Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Generic Monk posted:

This fixed it; thanks!

Great! Near as I can tell, Windows 10 likes to use a different scaling factor when a monitor is turned off like in your case, or closed the lid (for a laptop) as in my case. Presumably there's no change if you let the scaling be what 10 initially suggests, but there will be if you change the scaling your self, and don't set a "custom" scale at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

fishmech posted:

Great! Near as I can tell, Windows 10 likes to use a different scaling factor when a monitor is turned off like in your case, or closed the lid (for a laptop) as in my case. Presumably there's no change if you let the scaling be what 10 initially suggests, but there will be if you change the scaling your self, and don't set a "custom" scale at the same time.

I never change the scaling but I seem to remember it having a tendency to automatically set it to 200 on fresh installs, so that's probably what did it.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

ilkhan posted:

Your uptime is laughable, I fixed the quote for you.

What's wrong with shutting your computer down at the end of the night? I have an SSD so mine boots in about 10 seconds, I don't see a point keeping it on when I'm not using it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

robodex posted:

What's wrong with shutting your computer down at the end of the night? I have an SSD so mine boots in about 10 seconds, I don't see a point keeping it on when I'm not using it.

Torrenting and alarms and generally keeping my Steam games updated

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

robodex posted:

What's wrong with shutting your computer down at the end of the night?

Nothing. Some will disagree due to their specific use, but still nothing.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

robodex posted:

Why not just set it to hibernate after 10 minutes or whatever floats your boat? For me it's perfect; I'm a forgetful sob, either I'd forget to turn it off or I'd forget to turn it on in the morning before I make breakfast (when I eat breakfast, I don't want to wait even 10 seconds for the satisfaction of enjoying my first meal of the day :colbert:).

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Any way to make it not flash the power light when hibernating, short of unplugging the cable?

Asus p6t deluxe if it matters. Computer is 2 rooms away from the bedroom but still flashes bright enough to keep me awake.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lum posted:

Any way to make it not flash the power light when hibernating, short of unplugging the cable?

Asus p6t deluxe if it matters. Computer is 2 rooms away from the bedroom but still flashes bright enough to keep me awake.

Pure hibernate and not hybrid sleep?

I think it'd be a firmware setting if anything.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lum posted:

LED behavior in power-saving modes is determined by the hardware, not the OS.

That said, in hibernate mode the hardware should be behaving the same as if the machine has been shut down. It sounds like you're ending up in Suspend (S1) or Sleep (S3) rather than Hibernation (S4).

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lum posted:

A piece of electrical tape.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I have something thats been bugging me for awhile,

Usually I can hit start and begin typing in something I want to open "uplay" for instance, and it will be there to click on. Much easier than navigating the program list

But right now I type uplay, and the little blue dots move around, and nothing happens, Or Cortana opens and asks what I want help with.

It comes and goes occasionally, so I can't really pin it down to something causing this issue?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The quick fix is to right click on Cortana in the Task Manager processes tab and end the process. Cortana auto-restarts and then you're good...for a while, anyway.

This doesn't fix the actual problem (whatever it is, and it probably will keep coming back), but it makes the symptom go away for a little bit.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BrainDance posted:

Also, I got all my desktop icons arranged but windows likes to be a bitch when a game switches my resolution or just randomly. Anyone know of any free solutions to "saving" my desktop layout that use very little cpu (I've got this thing about keeping my cpu as available as possible)?

Two pages back, but I just randomly stumbled on this, which seems to do exactly that:
http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

So I've been reading the Operating Systems Security thread in the tech support subforum, and they seem to be of the opinion that all antivirus are equally worthless and one should just go with the one that causes the least issues. On 7 I installed avast! once I heard MSE had gone to poo poo, and kept it around in 10 mostly out of habit. Aside from the occasional popup to tell me that a scan completed successfully, and denying their lovely firefox plugins, I've never had an issue with it. But now that I'm on 10, should I switch to simply using the built-in Defender, or is that a bad plan? Is Defender the same deal as MSE where it was better than nothing but not by much?

My browser is about as locked-down as possible and I put every new download through VirusTotal, so I'm not too worried about anything getting in that way. I'm asking here because I feel like I know what response I'll get in that thread.

