Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I heard on a podcast today that Jerry Jarrett was the one tapped to run WWF if Vince went down on the steroids trial. That seems weird to me, as a plan B. But I must say, can you imagine how cool Giant Smokey Mountain (essentially) would have been with the New Generation roster? Much cooler timeline than ours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Yeah, Vince was doing a lot of business with the USWA at that time, even appearing as a heel character on USWA programming. It's clear they had a good working relationship, at that time at least.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Frankston posted:

Hi, I'm really sick of WWE and I want to start watching NJPW. Is there a way to do this in the UK, preferably for free?

You can watch day 1 of the Tag League for free to get a bit of a taste:

http://njpwworld.com/pg/s_series_00357_1

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

projecthalaxy posted:

I heard on a podcast today that Jerry Jarrett was the one tapped to run WWF if Vince went down on the steroids trial. That seems weird to me, as a plan B. But I must say, can you imagine how cool Giant Smokey Mountain (essentially) would have been with the New Generation roster? Much cooler timeline than ours.

Vince respected Jerry a lot because Vince Sr. was very close to him. Jerry said they'd just talk on the phone for hours every Sunday when Vince was in the shits with the steroid trial. Vince was sure he was going to go down and after a few weeks of persuading convinced Jerry to agree that if he went down, Jerry would take over the office in his place because he didn't trust anyone in his inner circle to see the big picture. Then Nailz happened and it never came to that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Vince respected Jerry a lot because Vince Sr. was very close to him. Jerry said they'd just talk on the phone for hours every Sunday when Vince was in the shits with the steroid trial. Vince was sure he was going to go down and after a few weeks of persuading convinced Jerry to agree that if he went down, Jerry would take over the office in his place because he didn't trust anyone in his inner circle to see the big picture. Then Nailz happened and it never came to that.

Makes sense. I'd still love to see the Monday Night Wars between WCW and Memphis WWE.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

dsriggs posted:

Yeah, Vince was doing a lot of business with the USWA at that time, even appearing as a heel character on USWA programming. It's clear they had a good working relationship, at that time at least.

Yeah, the reason Vince was so good as the Mr McMahon character off the bat because he'd already done it in Memphis as a foil for Lawler, if I recall.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, the reason Vince was so good as the Mr McMahon character off the bat because he'd already done it in Memphis as a foil for Lawler, if I recall.

He did, and some of the promos are loving amazing. If you search for McMemphis on Youtube, the entirety of the angle is in chronological order.

Vince McMahon's Gomer Pyle impression is pretty good, too.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
what date was the smackdown show where angle made pedo sounding threats towards rey mysterio?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Thauros posted:

You can watch day 1 of the Tag League for free to get a bit of a taste:

http://njpwworld.com/pg/s_series_00357_1

Thanks. I think there's a nazi tag team.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Frankston posted:

Oh that's just the Bullet Club, they're not Nazis, they're dirty foreigners headed up by a flippy twink.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 26, 2015

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Isnt that The Addiction not the BC?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Christopher Daniels actually is a nazi, so that would make sense

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Nazis? In New Japan?

...oh

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Frankston posted:

As some others have said that's probably the Addiction. Chris Daniels is the Ring General so he wears a fancy military jacket

And I guess Kazarian might also look like some kind of white supremacist if you get that vibe from Daniels, since he's got a biker vest with a million patches on it

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

DynamiteKidd posted:

As some others have said that's probably the Addiction. Chris Daniels is the Ring General so he wears a fancy military jacket

And I guess Kazarian might also look like some kind of white supremacist if you get that vibe from Daniels, since he's got a biker vest with a million patches on it

That's because he's THE HEAVY METAL REBEL FRANKIE KAZARIAN

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Addiction are so loving good. Are they getting proper love in NJPW?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

rotinaj posted:

The Addiction are so loving good. Are they getting proper love in NJPW?

I hope Daniels is extolling the appletini over the sake.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What was RINGS? From the information I can find it was either a promotion that mixed shoot and worked matches or a puro fed that slowly went legit. How correct is that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

What was RINGS? From the information I can find it was either a promotion that mixed shoot and worked matches or a puro fed that slowly went legit. How correct is that

The latter is pretty accurate. It was a shoot style group that slowly became a full shoot as Maeda's career wound down.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So, the pose. Who did it first, after the statue anyway, Tanahashi or Orton? My thoughts are likely Orton as I haven't seen Tanahashi before Wrestle Kingdom 3 in 09 where he used it, but I simply don't know.

Second question, When is the last time Mutoh did the Space Rolling Elbow? Video games still gave it to him well into his bald, knee you in the face run, but I never remember seeing him do it after cutting his hair off and changing his style.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 30, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Quote is not edit.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Smoking Crow posted:

Both. Started out as all works and started mixing in more and more shoots until it became all shoot.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

remusclaw posted:

So, the pose. Who did it first, after the statue anyway, Tanahashi or Orton? My thoughts are likely Orton as I haven't seen Tanahashi before Wrestle Kingdom 3 in 09 where he used it, but I simply don't know.

