing things between taking potshots at the other ship and the other half waiting for the correct angle to shoot.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nation posted:

Lol have they said anything about Ai at all?

The only thing I remember seeing is some CIG staff saying they will be better or as good as human players, which while obviously bullshit is believable when you consider the average player

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

aleksendr posted:

Yeah, i got to try it a few times at Lan events and after you go past the first few "This is awesome !" hours you realise not all stations are really useful past the big 3 (Conn, Weapon, Enginering) and some go completely underused in some scenarios.

As for Guns of Icarus its slow airships duels with hand aimed weapons and no stations share controls, meaning the pilot cant shoot any weapons. Half your time in a match will be spend running around fixing things between taking potshots at the other ship and the other half waiting for the correct angle to shoot.

Yeah, Artemis has a really steep learning curve for not much reward :(

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

You are believes

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Notice how 'Matilda' wrote 'Nobody is going to kill HIMSELF...'

It's a strange thing for a supposed female to write.

Go gently caress yourself, Karl.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

fuctifino posted:

Go gently caress yourself, Karl.

It's almost Christmas time. Time to get myself some cookies.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hey Karl come back and post in here so we can tell you to go gently caress yourself to your face.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
it looks like BadNewsBaron gave up on the "stream until its stable!" idea after two days lol.

edit: actually it looks like he only lasted one day. He titles his stream "Crashapalooza" whenever he's playing SC.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen : all you're believes are belong to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
These Karl posts are some of the most amazing stuff to have come out of this thread. I'm soo full of :suspense: that I can't hardly wait for his next verbal diarrhea.

• Locked thread