Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Raxivace posted:

I haven't seen it myself, but I heard it's better than the Nolan version.

I haven't seen the Nolan version, but this one is very good. I just ordered it and Frances Ha.

Safe Driver posted:

Canadian dollar is still too weak to splurge :(

Seriously. I had like 5 blu-rays in my cart then I checked what the conversion was and that's just too much to spend right now, especially on blind buys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Yeah, it's no better than just buying them at HMV. It sucks.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

If you want a boxset, the Cineplex store has some (The Apu Trilogy) and they're doing a 4x SCENE bonus thing. For example, The Apu Trilogy is 80.99 total but you get 3000ish SCENE points good for 3 regular admissions so it's kinda okay if you go to the movies a lot. If you were to get it from BN it's 70 CAD but you don't get three free movies at the theater with it!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Safe Driver posted:

If you want a boxset, the Cineplex store has some (The Apu Trilogy) and they're doing a 4x SCENE bonus thing. For example, The Apu Trilogy is 80.99 total but you get 3000ish SCENE points good for 3 regular admissions so it's kinda okay if you go to the movies a lot. If you were to get it from BN it's 70 CAD but you don't get three free movies at the theater with it!

They have a sale around Christmas/Boxing day too, so it's a pretty good deal. But Mulholland Dr. is $5 cheaper than the other Criterions at HMV for some reason so it's good enough for me!

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to see a Criterion release of a great modern action movie like Die Hard or even The Matrix.

This is from last page, but I'd kill for both of these. Criterion has gotten out of their own butts a little lately with things like Watership Down and Repo Man, but I think that's asking a bit much.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The sweet spot for genre movie/important for historical context/maybe actually available/would love to see special features is a Near Dark release

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

The sweet spot for genre movie/important for historical context/maybe actually available/would love to see special features is a Near Dark release

Yea I'd say Near Dark would be a prime candidate. Bigelow is a well-known successful director and Near Dark has been somewhat overshadowed by her more recent output.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

morestuff posted:

Yo, I never realized how much I want this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

i have the old special edition 2 disc DVD with tons of extras which is dope but yeah i'd like to see it in high def. there was that blu ray with the awful cover from when Twilight was the big thing but it went out of print quick.

possibly the best American film of the 1980s. possibly the best American film of all time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hows the transfer on the current Die Hard blu ray box set? Would there be any benefit to Criterion getting their hands on it other than special features?

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner

Safe Driver posted:

Pretty good deals for a Canadian. Didn't realize SCENE sells movies.

I have some blu-rays that I don't care much for, and would like to trade with someone within Canada for other Criterion blu-rays:
- Overlord
- Two-Lane Blacktop
- Kiss Me Deadly
- World on a Wire
- Diabolique
- The Samurai Trilogy

Let me know if you are interested in trading.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Basebf555 posted:

Hows the transfer on the current Die Hard blu ray box set? Would there be any benefit to Criterion getting their hands on it other than special features?

Not too good. The currently used transfer on the original Die Hard dates back to 2007.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are there any Akira special features that never made it past laser disc?

FAKEEDIT:
Give me an excuse to buy a laser disc player and Akira on laser disc.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Someone dumped their collection at half price books and I picked up Mafioso, Coup de Torchon and The Unbearable Lightness of Being for 15 each. I'll be back later in the week to see if more OOP titles pop up.

Edit: Unbearable Lightness was a bootleg but the other two are real. Criterion confirmed it for me, great customer service.

Cloks fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 24, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've done pretty well with this sale so far, added a lot of good stuff to my collection. Picked up Fanny and Alexander,The Last Emperor, The Killing, and Kwaidan. I haven't seen Kwaidan yet but I'm really excited, I've read about its stylized look and I love horror anthologies in general.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Before this sale I only had Godzilla on blu ray and Chasing Amy on DVD.

