Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Mirificus posted:

quote:

/end polite/
What gives you the right to second guess the decisions made by some of the best in the industry? You need to sit back and trust in the people that are in the know.

Decisions like this are not made rashly, but with forethought and planning. Things like the critical path and resources are examined. It is nearly impossible for any of us to explain this to you if you do not have the knowledge and experience necessary for development or at least project management in regards to software development.

If I'm getting tired of all this second guessing, from laymen, I can only guess how the GIC developers feel about it.

Maybe you should focus your cars muffler bearings and fallopian tubes, that would be a good place to start....
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6006161/#Comment_6006161

These guys are so toxic its incredible..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Have all these streamers just been loading into the hanger, going to the elevator, crashing, restarting and doing all that again over and over since 2.0 was released? Today was the first time I looked at streams since day 1 and it is the same people doing the same poo poo as back then. Load, crash, repeat. They are all croberts' battered wives.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Octopode posted:

To be clear, I think there's approximately zero chance anyone outside of the F42 Germany guys willl see the engine in action
I agree.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

[/quote]

I've only just noticed the "maybe you should focus on your fallopian tubes" line. Holy poo poo SC, stay classy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Wafflz posted:

Have all these streamers just been loading into the hanger, going to the elevator, crashing, restarting and doing all that again over and over since 2.0 was released? Today was the first time I looked at streams since day 1 and it is the same people doing the same poo poo as back then. Load, crash, repeat. They are all croberts' battered wives.
A Star Citizen describing their relationship with their ex Chris:

Reddit, what are some red flags you saw but ignored? Do you regret that decision? posted:

When you're the only one trying to repair a relationship and they've obviously cashed out.

When someone has wronged you and doesn't do anything to make up for it or try and fix things.

When someone lies and misleads you and leads you on.

When you already turned your back on them because they weren't there for you, but you give it another go because you love them.

When this has all happened before but each time you think it will be different, that they'll be different.

When you let all this happen because you don't have anyone else.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Is this Disco Lando's HOUSE? http://imgur.com/a/R7NNU

He got SC money to burn... Sorry if that was posted, CitizenSlum had linked to it on his twitter.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

TTerrible posted:

I've only just noticed the "maybe you should focus on your fallopian tubes" line. Holy poo poo SC, stay classy.

Do not dare come here asking questions!! the poor guy probably has hundreds of dollars in the game

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ZenMaster posted:

He got SC money to burn... Sorry if that was posted, CitizenSlum had linked to it on his twitter.

Those curtains are never being opened.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uknz0/spoiler_the_beginning_of_squadron_42_and/

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Wafflz posted:

well that one dudes gained like 8x the number of viewers he ever used to have so I'm sure thats why he keeps at it.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

CrazyLoon posted:

Lower end of income? Clearly, I must buy more 100-500$ space .jpegs, another 2.5k autism chariot and beer & snacks for CIG!

We are all temporarily embarrassed spaceship admirals.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nicholas posted:

I enjoy your posts

Truly, that is all that any poster can aspire to. All the thread's a stage, and all the shitposters merely players.

Wafflz posted:

Yeah that's basically it. Well, that and shaming their ancestors every time someone throws five bucks at them. What a time to be alive.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Bensday with Batgirl & Ben -- and it's painfully boring as usual.

Ben, on the Anniversary sale, "We made a lot more money than I expected."

In response to a question about in-game radio and tv programming in the eventual game, Ben replies:

quote:

"The problem with radio and TV stations in game is you either have to have an insane amount of money like 'Grand Theft Auto' or you have like 6 public domain songs like 'Fallout.' "
1) You have an insane amount of money-- so put that excuse aside.

2) Fallout has 39 retro songs, 19 classical songs, a half dozen songs composed and performed by Linda Carter and the original soundtrack.

3) You have one so far. And it's horrible.

Ben said they're going to open it up so that fan-generated material can fill their programming channels. That should turn out well.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Octopode posted:

Unless CIG has changed the handling from the base engine, CryEngine does not rely on the D3D shader interfaces, it has its own implementation of a specialized shader system that's not quite the same as the HLSL system used by D3D11, so that's not really an issue.

:allears:

I was halfway through typing up an effort post, but then I stumbled over this gold mine and... well, hah.

I don't think it's possible for Octochode to have demonstrated any clearer that he doesn't have the first loving clue what in the ever loving gently caress what he's talking about.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uknz0/spoiler_the_beginning_of_squadron_42_and/cxhm1cf

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Lots of GPUoons in this thread keeping it real.

Shut up Octopode.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Octopode posted:

It's almost like that's exactly what I said in the post you quoted to respond to. You know, where I said specifically it wasn't a solution for a shipping game, but to get things running while they refactored the existing stuff piecemeal. The entire discussion was predicated by the idea it wasn't possible to quickly get a DX11 codebase up and running on DX12, which is false, not that it was quick and easy to get it done right for a shipping product.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Oh, I get it now, the creature has 8 legs :v:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

BMan posted:

Oh, I get it now, the creature has 8 legs :v:
Grubby (voiced by Will Ryan): An Octopede about Teddy's age. They are best friends. Noted for his large appetite, he is fond of cooking and eating root stew and other foods made from roots (which usually do not taste good to most people). Though not the bravest or smartest of Teddy's friends, he always sticks by Teddy.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
More like wrongtopode

Heh

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

G0RF posted:

Ben said they're going to open it up so that fan-generated material can fill their programming channels. That should turn out well.

