Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The troll must flow. Interfering carries the risk of the sardaukar being sicced on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Iglocska posted:

Here is an image of the above mentioned space cop:

Careful, carebears are banned in star citizen

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not even joking, carebear is a banned word on rsi.com forums

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Truga posted:

I'm not even joking, carebear is a banned word on rsi.com forums

What???

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

He's right.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

For a short while "Pubbie" was as well. But someone with a brain realized they had taken the "ban any words used by goons" too far.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Berious posted:

That looks extremely badass. I might have to buy Horizons after all.

Notice the thrusters firing as you'd logically expect them to for maneuvering the ship. I'm sure it's all faked but it looks spot on. Whereas Chris promised this feature which would actually effect the flight model of you ship. But I didn't see any evidence of it working in between crashes while watching AC2.0 streams. Pretty much encapsulates the difference between Frontier and CIG. The Elite team gets poo poo done without a lot of fanfare whereas SC promises a bunch of overblown crap that they can't deliver.

I can pretty much guarantee they're faked just because you can't "shoot out someone's forward left thruster"-- "thrusters" are a subsystem you can target and kill, but if they're off you're not moving at all.
but but my realism

TTerrible posted:

Don't worry, not for long. Reddit have worked out how to automatically detect ramming based on keeping a history of everyones vectors. You'll be going straight to space jail. This is completely implementable and will in no way complicate this shitpile any further.

Right now in E:D, if you are a "participant in a collision while you're speeding that results in the other player's death", and you're near a station, you'll get shot to death by the station itself. This has resulted in people in unshielded piece of poo poo ships intentionally ramming other players that are going too fast, blowing themselves up, and getting said other players killed for speeding.

I look forward to the tears of the SC userbase when the ship being destroyed in that scenario is worth $2,000.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

According to brown sea rules, "carebear" carries the same weight as the word "psychopath".

You see, people kept calling people who like playing shooty spaceships with other people psychopaths. In turn, people with irrational fear of a human player character got called carebears. Eventually, someone reported enough posts and the word carebear became a bad word. Some more people were banned for asking why the gently caress that would be a banned word. When it was finally asked why psycho isn't a banned word, that also became banned.

e: so now you know. Carebears are literally worse than 10 Hitlers

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 2, 2015

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Loiosh posted:

He forgot to mention a few:
The upper right missile strut will fail to deploy if the ship is in the 'damaged' state (which happens any time the ship is shot)
The global collision for the connie is missing in some areas (not just the airlocks, but in the cabin as well)
The zone collision (interior of the connie) has some issues. The first one I noticed (lower airlock not working) was fixed in 2.0.0b, but there's some others in the hangar bay.

The following were reported as 2.0 to fix in 2.1 issues:
Hangar bay doors don't work
P52 does not fly
P52 / other snubs cannot dock with the Constellation

There's a few other issues with it, like the lower turret not working (I think that was fixed in 2.0.0b - I have not tested it)

Since you know this stuff will never be fixed by mid December (two weeks!) why not bail now? You said in a previous post you would "lose faith" in CIG/RSI if x,y, & z aren't working this month. I think that is just to stave off goon criticism, like so you don't get the "this person is drawing pictures with feces" level of crazy branded on you.

I am not trying to be mean, you seem nice, but your history is creating a crumb trail that should be easy to follow based on your statements and actual reality.

My predictions:
-You won't lose faith but you'll post that you did (cause the goonscorn, rite?)
-You won't get a refund (actual proof you lost faith) cause that is well documented by you, and it seems you don't want your money back no matter then end result, but I could be wrong.
-You will tell us "wow that sucks, they disappointed me" but you will justify it in your mind and wait for no reason other than to be obtusely optimistic until there is no hope of getting your money back (bankruptcy) and having participated to the full and bitter end, giving money to a company that is actively fleecing people (who have admitted to lying to their spouses to hide thousands of dollars in "donations" for pixel art) for a product that can never exist in the manner in which they promoted it to get said money.

This will make you a bad person if you do this. If you do not pull your money out once you have "lost faith" you are, at that point, actively assisting CIG in scamming people, allowing them to use your funds to promote more sales to overhyped spergs who have never heard the "fool and his money are soon parted" line. Hey, but lots of people throw money away on garbage right? There is a reason why you can't tell people your product can make you a RL wizard, there are laws protecting consumers now.

