Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

quote:

quote:
64 bit was required to make the large world map, DX12 is mostly about optimization and performance gains, so there is no need to delay major parts of the game to implement it. Rather tasks will be optimized in the background to take advantage of it, but DX12 is not even required to play SC, so I wouldn't expect it to halt development in anyway that a core system like the 64-bit conversion would. And even then 64-bit did not halt development. Design work on Space station, ships, and planetside locations continued while it was being developed. Then those assets were simply rolled into it when it came online.
Don't worry, everything is fine!

Yeah, #facepalm

Remember when they were saying the same poo poo about Star Marine? Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

EminusSleepus posted:

gently caress you! if you are a programmer it is easier said than done

Not for DIA's special tech agent Octopode, it isn't! How dare you question his top secret knowledge?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

I think the immediate danger of them going bust in 2016 has passed, they raised ~$1 million in 48 hours over the weekend, 3 years after the kickstarter. I always thought their target in this sale was 5.6 million or whatever it was they needed to make 100 million, they are going to be within 500k of that target later today. November 2015 isn't going to beat Nov 2014 or 2013 but any other crowdfunded company in the world could only dream about those figures, if they're not incredibly stupid with the money I don't see any reason they can't make it until Games Com 2016, then Citizen Con 2016 and then yet another November sale.

I wonder who is going to leave over Christmas though and if they lose some of the Crytek dudes in Germany that's going to hurt.

The money they made in Oct-Nov is barely enough to fund ops through Q1/16. There is a reason why the current (and soon to be changed) ToS was extended six more months (to May 2016) before accountability becomes an issue.

They're not going to sustain four dev studios for long if they are pulling in less than $3m per month.

I still don't believe the project will survive 2016.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

Microsoft provides an abstraction layer that allows you to create a D3D11to12 resource that will handle the vast majority of translation between the two implementations at the driver level, at the cost of additional memory and CPU overhead, which can be used as a fairly easy to implement stopgap during the transition from 11 to 12. It lets you transition pieces of the rendering engine piecemeal while the rest keep functioning, or use a blended approach of DX12 and DX11 code. It does require some limited rewriting, due to DX12's replacement of some higher level functions with lower level shader manipulations, but for the most part, it's exactly what Chris was describing in the original quote. You don't get most of the fancy new performance features of 12 until you implement them properly and stop using the old DX11 functions, but it's not that difficult of a task to get a DX11 render engine up and working on DX12.

GTFO. Nobody is dumb enough to do that. And what you described, is pure bollocks. All of it.

Stop copying and pasting poo poo from the Internet that you don't understand.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

The money they made in Oct-Nov is barely enough to fund ops through Q1/16. There is a reason why the current (and soon to be changed) ToS was extended six more months (to May 2016) before accountability becomes an issue.

They're not going to sustain four dev studios for long if they are pulling in less than $3m per month.

90 Days (starts two weeks from now)

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

TTerrible posted:

How do people have any confidence in CIG re-architecting the rendering code of the engine to use DX12?

* They've only managed the (alleged) 64bit switch three years in.

* They've already tried to merge two codebases and that resulted in them throwing away an entire fps game.

* For both of the above fiascos they had CryTek devs in house.

Now they want to change over to an entirely new low level API on a totally bastardised engine that is causing problems for devs poached from the original developer, again, three years in.

This is absolutely mind numbingly stupid.

Yet the drones continue to believe:

quote:

Crazy_Falco: @Xariez that's not anywhere near normal, beta servers are lagging hard, randomly
Reluctantfr0gBioGenx2b: Ah, ok thanks, wasn't sure :)
ElementalStorm23: @Badnewsbaron, oh did you ever get my message on Discord?
Pbourey75: Rollback
BioGenx2b: But they need DX12 to get the kind of performance the game demands.
Stephen95s: dat loading lol
Reluctantfr0g: true
D_I_S_C_I_P_L_E: even if sc push back 8 months for dx12 it would be worth it
Xariez: It takes like, 5-10 times longer than that for me @Crazy_falco
vlaskovitz: how about 64 bit client, any news?
Mordelm: DX12 will be optional, has to be. So they'll use that to add more optional graphical stuff.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Unless CIG has changed the handling from the base engine, CryEngine does not rely on the D3D shader interfaces, it has its own implementation of a specialized shader system that's not quite the same as the HLSL system used by D3D11, so that's not really an issue.

As for the speed: not optimized and not recommended are not the same thing as not possible, and as I said, it's a stopgap solution to allow for piecemeal implementation jus to get things running on DX12, not a long-term solution for the shipping game. They'll likely implement a side-by-side solution for that, similar to what happened with the DX9/11 transition for most games at the time, since I doubt they're going to make the game DX12 required, and they'll leave the current DX11 implementation as the only one available to players until they're able to rewrite enough of the DX12 implementation to make it playable.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Octopode posted:

Unless CIG has changed the handling from the base engine, CryEngine does not rely on the D3D shader interfaces, it has its own implementation of a specialized shader system that's not quite the same as the HLSL system used by D3D11, so that's not really an issue.

