Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

Unless CIG has changed the handling from the base engine, CryEngine does not rely on the D3D shader interfaces, it has its own implementation of a specialized shader system that's not quite the same as the HLSL system used by D3D11, so that's not really an issue.

As for the speed: not optimized and not recommended are not the same thing as not possible, and as I said, it's a stopgap solution to allow for piecemeal implementation jus to get things running on DX12, not a long-term solution for the shipping game. They'll likely implement a side-by-side solution for that, similar to what happened with the DX9/11 transition for most games at the time, since I doubt they're going to make the game DX12 required, and they'll leave the current DX11 implementation as the only one available to players until they're able to rewrite enough of the DX12 implementation to make it playable.

No.

MSDN posted:

D3D11On12 is a mechanism by which developers can use D3D11 interfaces and objects to drive the D3D12 API. D3D11on12 enables components written using D3D11 (for example, D2D text and UI) to work together with components written targeting the D3D12 API.

It's a tool to patch gaps while you're porting, not something you slide into a release to bump your DX version from 11 to 12 like some kind of magical panacea.

Octopode posted:

For one, they committed to implementation of Mantle quite a while ago, which requires much of the same low level rework (as mentioned in the original quote) and which likely came with a nice big financial contribution from AMD given the hoopla around its announcement--it's probably not really an option to just not do it at this point. Focusing on DX12 first rather than directly going to Mantle is a reflection of the state of the industry right now--Mantle is basically dead from an industry support standpoint, but they're probably still committed unless AMD officially abandons it.

They committed to the implementation of Mantle like they committed to the implementation of a ton of poo poo. Have they actually done any of it? You cannot just use "WELL CIG SAID THIS" as evidence here, holy poo poo they lie about everything. The money (if any) from AMD probably just got dumped in the pot to buy expensive furniture in LA.

Please read this. I link it in the vain hope that you actually want to learn what this involves rather than use it for cribbing soundbites to post here.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn899114(v=vs.85).aspx

Shutup octopode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

I guess the forking and horrible maintainability of such situations is part of the whole Open Source life cycle so it's no that surprising. As for Backwards compatibility being a major issue, it kind of is for DX now too - but they easily get around it by shipping DX12 (which is compatible with... DX12) and DX11 (which is compatible back since the middle ages) with the OS. But that's just the PC platform of course and gaming goes way beyond just the PC.

It always was with DirectX, which is why you get to install it every. Goddamned. Time. The thing was that they went for a more controlled development, which means that there's a line between what is DirectX and what is the Driver. The driver tends to include a bunch of patches that the API can reference, but the existence of the line provides demarkation.

OpenGL is more relaxed than this, but the standards documents are lacking and there's no overall control, funding or rigour, and their last major fan stopped producing for them. The one bright spot on the horizon is that SteamOS could do with a solid not-DirectX moving forward.

Most of the above is horribly out of date, I haven't wielded OpenGL in anger for a long time. Preface any corrections with 'Hey, shithead'.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Hav posted:

It always was with DirectX, which is why you get to install it every. Goddamned. Time. The thing was that they went for a more controlled development, which means that there's a line between what is DirectX and what is the Driver. The driver tends to include a bunch of patches that the API can reference, but the existence of the line provides demarkation.

OpenGL is more relaxed than this, but the standards documents are lacking and there's no overall control, funding or rigour, and their last major fan stopped producing for them. The one bright spot on the horizon is that SteamOS could do with a solid not-DirectX moving forward.

Most of the above is horribly out of date, I haven't wielded OpenGL in anger for a long time. Preface any corrections with 'Hey, shithead'.

Haha :)

Very interesting information, I have heard a lot about the crazy state that DX was in, but never too much about OGL.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
For posterity:

CitizenSlum posted:

I am hoping that this game doesn't come out to 2018 or longer, and here is why, please hear me out before clicking DV for being "out of my mind": Firstly, VR needs more time. I need bigger res, more frames, better controls, etc with VR, and CIG's CryEngine needs a lot more time for VR. Secondly, this game will need more CPU/GPU Horsepower for 2nd/3rd Gen VR HMD's (or 3x4K), and the crazy butter smooth gameplay inducing frames I prefer and need for the best gaming experience. Also, I am designing my first home, and much of it is based around my Star Citizen Command Center for my son and I, and my close friends and family who are now all proud owners of SC Starter packs, so I need as much time for that as possible. Also, we need Google Fiber. For real. Portland won't get Google Fiber in here and ready to go until at least 2017, but probably 2018 TBH. Most of all, I need time to recruit minions for my Fleets :)
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uxxzi/will_star_citizen_hit_200_million/cxioimp

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 1, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

His loving fleets none the less.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

That's an interesting analysis, thank you. I think the data's probably decent in aggregate, if only because faking it with such apparent randomness would actually be fairly difficult. It blows my mind that there were so many people out there willing to lay out $100+ on a spaceship game. I do wonder what the numbers in the last month would have looked like without the referral program- I suspect that is at least diluting the "Cash per backer" figure somewhat.