Mind you, if it was for an actual game, at least they got something tangible, but Croberts is building pure fantasy and plans to deliver on the very least of his promises and then blame goons/media/Ben's food budget cause reasons. Sure, backers can go off on wild tangents and invent mechanics not promised, but CIG has promised the impossible and made it seem like if you just donate enough money, you, too, can fly, whereas they are just taking people over the edge of the cliff with them.

Please do not be this person. You seem chill. Pull your money out when you wake up and realize this is disturbing and growing worse with every missed date.

ZenMaster fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 2, 2015

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I can pretty much guarantee they're faked just because you can't "shoot out someone's forward left thruster"-- "thrusters" are a subsystem you can target and kill, but if they're off you're not moving at all.
but but my realism

Right now in E:D, if you are a "participant in a collision while you're speeding that results in the other player's death", and you're near a station, you'll get shot to death by the station itself. This has resulted in people in unshielded piece of poo poo ships intentionally ramming other players that are going too fast, blowing themselves up, and getting said other players killed for speeding.

I look forward to the tears of the SC userbase when the ship being destroyed in that scenario is worth $2,000.

How does ramming work I'm star citizen currently. This is the only aspect I am currently interested in. Does ramming a shitbox into a Connie gently caress up the Connie?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Crashing very much fucks poo poo up.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Loiosh you can be my wingman anytime, also gently caress goons am i rite?!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Truga posted:

According to brown sea rules, "carebear" carries the same weight as the word "psychopath".

You see, people kept calling people who like playing shooty spaceships with other people psychopaths. In turn, people with irrational fear of a human player character got called carebears. Eventually, someone reported enough posts and the word carebear became a bad word. Some more people were banned for asking why the gently caress that would be a banned word. When it was finally asked why psycho isn't a banned word, that also became banned.

I've missed out on so much delicious drama :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Loiosh is a good person who is too invested in SC

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Derek we're talked that to death, pretty much everyone here will happily accept that they'll never live up to their promises. What might still be possible is that something will emerge that allows us to bug the poo poo out of people who paid thousands for sperg chariots and is sorta, semi-playable in 2017/18 whenever.

I made a long arse post trying to get to the guts of why you think they don't have 64 bit large world in and you ignored it. I think that's an important piece of technology that would have required a lot of effort to produce, so if it's in, it would be nice to know.

At the moment it appears to me either you don't have an answer or my understanding of the technology is so poor you can't be bothered to explain. I suppose you could have a source who's told you and you don't want to expose them, but if you can't be bothered explaining further I'm not going to believe you without some evidence.

uhm, I didn't ignore it. I just didn't notice it. I did have a lot of pages to go through and I tend not to respond to all of them.

Anyway, I thought that I already made a post days ago in which I explained why I don't believe they did it; and if they did, it was a hack (which is perfectly fine). What'd I miss exactly?

I also made a post (in reply to you) earlier today explaining the different arguments because some people appear to be getting them all mixed up.

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I missed it when it appeared in JumpPoint. But they moved it from there on Nov 30th, which is when it caught my attention. Most people probably didn't read it, let alone understand the technical nature of it.

For the record, there are several aspects at play here, and people keep mixing and/or confusing them.

1. large seamless world // false (thus far)
  2. instancing // never in question but most people are confusing their explanation of how this works; especially as it relates to #1
  3. 64-Bit double precision // suspicious; but I believe they hacked it and is not a true implementation (as per positioning and world size/connect)
  4. DX12 port // questionable effort for a project that's supposed to be out less than one year away

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

spacetoaster posted:

What? This can actually happen? Gameplay?

Not if Shitizens have anything to say about it

Edit: drat it beaten to the punch like three times

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: Get a Refund or GET OUT

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Doctor Schnabel posted:

It's kind of uncanny how this type tends to be attached to boondoggles. Wasn't the community relations guy for Duke Nukem Forever some total weirdo who ran the shop the same way, and as a result, hasn't been able to find work in any other outfit since then?