Also, I was excited to upgrade to 10 because I'd heard there'd be BitLocker for everyone. Turns out that was false and I am without BitLocker. Is there a universally accepted (preferably free) full-disk encryption solution for 10? Should I just shell out however much it costs to upgrade to Pro? I can't seem to find anyone who comes to an agreement via google.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Killingyouguy! posted:

So I've been reading the Operating Systems Security thread in the tech support subforum, and they seem to be of the opinion that all antivirus are equally worthless and one should just go with the one that causes the least issues. On 7 I installed avast! once I heard MSE had gone to poo poo, and kept it around in 10 mostly out of habit. Aside from the occasional popup to tell me that a scan completed successfully, and denying their lovely firefox plugins, I've never had an issue with it. But now that I'm on 10, should I switch to simply using the built-in Defender, or is that a bad plan? Is Defender the same deal as MSE where it was better than nothing but not by much?

My browser is about as locked-down as possible and I put every new download through VirusTotal, so I'm not too worried about anything getting in that way. I'm asking here because I feel like I know what response I'll get in that thread.

Also, I was excited to upgrade to 10 because I'd heard there'd be BitLocker for everyone. Turns out that was false and I am without BitLocker. Is there a universally accepted (preferably free) full-disk encryption solution for 10? Should I just shell out however much it costs to upgrade to Pro? I can't seem to find anyone who comes to an agreement via google.

You can get a PRO key for 35$ on certain subreddits if you're willing to ignore the questionable source.

I've recently been looking for a WDE program as well, not having a ton of luck. I've had a decent experience with Symantec's PGP offering at work, but I'm not really sure what the personal versions are like (I imagine fairly similar) and they're around 85$ each.

I've heard BitLocker's level of security is questionable given their relationship with the govt, but that's probably true of most mainstream products.

PBS fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 28, 2015

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Lum posted:

I got hold of some LightDims to dim my power LEDs from a WWII anti-aircraft searchlight level, to a cozy and romantic candlelight level.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
So my dad did the windows 10 upgrade from the prompt that appeared in windows 7 and for some reason, all his personal files have been deleted. His old apps carried over but none of their settings. His user folder in the windows.old directory doesn't have any of his files either. Does anyone have any idea how this happened? It certainly never happened to me when I upgraded. He had a backup but not his emails (outlook 2013) which he was storing in an offline folder in outlook. Any idea where to look for a slim chance of recovering those?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Lord Bude posted:

So my dad did the windows 10 upgrade from the prompt that appeared in windows 7 and for some reason, all his personal files have been deleted. His old apps carried over but none of their settings. His user folder in the windows.old directory doesn't have any of his files either. Does anyone have any idea how this happened? It certainly never happened to me when I upgraded. He had a backup but not his emails (outlook 2013) which he was storing in an offline folder in outlook. Any idea where to look for a slim chance of recovering those?

He probably accidentally changed the option in setup from preserve files. Go use a program like Recuva to scan for deleted but recoverable files, and have an external drive in to save them to.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

fishmech posted:

He probably accidentally changed the option in setup from preserve files. Go use a program like Recuva to scan for deleted but recoverable files, and have an external drive in to save them to.

He swears he was never presented with any such option - isn't the default setting to preserve all files? I'll present the Recuva option to him in the morning. I'm mainly trying to figure out if anyone has ever heard of the upgrade stuffing up in this way.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 30, 2015

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I have an old Lenovo T420s that was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then to version 1511. I pulled out the hard drive, stuck in a new SSD, booted to a Windows 10 version 1511 USB created from the Media Creation Tool, and did a Custom installation. When prompted for a key, I just hit "I don't have a key". After everything installed (about 15 minutes later), my installation was activated with digital entitlement, as should be expected. I was honestly a bit surprised that it worked flawlessly.

Just wanted to add another datapoint of successful installation and activation to the thread.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

He swears he was never presented with any such option - isn't the default setting to preserve all files? I'll present the Recuva option to him in the morning. I'm mainly trying to figure out if anyone has ever heard of the upgrade stuffing up in this way.

