Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you gotta give it up to the German education system

Karl is an expert in every field imaginable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also go gently caress yourself Karl

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ok guys I got some Christmas Cookies, tuck in y'all

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Eonwe posted:

you gotta give it up to the German education system

Karl is an expert in every field imaginable

Not half as German as his internet work ethic - after all, his diligence in being a completely horrible poster wherever he posts is second to none. After Seraph's blown his load, I think we can all agree on that much.

And for that...go gently caress yourself, Karl.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

peter gabriel posted:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

That guy is total bullshit. There is no way he's played nearly 5000 total games to full completion unless 4800 of those are his own vbasic 2 lines of code games.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Star Citizen scares the hell out of me posted:

Greetings Citizens,

Thanks to a certain post, I'm able to play PTU 2.0 Offline and have been doing just that for a few hours today. I'm a person who can very easily immerse himself into a game and give it my undivided attention and focus. First Person games take this a step further and depending on a few factors, I'm more or less right in the action and feel it to a sometimes frightening degree.

This is the case of Star Citizen. There are three jump points that make me feel weird, outright frightened at times, and those are (excuse the lack of names, in this version the jump points have no information attached to them) the FPS combat station orbiting the moon, the abandoned station orbiting another small planet (or moon) and the asteroid field with the small moon.

Why do they frighten me? Because my brain immerses itself way too deep into this game and the sheer mass and scale of these is scaring. It doesn't help that you die when you get to close, so these massive rocks seem like lumbering giants to me, who crush me when I get to close. Every time I quantum travel and they appear out of nowhere my instinct makes me want to jump off my chair and my stomach starts to feel a little weird.

Same goes for jumping into nowhere. When you're out there and there is nothing around you, only stars and darkness, it makes me feel kind off scared as well. I'm not astronaut material, that is what Star Citizen has taught me so far. But it's so much fun! I just need to fly a multicrew ship and have some people with me, the lonliness is also an aspect in all of this.

Here's a little video of it (Turn town head phones it's loud).

Another weird thing with this offline version is that it seems to replay the sound effect of a ship coming out of Quantum Travel when you used QT recently, and really god drat loud. So I was landing on the FPS station and suddenly this sound effect played and I almost jumped, thinking a giant ship just showed up behind me, because it was just this loud.

tl;dr: Space is scary.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

aleksendr posted:

Has anyone considered the fact that thinking "Multi-Crew" will be fun is an illusion ? I find hard to beleive than without "level" or bonuses someone will be willing to go to "enginering" and stare at a control board while you fly your ship. Also from the stream all i could see for the co-pilot to do was manipulate thrusters level and shields, 2 things best left to the pilot since he or she is the one planning the next manoeuver.

i know deep down we would all love to fly around with our mates having fun and cheering in a cockpit but i fear it translate poorly in a video-game.

The problem with multi-crew is that, unless you limit the stations to fun stuff (engineering, weapons), you basically need to make an entire game based around it otherwise people will basically be holding their dicks in their hand.

As people said with Artemis, its very limited. The only good multi-crew games are in the Pen and Paper realm where you have a GM controlling things so he can throw poo poo at everyone so everyone has something to do. And it wouldn't be a bad idea. A multi-crew game with some sort of NWN system where you have a GM who can alter the story. That's really the only way I see multi-crew working in a game. In Star Citizen I imagine 99% of the time NPCs will be used and people who are imagining some sort of Star Trek fantasy aren't being realistic.

Dusty Lens posted:

EVE is an actual game. Which is a no joke pretty major problem for people who have decided to buy into the Star Citizen mythos. gfyk etc.

Their behavior reminds me of what I did when I was ten, make up pretend video games with an impossible amount of features and then I played it in my head. They're doing that, except in just spitballing and imagining on a forum, they're spending hundreds and thousands and actually expect it to be real.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tippis posted:

…and my only point is that the asteroid thicket is a stupid convention, on the same level as the various versions of “falling down” that we make fun of in relation to Wing Commander.

