Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Octopode posted:

Same dev team, and it was a conversion for the same basic rendering engine as Star Citizen. Changing the scale of the game being rendered doesn't change the fundamentals of CryEngine's rendering pipeline enough to make it some entirely different project for the conversion.
Octopode:

I know it's a new day and a new series of arguments-- but I did want to ask if you had any feedback on that non-technical question I asked a couple of days ago.

You said you'd address it at a later date since you were tired when you got it.

G0RF posted:

But I do have to ask, Octopode-- because I really don't know-- do you have any misgivings about the funding model, selling high priced ships without limit to backers? Some find this entirely reasonable in a 'caveat emptor' sort of way-- others are disturbed by the potential downside risk and moral questions.

I assume that you're unconvinced by claims about a toxic workplace culture and acts of financial fraud under the Roberts. But if you did encounter undeniable proof, do you think it would jaundice your view of CIG or the game? Would you see them as unrelated -- and support the game while ignoring the rest? Or would you become more critical of the team?

No wrong answers - just was curious to see where you stand on those sorts of matters...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Today, I opened my first mocap studio.

It cost about seventy bucks because we already had one kinect, and we're testing software - it'll cost a couple hundred bucks later.

The animations will need cleaning up, but they're functional.

(I have shown Derek the first result)

If we splurge for TWO kinects it will be even better.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

AP posted:

Derek, did you seriously expect them not to support Dx12? Chris Roberts has a long history of always pushing technology in his games. Any new thing that came along he's always said Star Citizen will support it (the recent lack of interest in VR being an exception and that could be he's waiting to see how that shakes out). Does Dx12 require more work than 64 bit large world, assume for the moment that they actually did what they said they were going to do with large world even though you think they fudged it.

He's not interested in VR because his idiotic head bobbling is already making many people ill. Put that dipshittery on VR goggles and 90% of the planet will be puking every time your head flails around wildly while sitting down or climbing into a cockpit, or even just jittering constantly while you're flying your spaceship at a constant speed in empty space (which should have zero jittering).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Warcabbit posted:

Today, I opened my first mocap studio.

It cost about seventy bucks because we already had one kinect, and we're testing software - it'll cost a couple hundred bucks later.

The animations will need cleaning up, but they're functional.

(I have shown Derek the first result)

If we splurge for TWO kinects it will be even better.

poo poo I have a kinect lying around. I'll trade it to you for a copy of the game. You already owe me a statue.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

FrankieGoes posted:

He's not interested in VR because his idiotic head bobbling is already making many people ill. Put that dipshittery on VR goggles and 90% of the planet will be puking every time your head flails around wildly while sitting down or climbing into a cockpit, or even just jittering constantly while you're flying your spaceship at a constant speed in empty space (which should have zero jittering).

I'm not sure if that's true. I feel that he feels that people will be tickled pink at swinging out of "their" bed, reaching their hands up to scratch "their eyes" before doing a triple backflip to the deck of their constellation before chickenwalking their way to the command chair they'll do a few circles in for good measure.

It's like a living movie. Where you can really be in the place of the character. Look at how real everything feels with the inclusion of all these natural, organic movements that are just like what you would do if you were there! What a blessed relief from the static experience of watching some alien body move down a hallway without pausing to blow its nose.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FrankieGoes posted:

This actually sounds like a better game.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm not sure if that's true. I feel that he feels that people will be tickled pink at swinging out of "their" bed, reaching their hands up to scratch "their eyes" before doing a triple backflip to the deck of their constellation before chickenwalking their way to the command chair they'll do a few circles in for good measure.

Sure, until they vomit in their VR headgear and then scratch their eyes with their vomit hands.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I can't wait to see how stable the tech demo becomes when they implement sticky hands and they have to be accurately represented for each player or whatever.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wish one of the 20,000+ dollar whales would have the at least the little fish balls it would take to do a REAL interview. One where after this has obligatorily been said:

Q: So, why'd you spend 30,000 dollars on a video game that doesn't exist from a dude that has a track record of overpromising and underdelivering, and making lovely movies?

A: Because I believe in the Christ Crobberts and the project and I've been fortunate enough to be able to have that amount of disposable income.