As for the speed: not optimized and not recommended are not the same thing as not possible, and as I said, it's a stopgap solution to allow for piecemeal implementation jus to get things running on DX12, not a long-term solution for the shipping game. They'll likely implement a side-by-side solution for that, similar to what happened with the DX9/11 transition for most games at the time, since I doubt they're going to make the game DX12 required, and they'll leave the current DX11 implementation as the only one available to players until they're able to rewrite enough of the DX12 implementation to make it playable.

shhhh its ok, there there, breathe, we expected this.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

I think you need to...let it go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVHJ6OwTYWc

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

quote:

I think once they get their DX12 implementation in and see just how much more they can do with it they'll make it required.
I'm imagining a Letter from CR mid 2016 with a cool video showing just how many more things can happen at once with DX12, and how they're making the decision to require it because the overall experience will be so much better.

:allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

No. GTFO. That's not how that works. Jesus H. Christ, dude. Seriously. Stop.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

You could be right but they did get through 2015 with lovely Arena Commander 1.0 as follows.

Total in December 2014: $3,181,259
Total in January 2015: $3,270,829
Total in February 2015: $2,399,668
Total in March 2015: $3,183,965
Total in April 2015: $3,211,615
Total in May 2015: $2,815,387

It wasn't until June 2015 that they got in trouble trying to sell a stupid Space Bus. If they update AC 2.0 it might not be that hard to repeat those monthly figures, or better, again.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

D_Smart posted:

No. GTFO. That's not how that works. Jesus H. Christ, dude. Seriously. Stop.

Stop acting like you know more than he does. What do you think you're some sort of video game developer or something? Sheesh.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

revmoo posted:

Stop acting like you know more than he does. What do you think you're some sort of video game developer or something? Sheesh.

I'm sure he'll get that nasty alt-tab functionality figured out one of these days.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Octopode posted:

I'm sure he'll get that nasty alt-tab functionality figured out one of these days.

You mean like Bethsoft has?

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
At this point I development in SC, even if the company goes belly up, someone, Bootcha, needs to step in and buy the rotting husk of the game.

I'm sure by the time this happens, all of the resources in game will be able to be cobbled together in a ghetto buggy 3D Space Station 13.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

So Octopode is a graphics programming expert too? We must treat his opinion as fact because he is objectively the smartest person in the universe. Time to pack it in goon failures and embrace the warmth of BDSSE.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Dunite posted:

At this point I development in SC, even if the company goes belly up, someone, Bootcha, needs to step in and buy the rotting husk of the game.

I'm sure by the time this happens, all of the resources in game will be able to be cobbled together in a ghetto buggy 3D Space Station 13.

I am still cautiously hopeful about the game - but if it does indeed go belly up I hope they release the models as open source. Would make one kickass homeworld 2 mod.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Octopode posted:

Even if you are right, how can you defend doing something that benefits relatively few and costs more time and money when they have only released a pre-alpha proof of concept and absolutely nothing from the single player portion that is coming in a year?

Not to mention all the growing pains with a new architecture and unforseen problems.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Iglocska posted:

To be fair I am not sure how much of that was integration on an engine level. Illfonic probably just left them with an FPS component that was completely unrealistic and primitive, without any of the high-tech head-bobbing that everyone craves.

How much have you given your lord and savior Christ Roberts?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

neonbregna posted:

How much have you given your lord and savior Christ Roberts?

I guess sarcasm doesn't carry well over the internet :(

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Octopode posted:

What will happen first d sizzle's next blog post or your next meltdown?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPZoobI32fM&t=5819s

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Octopode posted:

None of us are sure if you'll ever figure out you're being conned. The delusion is too thick and pervasive. It's like crib death to any infant forms of rational thought. It might live and breathe there for a minute or two before space babby eyes look up from it's cot at the wonderful mobile that dangles overhead. It's filled with slowly spinning JPEGs of space ships that Croberts has left so thoughtfully for the baby, and it fills the baby's thoughts with sweet things as it struggles to draw breath, despite its best efforts to resist the display's hypnotic promise of space travel.

The suffocating and toxic environment that your lord and savior has so thoughtfully given you is working perfectly, he is free to trade food stamps for cocaine for a just little while longer.

Hell, it might even work for two weeks this time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Octopode can't be a know-it-all or else he'd know how much of a bitch he is. Seriously Octopode, stfu. You're worse than Karl, who at least only pretends to be an auditor.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I think gruyere is a pretty good cheese, though.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Dapper Dan posted:

Even if you are right, how can you defend doing something that benefits relatively few and costs more time and money when they have only released a pre-alpha proof of concept and absolutely nothing from the single player portion that is coming in a year?

Not to mention all the growing pains with a new architecture and unforseen problems.

For one, they committed to implementation of Mantle quite a while ago, which requires much of the same low level rework (as mentioned in the original quote) and which likely came with a nice big financial contribution from AMD given the hoopla around its announcement--it's probably not really an option to just not do it at this point. Focusing on DX12 first rather than directly going to Mantle is a reflection of the state of the industry right now--Mantle is basically dead from an industry support standpoint, but they're probably still committed unless AMD officially abandons it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

I think gruyere is a pretty good cheese, though.