Yeah, Joe Siegler. Thankyou for helping me put a finger on the cause of the lowkey deja vu i've been having for months about Ben Lesnick.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Reading posts from last night I'm confused. Does the goon hive mind want CIG to burn to the ground as fast as possible putting all their staff out of work? Alternatively does the goon hive mind care deeply for cig employees and are besties with them and want them to have a happy fulfilled workplace environment with no meanies ? Or is it some sort of happy mid ground where the goon hivemind wants no meanies while cig crashes and burns so staff are happy until the moment they lose their jobs when cig fails?

I'm pretty drat :psyduck: right now.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

Reading posts from last night I'm confused. Does the goon hive mind want CIG to burn to the ground as fast as possible putting all their staff out of work? Alternatively does the goon hive mind care deeply for cig employees and are besties with them and want them to have a happy fulfilled workplace environment with no meanies ? Or is it some sort of happy mid ground where the goon hivemind wants no meanies while cig crashes and burns so staff are happy until the moment they lose their jobs when cig fails?

Yes

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

mashed_penguin posted:

We want them to pull the plane up, we recognize that the physics of flight are against them, we think it's hilarious they keep pushing the yoke forwards.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3v5bcw/the_cautionary_tale_of_ultima_online_on_griefing/

PU hasn't even been out for 2 weeks, already the fully-weapons-locked spawn room isn't enough. The only loving thing about the alpha that makes it tolerable is social interaction and that includes negative interactions. May favorite moment in the game so far was warping to point Kareah in a constellation and being immediately lit up by hornets- unfortunately they brought piss to a poo poo fight and twenty missiles later the sole survivor decided maybe he'd better relocate. I landed, walked inside, and bemusedly watched my ship get stolen- there were no other ships around so I'm assuming the guy who stole mine had been stranded there. So I lurked in space for a minute and shot the first guy to land, grabbed his ship, hunted down my stolen ship and rammed it to death.

These guys never want to be exposed to any kind of conflict that isn't of their own choosing. If they had their way it'd be world of warcraft with ships, and players would only exist as pretty moving colors in the background.

Yeah. Which is why they're already freaking out about what effect Goons would have if/when this game ever gets finished.

ps: Great encounter btw. Sounded like fun.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 2, 2015

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Everyone wanted this game, everyone put up bitcoins, but goons pulled every loose tether and found cig to be incompetent at best and actively scamming at worst. Feature creep, lies, abuse of employee's, abuse of goons and a toxic community that refuses to acknowledge any wrongdoing has turned this into a popcorn fest. Also Derek motherfucking Smart! (not that derek is a mother fucker, derek is cool and good)

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

ZenMaster posted:

Since you know this stuff will never be fixed by mid December (two weeks!) why not bail now? You said in a previous post you would "lose faith" in CIG/RSI if x,y, & z aren't working this month. I think that is just to stave off goon criticism, like so you don't get the "this person is drawing pictures with feces" level of crazy branded on you.

I am not trying to be mean, you seem nice, but your history is creating a crumb trail that should be easy to follow based on your statements and actual reality.

My predictions:
-You won't get a refund (actual proof you lost faith) cause that is well documented by you, and it seems you don't want your money back no matter then end result, but I could be wrong.
-You will tell us "wow that sucks, they disappointed me" but you will justify it in your mind and wait for no reason other than to be obtusely optimistic until there is no hope of getting your money back (bankruptcy) and having participated to the full and bitter end, giving money to a company that is actively fleecing people (who have admitted to lying to their spouses to hide thousands of dollars in "donations" for pixel art) for a product that can never exist in the manner in which they promoted it to get said money.

This will make you a bad person if you do this. If you do not pull your money out once you have "lost faith" you are, at that point, actively assisting CIG in scamming people, allowing them to use your funds to promote more sales to overhyped spergs who have never heard the "fool and his money are soon parted" line. Hey, but lots of people throw money away on garbage right? There is a reason why you can't tell people your product can make you a RL wizard, there are laws protecting consumers now.