After the sale I have Seven Samurai, Ikiru, The Hidden Fortress, Nashville, F For Fake, The Royal Tenenbaums, Watership Down, Breathless, The Brood, Mulholland Drive, Scanners, The Fantastic Mr. Fox, Brazil, Videodrome, Rushmore, and Moonrise Kingdom. I also plan to get The Complete Jacques Tati and preorder Inside Llewyn Davis and The Graduate. I also got the complete Hayao Miyazaki this month.

I think I have a problem.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
In case anyone's not aware, there's a Thanksgiving code active for $10 off using the coupon BNTURKEY10 - worked with my order and pretty much negated international shipping. Picked up Ikiru, The Hidden Fortress, Tokyo Story, and The Brood.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I, Butthole posted:

In case anyone's not aware, there's a Thanksgiving code active for $10 off using the coupon BNTURKEY10 - worked with my order and pretty much negated international shipping. Picked up Ikiru, The Hidden Fortress, Tokyo Story, and The Brood.

Does this code stack with the Criterion 50% off sale AND the Black Friday 30% off sale this weekend?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
When I entered BNTURKEY10 it tells me it's expired.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dr.Caligari posted:

When I entered BNTURKEY10 it tells me it's expired.

Yeah I'm getting the same thing. Couldn't even use the code yesterday because it didn't apply to items in my cart or something.

EDIT: Oh well, I decided to order the Nikkatsu Noir set anyways. When the movies have amazing titles like "A Colt is My Passport", "Cruel Gun Story", and "Take Aim At the Police Van", I'm sure they'll still be worth the $27 I paid.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 27, 2015

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Add me to the list of many people who picked up Kwaidan. I've wanted to see it ever since I saw a photo and caption in Famous Monsters decades ago. (The monk with the wards inked all over his face and body)

I also picked up the non-Criterion Adventures of Baron Munchausen for $9.99.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Wizchine posted:

I also picked up the non-Criterion Adventures of Baron Munchausen for $9.99.

Good, more laserdiscs for the rest of us.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is Mr. Freedom any good? It looks ridiculous.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

I've been pretty conservative with my Criterion purchases, only buying 2 (Mulholland Drive and Picnic at Hanging Rock), but now I have this cyber Monday deal sitting in my hands. Maybe it's time for me to finally pick up Seven Samurai, but I'm a little worried that I won't like it. Though I did love A Bug's Life (which is apparently based on Seven Samurai) when I was a kid haha.

Man, I really wish Chungking Express is in print, I would love to have that movie.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really don't want to oversell it but I can't imagine someone not liking Seven Samurai, it's one I would consider putting in a greatest-film-of-all-time category and absolutely lived up to the hype. Have you seen or liked any other Kurosawa films? If so you probably know what you're getting into to a certain extent, just "bigger"/"better".

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

I really don't want to oversell it but I can't imagine someone not liking Seven Samurai, it's one I would consider putting in a greatest-film-of-all-time category and absolutely lived up to the hype. Have you seen or liked any other Kurosawa films? If so you probably know what you're getting into to a certain extent, just "bigger"/"better".

Yeah, I saw Ikiru and Rashomon. I really liked Ikiru, actually, but for some reason Rashomon left me cold...which surprised me because I thought I'd like it. I guess I'm afraid that something similar would happen with Seven Samurai.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like Rashomon but it's kind of rough around the edges, especially Mifune's over the top performance. Seven Samurai is heaps better I'd say.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i just rewatched Seven Samurai and it really is the most crowd-pleasing 3+ hour movie ever made. Mifune's so dope in it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I've shown Seven Samurai to a few "non-movie" people and they enjoyed way more than I expected. Trying to talk them into Lawrence of Arabia now and that's not working so well.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I somehow convinced a group of stoners who normally have crazy ADD when watching movies to watch Seven Samurai in college and they could not have been more enthralled. A few of them asked me how the movie could have possibly been more than 3 hours because it felt like nothing.

Seven Samurai is seriously one of the best.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There are days when I think Seven Samurai is the best movie ever made. I will say the movie is a bit more of slow burn than you may expect though, at least the first time watching it.

