Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

who is this wilhelm person and why are his shaving habits so important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Pharnakes posted:

What does that do, replace the Aztecs in sunset invasion?

Nope, just adds Aegon and his sisters and instead of Westeros they just try to take Europe and forge the Iron Throne there instead. No DLCs or anything required.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I wish there was still a version with Europe instead of Essos. That was great.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Obfuscation posted:

The dragons are easily the best part of that mod, someone should mod dragons to normal CK2 too.

"Friends/Dragons" :3:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Stellaris DD, about tech:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-11-research-technology.893377/

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Center view over Africa / Middle East; all scientists are black.

I love it, you guys!!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

DrSunshine posted:

Center view over Africa / Middle East; all scientists are black.

I love it, you guys!!

But all the scientist names come from Latin-derived languages!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

YF-23 posted:

But all the scientist names come from Latin-derived languages!

Clearly evidence and remnants of the tyrannical and barbaric colonialism that the Human race has now transcended as it united under a common banner for the greater good of mankind!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Who gives a gently caress

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I just saw the video of Wiz explaining the new EU4 patch. I'm so happy for him. He's the only good thing that has ever come out of Games, and I really hope that the person who told Totalbiscuit that he had a nice voice so he could start making videos choked on a turkey bone or something, because he made a terrible human being famous.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Going all-in on a randomized tech tree ought to be interesting - even Sword of the Stars never dared to go beyond semi-random availability but fixed paths. I guess it's a sign of the Paradox heritage, though - less emphasis on tightly-balanced and tightly-focused systems and more on the grand sweep of events.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
SotS was an all or nothing tech tree though, this sounds like you get multiple opportunities to get the more common techs at least, so you are highly unlikely to miss PD all together.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

As a counterpoint to my negative reaction on tile-based planet building, this is really exciting. Though I do wonder if there are going to be "game-changing" techs like Death Star shenanigans. If it's in the tech tree, you can rush it, but it'd probably feel more "unfair" if another player just randomly drew the Death Star in the late game and you're running a never-ending stream of 2% better missiles.

(I literally just blew up a galaxy in Star Ruler 2 a few minutes ago so it's on my mind)

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jsor posted:

As a counterpoint to my negative reaction on tile-based planet building, this is really exciting. Though I do wonder if there are going to be "game-changing" techs like Death Star shenanigans. If it's in the tech tree, you can rush it, but it'd probably feel more "unfair" if another player just randomly drew the Death Star in the late game and you're running a never-ending stream of 2% better missiles.

(I literally just blew up a galaxy in Star Ruler 2 a few minutes ago so it's on my mind)

It says the techs are weighted to draw on species and their political background etc. So I imagine only really militaristic or tyrannical races would get the tech to build planet crackers whereas a utopian society or Star Trek Federation type one probably wouldn't. Also I assume different techs have different research/build speeds so maybe you could get a ton of those 2%+ missile damage techs and just swarm his battle station and kill it before it becomes fully operational.

Also in response to Wiz and your Gould Campaign that sounds glorious, I would play the hell out of a Stellaris Stargate Mod.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Stellaris tech system sounds very loving cool and elegant. Surprised nobody else thought of it first, and kinda wish I had. :v:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Jack2142 posted:

Also in response to Wiz and your Gould Campaign that sounds glorious, I would play the hell out of a Stellaris Stargate Mod.
Goa'uld. :mad:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wasn't Alpha Centauri kind of like that? It had an actual tech tree and no 3 categories but I think the default was that you had to pick your next tech from a random subset of the available ones.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Yeah, I think you're right. You had to choose one of four possibilities, I believe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DStecks posted:

The Stellaris tech system sounds very loving cool and elegant. Surprised nobody else thought of it first, and kinda wish I had. :v:
It is a mountain of work because probability hates you and wants you to die, but if any designers understand that and how to work around it in the scales these games deal with its Paradox people.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Who gives a gently caress
I swear, we harp on that poo poo here far more than anyone on the Paradox forums does.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The Stellaris tech deck is cool and good. The tile planets less so. Looking forward to the DLC that revamps planets.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I didn't like when SMAC did it but that was mostly because of how RNG hosed you could get by not getting the option to get crucial techs due to lacking prerequisites, hopefully that sort of thing will be avoided.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The tech deck is legit cool and good and I'm actually impressed by how elegantly it solves traditional space 4x tech woes. Good job Paradox.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Lmao if you didn't play SMAC by turning off directed research. Turn that off and you just get four "fields" to direct your science towards - Industry, war, ecology, or psychology (I think) and you could focus in as many as you like, then you'd draw random techs from the appropriate pot from time to time. Turn on "spoils of war" and you'd get random techs when you conquered enemy cities (to say nothing of probe teams stealing research and tech trading via diplomacy). It was a nice hands-off way to play, because manually navigating a tech tree is tedious as hell and inevitably means only one or two paths are really most efficient and you're at a distinct disadvantage if you don't follow them.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jsor posted:

