Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

dyzzy posted:

meh, as long as they made good shirtwaists

Genuinely asking here, what's the story behind this picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shirtwaist_Factory_fire

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

RuckusRouser posted:

It is so head shaking sad. I know this is just one "whale" among many, but this combined with the anecdotes about WulgeWulf, gives me the feeling the mindset is shared by almost all of them.
It goes on: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uzc1a/sale_aftermath_well_that_escalated_quickly/cxj92ig

What is this reputation that wesha is so proud of?

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Octopode, did you vote Ron Paul 2012?

No one who believes a commodity standard is a more sustainable fiscal model than a central reserve bank should be listened to seriously.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Lord please let Octopode be a libertarian with a government job. Lord my God I don't ask for much please oh please God.

If that happens to be true and he admits it. This thread will have peaked.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

No one who believes a commodity standard is a more sustainable fiscal model than a central reserve bank should be listened to seriously.

Is Star Citizen a complex 3D scene? Why did you pull the stuff about shaders out of your rear end.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Thank you kindly.

Jesus loving Christ :stonk:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Darkpriest667 posted:

If that happens to be true and he admits it. This thread will have peaked.
The peak would be if Karl is really Sandi Gardiner.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mirificus posted:

yeah lets continue with this please, shut the gently caress up octopode you're boring and pedantic as gently caress.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Wesha

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

TTerrible posted:

Is Star Citizen a complex 3D scene? Why did you pull the stuff about shaders out of your rear end.

There is no meaningful difference in how shader bytecode is handled between DX11 and DX12; the difference lies entirely in how work is prepared for and dispatched to the GPU, which is why the loss of shader interfaces in DX12 isn't an issue; the intermediary objects they were used for simply aren't used under the DX12 dispatch model, the compiled bytecode is passed directly to the pipeline state object :ssh:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Is this normal moderator behavior?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5893203/#Comment_5893203

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Calling for the death of a CIG employee: slap on the wrist, please purchase more jpegs thank you

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
lol he was responding directly to Lesnick when he said that. Awwwwkkkwwwaaarrdddd.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Iglocska posted:

I don't know actually, who IS winning? On PCs - DX, OGL is kinda small in comparison (but still there for some major titles). PS3/PS4 is using an OGL derivative afaik, X360/XO DX. Mobile gaming until recently was generally OGL (Now Apple is switching to Metal).

OpenGL won. Nobody noticed it, and it happened to zero fanfare, but the only thing still using directx are most windows and all xbox games. Everything else is on GL of some flavour, including pretty much every non-game 3D thing on windows.

Also, Apple switching to metal is about as dumb a move as the 3dfx glide/amd mantle debacles. They'll still have to run OGL for any kind of reverse compatibility, and obviously because webGL is now a thing, so people will use GL instead. Why make a game for iOS with metal, if you can make it with OGL and also publish it on droid? If you're building exclusives, sure, but for everyone else it's a non-starter.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sometimes reading things here makes me feel sad, but for like... other people.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

peter gabriel posted:

I imagine this guy hanging from a tree in a years time
Because Star Citizen still won't be finished so he'll be outdoors and having fun climbing trees. Right??? :ohdear:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Based on RSI's crowdfunding timeline I think they'll reach the $100 million mark within the next five months, since there's so many vectors they have available to keep current and new suckas contributing more coin (jpgs, game updates, youtube-hype, etc.).

But if that's the case, that's just more rope they are generating to hang themselves if and when it starts imploding.

SC == Sucka Citizen

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This is the same type of person who makes huge donations to streamers and feels superior to other people watching someone else playing a videogame/putting something up their butt.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

bitcoin mining operation in space

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

During the financial crisis of 2008 I made intelligent decisions with my money and also masturbated to a half-cheetah half-human hybrid.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Octopode posted:

For the funding model: I think a lot of people that are concerned about the funding model like to remove all agency from the consumers, as if just because a $15,000 pack is available makes it some mandatory purchase. Are there people buying them that shouldn't be? Sure. Would those same people save that money and spend it wisely if they couldn't spend them on spaceship pictures? No, I don't believe they would. If the concern is that the large influx of cash has allowed the wheels to come off leading to an undisciplined development environment, sure, that's a reasonable point of view. If your criticism is that CIG is evil because nerds spend money poorly, well, I think your anger is misplaced--that money was spent one way or another; be it on spaceships or anime body pillow collections, and CIG's offerings aren't going to change that.

Toxic workplace concerns? Frankly, it doesn't influence my views much either way. Chris and Sandi don't have programmers chained to radiators toiling away while they lash them, and honestly, I just don't care that much about the people involved and what they choose to subject themselves to; they're adults producing a product I happen to be interested in, I feel no more outrage about it or emotional connection to them than I did about, say, Foxconn's working conditions, which is to say not much. For the financial fraud: so long as they manage their financials well enough to get past the finish line, I don't think the status of the rest of their money or how they spent it matters all that much. I don't base my interest in other products on what the profit margins and spending decisions made by their producers are, and I don't see a compelling case for why that should be the case here, either. If they don't make it out the door, then there should definitely be an inquiry into why it happened, and financial mismanagement should have appropriate consequences.

hahahah you are a piece of poo poo

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

hahahah you are a piece of poo poo

I didn't know it was possible to spell out a case of autism more clearly and concisely than that.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Mirificus posted:

I thought we had already established this as true.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Today, I learned that CitizenSlum, Wesha and Octopode are all terrible people who are devoid of empathy. Also, there is a remote chance that Karl is Sandi.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ash1138 posted:

Because Star Citizen still won't be finished so he'll be outdoors and having fun climbing trees. Right??? :ohdear:

I genuinely hope so, have fun tree Citizen :)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Mirificus posted:

Today, I learned that CitizenSlum, Wesha and Octopode are all terrible people who are devoid of empathy.