The interviewer then actually responds appropriately, i.e. with something like:

Well, that's a total bullshit answer. 30 thousand dollars won't even run CIG for 4 hours, so it's not like the money you gave them makes one iota of real difference to the development of the game. And it's not like you personally could ever hope to actually get use out of all these space jpegs, even if the game does come out and is amazing, so what's the real reason? Do you have a history of OCD? Autism? Are you planning on whoring out your 30 grand worth of jpegs so that you can be the leader of a big guild, and you know there's no other way that would happen because of your severe personality disorders? Do you have a tiny penis? Is this your way of compensating? Have you been looking at your mundane life lately and decided that the best way to get attention and not feel like a nobody was to make one big stand and pay a moronic amount of money for a video game? And since your brought up your financial position, what exactly is that position? What's your annual income? Are any of these jpegs sitting on credit cards accruing interest right now? How's your retirement looking?

The only problem would be if one of them actually agreed to do it, it'd be one of the 5 or 10% of the whales that actually are financially well off, rather than one of the 90% thats making 50 grand a year and living in an apartment and driving a 9 year old corolla and has been spending every spare penny they make on this dumpster fire.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Semi related, I was once driving and I sneezed, coughed and farted all at the same time, and that made me laugh.
It was one quick ATCHOOOCOUGHFART *chuckle* sort of thing, all at once. It was pretty intense and not something I wish to repeat in VR

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FrankieGoes posted:

Laughter that lasts for hours

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I once represented sticky hands in VR and I feel pretty guilty about it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3v1xne/what_i_imagine_star_citizen_to_be/

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I imagine this guy hanging from a tree in a years time

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know about you Unfaithful, but I can't wait to see someone use the grabby hands system in vr and disturbingly caress a box.

This game is gonna own.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
has it been revealed that this entire thing is an elaborate ARG yet?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have a theory that the whole Grabby Hands System is there so the top tier Citizens can grab each others butts in that Gentlemens Club place while they admire and discuss each others uniforms for months

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

I imagine this guy hanging from a tree in a years time

Same.

Jesus Christ.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhmX8oQxoMo

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I am a gamer. And I always will be.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

FrankieGoes posted:

Same.

Jesus Christ.
Ben 14:22-24 And as they were kickstarting, he took CryEngine, and when he had blessed, he brake it, and gave to them, and said, ‘Take ye: this is my game.’

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
I am a Star Citizen. And I always will be.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am a pipeline extender and I always will be

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

G0RF posted:

Octopode:

I know it's a new day and a new series of arguments-- but I did want to ask if you had any feedback on that non-technical question I asked a couple of days ago.

You said you'd address it at a later date since you were tired when you got it.

For the funding model: I think a lot of people that are concerned about the funding model like to remove all agency from the consumers, as if just because a $15,000 pack is available makes it some mandatory purchase. Are there people buying them that shouldn't be? Sure. Would those same people save that money and spend it wisely if they couldn't spend them on spaceship pictures? No, I don't believe they would. If the concern is that the large influx of cash has allowed the wheels to come off leading to an undisciplined development environment, sure, that's a reasonable point of view. If your criticism is that CIG is evil because nerds spend money poorly, well, I think your anger is misplaced--that money was spent one way or another; be it on spaceships or anime body pillow collections, and CIG's offerings aren't going to change that.

Toxic workplace concerns? Frankly, it doesn't influence my views much either way. Chris and Sandi don't have programmers chained to radiators toiling away while they lash them, and honestly, I just don't care that much about the people involved and what they choose to subject themselves to; they're adults producing a product I happen to be interested in, I feel no more outrage about it or emotional connection to them than I did about, say, Foxconn's working conditions, which is to say not much. For the financial fraud: so long as they manage their financials well enough to get past the finish line, I don't think the status of the rest of their money or how they spent it matters all that much. I don't base my interest in other products on what the profit margins and spending decisions made by their producers are, and I don't see a compelling case for why that should be the case here, either. If they don't make it out the door, then there should definitely be an inquiry into why it happened, and financial mismanagement should have appropriate consequences.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Cats, ha ha

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

This cat is allergic to cats!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Octopode, any word on Star Citizen being a complex 3D scene? Anything to say about the shader bullshit you pulled out of your rear end?

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

FrankieGoes posted:

I wish one of the 20,000+ dollar whales would have the at least the little fish balls it would take to do a REAL interview. One where after this has obligatorily been said:

Q: So, why'd you spend 30,000 dollars on a video game that doesn't exist from a dude that has a track record of overpromising and underdelivering, and making lovely movies?