Average is not the median. I would suspect that the median number would certainly be a decent amount less than the average, given the existence of so many Wulf Knights.

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

I like the mention below that he's going to make a VR version of his home. There's going to be a lot of sad nerds walking through his house of shattered dreams when this poo poo falls apart.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Citizenslum posted:

Yes, exactly. Now, you also bring up a good point. How nuts is the internet going to go when the PU actually drops and every single naysayer, poo poo-talker, debbie & daryl doubter, has to shut up and admit this game is the coolest thing that has ever come to Gaming? Probably, VR will be starting to gain some momentum, New CPU and GPU Architecture will probably be allowing us to actually power this beast of a game, and the world will be pretty much ready for Citizengeddon, which is when the GNP of every major Nation dips slightly due to everyone taking their PTO, and Sick days, or just quitting their jobs to sit around and run around in the Verse, aka "The Matrix". Do you think more people will actually buy and try to run this game, than before it launches? I would not at all be surprised if we had 2 Million Backers, and then 4-5 Million actual Citizens. Obviously I am super biased and conductor of the SC Hype Mode 2000 Train, but I am all about wishing and hoping for the best these days. Most of you guys that I talk to think I am insane, and don't want me to jinx it.

I'm a debbie and/or daryl doubter

...also, is this Mitt Romney?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
every time i read something someone posts on r/starcitizen i die a bit

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Oh holy poo poo I skimmed over those and didn't realize they were from "CitizenSlum" :laffo:

That guy is actually out of his mind. I've bumped into him on sperggit a couple times and he just tries to hawk his weird lovely "videogame bar" he has out in Oregon. Mostly just talks about how much money he makes and shits on people who play video games and talks about his dream of building "Gamer Houses" where teams can live and stream to twitch and poo poo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh holy poo poo I skimmed over those and didn't realize they were from "CitizenSlum" :laffo:

That guy is actually out of his mind. I've bumped into him on sperggit a couple times and he just tries to hawk his weird lovely "videogame bar" he has out in Oregon. Mostly just talks about how much money he makes and shits on people who play video games and talks about his dream of building "Gamer Houses" where teams can live and stream to twitch and poo poo.

:stare:

gamer houses

christ

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dont get me wrong, gaming loving owns

its my main hobby

but if my main hobby was weaving baskets, I wouldn't want to live in a house of people weaving baskets all day

i cant even imagine the conditions of a gamer house

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

I feel sorry for their family and friends.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also I live it when people ask a question in a title to get a click and then answer it right off the bat

:fuckoff:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

this is the same "CitizenSlum" guy a couple account bans ago:

And his gamer bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGpyUaVJDzo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wait I didn't read that

he is designing his home around his star citizen "command center"

here's a tip, design it around the idea of being a loving house

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

And his gamer bar

"ive spent $150000 on a video game that isnt anywhere near release, you totally need some therapy"

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Beet Wagon posted:

That all sounds like the saddest mid-life crisis I've ever seen.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i like how he can afford $150k for his command center but he can't even afford decent tables or chairs for his gamer bar

lmbo

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Eonwe posted:

gamer houses

christ

Lifted straight from his post to the architecture subreddit:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Eonwe posted:

gamer houses

christ

but these already exist? A couple of prominent streamers live in a house paid by razr or some poo poo. Also doesn't sk have something similar for sc2 teams iirc

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

His loving fleets none the less.

What's wrong with this? The one stretch goal said that you can command entire fleets from the bridge of your capital ship.

