Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Carsius posted:

Are there any good "everything is out to kill you" survival packs other than Blightfall?

Obscurity is okay for that but I lost interest in it. I got settled in without having to use any of the compact machines for base building despite making all the trips up to the Sky Cube and then didn't want to go digging for materials. Good build up though, would recommend.

I'm trying GalacticScience for a change of pace. Same idea, hostile environment, small safe area just with sifting for your materials instead of digging deep for them. The HQM quests are hilariously disjointed what with opening up options you wouldn't have the production necessary to finish or that are quest rewards a few steps further along in a questline elsewhere with no warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Obscurity is okay for that but I lost interest in it. I got settled in without having to use any of the compact machines for base building despite making all the trips up to the Sky Cube and then didn't want to go digging for materials. Good build up though, would recommend.

I'm trying GalacticScience for a change of pace. Same idea, hostile environment, small safe area just with sifting for your materials instead of digging deep for them. The HQM quests are hilariously disjointed what with opening up options you wouldn't have the production necessary to finish or that are quest rewards a few steps further along in a questline elsewhere with no warning.

That describes it pretty well, it has good mods but the hqm layout is kinda terrible and wants you to make things that are either entirely pointless (produce buckets of meth/cocaine) or you can't make for a long time - the massive resource cost to get to Mars should really be smoothed over more by quests. Apparently, people have no problem getting all the materials they need and rushing through the mod if they know how to set up massive automation rigs, but if you aren't, the hqm book isn't going to help much, or at all.

The galactic science author's next modpack, Hypovolemia, seems to have much better HQM quests, on top of some help files via Loremod. Sadly it's still early alpha.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Carsius posted:

Are there any good "everything is out to kill you" survival packs other than Blightfall?

Banished, OMP Sigma, are two I can think of.

I just discovered a hilarious oversight in overgrowth.

You can find remains of villages made of singed wood, you can smash or chop singed wood for dead wood planks, sticks, and charcoal.
You can smelt a dead wood planks into a singed wood plank, and loop infinitely.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
OMP Sigma, for the record, isn't so much a quest book mod as it is a fantasy mod survival pack.

Where everything is trying to kill you.

Everything.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

Bhodi posted:

I like 2x2 drawers; anything that requires more than 4 stacks of something I put in it's own barrel. That room plus a bunch of super crafting frames on slaves to pull from them are the best thing. I looked into making a storage drawer-aware crafting table, and it's totally possible and doable with the public api.

Something else people might not be aware of - you can store essentia jars in the drawers! It works!

EnderIO has something for that now, the Inventory Panel. Still a bit buggy but it's pretty sweet.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Taffer posted:

Installation

Thanks, but it turns out that wasn't the issue, and I fixed it shortly after I posted the question, as always. The issue was that I have witchery on my server, and it messes with villages, and I needed to turn that variable off in the configs for RTG to make it work.

I do have one last question though. Back when I was having all the server crash issues, I had to get Akliz support involved to help out with the problem. One of the things they did was update Forge, and ended up getting rid of the Craftbukkit.jar file and installing a KCauldron.jar file. Currently, the server is running smoothly on the Forge 10.3.4.1517.jar file. Could we switch over to the KCauldron.jar file with no issues and run Bukkit plugins that way, or is there something else we would need to do?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gearhead posted:

OMP Sigma, for the record, isn't so much a quest book mod as it is a fantasy mod survival pack.

Where everything is trying to kill you.

Everything.

I'm pretty sure banished is far worse, abet not as laggy.

Wall o Text.

Every 8th day, mobs spawns ignore light levels.
Every few days, there's a special event that spawns mobs just about everywhere and will destroy blocks to make room for them (RIP infusion alter), These mobs could throw lava, reform the terrain, throw spiderwebs, etc etc.
Hungry zombies will eat your items, they're gone forever.
Creepers explode for far more than what they normally do and lights everything in the vicinity on fire.
Fire spawns mobs.
Lava spawns mobs.
Ender creepers will teleport behind you then instantly explode.
Most zombies can mine and place blocks.
Obsidian is hard to get for a while and is supposedly the only block they can't break.
If you punch an animal, they and all the other animals go hostile and hit for 10 damage each.
A few mobs throws fireballs or die and spawn special fire.
Ghasts will see you anywhere and will fireball mine their way to you and your base.
Mining most ore has a chance of spawning a mob.
Breaking leaves or plants can spawn mobs.
You have to mine out a huge area for thaumcraft trees.
Aura cascade does not have a wiki and is an early critical part.
Odd resources are initially very hard to get or take a while to craft until you get EE3 up.
EE3 doesn't have a wiki and you rely on it heavily.
Phantoms are flying enemies that go though walls and fire projectiles that drag you around randomly.
Dungeon master skeletons can summon a bunch of mobs on top of you while ignoring spawning conditions and can do so from a distance and without line of sight.
Turret golems will despawn after a while and enemies will drop everything and zig zag like a meth addict when being shot by them.
Thaumcraft thaumium guard golems are woefully inadequate and they are the best thing you can get.
Your chests will get blown up a few times and their contents go up in flames from teleporting ender creepers.
This pack really really needs a guide, and most of the quests don't give any sort of tutorial or explanation why it's a good idea to do this or that.
The chaos stuff (the stuff that has "use charge something something") uses your dark power (which you need for making stuff), are horribly under powered, and can easily send you hundreds or more points into the negative when it takes you 5 minutes to get 10 points.
You will never see the sky because of a bedrock ceiling.
There is no bedrock floor.
There is more than enough thaumcraft warped research to completely fill your insanity bar with permanent warp.
Zombies break any lightsources they get near.
All mobs hit hard and fast and most can sprint.
Almost everything in aura cascade won't tell you what they do.