Ring systems don't work as an excuse for a number of reasons: they have too few large objects (and “large” is still hellalot smaller than what the convention calls for); they should at the same time be a lot denser on the (even) smaller scale; and they are far too thin to actually offer the kind of obstacle course that they're meant to provide: just move a ship-length or two normal/anti-normal and you're clear of the debris. While the opponent deftly zig-zags between blocks of ice, dust, pebbles, and even the occasional rock, you lazily coast through open space and just shoot him from slightly above. They are simply not the navigational hazard needed for the visual to work. Oh, and they're not asteroid belts, which kind of ruins the whole thing to begin with. :D

And then, of course, more in relation to this latest abuse, there's the question of what they can form around. Chariklo is neat and all, but it's a pretty sizeable chunk of rock (in open space) compared to what we see here and yet it only manages to produce a two very wimpy rings. At 3 and 7km wide, they're pretty ignorable even if you fly through them radially.

Even Saturn's rings are super-thin. I believe they're something like 10 meters thick in most places, meaning you'd have a hard time fitting anything in there if you even wanted to fly though the rings.

A more visually-exciting area would be what they referred to in Gundam as "shoal zones", where major space battles happened and you're fighting in wrecked colony cylinders and the remains of capital ships all cluster together.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Flaw in plan spotted abort abort

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dapper Dan posted:

Their behavior reminds me of what I did when I was ten, make up pretend video games with an impossible amount of features and then I played it in my head. They're doing that, except in just spitballing and imagining on a forum, they're spending hundreds and thousands and actually expect it to be real.

I used to do that with the first X-com, Adding layers and layers of options and "would it not be awesome if ?" in my head before going to sleep.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

aleksendr posted:

I used to do that with the first X-com, Adding layers and layers of options and "would it not be awesome if ?" in my head before going to sleep.

The only thing I ever wanted from X-COM was for someone to reskin it as a Necromunda game.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The only thing I ever wanted from X-COM was for someone to reskin it as a Necromunda game.

That would be sweet as hell

peter gabriel posted:

Flaw in plan spotted abort abort

You mean no one wants to be the cargo re-arranger in the multi-ship? Or the janitor? Or Science where you click a button to scan something and wait?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

That guy is total bullshit. There is no way he's played nearly 5000 total games to full completion unless 4800 of those are his own vbasic 2 lines of code games.

I guess theoretically it's possible, I am sure a lot of people admire him for it.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
I'm not sure I like Peter's new av over the old one. The old one seemed so much more joyful, and full of life.

Also go gently caress yourself Karl.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

I'm not sure I like Peter's new av over the old one. The old one seemed so much more joyful, and full of life.

Also go gently caress yourself Karl.

Yeah I am in 2 minds as well

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

quote:

I've played every Alpha, every Beta, every cash grab, and every fanboy game.

P.S: I'm not a fanboy. Never understood the mentality behind fanboy(ism).

I had to just lol

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah I am in 2 minds as well

But what does your heart tell you?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dapper Dan posted:

You mean no one wants to be the cargo re-arranger in the multi-ship? Or the janitor? Or Science where you click a button to scan something and wait?

You can have such a game and make it fun. Look at Puzzle Pirate. Having a few people doing good at some puzzles make a real difference in ship combat and having a good navigator can make voyages nearly half as long. But then the game was balanced around such things from the very begining.

A BAD way to do it is like in Startrek Online. The "Scanning..." minigame was a pass/fail, giving the same result no matter how fast you did solve it, turning the thing into a fun tax. Its like the new "repair" minigame they are sporting. From the look of things its just a pick the best materials and click "repair" while it could be a fun minigame where you either quicken the repair time or lower the cost based on your success. I would totally be down to do the "Cargo Tetris" minigame if it mean i can get a 25% increase in cargo space without any cost if i do well or if i can actually make my cargo "lighter" for the flight model (representing it being well stowed) but there is no way i'm doing it if my friends are waiting onboard to fly the next mission.