If you want to go the Recuva route you're better off presenting it now and having him not use the computer at all. If he's not using there's less chance of overwriting the deleted files.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

PBS posted:

If you want to go the Recuva route you're better off presenting it now and having him not use the computer at all. If he's not using there's less chance of overwriting the deleted files.

Actually he he rang me just now (he'd gone to bed just before I posted before) - after he shut down last night, when he powered the computer back up, the computer finished installing and all his stuff was suddenly there. Very strange that the computer let him log in last night, and use the computer for a while, when it hadn't finished the migration. I never thought to check something like that, though it was hard to get a word in edgewise through the screaming.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

Actually he he rang me just now (he'd gone to bed just before I posted before) - after he shut down last night, when he powered the computer back up, the computer finished installing and all his stuff was suddenly there. Very strange that the computer let him log in last night, and use the computer for a while, when it hadn't finished the migration. I never thought to check something like that, though it was hard to get a word in edgewise through the screaming.

Those are always the best problems, the ones that solve themselves.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

PBS posted:

Those are always the best problems, the ones that solve themselves.

Well they would have been better before the hour of mouth frothing ranting.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I got my Black Friday SSD in the mail. To do the upgrade, I should do it 7-10 on my current drive, then make a USB install drive and do a fresh install from the USB. Correct? Is there anything else I need to do, aside from BIOS, chipset drivers, and getting the most recent version of Samsung's SSD management software?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I have a weird problem...

So I had a friend build a computer for me a few years back and he used a pirated copy of Windows 8 Pro. I upgraded to Windows 10 with the same Windows and was recently bombarded with a bunch of "Activate Windows" watermarks. So I went and bought Windows 10 on the Microsoft store, buying Windows 10 Home as it was the cheapest. I am now finding myself having trouble switching out my version.

Essentially, I can't use the key to activate what I have since I bought Home and have Pro. So I downloaded the installer to a USB. If I run the installer while logged in it automatically says I am choosing to install Windows 10 Pro, which is kinda confusing. Then if I boot from the USB I either get the option to wipe completely (which is bad as I do not have enough backup space to save all of my necessary files) or it says go into Windows and install.

I just want to go legit. Why is it making it hard for me? :(

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Little Mac posted:

I have a weird problem...

So I had a friend build a computer for me a few years back and he used a pirated copy of Windows 8 Pro. I upgraded to Windows 10 with the same Windows and was recently bombarded with a bunch of "Activate Windows" watermarks. So I went and bought Windows 10 on the Microsoft store, buying Windows 10 Home as it was the cheapest. I am now finding myself having trouble switching out my version.

Essentially, I can't use the key to activate what I have since I bought Home and have Pro. So I downloaded the installer to a USB. If I run the installer while logged in it automatically says I am choosing to install Windows 10 Pro, which is kinda confusing. Then if I boot from the USB I either get the option to wipe completely (which is bad as I do not have enough backup space to save all of my necessary files) or it says go into Windows and install.

I just want to go legit. Why is it making it hard for me? :(

You can buy pro keys online for about 35$.

How much free space do you have on the drive, how much space would it take to backup your files?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I just realized that I haven't gotten that big November update on my PC yet.

I guess I could download the tool and do it manually but...I feel like I shouldn't have to.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I have an old Lenovo T420s that was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and then to version 1511. I pulled out the hard drive, stuck in a new SSD, booted to a Windows 10 version 1511 USB created from the Media Creation Tool, and did a Custom installation. When prompted for a key, I just hit "I don't have a key". After everything installed (about 15 minutes later), my installation was activated with digital entitlement, as should be expected. I was honestly a bit surprised that it worked flawlessly.

Just wanted to add another datapoint of successful installation and activation to the thread.

Did that machine have the Windows 8 BIOS embedded key?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I just realized that I haven't gotten that big November update on my PC yet.

I guess I could download the tool and do it manually but...I feel like I shouldn't have to.

The rollout is staggered, to keep load on the update servers manageable. MS also halted the rollout for a while, so things have gotten further delayed.

Also, if you only upgraded to windows 10 within the last 30 days, you won't be offered the upgrade, to keep the 30 day rollback option working.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

EoRaptor posted:

The rollout is staggered, to keep load on the update servers manageable. MS also halted the rollout for a while, so things have gotten further delayed.