:laffo:

e: linking them together tying yourself directly into the machine like your favorite character from the Animatrix

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone have a link to the history of how many people work on SC?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

And his gamer bar

The mental illness is palpable.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mike12345 posted:

but these already exist? A couple of prominent streamers live in a house paid by razr or some poo poo. Also doesn't sk have something similar for sc2 teams iirc

they are a loving abysmal idea

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Holy poo poo that gamer bar

I've been inside game bars before and even went to one in the middle of loving nowhere Paducah Kentucky and none of them have been even close to this lovely.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

http://pastebin.com/CxgjqHai

:laffo:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

revmoo posted:

Holy poo poo that gamer bar

I've been inside game bars before and even went to one in the middle of loving nowhere Paducah Kentucky and none of them have been even close to this lovely.

yea, this is the shittiest looking, lets call it what it is basically, a LAN center I've seen

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Derek I would like to request that each week you do a feature article exploring the life and thoughts of another insane Star Citizen, sourced from this thread. You've got enough material to make it to the summer at least.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

And his gamer bar

That is not a video to be proud of. It looks like a net cafe in a slum.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

mike12345 posted:

True, some prominent LoL teams and SC2 teams have shitbox rented out 4-bedrooms or whatever, and some Euro dudes live in a mansion, but this guy wants to build super high-end luxury housing for gamers that's like pre-wired to stream the house to Twitch and stuff.

For reference, here is what the team "gamer houses" that exist currently look like:

Team Liquid, League of Legends

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

An insane person posted:

Each email I process is valued at around $12.50, and I send hundreds per day. I have no time for wasteful comms. Had you been someone who was truly ready, and right for the opportunity of a lifetime, you would not have wasted your time or mine with, a silly question like that. Pro-Tip: No one of any substantial merit uses Reddit for communication purposes. Almost all professional comms protocols call for email-only transmissions.

Jesus

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
all I can picture is animal house except jim belushi is fatter

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TTerrible posted:

That is not a video to be proud of. It looks like a net cafe in a slum.

it looks like a storage room where you throw lovely old equipment because your boss wont let you throw it away, so you put it on shaky rear end shelves and hope it breaks and it can go in the dumpster

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Holy poo poo I hadn't seen that before

:psyboom:

FatherChristmas
Nov 9, 2012

'Tis the season

Karl, fucketh thyself.

Beet Wagon posted:

And his gamer bar

For a second I thought he owned Ground Kontrol which would have made me quite sad (that bar's quite decent, at least), but that's a goddamned joke of a thing. It's like a badly constructed LAN center in the basement of a condemned building.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Eonwe posted:

it looks like a storage room where you throw lovely old equipment because your boss wont let you throw it away, so you put it on shaky rear end shelves and hope it breaks and it can go in the dumpster

Ah yes, that would explain the lack of a single piece of matching equipment. Not sure where the anime end table shrines are from.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd share an email correspondence I've had with CitizenSlum, the main proprietor for Northwest Gamers. He seems to claim that his establishment is meant to foster a sort of fellowship among gamers, hosting tournaments and spends quite a bit of time in this forum getting people interested in travelling accross the country in order to participate in his endeavors. My initial email was originally for a craigslist posting OP made in the Seattle area, stating he had paying employment opportunities at Northwest Gamers, his company. The emails;

Vercaelus: Hey, this is Vercaelus from Reddit. Is there any particular reason why you wish to have our discussion through email, rather than through the Reddit messaging system?

Slum Lord:

Deleted.

Best Regards,

SlumLord

Vercaelus: I'm sorry, what exactly do you mean? I'm messaging you to speak about Northwest Gamers.

Slum Lord: Each email I process is valued at around $12.50, and I send hundreds per day. I have no time for wasteful comms. Had you been someone who was truly ready, and right for the opportunity of a lifetime, you would not have wasted your time or mine with, a silly question like that. Pro-Tip: No one of any substantial merit uses Reddit for communication purposes. Almost all professional comms protocols call for email-only transmissions.

However, if you would like to be a part of NWG, feel free to make a name for yourself.

Vercaelus: To attempt to gauge the "readiness" of a person for a specific capacity based on their concerns about communications-bouncing is absurd at best, and is hardly a good business tactic. I am in no way attempting to establish professional-level communication with you; I have no idea who you are, what you offer, or what you're after. Given the false friendly and casual presentation, then trying to do a 180 and respond to me like I have the gall to use Reddit to casually discuss an opportunity you posted ON REDDIT, leads me to believe you're not suited to be conducting employee searches. Pro-Tip: The first thing you should do is hire someone to do the hiring for you, then have that person hire another person for damage control while you're presenting a bad image of your organization.