Second question, When is the last time Mutoh did the Space Rolling Elbow? Video games still gave it to him well into his bald, knee you in the face run, but I never remember seeing him do it after cutting his hair off and changing his style.

Do you mean Okada's Rainmaker pose? Tanahshi's done it in matches against Okada to mock him but they're slightly different poses regardless. Orton raises the left arm higher and his head is angled off to the side whereas Okada's head is tilted back and up and both arms are at the same height.

vs

edit: huh maybe I'm wrong

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 30, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Eh, he was doing it after he beat Mutoh at Wrestle Kingdom 3, so it does predate Okada.

Even earlier:

The last is from 2006 in in this match against AJ Styles in TNA;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR4Tt_BSMZ0

time stamp 1:40. Hard to say if it counts, even then Orton was legend killing as of the year prior, when did he start doing it?

This match also ends with AJ Styles hitting the Clash with no arm hooks, did he not add that until later, or was it just a weird outlier?
That match sent me looking for a Tanahashi v Scott Hall 2001 G1 match I could not find but I did get to see him and Kesuke Sasaki fight The Steiner Brothers in 01, including Tanahashi Taking a Screwdriver.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 30, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i liked tanahashi's bouncy walk he used to do and does in that wrestle kingdom recap youtube

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

remusclaw posted:

time stamp 1:40. Hard to say if it counts, even then Orton was legend killing as of the year prior, when did he start doing it?

The pose is one of the two things randy has pretty much always done (the other being the headlock of course)

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Did Orton start doing the pose before he got 'Burn in my light'? That was in 2004.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

HerraS posted:

Did Orton start doing the pose before he got 'Burn in my light'? That was in 2004.

Yup, he had the pose and the old Evolution theme when he won the title at Summerslam 2004.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
he had the pose before he got hurt and kept us updated with the RNN hell he is doing the pose in the opening of all his trons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjGbT0l637Q

I dont know if this is one of his official trons but he is kinda doing it before jumping off the ropes in it

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 30, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Reminder that Randy's first finisher was the crossbody version of the High Fly Flow, to continue the Tanahashi parallel.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Reminder that Randy's first finisher was the crossbody version of the High Fly Flow, to continue the Tanahashi parallel.

He got mad height with it, too

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

he had the pose before he got hurt and kept us updated with the RNN hell he is doing the pose in the opening of all his trons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjGbT0l637Q

I dont know if this is one of his official trons but he is kinda doing it before jumping off the ropes in it

I think that's just because doing a crossbody without extending your arms would be kinda dumb

someone has probably done it though

edit: rey mysterio looked dumb when he did that

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
It's crazy that someone in the past 15 years used a flying crossbody as a finish

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Luigi Thirty posted:

I just want to say that I was literally in the room when Nailz happened and it was pretty great. The big galoot had no idea what the word "animosity" meant. TBF the prosecution testimony of Hogan and Warrior probably helped Vince just as much. Basically everyone's line was "yeah I used steroids but Vince never gave them to me."

But yeah, the trial was in Long Island right down the block from Nassau Coliseum (R.I.P.). Not sure why it was there, or why civilians were welcome to just come in and watch. But it made for a very surreal summer for young Minidust and his dad!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Public trials are pretty important to our legal system. And yeah, when the New Generation Podcast quoted Nailz's testimony I couldn't stop laughing. Good old Nailz, immediately flip flopping in court and being a heel for not wanting to be police brutalized.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Minidust posted:

I just want to say that I was literally in the room when Nailz happened and it was pretty great. The big galoot had no idea what the word "animosity" meant. TBF the prosecution testimony of Hogan and Warrior probably helped Vince just as much. Basically everyone's line was "yeah I used steroids but Vince never gave them to me."

But yeah, the trial was in Long Island right down the block from Nassau Coliseum (R.I.P.). Not sure why it was there, or why civilians were welcome to just come in and watch. But it made for a very surreal summer for young Minidust and his dad!

If have to go back and check but it was a jurisdictional issue, where they caught the steroid deals at the Nassau Coliseum.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Ah, that all makes sense. I'll have to check out that New Generation Podcast. I recall a lot of time being spent with Zahorian, the steroid doctor, but obviously my 13-year-old self was marking hard when Hogan, Warrior, Big John Studd (via telephone) and Nailz took the stand. And Afa was sitting in the seat behind us. My late grandpa was actually visible in a news clip they used in the Hogan vs. Vince video package at Wrestlemania 19 :3:.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Somewhere I have a photograph of my grampa shirtless in his 60s and posing next to a cardboard cutout of Nailz. I don't know why this photo exists.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Even when I was a kid I thought Nailz sucked. Maybe because I also thought the Big Boss Man sucked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Maybe because I also thought the Big Boss Man sucked?

I hope you have since accepted that kid you was a stupid wrong person.