There's a bunch more but this list is long enough.
I know a few things about starting out in banished if you want to ask me.

frank.club posted:

First, why?
Because you will die alot and spend alot of time trying to figure stuff out, and is probably alot more bullshit than sigma, at least in sigma you can easily fly and snipe everything from a distance.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 2, 2015

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First, why?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
OMP Sigma is what I consider the extreme limit of unfair and best suited for a group assaulting the horrible things the pack can throw at you. Worse than that and I really start having problems trying to figure out why you would do things like that to yourself.

I still have memories of testing what became OMP Sigma, and we were greeted at spawn by a Ninja Creeper who could blind you.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I might call intentionally breaking spawn mechanics and the threat of just being blown up whenever too far to be fun.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

neogeo0823 posted:

I do have one last question though. Back when I was having all the server crash issues, I had to get Akliz support involved to help out with the problem. One of the things they did was update Forge, and ended up getting rid of the Craftbukkit.jar file and installing a KCauldron.jar file. Currently, the server is running smoothly on the Forge 10.3.4.1517.jar file. Could we switch over to the KCauldron.jar file with no issues and run Bukkit plugins that way, or is there something else we would need to do?
You can't install vanilla Bukkit and Forge on the same installation, Cauldron is specifically a project to make Forge mods work on a Bukkit server so yes it's what you want.

Thanks to Minecraft drama it's in legal limbo but get a 1517 version here.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Whoops! I knew SOMETHING seemed off. Oh well, I have several stacks of blizz rods I could have used to actually create the cryotheum and it's a better material anyway.

You use a LOT of diamonds to spawn withers since it's 3 each and you need 10 to complete the quest. The diamond progressive automation tools require 7 each, AE2 wants a few, ender io wants a few more, you want to use them on all your cubes, your tools to stick in the machines, it adds up. I explored those weird lattices but only found a chest in a few and they didn't have any diamonds in them. I've found two shadow fortresses and they never had diamonds either. Had some other goodies though! It seems to be a random 'dungeon treasure chest' reward and I guess I just didn't have good luck. But since I got the ender quarry running and the big reactor powering it, it should provide me with all the diamonds I need, given time.

You can actually use metal as coolant in reactors, its actually better than Water i think, let me see if i can find some info.
http://br.sidoh.org/

and the older spreadsheet is here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PwkNinS3PUCjDhlRalxH0KngpAkWak3zmVRP5gE2NkY/edit#gid=0&vpid=A1

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Gearhead posted:

OMP Sigma is what I consider the extreme limit of unfair and best suited for a group assaulting the horrible things the pack can throw at you. Worse than that and I really start having problems trying to figure out why you would do things like that to yourself.

I still have memories of testing what became OMP Sigma, and we were greeted at spawn by a Ninja Creeper who could blind you.

Everything is better when playing with a group of people, because someone can hug a creeper and take one for the team and things are just so much faster and better.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

frank.club posted:

I might call intentionally breaking spawn mechanics and the threat of just being blown up whenever too far to be fun.

Some mob mods are weird like that. Also yes but people are not giving Sigma credit for the flipside of it, the world is hilariously resource rich, the dungeons are brimming with loot to be had.

It was a few of us who came up with the idea, partially inspired by Endless Legend, to put you on a world that wanted you to die rich and painfully.

Then StealthArcher wisely tells you to turn off loosing your inventory on death, because that poo poo's dumb as hell.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

frank.club posted:

If you walk in with the proper social contract, it can be all right. This stuff is like playing those masochistic, unfair Mario death games. Beyond that, it's probably like the first time somebody tried a game on hard as a kid, getting obliterated, and eventually figuring out how to do it.

Edit: There are mods that can set keepInventory=true by default now. I'd say any modpack creator who recommends it these days should just slap one of them in. I did that in BFSR since I didn't want to have to tell people to run commands--especially if they didn't generate a world with cheats on.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I thought BFSR used gravestones?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Wolfsbane posted:

I thought BFSR used gravestones?

