Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think McLaren will be a midfield team next year. As much as I hate them I can't imagine them having another season as disastrous as this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
McLaren are poo poo

Team America will beat them

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I don't give McLaren alot of credit but they do seem to be able to salvage garbage cars better than most teams. If Lotus or Force India come out with a car and its a complete dog, you know that thing is never going to see the points all year.

McLaren rolled out the most dog poo poo car ever powered by a 30 year old lawnmower motor and somehow got points out of it.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

I can't deny it's lacking the narrative you crave, but I do rather like the 2013 montage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCnj0HrEt9M

Public Service Broadcasting are just about the best band you could pick for something like this.

2012 was the best season and it had the best montage (shame it contains so much Vettel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otJ1oZhWmq4

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Did you guys notice how every race Rosberg wins is terrible? I get that Mercedes wanted to please the Lewis-hating board members who travelled to Abu Dhabi, but I think they're shooting themselves in the foot

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They kind of gave Lewis everything he wanted though. Rosberg had an engine twice as old as his, they got Rosberg to slow down when Lewis was stuck behind backmarkers, and then they let him dictate his own tyre strategy - which is something he had been whining like six year old girl for, and look how well that went for him. It wasn't so much them favouring Rosberg as "we gave you what you wanted, now you know, now shut the gently caress up"

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

learnincurve posted:

they got Rosberg to slow down when Lewis was stuck behind backmarkers

Did they? I thought the radio message was trying to get Lewis to turn his engine down. When he didn't they had Nico turn his engine up.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Lewis's career in F1 is done, Nico's era begins.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

gret posted:

Did they? I thought the radio message was trying to get Lewis to turn his engine down. When he didn't they had Nico turn his engine up.

Yea I think that's what happened.

It's really interesting that Nico swept the last three races. The only real difference I think, aside from rumor ("car changes", tire pressure scrutiny), has been that Nico has been able to keep the lead on the first lap. It's like Lewis is forgot that it's actually hard to pass a competitive car. I just wish Nico could have remembered to no give a gently caress earlier in the season for an enormous Lewis emotional collapse.

And Alonso is a loving moron if he's going to sit out next season. "Suck it up" (ala Ron) for €35m/year to drive a (relatively) fast car around a track.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
My favorite part of the season was Red Bull trying to find an engine for next year because they're dumb as hell.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I liked it when that yank in a manor binned it during his first practice after all the USA! USA! hype because the car was jumpy as hell and they hadn't fitted his seat properly so his knee kept hitting the clutch. It's these little moments that make formula 1.

Horner being miserable as hell all season was a nice little bonus from the sport that keeps on giving as well.

Season's not over btw, it ends Tuesday after the closed Pirelli tyre test, teams and Sky are still out there - they have booked rooms in the hotel looking directly over the circuit and there isn't a thing anyone can do to stop them filming.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

dreesemonkey posted:

It's really interesting that Nico swept the last three races. The only real difference I think, aside from rumor ("car changes", tire pressure scrutiny), has been that Nico has been able to keep the lead on the first lap. It's like Lewis is forgot that it's actually hard to pass a competitive car. I just wish Nico could have remembered to no give a gently caress earlier in the season for an enormous Lewis emotional collapse.

I think there was something about the new low nose regulations for 2015 that made the cars even harder to closely follow each other. Also Nico is quick but he chokes when the championship is on the line.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Guys stop arguing about Nico and Lewis. It's like arguing about which of Damon Hill's hands are more fraudulent.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
also hamilton might have been out partying and celebrating quite a lot and lost a few % of performance

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Nah pretty sure Mercedes sabotaged his car and strategy this weekend to ensure an Aryan victor with Dieter Zetsche at the race.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

poty posted:

2012 was the best season and it had the best montage (shame it contains so much Vettel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otJ1oZhWmq4

Jenson and Lewis McLaren was the best McLaren :unsmith:

And this every single time http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/06/08/concern-grows-for-whitmarsh/

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

El Hefe posted:

Lewis's career in F1 is done, Nico's era begins.

"Wooo, woo! YES!" - Nico Rosberg

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

This will never not be funny, I loving love it. God bless Sniff Petrol.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

JFairfax posted:

also hamilton might have been out partying and celebrating quite a lot and lost a few % of performance

It's possible but I think by the last race he'd be ready to shut down the Nico hype train. But really, who cares, he won the WDC and no one will remember capthrowgate or Nico sweeping the last 3 races when it didn't matter.

I just hope next year the Merc dominance comes to an end.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't give McLaren alot of credit but they do seem to be able to salvage garbage cars better than most teams. If Lotus or Force India come out with a car and its a complete dog, you know that thing is never going to see the points all year.