Also, if you only upgraded to windows 10 within the last 30 days, you won't be offered the upgrade, to keep the 30 day rollback option working.

To clarify this further, once the November Update upgrades you to build 1511, as well as not being able to roll back to a pre-Windows 10 operating system, if you "Reset" the computer to factory settings or whatever, it will give you a clean install of Windows 10.

This is pretty good - if you need to reset, you won't have to go back to a machine with a bunch of OEM-installed crapware and you should have a nice clean, fast and stable install.

Unless I've misread something along the way.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

PBS posted:

You can buy pro keys online for about 35$.

How much free space do you have on the drive, how much space would it take to backup your files?

Really? At this point I'd eat the $100 I already gave to MS and just pay $35 more for a Pro key. Where at?

All I have is a thumb drive. My actual HDD is 1TB and only has about 100GB left. :/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Little Mac posted:

Really? At this point I'd eat the $100 I already gave to MS and just pay $35 more for a Pro key. Where at?

All I have is a thumb drive. My actual HDD is 1TB and only has about 100GB left. :/

There are tons of Windows 7 Pro keys on eBay for $35 or less which will fully activate Windows 10. They are almost always OEM; as opposed to "full packaged product" which are retail keys and are officially transferable, OEM technically have to stay with the original PC. But a lot are sold with a single stick of RAM which seems to fit the definition as far as eBay is concerned, and Microsoft has allowed every one of them to activate without any issues, as long as the key hasn't been like triple-dipped activating multiple PCs at once.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Does anybody know how to disable the login screen after the lock screen?

I have no password on this computer because it's not intended to be secure, but the more recent update has decided that after click/swiping on the lock screen to get back in I now have to also click on a "Login" button. So it takes two clicks to dismiss what is essentially a screen saver, and I otherwise actually like the lock screen so I don't want to turn it off if I can get rid of the useless intervening screen Microsoft have decided I need.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Little Mac posted:

Why not buy a 1-2 TB external drive? If you shop around, you can probably find one for like $60-$70.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

There are tons of Windows 7 Pro keys on eBay

I would trust an ebay key about as far as I could throw your mom

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Now that it's been out for a while and we're in upgrade season with sales and skylake, do we have a better idea of what upgrading hardware will do to a free upgrade install? Was it confirmed that a new mobo/cpu will mean either buying or installing an old version of Windows to get upgraded again?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So if you're having a problem using Windows Update, and you do the whole reinstall with 1511, and it's still a problem, it's time to distrust your network guy.

I've been having the problems since I upgraded to 10 like 2 months ago. I've been going to the Microsoft Catalog page to download updates by hand, and getting virus definitions in a similar fashion from Microsoft. All this because my coworker/net admin told me that his Windows 10 Pro was giving the same problem. He also told me that he tried his tablet computer running 10 Pro couldn't update from his cellphone's paired network, or when he brought it home.

After dealing with deleting Windows directories and following Microsoft guides to try to fix Windows Update, I did the reinstall and a new user account. I finally brought my computer home last night as I distrusted the network. And there we go, updates going.

Just wanted to vent, as he told me he tried that, and I've been driving myself crazy for two months. Now I have to force him to fix the firewall.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Does Win10 handle high-DPI scaling any better than 8?

I have a retina MBP, but once windows is installed via Bootcamp it is a freaking shitshow in the sense that "hey, everything is tiny as can be" and I can adjust the scaling to an extent; but random things end up super crazy tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Halo14 posted:

Did that machine have the Windows 8 BIOS embedded key?

Nope. This T420s pre-dates the release of Windows 8. In fact, the BIOS predates embedded keys, too. No UEFI or SecureBoot for me :(

edit:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I got my Black Friday SSD in the mail. To do the upgrade, I should do it 7-10 on my current drive, then make a USB install drive and do a fresh install from the USB. Correct? Is there anything else I need to do, aside from BIOS, chipset drivers, and getting the most recent version of Samsung's SSD management software?

Yup. Upgrade your current OS install to 10, make sure it's activated, then shut down and swap out the drives. Boot from USB and do a Custom (clean) install. When prompted for the product key, click "I don't have a product key". It should install and activate no problem.

"should"

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 3, 2015