Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Akarshi posted:

Yeah, I saw Ikiru and Rashomon. I really liked Ikiru, actually, but for some reason Rashomon left me cold...which surprised me because I thought I'd like it. I guess I'm afraid that something similar would happen with Seven Samurai.

Rashomon is a much more intellectual film than Seven Samurai. There really isn't much story or plot progression in Rashomon. Basically, something happens and you see 4 renditions that paint people differently. It's a meditation on the theme of the elusiveness of the the truth. You can't get to it in Rashomon. Every element is contradicted at least once, except for the basic facts of the case.

Seven Samurai is the template for the modern action blockbuster. It is less experimental and philosophical than Rashomon was.

I totally get how Rashomon left you cold. 7 Samurai seeks to entertain and be fun, and that's not an element of Rashomon. And honestly, Rashomon is a slower film, even though it's pretty short. It is really one of the films that I think you should wait on if you're getting into Kurosawa.

Also, get Yojimbo and Sanjuro even if you need to sell a kidney to afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

WATCH HIGH AND LOW

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Rashomon is okay but the whole sequence with the Not Quite Bolero drives me absolutely bananas.

Swagger Dagger posted:

WATCH HIGH AND LOW

WATCH HIGH AND LOW

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't even know High and Low was Kurosawa when I blind bought it; it wound up being my second favorite Kurosawa Criterion. drat fine film.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Rashomon is a much more intellectual film than Seven Samurai. There really isn't much story or plot progression in Rashomon. Basically, something happens and you see 4 renditions that paint people differently. It's a meditation on the theme of the elusiveness of the the truth. You can't get to it in Rashomon. Every element is contradicted at least once, except for the basic facts of the case.

Seven Samurai is the template for the modern action blockbuster. It is less experimental and philosophical than Rashomon was.

I totally get how Rashomon left you cold. 7 Samurai seeks to entertain and be fun, and that's not an element of Rashomon. And honestly, Rashomon is a slower film, even though it's pretty short. It is really one of the films that I think you should wait on if you're getting into Kurosawa.

Also, get Yojimbo and Sanjuro even if you need to sell a kidney to afford it.

You know, if anything, Yojimbo might be the most accessible Kurosawa film. It's fairly simple, under 2 hours, and has plenty of action.

Plus, it's been remade several times, so it'll likely feel familiar.

Then again, maybe I have strange opinions - Kagemusha is my favorite Kurosawa.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I got into Kurosawa initially because I was watching a ton of samurai films, so I missed High & Low for a while. I was pretty surprised when I did get around to it because High & Low is one of the best crime dramas ever made. I gained even more respect for Kurosawa after that because I didn't realize how versatile he was.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Am I weird for liking Sanjuro more than Yojimbo? I love Yojimbo to pieces, but Sanjuro is hilarious and never fails to put a smile on my face.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

Am I weird for liking Sanjuro more than Yojimbo? I love Yojimbo to pieces, but Sanjuro is hilarious and never fails to put a smile on my face.

I like them both pretty much equally, it would be tough to rank one over the other.

My favorite Kurosawa is still Ran though, because I'm a sucker for the way he used color.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I'm in the same boat. I can't quite place my finger on why I've always liked it more. I guess that's a good excuse to do a double feature soon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ran is cool as hell.

Nate RFB posted:

I think I like Sanjuro more if only for the final duel.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Hidden Fortress is a great one to show people with no interest in foreign films because you can tell them that it's why star wars exists and is a really fun movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Any love for The Bad Sleep Well here?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

That's one of the two or three I have left to watch, its been sitting on my Hulu queue for a few months. That and Ikiru.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

hell yeah, although i really haven't seen a Kurosawa i didn't like.

Throne of Blood is usually my go-to for favorite,

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Raxivace posted:

There are days when I think Seven Samurai is the best movie ever made. I will say the movie is a bit more of slow burn than you may expect though, at least the first time watching it.

