Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I assumed that would be called "tampering with evidence."

:lol:

Yeah, ask nm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Don't a lot of cameras have the option to not record audio? use that if you're really concerned.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
California law (VC26708) technically requires that a "video event recorder" have a notice that audio will be recorded.
Technically under PC632, recording audio with two or more parties without consent when one party intends the conversation to be confidential is a crime and makes it inadmissible.
I suspect that stripping out the audio would fix the problems, but I'd have to do research on that.

Generally, my advice in cars is to turn off the audio. I don't generally see the utility, but I guess the other party might confess everything.
With motorcycles, I suspect it matters less as that is all in public and no one would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Just turn it off before you go inside.

After getting hit by a loving car (and being "lucky" enough to be hit in front of a bar with a poo poo ton of cameras), I'm getting a helmet cam for my bike and leaving audio on. Any recommendations for a cheap and light helmet cam? Battery life need not be that extraordinary.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nm posted:

California law (VC26708) technically requires that a "video event recorder" have a notice that audio will be recorded.
Technically under PC632, recording audio with two or more parties without consent when one party intends the conversation to be confidential is a crime and makes it inadmissible.
I suspect that stripping out the audio would fix the problems, but I'd have to do research on that.

Generally, my advice in cars is to turn off the audio. I don't generally see the utility, but I guess the other party might confess everything.
With motorcycles, I suspect it matters less as that is all in public and no one would have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Just turn it off before you go inside.

After getting hit by a loving car (and being "lucky" enough to be hit in front of a bar with a poo poo ton of cameras), I'm getting a helmet cam for my bike and leaving audio on. Any recommendations for a cheap and light helmet cam? Battery life need not be that extraordinary.
Old gen GoPro? The new ones are $400, I can't imagine any of the old ones are holding that much value.

Also, this has been getting picked up by a lot of people for similar purposes in PYF:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFMT1RM

Chinese GoPro knockoff.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 19, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nm posted:

I record audio (although it's not working properly right now) because I can imagine cases where something like the squeal of the brakes of a car that is out of frame, the sound of an approaching siren, or even just someone honking their horn could provide relevant context to an accident. I also want to record interactions with the police, including police instructions broadcast over a loudspeaker.

In your not-legally-binding lawyer opinion, if an officer pulls me over, do I have to tell them that I'm recording audio and/or video? If an officer instructs me (or "requests") to turn off a dashcam, do I have to obey?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

nm posted:

The Drift Stealth 2 can be top or side mounted flat against your helmet. Rainproof without a case. It's also useable at night which is something most of the other "non-box-shaped" cameras utterly fail at. Contour's official recommendation for filming at night is "None of the Contour cameras are designed for nighttime or low light conditions. They do best in daylight."

Contour Roam 2:

Drift Stealth 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgI0r2Xct6g

Krakkles posted:

Old gen GoPro? The new ones are $400, I can't imagine any of the old ones are holding that much value.

Also, this has been getting picked up by a lot of people for similar purposes in PYF:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JFMT1RM

Chinese GoPro knockoff.

Don't get the clone of the knockoff, get the original knockoff:
http://www.amazon.com/SJCAM-Origina...&keywords=sjcam

The clones are running outdated firmware and trying to update them can brick the camera.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

I went to one of the Mobius reseller sites recently because I needed more lens caps. I keep losing the damned things.

Noticed the "new" Mobius-90, which is a standard Mobius camera with the image sensor rotated 90 degrees - which allows the camera to be mounted on its edge.

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/store/products/mobius-90-basic-actioncam-package/

Looks like they only sell this version with the standard lens. I shot them a quick email inquiring whether the 90-degree sensor mod can be used with either of the wide-angle lenses - no reply yet.

Also noticed their new "stealth" dashcam package, which uses a different (and much-improved) mount when compared with the standard Mobius windscreen mount.

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/store/products/mobius-dashcam-package-stealth/

I have a B lens camera and standard mount in the POS Durango. I've been wanting to put one into the Lexus but had shied away because the lovely ugly stock mount.
Ordered a universal mount... looks like its worth a try.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I record audio (although it's not working properly right now) because I can imagine cases where something like the squeal of the brakes of a car that is out of frame, the sound of an approaching siren, or even just someone honking their horn could provide relevant context to an accident. I also want to record interactions with the police, including police instructions broadcast over a loudspeaker.

I keep audio on mostly so I can call out a license plate or describe something that may not be caught on camera. One of my greatest fears now is that if I ever have to submit anything for evidence that I'll be singing along to Journey or something just before...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leperflesh posted:

In your not-legally-binding lawyer opinion, if an officer pulls me over, do I have to tell them that I'm recording audio and/or video? If an officer instructs me (or "requests") to turn off a dashcam, do I have to obey?

