Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
If your aim is just to take nerds money then pretending to care about keeping up with technology is probably a good cover to hide behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sarsapariller posted:

For anyone who cares- the new patch seems to be way, way more stable. Had a really good time tonight loving around with someone else in a Constellation, doing missions. Not sure if it was a lucky one-off or if the patch fixed most of the server-side crashes, but I played for a solid hour and a half with no issues.

And who says there's no persistence in Alpha 2.0? God bless you.

Follow-up question: Has your Alpha 2.0 experience taught you that there's no such thing as separate "events," that the universe always works perfectly in the eternal now, and/or we are all riding a magnificent wave of infinite possibilities?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Hey Karl.

go gently caress yourself

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

duckfarts posted:

has it been 2 weeks yet
Time behaves very strangely in the verse, two weeks never passes.

Remember that scene in Interstellar, where gruff astronaut Matthew McConaughey is trapped in the future screaming ineffectually at his daughter through a bookcase? Now imagine instead of Matthew McConaughey, it's Chris Roberts screaming and instead of the daughter it's a bunch of haggard over worked developers who're trying to decipher strange and incoherent messages from the future. That's Star Citizen.

See you in the verse!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

duckfarts posted:

has it been 2 weeks yet

in 2 weeks

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Iron Tusk posted:

They've gone full Nukem.

Hahahahahah they did the worst possible thing they could have done. How loving stupid can you be to do this? Does Chris Roberts think its a quick deal to just port it over like that? Jesus Christ.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So I take if the dream is not here yet. The one here Chris builds a rocket and flies to the moon to live in his castle?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This is the dream.

The dream is happening now.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Isn't DirectX12 Windows10 only? Why are they doing this? Do they just like rewriting/remodelling/re-everything every year? Help, my brain. :psyduck:

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Dapper Dan posted:

Hahahahahah they did the worst possible thing they could have done. How loving stupid can you be to do this? Does Chris Roberts think its a quick deal to just port it over like that? Jesus Christ.

You still fail to realize that they simply don't give a gently caress.
His wife is clearly using backer funds and CIG resources to make films, its actually on IMDB, the company is Gemini 42 (Foundry 42 ?!? anyone) and Ortwin is the ceo.
Chris is spunking millions on making an interactive movie with ten hours of cut-scene and a 700 page script written by himself and a couple of highly paid buddies from his disastrous Hollywood adventure.
They are utterly dismissive of any legal threats or skepticism from the general populace. They only react when the cult has a knee-jerk reaction and the money starts to dry up.
Chris has no time Constraints or deadlines, now he has officially said he is NOT going to give any more deadlines he can do what he drat well pleases. If at this point he decided to turn the whole thing into a turn based strategy game and release it on IOS the cult would still send him wads of cash.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The video game Star Citizen spent five years in development, from 2011 to 2 weeks from now. It is a first-person shooter space simulator for PC developed by Cloud Imperium Games. It is a spiritual successor to the 1996 game Wing Commander IV, as part of the long-running Wing Commander video game series. Intended to be groundbreaking, Star Citizen has become infamous in the video games industry and is considered vaporware due to its severely protracted development schedule; the game had been in development under Cloud Imperiums Games since 2011. Director Chris Roberts, one of the creators of the original Wing Commander game, first announced the title's development in 2011, and promotional information for the game was released in one form or another since 1990.

After repeatedly announcing and deferring release dates, Chris Robertsannounced in 2015 that it would be released simply "when it's done". In December 2015, Cloud Imperium Games was downsized for financial reasons, resulting in the loss of the Austin development team. Statements by the company indicated that the project was due to "go gold" soon with pictures of final concept art. Derek Smart, internet warlord, will file a lawsuit in 2015/16 against Cloud Imperium Games over their "failure to finish development". Chris Roberts retorted that Derek Smart's legal interest in the game is limited to their refund policy. The case will be settled with prejudice and details undisclosed. On November 21, 2015, 4 years after the start of the development, Alpha 2.0 was officially reported by Cloud Imperium Games to be in development at Santa Monica, with an expected release date of 2 weels. This official release date will be pushed back when it is realised that the game is still a buggy, unplayable mess.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 1, 2015

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Excuse me.

I had to find a working blingee alternative to make that GIF. I also feel that finding an actual entity called "Fidelity Investments" is noteworthy.

I submit my request for some emptyquotes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Not emptyquoting, sorry.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Tokamak posted:

in 2 weeks

oh, ok

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not emptyquoting, sorry.

Validation achived, carry on thread.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The great thing is Karl was allowed to dox bootcha and still hasn't been banned from /r/starcitizen or /r/dereksmart. Apparently that only applies to goons and Derek Smart.

I'm banned from /r/starcitizen for asking dickwulf to stop posting about himself.

/u/dolvak is my hero.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dapper Dan posted:

Ok, serious question - does anyone here know what is actually entailed in "upgrading" their engine from DX 11(??) to DX 12? I'm sure we've got some gamedev types in this thread who may even have first hand experience of something like this or have considered it in the past.