FWIW I watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time recently and thought it was terrible. I know it's based on historical figures and events, but the whole "Look at how great this white guy is for helping these brown people!" angle seemed kind of racist to me, but even worse than that it's just kind of boring.

I feel the same way, I felt no connection to anyone in the film and since it ended with everybody arguing with one another, pointless. Cinematography does not a film classic make.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can handle one weirdo saying they don't like Lawrence of Arabia but no more than that please. The pressure is building up in my brain!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

what gets overlooked in discussion of how beautiful Lawrence of Arabia is or what a great performance Peter O'Toole gives (one of the best in cinema history) is what a dynamite, whip-smart fuckin script it has.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Island Nation posted:

I feel the same way, I felt no connection to anyone in the film and since it ended with everybody arguing with one another, pointless.

What?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Basebf555 posted:

My favorite Kurosawa is still Ran though, because I'm a sucker for the way he used color.
I don't think I would place it above Seven Samurai but Ran is outstanding and probably my second overall favorite Kurosawa. I wish it was in the collection as the Studio Canal transfer is not all that great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think I would place it above Seven Samurai but Ran is outstanding and probably my second overall favorite Kurosawa. I wish it was in the collection as the Studio Canal transfer is not all that great.

It was in Criterion at one point and a blu ray was even in the works, but something happened with the rights and Canal grabbed it up. :smith:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I need to watch Seven Samurai. It's been sitting on my shelf since I bought it two years ago, but it's surprisingly hard to find time for a 3 hour movie.

It has an intermission, in case you aren't aware, about 1h40 in. I watched it over two days, stopping for the night at that point, because I was in the same boat. It worked fine.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hidden Fortress is fantastic, definitely my favorite of the Kurosawas I've seen so far. I also prefer Sanjuro to Yojimbo.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Phoenix (2014).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hidden Fortress is fantastic, definitely my favorite of the Kurosawas I've seen so far. I also prefer Sanjuro to Yojimbo.

I would have liked Hidden Fortress a lot more if the woman playing the Princess didn't sound like she was yelling harshly at everyone all the time, even when she was thanking them for their compassion. Like, geez, that's a voice reserved for like an emotional breakdown or verbal lashing, not casual conversation. I was grateful that she was playing a deaf/mute for most of the movie.

But man that fight between Mifune and that other guy was great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The general dude Mifune fights is Susumu Fujita, the guy that played Sanshiro Sugata. Knowing that makes the fight even better than it already is imo.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 1, 2015

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Nate RFB posted:

Sanjuro is a bit tighter than Yojimbo, and it's more overtly comedic.

What's great about watching those films are seeing the things that George Lucas took for Star Wars. Like, I swear Sanjuro gave him Jabba's palace. That scene where Sanjuro visits the guy's estate, and you have the small door opens for Sanjuro to get accosted, before the big gate opens up and the entire army comes out just reminded me of Return of the Jedi.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I am the odd one out in that I have seen Ikiru, Seven Samurai, High and Low and Rashomon and Rashomon is the one I remember the most foundly. I really need to rewatch Seven Samurai however

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

ikiru is the best kurosawa. drunken angel and stray dog are up there too. and no regrets for our youth has one of setsuko hara's best performances. i don't like his jidaigeki at all though

Slate Action posted:

Phoenix (2014).

jeez already? this just left the theater i work at

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 1, 2015

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

GrandpaPants posted:

I would have liked Hidden Fortress a lot more if the woman playing the Princess didn't sound like she was yelling harshly at everyone all the time, even when she was thanking them for their compassion. Like, geez, that's a voice reserved for like an emotional breakdown or verbal lashing, not casual conversation. I was grateful that she was playing a deaf/mute for most of the movie.

But man that fight between Mifune and that other guy was great.

Ha! This is from my post in the SHAMELESS thread after I watched The Hidden Fortress a few weeks ago:

quote:

I've read that some people get annoyed by the peasants, but for my part I'll admit I was relieved when the princess posed as a mute for a while....