McLaren rolled out the most dog poo poo car ever powered by a 30 year old lawnmower motor and somehow got points out of it.

they have probably the best factory in F1, and when they put the car on track and it becomes blindingly obvious that X part sucks and X needs to be upgraded to Y, then it's pretty easy for them to make the necessary changes, and they can do it faster and more effectively than anyone else. their problem for a while has been offseason development, actual innovation. they keep developing overly complicated solutions, poo poo that doesn't work in real life as well as in the wind tunnel, wings that generate enormous amounts of downforce but are impossible to balance out and turn into a drivable car. and as they get further behind they keep swinging for the fences more. with the MP4-30 they actually built a good chassis, but the whole "size zero" thing seems integral to that, which requires extremely tight engine packaging, which is the biggest reason why the honda sucks so much. so the now the long term success of the car depends on if it's even possible to build a competitive engine within the constraints mclaren have forced upon honda.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
We're halfway through the second consecutive decade with no WCCs for McLaren. I think their time has come and gone.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Mclaren's Waterloo was throwing out their 2012 car for a cleansheet design in 2013. They really lost the plot there and haven't made a good car since.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Prodromou will have way more influence on next season's car than this year's so we'll see how big of a difference he'll make. McLaren went through a lot of poo poo to poach him from Red Bull.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Lotus will be a disaster next year, regardless of whose name is plastered on the team.

McLaren will probably move up in the pack because others will fall back, a funding drought for the mid-pack will punish those teams in 2016.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hey now, lotus' Renault and force India's Aston Martin deals are coming through any day soon.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Even if they do then it's probably too late to save Lotus's 2016 and that's a problem. Force India are ahead, they need the cash but they already have a fundamentally decent car.

But with Manor getting a decent engine the team who should really be making GBS threads themselves is Sauber.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sauber's biggest issue right now is that Ron is saying he wants them to be Honda's second customer team.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda impressed how Force India consistently produces solid midfield cars year after year, despite their financial situation and being owned by a bankrupted Indian gangster.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

That's because the enduring spirit of Eddie Jordan lives on at their factory. Some say that on a stormy night just like tonight.. if you listen very carefully.. you can hear the distant voice of the plucky Irishman berating an engineer.

:ghost:

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

I wander away from this thread for a few weeks... and its all the same. But some drat funny stuff. Except the kid part...

Anyway, Autosport did their top 10 drivers of the year, voted on by team principles, and then gave up the top 10.

What we learned from this: The team principles are apparently drunkards. (Re: #10)

1 Lewis Hamilton (229pts)
2 Sebastian Vettel (180)
3 Nico Rosberg (113)
4 Max Verstappen (77)
5 Daniil Kvyat (69)
6 Fernando Alonso (57)
7 Valtteri Bottas (52)
8 Sergio Perez (48)
9 Daniel Ricciardo (47)
10 Kimi Raikkonen (37)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

RALF posted:

I'm kinda impressed how Force India consistently produces solid midfield cars year after year, despite their financial situation and being owned by a bankrupted Indian gangster.

Gangster or not he's been smart enough to keep running a team of a sensible size and been able to hold onto people. They got a bit lucky being a Mercedes team but have been smart enough to hold onto them.

Basically they're a competent Sauber, and that's enough. If Toro Rosso had good engines or Sauber were a little more stable they could be in trouble.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

willcrouch posted:

I wander away from this thread for a few weeks... and its all the same. But some drat funny stuff. Except the kid part...

Anyway, Autosport did their top 10 drivers of the year, voted on by team principles, and then gave up the top 10.

What we learned from this: The team principles are apparently drunkards. (Re: #10)

1 Lewis Hamilton (229pts)
2 Sebastian Vettel (180)
3 Nico Rosberg (113)
4 Max Verstappen (77)
5 Daniil Kvyat (69)
6 Fernando Alonso (57)
7 Valtteri Bottas (52)
8 Sergio Perez (48)
9 Daniel Ricciardo (47)
10 Kimi Raikkonen (37)

Doesn't include Our Jense so it's not legitimate.

:colbert:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

This but about every team that isnt Scuderia Ferrari.

loving boring rear end season, *in wicka voice* oh but the midfield battles were so good. F1 can gently caress off

what the gently caress is this

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

We're halfway through the second consecutive decade with no WCCs for McLaren. I think their time has come and gone.

would you have said this about ferrari in the early 90s

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

be nice wicka posted:

what the gently caress is this

Sorry I may have mixed you up with someone else, what is your opinion on boring races where apparently the midfield battles were realy good.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Red Bull boss Christian Horner says that the Mercedes domination is not good for F1 – and qualified his opinion by insisting that despite Sebastian Vettel’s four titles his team was never in such a strong position.

Git tae fuk...

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Well it's true if only because the team had a garbageman as their #2 driver.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I mean, if you ignore 2011 and 2013, he's not wrong.

track day bro! posted:

Sorry I may have mixed you up with someone else, what is your opinion on boring races where apparently the midfield battles were realy good.

As a Chelsea fan I figured you'd become more appreciative of action down the lower order

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i would gladly watch a thousand years of mercedes domination over a single red bull championship. they are truly the most unbearable organization in all of world sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I'd rather have Nigel Mansell come back to win five consecutive championships with Mercedes than see Red Bull win anything ever again.

• Locked thread