Mind you, if it was for an actual game, at least they got something tangible, but Croberts is building pure fantasy and plans to deliver on the very least of his promises and then blame goons/media/Ben's food budget cause reasons. Sure, backers can go off on wild tangents and invent mechanics not promised, but CIG has promised the impossible and made it seem like if you just donate enough money, you, too, can fly, whereas they are just taking people over the edge of the cliff with them.

Please do not be this person. You seem chill. Pull your money out when you wake up and realize this is disturbing and growing worse with every missed date.

I always wonder when I'm reading something like this what the thought process is behind the post. For my own perspective, I felt I've been consistent since 2010 with my perspective, uninformed as it is, of the kind of expenses a project like this would entail. Here's the post: http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=22187877#item_22187877 - and that here I've been even and consistent on my expectations, my thoughts behind those expectations, and the opinions I hold. Have I given you reason to suspect I would be untruthful in my feelings or my response here?

Does this really sound like what I've said/who I am in any post here or anywhere else, like on reddit or sn? You won't lose faith but you'll post that you did (cause the goonscorn, rite?)

That I would lie about my opinion just to seek approval from a group that utterly disagrees with me on nearly any point? The most likely response, if I was dishonest, would just be to silently leave in shame and never post again.

I like to think that I'm realistic in my view, if optimistic because of my years of testing various releases. I'm well aware most feel that I'm unreasonably optimistic, but if you're truly not trying to be mean, perhaps it would be best to not assume bad intention and try to predicatively assume I'm going to lie about my opinions.

Having said all that, I am thinking about the 2.0 release and what it means. My original post is kind-of vague because I tend to be uncertain on things. I've mentioned before that I like to observe or be presented with sourced facts so I can form my own opinion on things, and that includes my perspective on fun. Generally I like to give it a go myself, to explore the gameplay verbs (what actions the game engine allows). I've said before that space trucking E:D style is not my thing, and why that is, but not what is beyond a few mentions of enjoying the mission design for X-Wing/Tie Fighter and the multi-stage missions of FreeSpace 2.

I guess the most accurate measure would be something akin to I-War (in particular, I-War 2), where you play a corvette-sized ship. I-War 2 functioned as an open world, you could fly between systems via lagrange points, dynamically involve yourself in missions across a wide type piracy, escort, battles, and transport. So what I'd be looking for in 2.0 is the basic version of that kind of activity, but with the uniqueness of the capabilities of SC. Can I and a friend get together in a multi-crew ship? Can we travel around in space to multiple destinations and complete missions? Can we get into combat together, both controlling the systems of a single ship? And the required engine things: Is it stable for long play sessions? Can my friend join in my game?

If you really want to see my opinion, I guess I could stream it. I have a computer capable of doing that and then you can watch and hear directly how I feel. I can try that when the public release comes. If my friend is willing to join in I'll do that and then you can legitimately judge along side. He's a streamer himself, but tends to focus on playing retro games.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

mashed_penguin posted:

For me at least, it's the last point. No one deserves to work under abusive conditions, even if it's not a true slave labor/sweatshop/Foxconn scenario.

gently caress Croberts, Sandi, and the "management" team, they make-or at least enable-the (terrible) decisions that have brought us to this point. Those same people also enable the sperg whales like wesha, dickwulf, and Karl (go gently caress yourself) to be their lovely selves without any form of sanction.

Sure, every regular employee is drawing a check from the KS/jpeg funds*, but they don't deserve to have their lives ruined because they chose the wrong employer. 'Contractors working on the Death Star' is still a funny analogy to make, though.

*unless CIG has pissed $100m away, and they're taking loans against some form of equity, in which case :downsgun:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Loiosh posted:

Does this really sound like what I've said/who I am in any post here or anywhere else, like on reddit or sn? You won't lose faith but you'll post that you did (cause the goonscorn, rite?)

The fact that you still haven't gotten a refund after all the information that has come out would lead a number of people to that conclusion...

Your position is not one of logic or sensibility at this point.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

mashed_penguin posted:

What's the funniest option? Because I vote for that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm going to be a Space Crooked Cop that throws innocent players into Space Jail and shoot them based on what their avatar looks like under their lovely spacesuits. And I'll also have an alt account so when someone inevitably complains I can go on a "Not All Space Cops" rant.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

uhm, I didn't ignore it. I just didn't notice it. I did have a lot of pages to go through and I tend not to respond to all of them.