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I've shown Seven Samurai to a few "non-movie" people and they enjoyed way more than I expected. Trying to talk them into Lawrence of Arabia now and that's not working so well.

FWIW I watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time recently and thought it was terrible. I know it's based on historical figures and events, but the whole "Look at how great this white guy is for helping these brown people!" angle seemed kind of racist to me, but even worse than that it's just kind of boring.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

FWIW I watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time recently and thought it was terrible. I know it's based on historical figures and events, but the whole "Look at how great this white guy is for helping these brown people!" angle seemed kind of racist to me

Lawrence of Arabia is way more complex than that if you're willing to dig into it even a little.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

FWIW I watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time recently and thought it was terrible. I know it's based on historical figures and events, but the whole "Look at how great this white guy is for helping these brown people!" angle seemed kind of racist to me, but even worse than that it's just kind of boring.

Its kinda like, the opposite of that. I'd recommend watching it again but its pretty long so I imagine you probably won't. Its a shame because Lawrence of Arabia is one of THE best films of all-time, so you're missing out on something great. The visuals didn't do anything for you?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Its kinda like, the opposite of that. I'd recommend watching it again but its pretty long so I imagine you probably won't. Its a shame because Lawrence of Arabia is one of THE best films of all-time, so you're missing out on something great. The visuals didn't do anything for you?

It seemed to me that the better visuals in the film were used to transition between scenes (Like nice shots of the sun setting over the desert and the like), but I got the impression that most of the rest of the movie was more like a filmed stage-play (Outside of the few battle scenes I seem to remember the movie having). Like I think the film's script could pretty easily be turned into a play without too much being lost from what's in Lean's film.

I do want to try the movie again at some point since I'm in the extreme minority for not liking it (And there are plenty of movies I've seen where a second watch has completely changed my opinion), but yeah that four hour running time is keeping me away from giving it another shot any time soon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

It seemed to me that the better visuals in the film were used to transition between scenes (Like nice shots of the sun setting over the desert and the like), but I got the impression that most of the rest of the movie was more like a filmed stage-play (Outside of the few battle scenes I seem to remember the movie having). Like I think the film's script could pretty easily be turned into a play without too much being lost from what's in Lean's film.

I suppose that's true to a certain extent, but there's so many of them in the film that I'm not sure why that matters. Every 3-5 minutes there's another jaw-dropping shot of the desert, who cares if its a scene transition?

It does kinda suck though that the movie is a one-shot deal for most people, if they don't like it the first time they aren't going to sit through it a second time. Makes me sad because Lawrence of Arabia is one of those films that really transports me somewhere, its one of those rare film experiences that I can just immerse myself in completely.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Raxivace posted:

I got the impression that most of the rest of the movie was more like a filmed stage-play

Did you watch the right movie?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

I suppose that's true to a certain extent, but there's so many of them in the film that I'm not sure why that matters. Every 3-5 minutes there's another jaw-dropping shot of the desert, who cares if its a scene transition?

Obviously it's not bad that the film looks good during these parts, I just wish the rest of the film looked as good (Especially when it's so long). IOW I wish the movie was a bit more cinematic, or made better use of the medium, in a way that I think other "greatest films of all time" do so.

Like for comparison, I still think Seven Samurai (Or Rashomon, or Vertigo, or 2001, or Barry Lyndon, or a whole host of other masterpieces) would still be a pretty good watch with the audio and subtitles off, since so much information is conveyed in those films through visuals and editing. I'm not sure how good people would find LoA under similar conditions. Maybe they would it amazing still and I'm completely wrong, I dunno.

caiman posted:

Did you watch the right movie?

Pretty sure I did.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Seven Samurai is basically the most accessible foreign language film there is, despite the length and despite some of the themes depending on the nuances of historical Japan. It's amazingly watchable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I need to watch Seven Samurai. It's been sitting on my shelf since I bought it two years ago, but it's surprisingly hard to find time for a 3 hour movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

lol if you didn't rent Seven Samurai back when you were 14 as a beat-up double VHS from Embassy Home Video so you could have ~film cred~