Brie is the cheese of the Gods. Double creme especially.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Octopode posted:

Microsoft provides an abstraction layer that allows you to create a D3D11to12 resource that will handle the vast majority of translation between the two implementations at the driver level, at the cost of additional memory and CPU overhead, which can be used as a fairly easy to implement stopgap during the transition from 11 to 12. It lets you transition pieces of the rendering engine piecemeal while the rest keep functioning, or use a blended approach of DX12 and DX11 code. It does require some limited rewriting, due to DX12's replacement of some higher level functions with lower level shader manipulations, but for the most part, it's exactly what Chris was describing in the original quote. You don't get most of the fancy new performance features of 12 until you implement them properly and stop using the old DX11 functions, but it's not that difficult of a task to get a DX11 render engine up and working on DX12.

Can octopede be our adorable goon mascot?? pleeeze??? Parp!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

You could be right but they did get through 2015 with lovely Arena Commander 1.0 as follows.

Total in December 2014: $3,181,259
Total in January 2015: $3,270,829
Total in February 2015: $2,399,668
Total in March 2015: $3,183,965
Total in April 2015: $3,211,615
Total in May 2015: $2,815,387

It wasn't until June 2015 that they got in trouble trying to sell a stupid Space Bus. If they update AC 2.0 it might not be that hard to repeat those monthly figures, or better, again.

Agreed. Also, I think they've reached the saturation point now and they know it. Hence the cash grab type sales. I firmly believe that Q4/15 is the funding Hail Mary. We just have to wait and see.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

You mean like Bethsoft has?

heh. It's funny, considering that if he'd played any of my games, he'd know that they all work just fine with ALT+TAB. But hey, for someone who just regurgitates crap from the Internet without any sort of rhyme or reason, that's to be expected.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Octopode posted:

For one, they committed to implementation of Mantle quite a while ago, which requires much of the same low level rework (as mentioned in the original quote) and which likely came with a nice big financial contribution from AMD given the hoopla around its announcement--it's probably not really an option to just not do it at this point. Focusing on DX12 first rather than directly going to Mantle is a reflection of the state of the industry right now--Mantle is basically dead from an industry support standpoint, but they're probably still committed unless AMD officially abandons it.

Mantle is officially dead and abandoned though. A lot of it has been taken over by Vulkan.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: The Trials and Tribulations of Octopode

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Brie is the cheese of the Gods. Double creme especially.

Around the holidays my girlfriend makes baked brie and I agree with you it is also a very good cheese.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Dapper Dan posted:

Because CIG can put just a couple of developers on the task working at half-time, with no release date specified and get it done sometime in 2018 or later. The work will sit in a side repo for years and not touch the trunk. The brown sea who want DX12 will be satisfied that it is being worked on (and they clearly don't give a poo poo about release dates), and nVidia/AMD will throw money at CIG to provide full dx12 support because it is going to sell a lot of high end cards. So long as cost of developer time < money brought in by promising this feature "eventually" its worth doing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tokamak posted:

So Octopode is a graphics programming expert too? We must treat his opinion as fact because he is objectively the smartest person in the universe. Time to pack it in goon failures and embrace the warmth of BDSSE.

Yeah, good thing we have a bona fide systems and graphics engineer on-hand, or he'd just be peddling bullshit as usual :)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If Karl gets doxxed will this thread be renamed "Go gently caress Karl yourself"?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You guys are overlooking the obvious. When star citizen comes out we'll be using windows 13 and DX11 will be in the dustbin of history!!!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

To be fair I am not sure how much of that was integration on an engine level. Illfonic probably just left them with an FPS component that was completely unrealistic and primitive, without any of the high-tech head-bobbing that everyone craves.

That's unfair. I have first accounting of what happened with Illfonic, but it's not my story share because I take confidentiality seriously. But the long and short of it this: they got shafted. This after having done exactly what they were asked to do, and which kept changing time and time again, without an increase in budget.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ZenMaster posted:

Yet the drones continue to believe:

A reasonable person would look at this comment and think "this guy thinks that SC is in such a bad state that the only way to fix it is an 8 month delay to completely re-write the underlying engine".

But that's not what this guy's logic is. I doubt he even understands what he's saying. All he's trying to do is give unconditional support to whatever decision CIG makes with no reasoning what so ever besides "they're doing it so it must be good"

It's hilarious when it comes to something like this. The only reason you'd re-work core components of your game engine less than a year before you're meant to be releasing a product is if you hosed up massively. Saying "it's worth it" is saying "CIG hosed up really really badly so this has to be done". It's impossible to both support the decision while also claiming that CIG are doing a good job.

What knots SC fans must be tying themselves in on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

I guess sarcasm doesn't carry well over the internet :(

For the record, I got it. :)

And since you're not Octopode, and you tend to have reasonable arguments, it's now easy to spot the sarcasm :)

• Locked thread