Is it a huge rewrite or are we making a big deal out of something that's just a case of swapping out a few DLLs and magically you can use a bunch of cool new features?

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

Time behaves very strangely in the verse, two weeks never passes.

Remember that scene in Interstellar, where gruff astronaut Matthew McConaughey is trapped in the future screaming ineffectually at his daughter through a bookcase? Now imagine instead of Matthew McConaughey, it's Chris Roberts screaming and instead of the daughter it's a bunch of haggard over worked developers who're trying to decipher strange and incoherent messages from the future. That's Star Citizen.

See you in the verse!

If only somebody understood morse. Oh, the humanity!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Chalks posted:

Ok, serious question - does anyone here know what is actually entailed in "upgrading" their engine from DX 11(??) to DX 12? I'm sure we've got some gamedev types in this thread who may even have first hand experience of something like this or have considered it in the past.

Is it a huge rewrite or are we making a big deal out of something that's just a case of swapping out a few DLLs and magically you can use a bunch of cool new features?

DX12 isn't a whizzbang pretty spaceships focused release. It's all architectural stuff and reworking how DX talks to drivers and shares resources. It is exactly the foundational kind of poo poo you do not rip out and re-implement in your enormously glitchy Alpha game that is already years overdue.

OF COURSE the other posibility is that 12 is a larger number than 11 and someone just shat it out as a talking point.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Chalks posted:

it's not a "hard" thing, it's a "Time consuming" thing, it's not like "hey DX12 is out, let's burn 3 hours of coding and patch the game to it" , it's more on the lines of " Let's remake the entire code of the engine" , it's almost making a entire new game.

Basically....They don't even have a product and continue to redo everything from scratch...I am about to call in a refund myself at this rate.

also whoever mentioned one punch man...this poo poo is amazing

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 1, 2015

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ffycchi posted:

it's not a "hard" thing, it's a "Time consuming" thing, it's not like "hey DX12 is out, let's burn 3 hours of coding and patch the game to it" , it's more on the lines of " Let's remake the entire code of the engine" , it's almost making a entire new game.

Basically....They don't even have a product and continue to redo everything from scratch...I am about to call in a refund myself at this rate.

also whoever mentioned one punch man...this poo poo is amazing

How can you understand the implications of the DX12 remark and not already be filing a chargeback? Get out goon :(

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

TTerrible posted:

How can you understand the implications of the DX12 remark and not already be filing a chargeback? Get out goon :(

This was my first time hearing about it, also a chargeback isnt really possible, being that its been years, but I will be doing something about it if they seriously mean to implement DX12 NOW in their development cycle, being that NO SANE COMPANY WOULD EVER DO THAT.

They might release it later as DX12...but halfway or so through development and they just say "know what, gently caress it, lets DX12 this poo poo"....no.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Question, when this game is actually released could someone not just buy it during a Steam sale and like, just play the thing?

If players are able to work their way up to having a nice ship that kind of leaves the backers holding their dicks and regretting all the dollars they spent. But if the nice ships are like backer or paygate exclusive and normal players are stuck being their peons then ain't no one gonna play that for long.

It just seems like the gameplay economy is going to be incredibly difficult to balance without loving over the backers or having a stagnant pay-to-win graveyard. Perhaps my error here is thinking about it as a game.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Given they've already subcontracted out one entire FPS game and then discarded it, along with only just switching to (allegedly) 64bit cords three years into dev I wouldn't be surprised if they attempted the DX 12 thing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ffycchi posted:

This was my first time hearing about it, also a chargeback isnt really possible, being that its been years, but I will be doing something about it if they seriously mean to implement DX12 NOW in their development cycle, being that NO SANE COMPANY WOULD EVER DO THAT.

They might release it later as DX12...but halfway or so through development and they just say "know what, gently caress it, lets DX12 this poo poo"....no.

Actually, you could probably press for a chargeback if you explain to the bank that this was a crowdfunded project that has yet to deliver the promised product. The first person you talk to will probably be going by a script trying to discourage you from going through with the chargeback on a technicality based on stated policy but if you persist they'll actually put you through to someone who'll help you.

And considering high-profile KS scams and fiascos over the past few years (not just relating to videogames), the word "crowdfunding" is enough of a red flag that your bank will understand.

Vitamin P posted:

Perhaps my error here is thinking about it as a game.

Bingo.

Even if the game that all of these ships were bought for existed, it would be the most notorious P2W clusterfuck in gaming history.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Vitamin P posted:

Question, when this game is actually released could someone not just buy it during a Steam sale and like, just play the thing?

If players are able to work their way up to having a nice ship that kind of leaves the backers holding their dicks and regretting all the dollars they spent. But if the nice ships are like backer or paygate exclusive and normal players are stuck being their peons then ain't no one gonna play that for long.

