Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I wanted to upload a couple of images earlier today and kept either getting the generic error message or an indefinite "in progress". I had the same experience on Firefox, Chrome, and Edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Imgur? That's interesting.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Greenshot, a screenshot and simple editor program I use, sometimes has trouble with its imgur uploader plugin around the end of the month. There's apparently a hard limit on uploads through channels that haven't been whitelisted by imgur, though I don't imagine that would have any effect on uploading straight through the webpage.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

slidebite posted:

Imgur? That's interesting.

Indeed.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Imgur's upload page is hosed and has been for a long time. I had an issue a while back where (IIRC) if I selected images with Enter, instead of pressing Open or whatever, it consistently failed. They also used to have an issue where transloading a bunch of images would fail on like 10% of them, but it now retries instead of going "welp whatever"

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pik_d posted:

Is there an extension to change the forums breadcrumbs to the old style? I switched back from Chrome and that's one of the few things that bugs me about Firefox now.

Greasemonkey.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Fix SA breadcrumbs
// @namespace   Baduiq
// @description you know
// @version     int32Ver_Rev14
// @include [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==
var breadcrumbs = document.getElementsByClassName('breadcrumbs');
var breadcrumbTop = breadcrumbs[0];
var breadcrumbBottom = breadcrumbs[1];
breadcrumbTop.className = 'dearRichards';
breadcrumbBottom.className = 'yosposIntellectualProperty';
function nodeDeleteChildren(node) {
  node.innerHTML = '';
}
function nodeCollectLinkPair(node) {
  var childNodes = node.getElementsByTagName('a');
  var hrefPairs = [
  ];
  for (var i = 0; i < childNodes.length; ++i) {
    var url = childNodes[i].href;
    var hrefName = childNodes[i].innerHTML
    hrefPairs.push([hrefName,
    url]);
  }
  return hrefPairs;
}
function breadedCrumbs(node) {
  var linkPairs = nodeCollectLinkPair(node);
  nodeDeleteChildren(node)
  for (var i = 0; i < linkPairs.length; i++) {
    var name = linkPairs[i][0];
    var url = linkPairs[i][1];
    var aElement = document.createElement('a');
    aElement.href = url;
    var txtElement = document.createTextNode(name);
    aElement.appendChild(txtElement);
    aElement.style.color = '#036';
    aElement.style.fontWeight = 'bold';
    node.appendChild(aElement);
    node.appendChild(document.createTextNode(' > '));
  }
  node.removeChild(node.lastChild);
}
breadedCrumbs(breadcrumbTop.childNodes[0]);
breadedCrumbs(breadcrumbBottom.childNodes[0]);

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

slidebite posted:

The more I play with it, the more I don't think it is ublock.. I think it was just a coincidence.

For what it's worth I've also had issues with uploads to imgur in multiple browsers and phone apps over the past couple days.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Greasemonkey.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Fix SA breadcrumbs
// @namespace   Baduiq
// @description you know
// @version     int32Ver_Rev14
// @include [url]http://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// ==/UserScript==
var breadcrumbs = document.getElementsByClassName('breadcrumbs');
var breadcrumbTop = breadcrumbs[0];
var breadcrumbBottom = breadcrumbs[1];
breadcrumbTop.className = 'dearRichards';
breadcrumbBottom.className = 'yosposIntellectualProperty';
function nodeDeleteChildren(node) {
  node.innerHTML = '';
}
function nodeCollectLinkPair(node) {
  var childNodes = node.getElementsByTagName('a');
  var hrefPairs = [
  ];
  for (var i = 0; i < childNodes.length; ++i) {
    var url = childNodes[i].href;
    var hrefName = childNodes[i].innerHTML
    hrefPairs.push([hrefName,
    url]);
  }
  return hrefPairs;
}
function breadedCrumbs(node) {
  var linkPairs = nodeCollectLinkPair(node);
  nodeDeleteChildren(node)
  for (var i = 0; i < linkPairs.length; i++) {
    var name = linkPairs[i][0];
    var url = linkPairs[i][1];
    var aElement = document.createElement('a');
    aElement.href = url;
    var txtElement = document.createTextNode(name);
    aElement.appendChild(txtElement);
    aElement.style.color = '#036';
    aElement.style.fontWeight = 'bold';
    node.appendChild(aElement);
    node.appendChild(document.createTextNode(' > '));
  }
  node.removeChild(node.lastChild);
}
breadedCrumbs(breadcrumbTop.childNodes[0]);
breadedCrumbs(breadcrumbBottom.childNodes[0]);

Been looking for something like this for ages, was in the same boat had a similiar extension in Chrome, but couldn't find anything that reverted the actual breadcrumbs for firefox.. :neckbeard:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Has Mozilla ever asked for donations before?