But then your player would have a real impact on the economy, and we cant have that, cant we ?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dapper Dan posted:

The problem with multi-crew is that, unless you limit the stations to fun stuff (engineering, weapons), you basically need to make an entire game based around it otherwise people will basically be holding their dicks in their hand.
I've got two words for you: Mini-Games.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
What always gets me about Karl isn't the terrible attempts at pretending to be someone else with all the easily verifiable information they stupidly left out there for people to track down, it's the fact he can't even own up to the fact that he spent money on Star Citizen. He can't, even as a defender of this game and more than capable of spitting some truly abhorrent poo poo at people, stand up and proudly say he bought ships for Star Citizen because he believes it's a good project. He thinks he's pretending to be a capable neutral party to argue but then he still admits he has ships of some sort for the game, so he's basically just too chickenshit to own up to his own commitments.

With his stalking of Bootcha as he did it's obvious he was always a coward, but he couldn't even allow himself to be held accountable for money spent that he wanted to spend on a project he wants to succeed.

So him trying to preach at Beer about Beer's character, when he himself is a creepy stalker, a lovely bargain basement liar, and a backbone-less manchild is loving rich.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Every day I wake up and wish this happened.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

But what does your heart tell you?

My heart tells me to dance

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

aleksendr posted:

You can have such a game and make it fun. Look at Puzzle Pirate. Having a few people doing good at some puzzles make a real difference in ship combat and having a good navigator can make voyages nearly half as long. But then the game was balanced around such things from the very begining.

A BAD way to do it is like in Startrek Online. The "Scanning..." minigame was a pass/fail, giving the same result no matter how fast you did solve it, turning the thing into a fun tax. Its like the new "repair" minigame they are sporting. From the look of things its just a pick the best materials and click "repair" while it could be a fun minigame where you either quicken the repair time or lower the cost based on your success. I would totally be down to do the "Cargo Tetris" minigame if it mean i can get a 25% increase in cargo space without any cost if i do well or if i can actually make my cargo "lighter" for the flight model (representing it being well stowed) but there is no way i'm doing it if my friends are waiting onboard to fly the next mission.

But then your player would have a real impact on the economy, and we cant have that, cant we ?

Hmmm I wonder if CIG will go down the Puzzle Pirates fun route or the Star Trek generic sci fi dull route.
I wonder. I reeeeeally can't call it.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

My heart tells me to dance

My daughter prefer the new one, asking "When will the dancing kitty return ?" while i browse the thread.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Oh that's my bad, sorry. I doubled down on my investment.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
The old dancecat was better :(

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

aleksendr posted:

My daughter prefer the new one, asking "When will the dancing kitty return ?" while i browse the thread.

Awwww :3:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ag Bengip posted:

The old dancecat was better :(

I am so confused I don't know what I have done

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

aleksendr posted:

that's adorablllleeeeeee :ohdear:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Lime Tonics posted:

I'm watching a french stream on twitch and it seems like the enemy spaceships have like 400000% more health now. Missiles and other stuff just aren't damaging enough anymore.

They've been balanced around the Constellation's main guns. It can kill stuff in 2 or 3 solid hits. The Super-Hornet is also still extremely capable. Every other ship can go suck poo poo, as far as CIG is concerned. (No doubt it will be balanced at some point).

RE: people talking about that tiny moon- it is weirdly out of proportion with the rest of the world, there's already a discussion in the Issue Council about it with a bunch of people providing documentation about why a moon that small wouldn't even be round, much less hold any kind of asteroids. Summarily ignored of course, but I think it's a pretty minor point to begin with. There's nothing going on at that location, it's just random set dressing.

