Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Man the white knights dreams are going to be crushed soon. I'm :allears: as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Thronde posted:

Man the white knights dreams are going to be crushed soon. I'm :allears: as gently caress.

I do hope so because I'm getting so tired of the saga. I either need more drama or for the whole thing to explode.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So the whole Star Citizen thing is just two groups of people fighting strawmen who think they're arguing, basically.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Berious posted:

I created an RSI account years ago but never bought a single jpeg. Looks like Derek was right and they're just spamming invites trying to hype people into buying poo poo. Chris really wants that $100mil for Christmas :homebrew:

It's not really true though. They just invite people based on when you created your account now, I guess you have a lower "citizen number" than me for example (I'm at around 150k).

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

So the whole Star Citizen thing is just two groups of people fighting strawmen who think they're arguing, basically.

One side paid a lot of money for their straw men. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

D_Smart posted:

That (in bold) is completely and utterly false. Yet another example of Chris, having been gone for so long, is just talking poo poo now. Plus he's not a graphics programmer. And whatever his engine/graphics programmers did tell him, he's gone and regurgitated it incorrectly. Yeah, like that's new.

Find&Replace, ID3D11 <tab> ID3D12 <tab> Entire Solution <enter>. :haw:

Don't mind the errors, I'm sure it'll just be a quick job to whip around and clean those up.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

I do hope so because I'm getting so tired of the saga. I either need more drama or for the whole thing to explode.

I think the immediate danger of them going bust in 2016 has passed, they raised ~$1 million in 48 hours over the weekend, 3 years after the kickstarter. I always thought their target in this sale was 5.6 million or whatever it was they needed to make 100 million, they are going to be within 500k of that target later today. November 2015 isn't going to beat Nov 2014 or 2013 but any other crowdfunded company in the world could only dream about those figures, if they're not incredibly stupid with the money I don't see any reason they can't make it until Games Com 2016, then Citizen Con 2016 and then yet another November sale.

I wonder who is going to leave over Christmas though and if they lose some of the Crytek dudes in Germany that's going to hurt.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: An Ouya Exclusive

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Chalks posted:

One side paid a lot of money for their straw men. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

Seriously. I'm in to star citizen for like 75 bucks AND now I'm in to smart citizen for like 25 bucks.

I am not good at money.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

I think the immediate danger of them going bust in 2016 has passed, they raised ~$1 million in 48 hours over the weekend, 3 years after the kickstarter. I always thought their target in this sale was 5.6 million or whatever it was they needed to make 100 million, they are going to be within 500k of that target later today. November 2015 isn't going to beat Nov 2014 or 2013 but any other crowdfunded company in the world could only dream about those figures, if they're not incredibly stupid with the money I don't see any reason they can't make it until Games Com 2016, then Citizen Con 2016 and then yet another November sale.

I wonder who is going to leave over Christmas though and if they lose some of the Crytek dudes in Germany that's going to hurt.

It boggles the mind how they're able to do this. How many people out there can there possibly be that are willing to buy into this thing pre-release? They can't just be farming the same small pool of idiots for tens of thousands of dollars each.

I guess the real test will be whether they can release any sort of completed product in 2016, but that's so long away and I'm so very bored of this. I just want to know how it turns out at this point.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

MrBadidea posted:

Don't mind the errors, I'm sure it'll just be a quick job to whip around and clean those up.

Took them a while for sed to run on all the source files.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Iglocska posted:

It's not really true though. They just invite people based on when you created your account now, I guess you have a lower "citizen number" than me for example (I'm at around 150k).

It's too much effort to filter out accounts who don't have a jpeg? If you apply CIGs razor (i.e. the answer that will result in selling more jpegs is true) then it's clear why they're mass mailing invites without regard to to their ability to participate.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

It boggles the mind how they're able to do this. How many people out there can there possibly be that are willing to buy into this thing pre-release? They can't just be farming the same small pool of idiots for tens of thousands of dollars each.

I guess the real test will be whether they can release any sort of completed product in 2016, but that's so long away and I'm so very bored of this. I just want to know how it turns out at this point.

Yeah, never underestimate human stupidity. If you're in for a few hundred, Concierge level just keeps getting closer and "I've not bought anything for 3 months". Worst thing they could do is probably rush SQ42 out for May, Arena Commander 1.0 bought them 18 months, no reason Arena Commander 2.0 can't buy them at least another year if they keep updating every few weeks.

AP fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 1, 2015

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Berious posted:

It's too much effort to filter out accounts who don't have a jpeg? If you apply CIGs razor (i.e. the answer that will result in selling more jpegs is true) then it's clear why they're mass mailing invites without regard to to their ability to participate.

I didn't say that luring people back isn't a nice side-effect, but it's also a clean and simple way of sending out invites.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think most goons have cashed out and are just here to crane their necks as they drive by the wreck at least

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eonwe posted:

I think most goons have cashed out and are just here to crane their necks as they drive by the wreck at least
People in this thread seem pretty invested.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Eonwe posted:

FactsAreUseless posted:

To be fair, it would not surprise me if there isn't a fair number of goons, that had to cash out with less money returned than they put in, because CIG have gotten desperately greedy by now. Hateposting, because you lost money to this, would deffo be understandable. Though ofc, every goon is automatically a grey market savant, that made back 10 times what they put in and blah blah blah.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fun fact:

In the last thread when Derek's blog post was late I bought platinum so that I could post a picture of Aunt Gayle from Bob's Burgers and change the lyrics to her song "Derek Dematopolis" to be about D_Smart's missing blog post, but then I didn't because it seemed like a lot of work, and now I don't even use it to post cat pictures.