GAAAHHH !

Too deep in the rabbit hole ! ABORT !

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ZenMaster posted:

Remember in 40 Year Old Virgin there's that scene where he gets a girl to come over and they have to hide his toys from her so she doesn't find out he's a virgin manchild and when he opens the door the place is totally empty and he has to pretend he's getting new carpets.

That was a funny movie.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Patch notes!

Patch G posted:

Gameplay:
  • Fixed an issue where loading into Arena Commander from the Main Menu would put players in the incorrect ship.
  • Contacts that have been invited to party will now go to the top of the contact list. The “Party Leader” is now specified on the contact list. There is now a chat message for both the invitee and invited when a party invitation is accepted and successful.
  • Reduced the excessive ship-turbulence from gforces, so that it only becomes noticeable when a character is close to blacking out.
  • Fixed an issue where the Constellation and Retaliator HUDs were missing Quantum Travel nav points.
  • Fixed an issue where the Mission Objective marker remained on the screen even when it had been told to hide in MobiGlas.
  • Fixed an issue where Mobiglas is severely offset from the left wrist of the player character.
  • Fixed an issue where the lights in the center of AstroArmada would flicker on and off as characters ran through the center.
  • Fixed an issue where sprinting with the Arclight pistol would force the camera to lock and the player character would be unable to look up or down.
  • Fixed several server-side crashes and performance problems. Fixed several client crashes around Port Olisar.

Wait- there are parties and contacts and invites? How the hell do you invite someone to a group?

Every single patch so far has fixed multiple server-side crashes. It's kind of crazy how many there were when this went out the door.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
do you guys think star citizen will survive long enough to have development delays for DX13

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Sarsapariller posted:

Patch notes!

Wait- there are parties and contacts and invites? How the hell do you invite someone to a group?

Every single patch so far has fixed multiple server-side crashes. It's kind of crazy how many there were when this went out the door.

So whenever they release a patch, 2.0 is stable for a little while then goes back to being a crash-fest. What could be the root of that problem?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

do you guys think star citizen will survive long enough to have development delays for DX13

We'll all be playing on our X Box Two by the time it's released arglrblargle

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

SirPhoebos posted:

So whenever they release a patch, 2.0 is stable for a little while then goes back to being a crash-fest. What could be the root of that problem?

They look at it after the release, the servers barely don't start making GBS threads bricks, they add another 50k players, then the servers poo poo bricks.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I sharted bricks once

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Furious Mittens posted:

It just keeps getting better and better - now people are designing their life's work, their home, around Star Citizen (for that matter, a video game!). What in the gently caress is wrong with these people?

My answer would be spirituality

(Disclamer : i was raised in a Bhuddist community and while not one myself i grew up in that culture so my perception might be biased)

With the decline of religion and spirituality in western culture some people find other way to fill the void in them that was usually occupied by religious practice. They seek a sense of community and well being, having the impression your life is of some importance. Some turn to Tumblr and social justice crusades, other to StarCitizen.

It take some willpower to accept that your life is a random chance happening in a cold, uncaring universe and that the only meaning you will find is the one you make for yourself. Some people just buy Jpegs and try to escape away forever..

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ZenMaster posted:

Meh. It's a relatively small room with a popcorn ceiling (i.e. it's an older and probably crappy house), plus the X-55 is a pos. The fact that he probably spends a significant portion of his income on nerd knick knackery and furniture to stick it on isn't particularly impressive to me.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Nation posted:

wesha he was dead

Personally I'd listen to that guy. Sounds like he knows a thing or two about jpeg investments.

He might be a hotshot jpeg banker with a garage filled with pictures of sports cars.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

My money would be on memory leaks or some services hogging all the CPU server side. There is a limit to German engineering.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

ZenMaster posted:

manchildcave

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZenMaster posted:

Lol

*bunch of expensive poo poo*
*saitek x55*

Lolllll seriously

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

G0RF posted:

Ben, on the Anniversary sale, "We made a lot more money than I expected."
Of course he means they raised a lot more money than he expected :mmmhmm:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Romes128 posted:

Lol

*bunch of expensive poo poo*
*saitek x55*

Lolllll seriously

And where's his audio? Probably has 40 dollar Logitechs tucked behind monitors.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

SirPhoebos posted:

It seems like 90% of crashes in the last three days have been errors loading in. They explained at one point that their instance manager was bottlenecking and when too many people tried to get in, it would drop the extras causing an exception. But then they said they had a fix, and it went away for a while, and now reportedly it's coming back. So I have no idea. Haven't tried today, I just got home so I'll give it a shot later. My patience for watching the load screen has worn pretty thin tough.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

that slumcitizen guy is..... something else. Capital P Poser

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
I have never seen a self own on the level that Octopode demonstrated in the last 10ish pages. Yikes, i'd be ashamed to show my face around here after posting that garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I somehow got into the Alpha 2.0 PTU. The game will load the entire world and THEN check to see if the server is full. Loading so far has taken over a minute each time. No I haven't been able to play as the servers are either broken or full.

• Locked thread