Slum Lord: TLDR

Vercaelus: TLDR: Learn how to run a business, kid.

Slum Lord: Sporadically send 7 random spam picture emails about Northwest Gamers

Slum Lord: HOWS IT FEEL TO KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE LIKE ME IN THIS WORLD ACTUALLY DOING THINGS?

Whilst you sit there not doing or accomplishing poo poo? I can do whatever I want however I want, and man, that must piss you off. It must piss you off to no end that I can start a company, not give a gently caress about it, and make money from it, then start another one, make a bunch of money off it too, and then hire some badass motherfucking poo poo kickers who beat up nerds like you back in high school.

Oh check this piece of property I just bought for $10 bucks you little loser: link omitted due to subreddit rules. It turns out the house was basically a gift, because /user/CitizenSlum had fallen on hard times following the birth of a son, and the friend wanted to help a friend in need, so he gifted him a home. He has the audacity to claim this as some sort of proof of being business savvy.

Vercaelus: TLDR

Slum Lord: LOL! Touche!

Vercaelus: If you think thats funny, you should see what I just posted on your reddit ad lol.

Slum Lord: link fag

Vercaelus: For the record, it makes me feel terrible to know that, if your claims are true, there are people out there with horrendous attitudes like yours actively influencing and shaping the world around us in a way that aligns with your views. The world is in the sorry state its in because of people like you, and the people around you who are too docile to put a rat like you in their place.

Slum Lord: no clue whast the gently caress tyiou measn by reddit ad

Vercaelus: Why is your typing deteriorating so rapidly? U mad bro?

Slum Lord: streaming, have 1650 viewers earnign bout $112.50/Hr right now. Split 3 ways tho, but uits whatvers you know

Vercaelus: Typically, someone who only ever refers to the money they have/make as a basis for their argument or as their main discussion point is either lying about how much money they have/make, or are just too lovely of a person to have anything else going for them. Its cool though man, you'll learn.

Slum Lord: LOL

Slum Lord: I've built 16 homes in Tijuana and GIVEN then away you little cumtwat. I have promoted and managed several glorious Pro Gaming Legends who now earn more than I do playing video games, doing what they love to do. I have several props here in Oregon that I am renting out for 20% UNDER fair market value because I'm a mother loving humanitarian mother fucker.

I do more good in one minute than you do your entire peasanty rear end life you loving loser.

Now you're blocked.

If his claims are true, then that is great for the people who receive such good fortune from him. However, doing good things does not make you a good person. Regardless of "Slum Lord's" claims, I believe its safe to say his true character shines through his pleasant pretenses. I put this out there as a forewarning to all who may deal with him in the future; do so at your own risk, he seems rather spiteful and unstable.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

True, some prominent LoL teams and SC2 teams have shitbox rented out 4-bedrooms or whatever, and some Euro dudes live in a mansion, but this guy wants to build super high-end luxury housing for gamers that's like pre-wired to stream the house to Twitch and stuff.

For reference, here is what the team "gamer houses" that exist currently look like:

Team Liquid, League of Legends

It's not unheard of, TakeTV has a 2000 sqm house rebuilt basically for his streaming needs / organising small (but great) tournaments etc. Also afaik EG has a pretty impressive team house.

With that said, this guy sounds like a massive derp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I want to watch the Farcry engine buckle and loving burn:

Anyone remember that WWII Online game from 2001 that had realistic damage models and was basically a flight sim/tank sim/FPS/RTS all in one that was an abysmal failure because all the tanks and poo poo had like 400+ ways to get damaged which crippled Pentium 4s? Well why can't Star Citizen have that too?

I want 2000 hitboxes on the Constellation and if the quantum inverter doodad gets hit by a laser firing at 90700.291 joules or more and it explodes, the engineer guy has to go EVA and replace the doodad while in a dogfight. Also, all player characters should have at least 1000 separate hitboxes with realistic modeling of vital human internal organs requiring the ship surgeon character to play a Surgeon Simulator minigame to put the spleen back in the spleen hole in the middle of a FPS shootout.

Just think of the possibilities!

Also my space ship cappuccino machine should synch every 15min with Starbucks servers to update their monthly menu as well as seasonal drink listings. Would also be cool if I could send a quantium relay communicaee to seti alpha 6 home of Dominos Pizza and order my pizza for my fat loving face from THE VERSE.

• Locked thread