Did you even watch Star wars? Nimble missiles > Death Star ;)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

Lmao if you didn't play SMAC by turning off directed research.
Didn't you have to turn it on? I remember random being the default.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Did you even watch Star wars? Nimble missiles > Death Star ;)

Well that is a thing. It would be nice if certain AI types had a preference for fleets composed of carriers and fighter/bombers, others for the One Big Battlestation, etc etc.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Strudel Man posted:

Didn't you have to turn it on? I remember random being the default.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the random tech selection was the default.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

One way that "card deck" probability is kinda nice compared to straight up dice is that you can have several decks, and decide the number of cards in each seperately, and determine when a certain deck gets drawn from and how often (along with of course, that each card can be "unique" in a way that a "6" aint). Link the deck drawing function up to all these race/civ/scientist traits, weird space phenomena and other tech cards and voila, a pretty good "random" system. Great DLC/modding potential too.
Have the "common" deck drawn from often, and you get multiple chances for the same "must have" basic techs and you get around the largest balancing problem.

Excited for this :woop:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Pharnakes posted:

SotS was an all or nothing tech tree though, this sounds like you get multiple opportunities to get the more common techs at least, so you are highly unlikely to miss PD all together.

It wasn't actually. Many techs had multiple potential branches leading to them and their availability got checked for each branch.

Lucking out and getting that high level cloaking or shield tech as Hivers made your ships total bullshit.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Yes I am a lovely typist on mobile phones.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So can you actually be like a parasitic species like the Harvesters in moo3?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

It wasn't actually. Many techs had multiple potential branches leading to them and their availability got checked for each branch.

Lucking out and getting that high level cloaking or shield tech as Hivers made your ships total bullshit.

OK, that's true, but there wasn't usually that many ways to get techs unless I'm remembering wrong. Whereas this dev diary makes it sound like there will be a lot of chances to get techs again, unless they are rare in which case you should go for them if you get the chance at all.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Pharnakes posted:

OK, that's true, but there wasn't usually that many ways to get techs unless I'm remembering wrong. Whereas this dev diary makes it sound like there will be a lot of chances to get techs again, unless they are rare in which case you should go for them if you get the chance at all.

While several techs (especially the more "basic" techs) had multiple entry points depending on what other techs you could discover, there were cases where you just flat out got denied certain weapon and armour branches, as well as some of the more useful "civilian" techs. Some were bad enough to really gently caress you over in the late game. At least if you didn't want to deal with the BS of having no point defense you could just restart but if you're already 2-3 hours in a game an miss a tech you need it can be pretty frustrating, especially if it was to counter another empire you're up against.

But I swear the most blood boiling part about research was getting that "Project Over-budget" alert. After getting that 2 or 3 times in a row it makes you wish you could shove some people out an airlock just for the calming effect it would have. I hope that's an option in Stellaris for poor performing agents; have "Dismiss" be a euphemism for "spaced".

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Researching Latin leading your labs to burst into flame will never not be funny.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

DStecks posted:

Thank you. I've not done much on Stellaris, as its Doomdarks creation, but the techsystem and sector-mechanics ai can take credit for..

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Strudel Man posted:

I swear, we harp on that poo poo here far more than anyone on the Paradox forums does.

We don't do it for the same reason, as the amount of time they harp on it isn't what makes it bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think even the worst complaints and criticism posted here are said with love and the most angry spergy rambling with a wink and self-awareness.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

DStecks posted:

Unless I'm very much mistaken, someone did. Parallel research in different schools with semi-random choice of projects... It sounds very very similar to the original Master of Orion's research system (MOO1, not MOO2).

That's not necessarily a bad thing. The original MOO was very elegantly designed, and I was lamenting earlier that I wished more developers would take inspiration from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I think even the worst complaints and criticism posted here are said with love and the most angry spergy rambling with a wink and self-awareness.

I don't.