I have hopefully fixed that up in 1.5.0.0. It should just start with keepInventory on.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Threep posted:

You can't install vanilla Bukkit and Forge on the same installation, Cauldron is specifically a project to make Forge mods work on a Bukkit server so yes it's what you want.

Thanks to Minecraft drama it's in legal limbo but get a 1517 version here.

Cool, thanks. So just grab the latest version of KCauldron, set the server to run that, and then I should be able to run Bukkit plugins alongside my forge mods, correct?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Does anyone know what this HUD element is?

I threw a bunch of mods into my pack in October and this thing showed up. I have no idea what it represents or does aside from glitching out frequently and showing various levels of... green.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Fortis posted:

Does anyone know what this HUD element is?

I threw a bunch of mods into my pack in October and this thing showed up. I have no idea what it represents or does aside from glitching out frequently and showing various levels of... green.

It's from Technomancy. Manually update to the most recent version and there'll be a config to deal with it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The integrated hopper can be inserted into the cyclic assembler, but it doesn't do anything :smith: Guys, I am disappoint.

Is there an easier/better way to achieve the same effect without either a separate export bus or a separate item filtered duct / conduit? Basically, I'm not a fan of AE autocrafting and I just want to populate a me interface and feed those items to a progressive automation crafter or the thermal expansion cyclic assembler.

My difficulties stem from the fact that a me interface won't push items and I specifically need a round-robin pull to prevent filling up with only the first item. Item Conduit round robin does not appear to work correctly with me interfaces, but the integrated hopper supposedly pulls part of each item available, so it would work.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 2, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That depends on what you're trying to accomplish. You could have the ME interface dump to a strongbox and push out the items with an item conduit set to round robin. It's usually best to use an inventory 'node' to handle cross-mod operation in cases such as these.

Hrm, nevermind, the round robin in item conduits is for situations where you're pulling from one to many machines for parallelization. Your requirement to pull evenly all the materials would still be an issue.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
In either case, I can't get a round-robin items out of the ME interface; both conduits and itemducts simply pull the first item over and over again because the round-robin option is for destinations, not the inventory it's pulling from. I'd need to use a forest of itemducts or conduits, each filtered to a single item.

e: exactly. Yeah.

The only thing I can think of trying is to fill the inventory spots completely with items and hope that I can "Pull" faster than I can craft. It will probably work, but only as long as I have all the materials - sooner or later I'm going to run out of one of the materials and the process will completely end. I was hoping for something more robust.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 2, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Are you trying to use the Integrated Hopper with the ME interface adjacent or a strongbox/chest adjacent to it?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Either. I've tried both, the cyclic assembler won't even pull an item from a basic chest next or on top of it (either when the sides are set appropriately or the customization option is removed). I suspect the functionality was never added to the cyclic assembler when the hopper was created. It works as expected on the redstone furnace, for example.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Bhodi posted:

The integrated hopper can be inserted into the cyclic assembler, but it doesn't do anything :smith: Guys, I am disappoint.

Is there an easier/better way to achieve the same effect without either a separate export bus or a separate item filtered duct / conduit? Basically, I'm not a fan of AE autocrafting and I just want to populate a me interface and feed those items to a progressive automation crafter or the thermal expansion cyclic assembler.

My difficulties stem from the fact that a me interface won't push items and I specifically need a round-robin pull to prevent filling up with only the first item. Item Conduit round robin does not appear to work correctly with me interfaces, but the integrated hopper supposedly pulls part of each item available, so it would work.

Have you tried a Thermal Dynamics retriever? Signalum or better I think has round robin and you can specify how many of each item to go/keep in.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

bigperm posted:

Have you tried a Thermal Dynamics retriever? Signalum or better I think has round robin and you can specify how many of each item to go/keep in.
Just tried this; the round-robin thing is for pulling from multiple machines, but the item specification is exactly what I was looking for! Works great!

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Bhodi and I want to turn the pack upside-down, so I'm trying to get this release out to handle 2 months of accumulated complaints and bug reports. I just realized how long it had been, so I did this part now.

Anybody else that wants to turn it upside-down is free to party with us. I think we're putting the config folder in GitHub for starters. I'm hoping some day I can find a sucker that can host a server version for a week and allow some folks on to edit together a tutorial spawn world.

Sorry I'm a bit late to the posting here; I've been busy. :)

mechaet and I do this via ModderationConfigs on GitHub, if you want to peruse them (e.g. for the fairly verbose veinminer/tools-and-blocks.json file). :) Both FYAD and Permabanned use these configs, though there's a separate fyad branch for differing configs (e.g. Project E causes (or caused in the past) issues when defining EMC values for items which don't exist).