A: Because I believe in the Christ Crobberts and the project and I've been fortunate enough to be able to have that amount of disposable income.

Well, that's a total bullshit answer. 30 thousand dollars won't even run CIG for 4 hours, so it's not like the money you gave them makes one iota of real difference to the development of the game. And it's not like you personally could ever hope to actually get use out of all these space jpegs, even if the game does come out and is amazing, so what's the real reason? Do you have a history of OCD? Autism? Are you planning on whoring out your 30 grand worth of jpegs so that you can be the leader of a big guild, and you know there's no other way that would happen because of your severe personality disorders? Do you have a tiny penis? Is this your way of compensating? Have you been looking at your mundane life lately and decided that the best way to get attention and not feel like a nobody was to make one big stand and pay a moronic amount of money for a video game? And since your brought up your financial position, what exactly is that position? What's your annual income? Are any of these jpegs sitting on credit cards accruing interest right now? How's your retirement looking?

The only problem would be if one of them actually agreed to do it, it'd be one of the 5 or 10% of the whales that actually are financially well off, rather than one of the 90% thats making 50 grand a year and living in an apartment and driving a 9 year old corolla and has been spending every spare penny they make on this dumpster fire.

I too wish this would happen, but I will save us both the hope of waiting for it and give you a summation of their reasons in one picture:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tooterfish posted:

This cat is allergic to cats!

It's owner was doing ironing and got distracted and ironed the cat

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Octopode, did you vote Ron Paul 2012?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

For the funding model: I think a lot of people that are concerned about the funding model like to remove all agency from the consumers, as if just because a $15,000 pack is available makes it some mandatory purchase. Are there people buying them that shouldn't be? Sure. Would those same people save that money and spend it wisely if they couldn't spend them on spaceship pictures? No, I don't believe they would. If the concern is that the large influx of cash has allowed the wheels to come off leading to an undisciplined development environment, sure, that's a reasonable point of view. If your criticism is that CIG is evil because nerds spend money poorly, well, I think your anger is misplaced--that money was spent one way or another; be it on spaceships or anime body pillow collections, and CIG's offerings aren't going to change that.

Toxic workplace concerns? Frankly, it doesn't influence my views much either way. Chris and Sandi don't have programmers chained to radiators toiling away while they lash them, and honestly, I just don't care that much about the people involved and what they choose to subject themselves to; they're adults producing a product I happen to be interested in, I feel no more outrage about it or emotional connection to them than I did about, say, Foxconn's working conditions, which is to say not much. For the financial fraud: so long as they manage their financials well enough to get past the finish line, I don't think the status of the rest of their money or how they spent it matters all that much. I don't base my interest in other products on what the profit margins and spending decisions made by their producers are, and I don't see a compelling case for why that should be the case here, either. If they don't make it out the door, then there should definitely be an inquiry into why it happened, and financial mismanagement should have appropriate consequences.

Lol

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

That is the morning look of Ben

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

RuckusRouser posted:

I too wish this would happen, but I will save us both the hope of waiting for it and give you a summation of their reasons in one picture:

They actually thought that was worth posting a second time:

Also, this:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Lord please let Octopode be a libertarian with a government job. Lord my God I don't ask for much please oh please God.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Octopode posted:

so long as they manage their financials well enough to get past the finish line, I don't think the status of the rest of their money or how they spent it matters all that much.

They haven't, and won't. If 10+ million on actors and mocap, 4 or 5 mocap studios, five Constellation redesigns, their constant ramping up of cash grabbing, the third skeleton revamp, and the dozen other indications that they're completely loving the dog on a daily basis hasn't demonstrated this to you beyond a reasonable doubt, then I guess just enjoy the ride and wait for the happy ending.

Even if they did manage to poo poo something out that according to your personal metrics has "passed the finish line" it's still bullshit that they've pissed away so much money because that money could have made the game that much better.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

meh, as long as they made good shirtwaists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

Mirificus posted:

They actually thought that was worth posting a second time:

It is so head shaking sad. I know this is just one "whale" among many, but this combined with the anecdotes about WulgeWulf, gives me the feeling the mindset is shared by almost all of them.

• Locked thread