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizen who is scared of the vastness of space

I know we're mostly posting this to mock people who are way too invested in this game, but I get this too in a lot of games. I think it's some weird kind of agoraphobia- vast empty spaces creep me right the hell out. I do find SC to be a little creepy, sometimes, but it's nowhere near as bad as elite dangerous for this.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Iglocska posted:

I guess theoretically it's possible, I am sure a lot of people admire him for it.

I can't even fathom theoretically on that scale. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer... I mean I've invested (wasted) time on about 250 of my near 500 game steam library. Granted I've got thousands (near 6k on my warrior alone) of hours into world of warcraft.... you know, maybe if those had been spent on.. nevermind. I don't want to think about this anymore.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/300153/retaliator-first-true-multiplayer-ship-a-failure-before-release

The retaliator is going exactly the same way as the cutlass, except this time they've been using it as their flagship for 2.0. In a metaphorical sense, it kind of is. It's very pretty and it is functional, in the sense that you can get in it and fly around. But there are no crew stations, none of the gun turrets work, it only has a S3 shield, the torpedoes don't seem to work unless their target is motionless, the pilot has no self-defense weapons, and on and on. In its defense people are saying things like "It's a bomber, bombers aren't good at fighting" but they specifically sold modules for non-bomber roles, and it's going to suck at every one of those too. Even if the turrets did work, they're in awkward positions where half their view is blocked by the ship itself, and there will never be a situation where one guy in a turret is more valuable than a guy in a hornet. It's a beautifully rendered but completely worthless flying target before it's even left the first alpha test. In every way except possibly delivering ordinance against ships that don't exist right now, it is completely inferior to the Constellation. If the Constellation were capable of carrying those missiles it'd be better at that job too. It would probably be redeemable with some major rework, similar to the Cutlass, except CIG has walled itself off from community feedback pretty thoroughly at this point.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Here's the best video of exciting multicrew 2.0 action I could find:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpWn3E3ya_M

CIG designers sat down and figured out how to make a screen full of shield controls even less fun by having you stare helplessly at SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE half the time.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

I can't even fathom theoretically on that scale. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer... I mean I've invested (wasted) time on about 250 of my near 500 game steam library. Granted I've got thousands (near 6k on my warrior alone) of hours into world of warcraft.... you know, maybe if those had been spent on.. nevermind. I don't want to think about this anymore.

6000 hours, counting with 8 hours to complete an average game, that's 750 games. If you add up the time you've spent spamming devastate, you probably end up with the time needed to finish 2-3 games in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/300153/retaliator-first-true-multiplayer-ship-a-failure-before-release

The retaliator is going exactly the same way as the cutlass, except this time they've been using it as their flagship for 2.0. In a metaphorical sense, it kind of is. It's very pretty and it is functional, in the sense that you can get in it and fly around. But there are no crew stations, none of the gun turrets work, it only has a S3 shield, the torpedoes don't seem to work unless their target is motionless, the pilot has no self-defense weapons, and on and on. In its defense people are saying things like "It's a bomber, bombers aren't good at fighting" but they specifically sold modules for non-bomber roles, and it's going to suck at every one of those too. Even if the turrets did work, they're in awkward positions where half their view is blocked by the ship itself, and there will never be a situation where one guy in a turret is more valuable than a guy in a hornet. It's a beautifully rendered but completely worthless flying target before it's even left the first alpha test. In every way except possibly delivering ordinance against ships that don't exist right now, it is completely inferior to the Constellation. If the Constellation were capable of carrying those missiles it'd be better at that job too. It would probably be redeemable with some major rework, similar to the Cutlass, except CIG has walled itself off from community feedback pretty thoroughly at this point.

If they go down the wing commander route with torpedo run (Very long lock time where you have to stay almost motionless, slow projectile speed) those things are going to get shredded to tiny space bits by other players, no matter how good the escorts are.

But then again everything is theorycrafting in a vacuum, so i say "Meh".

• Locked thread