Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hi. Formula 1 is in its post-season so the next race isn't for 109 days as of this OP. Let's talk about Formula 1 in general in this thread.

It's run by this guy:

That's really all there is to know for now.

For those that more curious here are some resources:

http://www.formula1.com/ - Official F1 site. Pretty decent info with great profiles written for past and current champions in their Hall of Champions.

http://www.autosport.com/ - One of the premier motorsport news sites with a heavy focus on F1. Great for day-to-day news. Their paywall features have severely dipped in quality but the one written by Dieter Rencken is quite worth it. He has a very strong and deep connections to behind the scenes running of Formula 1 and makes very sage and accurate predictions on what the future entails for this magnificient sport.

http://www.motorsport.com/ - Before they were just some sort of photo dump for general motorsport photos but they've apparently retooled themselves and dumped a ton of cash into the actual journalistic side of things. Poached some of the best writers from Autosport and F1 Racing magazine.

http://www.f1racing.co.uk/ - A magazine but a drat good one. Great interviews and features. Worth the cost of subscription, IMO.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/ - James Allen used to be kind of an obnoxious commentator for British coverage of F1 but he never really bothered me. He's always been a journalist as well and does some drat fine work. Definitely worth a read.

http://adamcooperf1.com/ - Adam Cooper isn't as well known as James Allen mainly cause he was never really on TV but he's one of the real dyed in the wool F1 journalist and has been around for a while. Very well respected and he writes for Motorsport as well as his own blog here. Great stuff.

Watch these series as well if you're into real racing and are burnt out on the absolute garbage that is North American events of cars going fast but not really racing series:

WEC (World Endurance Championship) - http://www.fiawec.com/ - We're entering another golden age of Sports Car racing and WEC is leading the way. Also incorporates the 24 hours of Le Mans into their calendar. Fantastic racing, fantastic races, fantastic race tracks except for the one in Bahrain, great cars and drivers.

MotoGP - http://www.motogp.com/ - Prototype motorcycle grand prix racing. Fantastic racing, great bikes and personalities. Love that Valentino Rossi.

WRC (World Rally Championship) - http://www.wrc.com/en/ - Controversial inclusion but, really, it's hard to find a premier rallying championship these days. Has been in decline for quite a while. No real personalities these days and really, really.... really lovely cars. The FIA has been trying to revive this series for quite a while and thankfully they seem to have cockblocked Red Bull from really loving rallying up with their inane ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
McLaren are poo poo.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Ferrari are poo poo and will be more poo poo next year.

This thread is poo poo

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Alain Post posted:

McLaren are poo poo.

For now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

They will want to do better next season, I think.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
To continue from the last thread '86 is an exception to the rule. The MP4/2 was too old and definitely not a match for the FW11, but Prost's driving and Williams infighting helped him win.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I don't like the title of this thread

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Great thread title.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also please don't say WEC has "great cars and drivers" when it includes Mark Webber.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Alain Post posted:

McLaren are poo poo.

'greed

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
f1

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's the title it deserves after such an uninspiring and lukewarm season we just had.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Let's not forget Lewis Hammy is a complete fraud who got beaten by his superior racer teammate Nico Rosberg in the last 3 races.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Also please don't say WEC has "great cars and drivers" when it includes Mark Webber.

The WEC has 2.3 teams, staffed by F1 rejects and Formula Nippon drivers.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Both WEC and WRC currently suffer from bubble dome syndrome. The cars look uninspiring and I couldn't care less about them. Wasn't there a period of time where the top level of WEC/whatever it was named required you to homologate cars?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

Both WEC and WRC currently suffer from bubble dome syndrome. The cars look uninspiring and I couldn't care less about them. Wasn't there a period of time where the top level of WEC/whatever it was named required you to homologate cars?

There was the GT1 period but the homologation rules were a complete joke.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Those homologation cars were raw and barely road worthy.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I think it might have been as low as 2, but you could conceivably go out and buy those insane cars with a bit of carpetting from a hardware store thrown in.

edit: number appears to be 25.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Alain Post posted:

Best example of this: There was a rule that the GT-based cars needed to have enough storage space to store a suitcase. Mercedes put a small hole in an unused area of the chassis, while Toyota successfully claimed that you could store a suitcase in the gas tank.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Toyota built 1 GT-One and I don't even think it was sold to the public.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There were 2 R390s and I think both are in a Nissan Storage Warehouse.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Toyota are good at cheats but they always get caught

Also they didn't know how to properly cheat in F1

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Ferrari owns, will continue to own in 2016.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

There were 2 R390s and I think both are in a Nissan Storage Warehouse.

Hell that's more than they're going to keep of their current car.

Also rumors are that Red Bull are going to brand their engine Nissan which makes complete sense as Infiniti terminated as a title sponsor.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

This thread will be good and cool

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Q0hlu1qt4

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I hope Roscoe leaves dumps in all your stockings for Christmas.

Hamilton 3peat forthcoming?
Nico's redemption tour?
Vettelsreich/Italian Fascists WWIII part 5?
Fernandomania?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

2016 will be the land of the glorious rising McLaren Honda and I think you'll find my fine Austrian friend will agree with me.

Seriously though they may as well just call it the McLaren Rover 800 right now and get it over with

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Keyser S0ze posted:

I hope Roscoe leaves dumps in all your stockings for Christmas.

Hamilton 3peat forthcoming?
Nico's redemption tour?
Vettelsreich/Italian Fascists WWIII part 5?
Fernandomania?

Sergio perez comes out of nowhere to win his first WDC. Calling it now.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Sergio perez comes out of nowhere to win his first WDC. Calling it now.

:420:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Alain Post posted:

That's current WEC World Champion Mark Webber thank you very much! :australia:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Every F1 team is poo poo

Every F1 Champion is a Fraud

The thread title is loving awful

did I do this right?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Let it be known that I wanted the thread title to be "Weekend at Nando's"

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Ferrari owns, will continue to own in 2016.

Well duh, they are powering 2016 World Constructors Champions Haas F1 :911:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
This sounds ridiculous, but go watch Lewis' snap chat story...he's utterly poo poo housed :guinness:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

GramCracker posted:

This sounds ridiculous, but go watch Lewis' snap chat story...he's utterly poo poo housed :guinness:

Post a play by play

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

GramCracker posted:

What happened to being a god-bothering teetotaler?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

1500quidporsche posted:

Let it be known that I wanted the thread title to be "Weekend at Nando's"

:agreed:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This is not the thread title that we need but the thread title we deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004