In California, I believe the is an AG's letter on the subject saying you can record what you want in a public space. A cop in the windshield is in a public space. I would notify him.
If the cop really knows his law, he will know about the posting requirement which means he can write you a ticket in some circumstances.

How long does the battery last on the mobius or the sjcam?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

How long does the battery last on the mobius or the sjcam?

The Mobius in the truck has a supercap and is hardwired for power, so ~20 seconds. :)

My other Mobiuseses all have the older ~400 mAh battery, and are generally good for about an hour. The current Mobius cameras are coming with a bigger battery; they're claiming just over 2 hours of recording time.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMG1sQ5pIlY

A daily hazard.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
In light of recent events involving my friend and an errant scooter, I'm going to buy a camera for my car. However, I'm not sure if I can source a Mobius here. Does anyone know or have any experience with the Mio MiVue?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

YF19pilot posted:

In light of recent events involving my friend and an errant scooter, I'm going to buy a camera for my car. However, I'm not sure if I can source a Mobius here. Does anyone know or have any experience with the Mio MiVue?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161577541220

quote:

Item location:
Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Posts to:
Bolivia, Colombia, Paraguay, French Guiana, Suriname, Chile, Ecuador, Argentina, Venezuela, Uruguay, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Guyana, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Cambodia, Thailand, Brunei Darussalam, Philippines, Macau, India, Armenia, Mongolia, Nepal, Tajikistan, Korea, South, Japan, Azerbaijan Republic, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Lebanon, Kuwait, Jordan, Turkey, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Oman, Grenada, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Anguilla, British Virgin Islands, Panama, Guatemala, Bahamas, Honduras, Saint Lucia, Dominica, Belize, Turks and Caicos Islands, Barbados, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Haiti, Aruba, Virgin Islands (U.S.), Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Montserrat, Guadeloupe, Puerto Rico, Vanuatu, Cook Islands, Nauru, Tonga, Guam, Tuvalu, Niue, Kiribati, Solomon Islands, Western Samoa, New Caledonia, French Polynesia, Palau, Australia, Marshall Islands, Wallis and Futuna, Micronesia, New Zealand, American Samoa, North America, Italy, Czech Republic, Macedonia, Malta, Spain, Norway, Romania, Iceland, Cyprus, San Marino, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Andorra, Netherlands, Guernsey, Gibraltar, Austria, Croatia, Republic of, Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania, Belarus, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Portugal, Jersey, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France, Germany, Slovenia, Monaco, Poland, Vatican City State, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Bulgaria, Slovakia, Moldova, United Kingdom

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Where I live is on this list:

quote:

Excludes: Africa, Brazil, Peru, Hong Kong, Laos, Taiwan, Afghanistan, China, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Russian Federation, Martinique, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Iraq, Israel, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Serbia, Ukraine

Though probably just means I need to trawl Ruten or see if I can't find some random 3C shop that sells them. If they're made in HK chances are I can get one (though not always a guarantee).

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
So far my K1S has been working well, hopefully I'll get some clips up soon. The only quirks are that, as everyone that has one has reported, the audio isn't great, it's sort of muffled. Fortunately I don't really care about audio so that's not a problem. It's also fairly picky with memory cards, do not use anything over 32gb, I have a 64gb card in it and have found that once the card fills and it has to start overwriting it gets errors about the card being too slow and will stop recording for a minute or so to catch up on everything. It also doesn't seem to be a big fan of SanDisk in general which is a bummer because all my memory cards are SanDisk. I originally put a 16gb SanDisk in it and it worked fine for a while but all of a sudden stopped recognizing that card. I'm not sure if the card itself went bad or the cam just doesn't like it. I have a 32gb Samsung card ordered so I'll see if that's any better.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

My G1W-H is starting to randomly turn off, so I decided to upgrade to a wide-angle Mobius with a supercap. How easy is it to scrape off the adhesive I see on a lot of the mountings?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47NfOt--qNc

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You keep posting things where nothing happens.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Previous one was a logging truck going sideways towards me. The last one was less immediately life threatening. Does it have to end in twisted metal?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

both cases its not really easy to see that. i actually thought the second one was a repost.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
It doesn't have to end in a crash but it's not obvious what the guy did wrong on the video.

This is obvious and cross posted from the bad drivers thread.

http://youtu.be/nnjvcku8PE0

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I was looking to pickup my first dashcam and heard the mobius was recommended. Is this package a good starter? https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/store/products/mobius-dashcam-package-stealth/

The site has a 15% off thing right now. Thanks.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

SarutosZero posted:

I was looking to pickup my first dashcam and heard the mobius was recommended. Is this package a good starter? https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/store/products/mobius-dashcam-package-stealth/

The site has a 15% off thing right now. Thanks.