It's probably the best investment related to Star Citizen I have ever made.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

fun fact:

In the last thread when Derek's blog post was late I bought platinum so that I could post a picture of Aunt Gayle from Bob's Burgers and change the lyrics to her song "Derek Dematopolis" to be about D_Smart's missing blog post, but then I didn't because it seemed like a lot of work, and now I don't even use it to post cat pictures.

It's probably the best investment related to Star Citizen I have ever made.
You don't need platinum to post images.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

You don't need platinum to post images.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

FactsAreUseless posted:

So the whole Star Citizen thing every argument on the internet is just two groups of people fighting strawmen who think they're arguing, basically.

Yes but there are a few people still actually hoping to play a game as well. Not dumb enough to pay anything for it, anymore, but still enjoying the spaceships.

Toops posted:

And who says there's no persistence in Alpha 2.0? God bless you.

Follow-up question: Has your Alpha 2.0 experience taught you that there's no such thing as separate "events," that the universe always works perfectly in the eternal now, and/or we are all riding a magnificent wave of infinite possibilities?

It did actually motivate me to get off my rear end and update the firmware on my SSD just to improve the start up time after every crash. But mostly staring at a loading screen for approximately 10 hours in the last week has taught me that patience is motivated by our desire for inward and outward peace and by faith in our ability to accept things as they are. As I watched that little bar fill up, only to find myself back at the desktop for the seventh time in an hour, I realized that patience has three essential aspects: gentle forbearance, calm endurance of hardship, and acceptance of the truth.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Eonwe posted:

whats the name of these animes

id like to watch them

im building an anime queue

im making my way through kill la kill now

Eonwe posted:

yeah when you watch animes just think about it

is this creepy pedo poo poo? if so, turn it off and watch anything else

is it just loving bizarre? if so, cool keep watching it and laugh

So...

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

MrBadidea posted:

Microsoft provides an abstraction layer that allows you to create a D3D11to12 resource that will handle the vast majority of translation between the two implementations at the driver level, at the cost of additional memory and CPU overhead, which can be used as a fairly easy to implement stopgap during the transition from 11 to 12. It lets you transition pieces of the rendering engine piecemeal while the rest keep functioning, or use a blended approach of DX12 and DX11 code. It does require some limited rewriting, due to DX12's replacement of some higher level functions with lower level shader manipulations, but for the most part, it's exactly what Chris was describing in the original quote. You don't get most of the fancy new performance features of 12 until you implement them properly and stop using the old DX11 functions, but it's not that difficult of a task to get a DX11 render engine up and working on DX12.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

hey it's octopode again

edit: octopode is one of my favorite star citizen characters, he has appeared in some of the funniest pages of the Star Citizen thread

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Quote some posts with images in them and look at the code.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Derek: it's December 1st. Please sue those rear end-clowns now.

Karl/Sandi: go gently caress yourself.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I thought plat was required to upload images directly to the forums instead of using an image host.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

revmoo posted:

I thought plat was required to upload images directly to the forums instead of using an image host.
It is, but why wouldn't you use an image host?

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Octopode posted:

Microsoft provides an abstraction layer that allows you to create a D3D11to12 resource that will handle the vast majority of translation between the two implementations at the driver level, at the cost of additional memory and CPU overhead, which can be used as a fairly easy to implement stopgap during the transition from 11 to 12. It lets you transition pieces of the rendering engine piecemeal while the rest keep functioning, or use a blended approach of DX12 and DX11 code. It does require some limited rewriting, due to DX12's replacement of some higher level functions with lower level shader manipulations, but for the most part, it's exactly what Chris was describing in the original quote. You don't get most of the fancy new performance features of 12 until you implement them properly and stop using the old DX11 functions, but it's not that difficult of a task to get a DX11 render engine up and working on DX12.

Oh god, he's back.

And also where's the lawsuit? I want some action. Legal action.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

revmoo posted:

Nobody does this

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Octopode posted:

quote:

The D3D11On12 layer implements a very large subset of the D3D11 API, but there are some known gaps. In addition to bugs in the implementation which can cause incorrect rendering, the shader interfaces feature is currently unimplemented in D3D11On12. Attempting to use this feature will cause errors and debug messages. Additionally, swap chains are not currently supported on D3D11On12 devices.
D3D11On12 has not currently been optimized for performance. There will likely be moderate CPU overhead compared to a standard D3D11 driver, minimal GPU overhead, and there is known to be significant memory overhead. Therefore it is not recommended to use D3D11On12 for complicated 3D scenes, and it is instead recommended for simple scenes or 2D rendering.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

CIG please extend the sale for 2 more weeks until I get paid again because I don't want to FALL BEHIND.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jpegs are 2d, CIG is fine with using D3D11On12 layer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

yea maybe

im just here to laugh

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Octopode posted:

but it's not that difficult of a task to get a DX11 render engine up and working on DX12.

gently caress you! if you are a programmer it is easier said than done

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Daztek posted:

Jpegs are 2d, CIG is fine with using D3D11On12 layer.

:vince:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

It's not. It's a huge undertaking to port and entire engine to DX12. And for a game that's supposedly coming out in 2016.

The only reason they'd do this, is for performance reasons because that's pretty much the only tangible gain.

Now they are going to have to maintain both DX11 and DX12 pipelines because I don't see then nerfing DX11.

I told you all, this game is never coming out.

Goddamn I never thought we had a DNF situation but it appears we do. The absurdity of even attempting to switch to DX12 when you don't even have a full fledged game is idiotic. And even if they only devote several people to do it, that's still several people not working on the game proper.

I still think SQ42 will come out in some fashion. No way that CRoberts lets 10 hours of mocap and his glorious script go to waste. Even if he makes it an interactive movie or a CYOA or something like a telltale game.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEgh8TUlpQc

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Quote some posts with images in them and look at the code.

That's hilarious and completely worth my extra :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

• Locked thread