This also helps track issues better than posts/PMs in a forum thread. ;)

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

plape tickler posted:

I'd like to try out windows 10, but I want to be able to run minecraft mods still. I'm currently using an old version of java on windows 8.1 to be able to run the mods my nephews like to play. 1.7.2 and 1.7.10 mods. Am I missing something or am I stuck using old software to run minecraft mods?

I was running Modderation: Permabanned and FYAD plus Blightfall on my Windows 10 laptop with Java 1.8, but it had a dedicated (well, the Intel+nVidia GeForce K1000M Optimus setup) graphics card.

taiyoko posted:

There are 1.7 mods that require old java versions? I know it was an issue with some 1.6 mods, but wasn't there was a compatibility mod someone made for that?

That's the Minecraft 1.6 mod that Techic made informed everyone to install so that it'd work with Java 1.8.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

So I have been working on and off on that mod/modpack I mentioned some time ago. Its still not really done but I put together a small alpha of it to get some first impressions. Its on technic if someone feels like giving it a try. There isn't really much to do and no mods yet beyond the my custom things and HQM for some introduction.

http://api.technicpack.net/modpack/candyland-alpha-1

I call it Candyland.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Candyland?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rahLLvqDvMA

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Jvie posted:

So I have been working on and off on that mod/modpack I mentioned some time ago. Its still not really done but I put together a small alpha of it to get some first impressions. Its on technic if someone feels like giving it a try. There isn't really much to do and no mods yet beyond the my custom things and HQM for some introduction.

I call it Candyland.

Wow you're not kidding about this being an alpha.
First thing I noticed is that the prebuilt world is in creative, hqm questing mode is off, and cheats aren't enabled so you can't turn it on. I made a new world (which generated with vanilla terrain but spawned me high up in the air for some reason) so I could actually look at the quest book, and most of the quests seem to be oddly glitched, with "nothing" items displayed in the requirements that don't seem to be needed to complete the quest. Are there only supposed to be five quests?

Anyway, the new blocks look fine, and the mobs I got from those spawn eggs look ok too. You didn't include NEI so I can't easily tell if any new recipes are present- the creative tab just shows that there are items, not how to make them.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Sigh... There's a private server that's taking mod suggestions and one of the suggestions I made was to include OpenComputers... but they went with ComputerCraft instead. I need bullet points to tell the modpack collectors that they were so loving wrong.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lolmer posted:

Sorry I'm a bit late to the posting here; I've been busy. :)

mechaet and I do this via ModderationConfigs on GitHub, if you want to peruse them (e.g. for the fairly verbose veinminer/tools-and-blocks.json file). :) Both FYAD and Permabanned use these configs, though there's a separate fyad branch for differing configs (e.g. Project E causes (or caused in the past) issues when defining EMC values for items which don't exist).

This also helps track issues better than posts/PMs in a forum thread. ;)
I remembered that from ~last year. I've had one up for a few days:

https://github.com/rockobonaparte/bfsr

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Danny Glands posted:

Sigh... There's a private server that's taking mod suggestions and one of the suggestions I made was to include OpenComputers... but they went with ComputerCraft instead. I need bullet points to tell the modpack collectors that they were so loving wrong.

What's wrong with ComputerCraft?

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Wow you're not kidding about this being an alpha.
First thing I noticed is that the prebuilt world is in creative, hqm questing mode is off, and cheats aren't enabled so you can't turn it on. I made a new world (which generated with vanilla terrain but spawned me high up in the air for some reason) so I could actually look at the quest book, and most of the quests seem to be oddly glitched, with "nothing" items displayed in the requirements that don't seem to be needed to complete the quest. Are there only supposed to be five quests?
Huh, I thought I'd set up everything correctly but it turns out that HQM edit mode was still on. I've fixed those and updated the pack in case anyone still wants to see it.

quote:

Anyway, the new blocks look fine, and the mobs I got from those spawn eggs look ok too. You didn't include NEI so I can't easily tell if any new recipes are present- the creative tab just shows that there are items, not how to make them.

Its still really bare bones. I'm mostly trying to hammer out the very first things the player does when starting a new game, securing basic materials and getting to the desert area. I made this alpha mostly to get opinions on how intuitive and interesting the process feels, so the quests are mainly just small hints. There aren't really any recipes other than the wool clothing and flint tools since the items added so far are mostly loot found in the world.

EDIT:
:stare:

Jvie fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 3, 2015

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Danny Glands posted:

They made right call.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Lol I was gonna ask if ComputerCraft is the spergy one where you have to write loving script to play a game

(it's both of them)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

no seriously, i genuinely don't understand why anyone would consider computercraft bad, please explain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

no seriously, i genuinely don't understand why anyone would consider computercraft bad, please explain

I was responding to that earlier video.