Yep, that's a good package. Personally I'd get an add-a-circuit and a 12V -> 5V USB converter to get rid of the car charger thingy and to hide the wires better.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

smax posted:

Yep, that's a good package. Personally I'd get an add-a-circuit and a 12V -> 5V USB converter to get rid of the car charger thingy and to hide the wires better.

Good deal. Thanks!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Ho hum just driving to work again, shithead in a Dodge tries to murder me, whatevs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOc18gL2Rs
I don't even care anymore.

Again just dumb luck there was no one directly to my right, you can see at least 2 cars had to swerve over to avoid hitting me. Totally unrelated, but what is the loudest aftermarket horn I can buy :getin:

vvv Yeah there's a youtube video of some guys that mounted a real train whistle in their 350 or other huge truck, then drove around scaring people. But I drive a Fit so whatever I get (if anything) will need to be pretty compact.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 2, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Takes No Damage posted:

Ho hum just driving to work again, shithead in a Dodge tries to murder me, whatevs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOc18gL2Rs
I don't even care anymore.

Again just dumb luck there was no one directly to my right, you can see at least 2 cars had to swerve over to avoid hitting me. Totally unrelated, but what is the loudest aftermarket horn I can buy :getin:

You can get genuine sounding train horns for just over 100 bucks these days, but then you have to hook up a tank and compressor. A guy here in my local Volvo club did it and it was loving insane. Truly as loud as a train. He mounted it in his spare tire well which had a flat side. Cut 3 holes in the flat side and it was completely hidden. He would honk it at any pretty girl he saw and of course cyclists or just dudes changing a flat. Mean but funny.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is it legal to get one that does the little BLLLAAAATT *woop* that the police use (but not the real continuous siren noise)?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Sagebrush posted:

Is it legal to get one that does the little BLLLAAAATT *woop* that the police use (but not the real continuous siren noise)?

I think any electric or electronic horn short of an actual siren is kosher. Though, check with local authorities, because local laws may vary.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Takes No Damage posted:

Totally unrelated, but what is the loudest aftermarket horn I can buy :getin:

There is only one option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NgWHjc3IXo

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Mobeius looks like a decent deal for the whole package. They seem pretty reliable and have parts available.

Speaking of horns. someone had a foghorn for sale on craigslist at one point that weighed 500lbs and required 3hp to run out of a salt water boat. If someone wanted to just be a dick that would be the way to do it. It was rated at 160 or 180db.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Takes No Damage posted:

Totally unrelated, but what is the loudest aftermarket horn I can buy :getin:

Clearly, it's time for a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fUtYEZwgXk

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOzo3lJweg

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Don't actually buy a horn that is so startlingly loud that you'll frighten every driver within 100 yards, wake everyone trying to sleep within a half mile, and basically cause mayhem and accidents and violate noise ordinances etc.

Having a loud horn does not actually work as punishment for people who do stupid dangerous things on the road. All you need is to be loud enough to call attention to your car when someone has apparently not noticed it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Don't actually buy a horn that is so startlingly loud that you'll frighten every driver within 100 yards, wake everyone trying to sleep within a half mile, and basically cause mayhem and accidents and violate noise ordinances etc.

Having a loud horn does not actually work as punishment for people who do stupid dangerous things on the road. All you need is to be loud enough to call attention to your car when someone has apparently not noticed it.

Or one that plays either la cucaracha or dixie.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Powershift posted:

This is the correct answer

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEnK4Hywj2k

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

buttcrackmenace posted:

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/store/products/mobius-dashcam-package-stealth/

I have a B lens camera and standard mount in the POS Durango. I've been wanting to put one into the Lexus but had shied away because the lovely ugly stock mount.
Ordered a universal mount... looks like its worth a try.
I'm considering getting this one for my wife's car. But I'd really like to know if there are any half-decent dashcams that record the front and rear views.

Anyone have any recommendations for this type of cam?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 15, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

melon cat posted:

I'm considering getting this one for my wife's bar. But I'd really like to know if there are any half-decent dashcams that record the front and rear views.

This is the one that's on the top list of dashcamtalk.com homepage for good value.
https://dashcamtalk.com/blacksys-cf-100/
Otherwise scroll the homepage and see if any appeal, or check out their forums.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

melon cat posted:

I'm considering getting this one for my wife's bar. But I'd really like to know if there are any half-decent dashcams that record the front and rear views.

If audio quality isn't a huge priority, I've had success with my Koonlung K1S. If you do get one of these make sure to buy it from SpyTec or blackboxmycar, some people have had issues with the control box being defective so you need to be able to contact the retailer for a replacement if that's the case and the eBay stores generally ignore you. I didn't have this issue but those who did that used either retailer above had no problem getting a replacement control box that worked fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Buck up.