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Sanjuro is a bit tighter than Yojimbo, and it's more overtly comedic.

What's great about watching those films are seeing the things that George Lucas took for Star Wars. Like, I swear Sanjuro gave him Jabba's palace. That scene where Sanjuro visits the guy's estate, and you have the small door opens for Sanjuro to get accosted, before the big gate opens up and the entire army comes out just reminded me of Return of the Jedi.

What I wrote in the SHAMELESS thread after watching The Hidden Fortress:

quote:

Knowing that the film inspired Star Wars, I couldn’t help look for the parallels: the two peasants were as much inspirations for CP30 and R2D2 bumbling haplessness - swept along in the currents from one event to the next – as they were for Han Solo’s cupidity. I think I may even have seen the spark of inspiration for Ben Kenobi’s sacrifice because I thought for sure Mifune’s General Rokurota Makabe was going to sacrifice himself to buy time for the Princess when he dueled with Fujita’s General Hyoe Tadokoro.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

WATCH HIGH AND LOW

Magic Hate Ball posted:

WATCH HIGH AND LOW

I still think Ikiru is my favourite Kurosawa, but I'm absolutely in lockstep with this... WATCH HIGH AND LOW

That being said, an interesting discussion on what's the most accessible foreign film to someone brand new and/or hesitant to have to "read" a movie?
For me, I've had the best luck with things like The Raid films, Headhunters, City of God, Oldboy, and Almodovar's The Skin I Live In - fun for watching the person's expressions alone. For lighter options, any Miyazaki film (I'd choose My Neighbor Totoro), Amelie, or one that I'm not a fan of but the rest of the world seems to love - The Intouchables. And for Criterion films specifically, I'd go with Bergman and Wild Strawberries.

....and add me to the 'Lawrence haters. That was a chore to get through, even on blu-ray.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've had great success showing Hard Boiled to people who don't watch foreign films.

Also, one friend in college who didn't care much for films really, really liked The Wages of Fear. He was still talking about it 5 years after he saw it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

friendo55 posted:

I still think Ikiru is my favourite Kurosawa, but I'm absolutely in lockstep with this... WATCH HIGH AND LOW

That being said, an interesting discussion on what's the most accessible foreign film to someone brand new and/or hesitant to have to "read" a movie?
For me, I've had the best luck with things like The Raid films, Headhunters, City of God, Oldboy, and Almodovar's The Skin I Live In - fun for watching the person's expressions alone. For lighter options, any Miyazaki film (I'd choose My Neighbor Totoro), Amelie, or one that I'm not a fan of but the rest of the world seems to love - The Intouchables. And for Criterion films specifically, I'd go with Bergman and Wild Strawberries.

....and add me to the 'Lawrence haters. That was a chore to get through, even on blu-ray.

I haven't seen the sequel, but The Raid is an incredible martial arts movie. I'm not squeamish at all, but the way those dudes bust each other up in that film is horrifying. As far as Miyazaki, I can't stand Totoro. I think Porco Rosso or Nausicaa are much stronger films.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
The sequel to the raid was ok, not as good as the fist. I hear a 3rd one is on the way.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

friendo55 posted:

chungking express

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A Brighter Summer Day and The Manchurian Candidate confirmed.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

A Brighter Summer Day confirmed.

link. i need. now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The sequel to the raid was ok, not as good as the fist. I hear a 3rd one is on the way.

I think its just such a different movie that its hard to even compare them, which works against it because people go in expecting another Die Hard scenario. It all becomes clear when you read about Berandal being the director's dream project and that he had to compromise and make The Raid first because it was an idea that could work on a much lower budget. I'm not sure the two movies should really be connected, I think Berandal may have been received better if it were just all brand new characters. Its not like anything that happens in The Raid is referenced in Berandal anyway.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Radio Spiricom posted:

link. i need. now.

Here, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
There is also this

quote:

The festival will also screen Orson Welles’s Chimes at Midnight, from Janus Films (coming from Criterion in 2016).