It just seems like the gameplay economy is going to be incredibly difficult to balance without loving over the backers or having a stagnant pay-to-win graveyard. Perhaps my error here is thinking about it as a game.

The only real exclusives seem to be any of the promotional ships that were bundled with gear. And as far as I know, its only decals that make them special.

Basically the CiG's model is more Pay-to-Skip (grinding) rather than Pay-to-Win.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

T.G. Xarbala posted:

And considering high-profile KS scams and fiascos over the past few years (not just relating to videogames), the word "crowdfunding" is enough of a red flag that your bank will understand.

Mostly curious, but would this work for other crowdfunding projects that have not delivered? Even if they aren't from KS?

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Actually, you could probably press for a chargeback if you explain to the bank that this was a crowdfunded project that has yet to deliver the promised product. The first person you talk to will probably be going by a script trying to discourage you from going through with the chargeback on a technicality based on stated policy but if you persist they'll actually put you through to someone who'll help you.

Bingo.

Even if the game that all of these ships were bought for existed, it would be the most notorious P2W clusterfuck in gaming history.

I loving hope so.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TTerrible posted:

DX12 isn't a whizzbang pretty spaceships focused release. It's all architectural stuff and reworking how DX talks to drivers and shares resources. It is exactly the foundational kind of poo poo you do not rip out and re-implement in your enormously glitchy Alpha game that is already years overdue.

OF COURSE the other posibility is that 12 is a larger number than 11 and someone just shat it out as a talking point.

wait wait wait

DirectX 12

the version that's exclusive to Win10 and won't work on earlier versions of windows

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha i hope for their sake this is some side option and not the release one

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

CiG's model is more Pay-to-pay (grinding) rather than Pay-to-play

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

duckfarts posted:

wait wait wait

DirectX 12

the version that's exclusive to Win10 and won't work on earlier versions of windows

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha i hope for their sake this is some side option and not the release one

Porting to DX12 != using DX12 only features. Most new games you'll see coming out from here on are supporting DX12.

Iglocska fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 1, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ffycchi posted:

I loving hope so.

You should probably try for a refund first because a chargeback can still be challenged and if you don't at least attempt to get a refund from CIG that would probably count against you. CIG's CS rep will definitely try to give you a runaround though so it'll be up to you to decide when to stop letting them string you along and pull the trigger on that chargeback.

Also I imagine they're trying to juggle dozens of refund tickets and delay them as long as possible, so this will take a while.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Aren't the performance gains from dx12 pretty meagre as well? Like it's aimed at optimising low end hardware rather than supercharging the citizens 980ti in 4 way SLI set up.

There was a trailer for some dx12 game and it looked the same as dx11 but ran 4fps quicker.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

ShredsYouSay posted:

Aren't the performance gains from dx12 pretty meagre as well? Like it's aimed at optimising low end hardware rather than supercharging the citizens 980ti in 4 way SLI set up.

There was a trailer for some dx12 game and it looked the same as dx11 but ran 4fps quicker.

Not even really low end hardware, but more low end CPUs. The CPU overhead is much smaller apparently.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

ShredsYouSay posted:

DX12 on nvidia is MEH due to the hardware architecture they use, AMD gains HUGE gains via DX12 because of their hardware architecture, in the next nvidia line they will probably pass AMD again due to optimizing their architecture for the better use of pipelines that DX12 enables.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Ffycchi posted:

DX12 on nvidia is MEH due to the hardware architecture they use, AMD gains HUGE gains via DX12 because of their hardware architecture, in the next nvidia line they will probably pass AMD again due to optimizing their architecture for the better use of pipelines that DX12 enables.

This is not entirely true. If you are talking about the Ashes of Singularity benches, in DX12 the Fury X and the GTX 980Ti perform about on par with one another (which is to be expected) - with the 980Ti winning out since the latest driver releases.

The big "gain" comes from the AMD cards performing like utter poo poo in DX11 and the 980Ti beating the Fury X by ~50% in those cases (in that particular game). DX12 gives game devs lower level access to the hardware, meaning you don't have to rely on AMD's driver team (which is great news for everyone!)

tl;dr: DX12 will be fine for both and finally put AMD on equal footing.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
They don't really have a choice about DX12, Star Citizen is meant to be the best thing ever so they can't not have the latest bells and whistles.

They want Star Citizen to be the benchmark the same way graphics cards were sold based on how they ran Crysis for ages.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2114-chris-roberts-star-citizen-on-dx12-vulkan-and-tech

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Iglocska posted:

Porting to DX12 != using DX12 only features. Most new games you'll see coming out from here on are supporting DX12.

This is true, but why do it if you're not going to use it? Refactoring everything to sit on top of DX12 is an enormous, project wrecking change. Doing it just to enable some optional stuff for small part of your player base is even worse.

Go big or go home or do the sensible thing and don't do it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

At least they don't actually have a game yet :v:

• Locked thread