I wonder how much they are hurting from jumping off the Google teat to Yahoo.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

jeeves posted:

I wonder how much they are hurting from jumping off the Google teat to Yahoo.

Mozilla makes more money from Yahoo than they did from Google: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/26/mozilla_annual_report_shows_risky_google_dependency_now_risky_yahooii_dependency/

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
It's probably not even remotely viable, but I'd love an enthusiast-funded Firefox. If Mozilla was truly beholden to the needs of their core users, you can be drat sure that E10S wouldn't have taken 7 years and counting.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It would be perfectly viable if the Mozilla Foundation didn't waste bucketloads of money on stupid bullshit.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
They also probably wouldn't be in a race to copy Chrome as much as possible and label all features that aren't shared as nonessential.

Maybe I'm just bitter that panorama is going away. :(

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
One thing they don't seem to realize is that features being killed makes everyone nervous even if they don't use those features. If feature X is getting axed when it's used so much by some people, even if it's not a lot of people, who knows when feature Y I depend on is going to get axed as well?

Google might have partially realized this after Reader :rip: and, honestly, Firefox is in a better position because its addons have more power (though even that's in question, going forward) so features can, generally, be reintroduced by the community. However that puts a lot of burden on the community that's not necessarily going to jump at the chance to do more work.

Also the bickering back and forth on the bug to add U2F support to Firefox, when it's one of the bugs they need to address to get to parity with Chrome, is just depressing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

xamphear posted:

It's probably not even remotely viable, but I'd love an enthusiast-funded Firefox. If Mozilla was truly beholden to the needs of their core users, you can be drat sure that E10S wouldn't have taken 7 years and counting.

The enthusiasts likely to fund Mozilla probably hate Electrolysis because it will break all of their garbage niche extensions.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've noticed that Firefox Android plays YouTube videos on the actual YouTube page (not just embedded ones) in the browser now, instead of opening them in the YouTube app by default.
How do I fix this terrible bullshit?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

That article is about Mozilla's 2014 annual report, so it doesn't include their new search engine deals. We won't know how much money they made until they release their 2015 report.

I read that the combined funding from their new deals with Yahoo, Baidu, and Yandex is about the same as the funding they were previously receiving form Google.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Geemer posted:

I've noticed that Firefox Android plays YouTube videos on the actual YouTube page (not just embedded ones) in the browser now, instead of opening them in the YouTube app by default.
How do I fix this terrible bullshit?

Apparently you have to tap the little Android icon in the address bar. loving stupid. Also, Firefox doesn't recognize that the Wikipedia app should be opening Wikipedia links.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

There is an "Open With Native App" extension you can get that will allow you to open the right app from the menu.

It's clunky, but it works.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Looks like Mozilla is officially getting rid of Thunderbird. They put it into "Community Support" mode or whatever back in 2012, but it sounds like they're going to officially cut all ties with it, like they did with Sunbird.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/30/thunderbird-flies-away-from-mozilla/

This pretty much HAD to happen given the major Firefox decisions made lately. I hope no one is surprised by this. (I hope no one is still using Thunderbird.)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

xamphear posted:

Looks like Mozilla is officially getting rid of Thunderbird. They put it into "Community Support" mode or whatever back in 2012, but it sounds like they're going to officially cut all ties with it, like they did with Sunbird.

That article is, frankly, poo poo. First, Mozilla has committed to providing financial support to let the Thunderbird team hire some contractors to work on various parts of this change, as well as (finally!) accepting user donations to help fund Thunderbird. Long-term, I expect Thunderbird will still split off from Mozilla, since most of the tech Thunderbird needs (XUL) is being EoLed in Gecko anyway. At that point, the benefits of being tied to Mozilla become more and more limited. Currently, this really isn't much different from the days when Mozilla Messaging was a separate corporation.