Indeed, I, too, only utilize software written by heritage breed cage free programmers.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Wikipedia posted:

In January 2012, about 150 Foxconn employees threatened to commit mass-suicide in protest at their working conditions

uhhmmm doesn't going public with their mass suicide go against the NDA's they signed? hosed up if true.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gwaihir posted:

Indeed, I, too, only utilize software written by heritage breed cage free programmers.

You're not up for the DX12 stuff then?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

uhhmmm doesn't going public with their mass suicide go against the NDA's they signed? hosed up if true.

It's a sad world sometimes

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Octopode posted:

If the concern is that the large influx of cash has allowed the wheels to come off leading to an undisciplined development environment, sure, that's a reasonable point of view. If your criticism is that CIG is evil because nerds spend money poorly, well, I think your anger is misplaced--that money was spent one way or another; be it on spaceships or anime body pillow collections, and CIG's offerings aren't going to change that.

Toxic workplace concerns? Frankly, it doesn't influence my views much either way....

(...:words:...)

Thanks for that perspective.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm patching star citizen and watching progress.

10GB left
9.10 GB left
9.9 GB left
etc

:laugh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Truga posted:

I'm patching star citizen and watching progress.

10GB left
9.10 GB left
9.9 GB left
etc

:laugh:

please fly towards the nearest space station without using your warp drive to test :lesnick:'s ramblings that a huge portion of space is actually there on the map and they arent just instances.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

please fly towards the nearest space station without using your warp drive to test :lesnick:'s ramblings that a huge portion of space is actually there on the map and they arent just instances.

Yes, that's why I updated. Logging in to do just that now. I'll leave it running until I head for work in ~2h. Hell, if it doesn't crash until then I might even run it until I get home.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

LOL I'm pretty sure if I had said that they would have created some kind of level worse than permaban just to put me there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Truga posted:

Yes, that's why I updated. Logging in to do just that now. I'll leave it running until I head for work in ~2h. Hell, if it doesn't crash until then I might even run it until I get home.

:patriot:

though id be surprised if it didnt crash after 45 mins or so

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

LOL I'm pretty sure if I had said that they would have created some kind of level worse than permaban just to put me there.

promote you to community manager?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Octopode posted:

For the funding model: I think a lot of people that are concerned about the funding model like to remove all agency from the consumers, as if just because a $15,000 pack is available makes it some mandatory purchase. Are there people buying them that shouldn't be? Sure. Would those same people save that money and spend it wisely if they couldn't spend them on spaceship pictures? No, I don't believe they would. If the concern is that the large influx of cash has allowed the wheels to come off leading to an undisciplined development environment, sure, that's a reasonable point of view. If your criticism is that CIG is evil because nerds spend money poorly, well, I think your anger is misplaced--that money was spent one way or another; be it on spaceships or anime body pillow collections, and CIG's offerings aren't going to change that.

Toxic workplace concerns? Frankly, it doesn't influence my views much either way. Chris and Sandi don't have programmers chained to radiators toiling away while they lash them, and honestly, I just don't care that much about the people involved and what they choose to subject themselves to; they're adults producing a product I happen to be interested in, I feel no more outrage about it or emotional connection to them than I did about, say, Foxconn's working conditions, which is to say not much. For the financial fraud: so long as they manage their financials well enough to get past the finish line, I don't think the status of the rest of their money or how they spent it matters all that much. I don't base my interest in other products on what the profit margins and spending decisions made by their producers are, and I don't see a compelling case for why that should be the case here, either. If they don't make it out the door, then there should definitely be an inquiry into why it happened, and financial mismanagement should have appropriate consequences.

I didn't mind you before, but this post makes it perfectly clear just how much of a worthless gently caress you really are.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

There is no meaningful difference in how shader bytecode is handled between DX11 and DX12; the difference lies entirely in how work is prepared for and dispatched to the GPU, which is why the loss of shader interfaces in DX12 isn't an issue; the intermediary objects they were used for simply aren't used under the DX12 dispatch model, the compiled bytecode is passed directly to the pipeline state object :ssh:

Hahah oh my loving god you are a markov bot.

What the gently caress does that have to do with you being wrong about everything you have posted about DX12 in this thread? What are you even saying?

I think it's trying to communicate.

The intended standard value for the horizontal frequency of VGA is exactly double the value used in the NTSC-M video system, as this made it much easier to offer optional TV-out solutions or external VGA-to-TV converter boxes at the time of VGA's development. The formula for the VGA horizontal frequency is thus (60 ÷ 1001) × 525 kHz = 4500 ÷ 143 kHz ≈ 31.4685 kHz. All other frequencies used by the VGA card are derived from this value by integer multiplication or division. Since the exactness of quartz oscillators is limited, real cards will have slightly higher or lower frequency.

EDIT: I want to effortpost about this but I don't know if I can take any more. You've just said "Shaders are shaders in both DX11 and DX12, the difference is how communication with drivers is handled" but with a fuckton of extra words. It means absolutely nothing in the context of the conversation we're having.

You were still wrong about what DX12 entails. You're still wrong about the Dx11->DX12 layer. You're still wrong about absolutely everything. How often does this work for you in real life, just pasting a random technical paragraph from elsewhere? :psyduck:

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 2, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

This led to me learning the definition of moral hazard which basically sounds like Star Citizen in a nutshell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

God, who cares about fraud and the welfare of other human beings? Make my perfect video game!

What a broken pile of flesh and chemistry you are.

• Locked thread