Anyway, I thought that I already made a post days ago in which I explained why I don't believe they did it; and if they did, it was a hack (which is perfectly fine). What'd I miss exactly?

I also made a post (in reply to you) earlier today explaining the different arguments because some people appear to be getting them all mixed up.

Nevermind, I think I found your post explaining your reasoning but I don't understand it. You don't think they did what they said they did because it's really complicated is about the best sense I can make of that.

I'll be interested to see if they did implement a real 64-bit world space coordinates system or not.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

alphabettitouretti posted:

What's the funniest option? Because I vote for that.

Probably "all of the above" .

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
all I care about is Huckaby going back to a job as a sports mascot, for the laffs.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

FrankieGoes posted:

I wish Bootcha and Doctor Smart would get married and adopt me. We'd all be so happy together.
I think Derek would be a pretty tough father, FrankieGoes.

Every time you messed up, you'd have to listen to a ten minute monologue recounting all your past failings, with reminders peppered throughout telling you that he'd already predicted you would fail in that way months or years ago. And every single one of them would end with "End of discussion. THE END." And then he'd block you on Twitter.

(i kid i kid, derek. sorta!)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Truga posted:

So calling someone a carebear is completely out of line but if you've spent $32K on Star Citizen, you can get away calling for the death of CIG employees. I like how the moderator didn't even remove the offending remark but just crossed it out.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

mashed_penguin posted:

I think a lot of folks here would like to see something like:

1) Chris gets sidelined into some Emeritus position (out of the day-to-day dev and unable to add yet more to the engineering debt)...

2) Sandi goes to Hollywood full-time (and off the CIG payroll) and stops her reign of terror and self-indulgence in Santa Monica...

3) Erin and other competent, reasonable, fair-minded leaders take over completely and bring Star Citizen to completion...

(and it's not just folks here that want that...)

Sandi and Chris are going to make fat bank on the game if it's successful, even if they're not involved in the day-to-day operations. Maybe especially if they're not. It would be hard to begrudge them too much (toxic though they appear to be) that if it meant that a lot of the good people they still have working there would get meaningful employment, a good quality of life job, a chance to steer the future development of the game, and all the rest.

That's just my take.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

G0RF posted:

I think a lot of folks here would like to see something like:

1) Chris gets sidelined into some Emeritus position (out of the day-to-day dev and unable to add yet more to the engineering debt)...

2) Sandi goes to Hollywood full-time (and off the CIG payroll) and stops her reign of terror and self-indulgence in Santa Monica...

3) Erin and other competent, reasonable, fair-minded leaders take over completely and bring Star Citizen to completion...

(and it's not just folks here that want that...)

Sandi and Chris are going to make fat bank on the game if it's successful, even if they're not involved in the day-to-day operations. Maybe especially if they're not. It would be hard to begrudge them too much (toxic though they appear to be) that if it meant that a lot of the good people they still have working there would get meaningful employment, a good quality of life job, a chance to steer the future development of the game, and all the rest.

That's just my take.

I don't know, I think CIG burning to the ground would be funnier than somehow salvaging the project.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3v41yc/psa_turn_of_hyperthreading_for_greater_performance/

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ZenMaster posted:

My predictions:

I personally don't care either way. But it's money to spend as he sees fit.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Citizens, do not be concerned. The improved dispatching in the DX12 pipeline will fix this issue. Two weeks.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

8 points (66% upvoted)

Cultists are downvoting a helpful technical support thread because it says Fart Shitizen has a poor implementation of some technical thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So the exact opposite of what more modern games are doing in preparation of DX12.

I guess its just another thing CRoberts said they were doing that isn't materializing the way they were planning. (He mentioned how Cryengine is mostly single threaded and they were writing code to take advantage of hyperthreading)

Seriously, for a more recent example of a team actually getting their ancient engine more multi threaded, look at fallout 4. Its running on gamebryo, an engine everyone loving hates but bethesda keeps using because its what they have and because of the development kits they can keep recycling. Its properly multithreaded. There are some decent gains from having an i7 over an i5, which a few years ago was almost unheard of.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 2, 2015

• Locked thread