Also, this part is flat-out wrong: "Mozilla and the wider Thunderbird community have not provided any updates on how many Thunderbird users there are today, or how many downloads of the client, or what kind of usage the application sees." Had the author merely Googled "thunderbird usage" before publishing the article, they would have found this, from February of this year: https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2015/02/thunderbird-usage-continues-to-grow/

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have many email addresses and it's PITA to check them separately. Thunderbird combines them all in one well working application. Why wouldn't you use it?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Ihmemies posted:

I have many email addresses and it's PITA to check them separately. Thunderbird combines them all in one well working application. Why wouldn't you use it?

Because that's not unique to Thunderbird, also the proliferation of mobile devices.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I used Thunderbird for years, but I would always run into weird bugs like mail not getting checked, column widths not staying where I set them, filtering being broken, and maybe other things. I switched to eM Client a couple months ago or so, and it's been smooth sailing since (except for the minor annoyance of them not adding threaded conversations for evidently years).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I would also like to say, for anyone who uses Thunderbird and has problems: please file bugs! If it's an old bug and it's not getting attention, you can also post here and I'll probably see it. I'm a submodule owner in Thunderbird and occasionally still write patches. I've fixed decade-old bugs before because a goon mentioned it was annoying them.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I love Thunderbird and have been using it since forever, but I wish they'd update the UI for Windows 10. As it is now, trying to apply themes to it looks awful (much like Firefox did at first, until its subsequent update)

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
I still use Thunderbird for email and RSS on Windows, what's a non-lovely replacement?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to keep using Thunderbird until one of us stops being supported by whatever version of Windows we have when the icecaps melt.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just noticed that my new FF 42.0 install (just built a new system) is not spell checking. As in, "rgpoihg" has no red line under it.

Did I miss something in the install? How do I turn it on? My spelling is pretty awful so I rely on it fairly heavily. :sigh:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

slidebite posted:

I just noticed that my new FF 42.0 install (just built a new system) is not spell checking. As in, "rgpoihg" has no red line under it.

Did I miss something in the install? How do I turn it on? My spelling is pretty awful so I rely on it fairly heavily. :sigh:
Options -> Advanced -> Check my spelling as I type

Other than that, I dunno.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, that's checked. Weird. Maybe I'll try a reinstall tonight, been meaning to put 64bit FF in it anyhow.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

slidebite posted:

slidebite posted:

Yeah, that's checked. Weird. Maybe I'll try a reinstall tonight, been meaning to put 64bit FF in it anyhow.

Check if you have it turned on in your OS settings, too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

slidebite posted:

Do you have a Firefox dictionary installed?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I still use Thunderbird. Only problems I have are with the Google Calendar extension, where events I've already dismissed from my phone pop up on every thunderbird install even weeks after the event. Also usually 2-4 duplicates of the same event end up appearing simultaneously.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I use Thunderbird a ton. I hope it lasts.

Boingboing did a good article on it yesterday, and it is sad how private mail clients seem to be dying due to simple fact online mail makes money via ad profiling.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Desuwa posted:

Also the bickering back and forth on the bug to add U2F support to Firefox, when it's one of the bugs they need to address to get to parity with Chrome, is just depressing.
That's just a sad sad story. Bug in question if you want to feel blue.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

astral posted:

Check if you have it turned on in your OS settings, too.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you have a Firefox dictionary installed?
How do I check those?
Apprecaite the help.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Marinmo posted:

That's just a sad sad story. Bug in question if you want to feel blue.

I don't see what there is to be sad about? Mozilla employees said "ok, but we need a USB library in Gecko first", and then some non-employees had a slapfight in the middle of the bug, and then someone posted a patch to add a USB library to Gecko which is getting attention from a Mozilla employee who can review the patch when it's ready.

Also, the dev-platform list literally has a message from yesterday titled "Intent to implement and ship: FIDO U2F API", so there's even less to be sad about. If you'd like to avoid the peanut gallery and see what Important People have to say about the feature, that's probably a better place to look. (It also includes a bonus apology from a Chrome dev for shipping the old-and-busted U2F API without announcing it on their mailing lists, and putting Firefox in a bit of a bad spot.)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 2, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

slidebite posted:

How do I check those?
Apprecaite the help.

For mine I just type British into the Add-ons search box and it shows me options to install English dictionaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

I still use Thunderbird for email and RSS on Windows, what's a non-lovely replacement?

i use newsblur for rss and mailbird for mail. mailbird is a weird one for me - no one talks about it but it works pretty well and looks quite nice, which in the mournful word of windows mail clients means my identity must be in the hands of 10,000 chinese hackers as penance

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 3, 2015