Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tokamak posted:

How do you accurately perform 32-bit calculations between two loosely connected 32-bit spaces and render it?

The 64-bit stuff is a nice programming trick to get some extra information about far away objects and to facilitate phasing between neighbouring 32-bit partitions. This will not impact the moment to moment gameplay in any meaningful way. There's a reason why combat is close quarters with a dozen people, and not fleet battles with multiple squads/platoons.

I'm sorry that you won't be able to use a telescope to view someone else's spaceship being boarded tens of kilometres away. I'm sorry that a ship in the distance will not explode with kinematics being accurately calculated for each part. I'm sorry that you are not going to be able to fire a torpedo at a space station thousands of kilometres away and have it it hit. I'm sorry that your spaceship has a top speed of under 2 km/s. I'm sorry that you are playing with aeroplanes in space, and not with hard sci-fi spaceships. The dream of the Best drat Space Sim Ever is full of glaring holes and it will ruin your immersion.

Welcome to my nightmare (of having to repeatedly explain this poo poo). Have fun.

ps: You're doing great; but beware the rabbit hole (where I tend to go down with the likes of Octopode at times).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

In the latest bugsmashers they actually address this. One of the crashes for the 2.0.0 test was caused by a 64-bit position being put into a 32-bit local zone grid. The resulting overflows caused the physics interpolation to crash SC. I think this should answer this question going forward. The ship grids are 32-bit precision. The global space is 64-bit.

The full explanation is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhzEA15KH8o&t=5m10s to 6:15

Q.E.D.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

however, this is the best and funniest thing I've ever witnessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnmjAsVPGSg

It's exactly as I imagined it would be. Begin the ritual suicides.

Holy hell... that was... enlightening. Ive known a few furries and even they make fun of that stuff... i need to scrub my eyes and brain.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

God drat you for reminding me of them, but yes, they did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blPpnnSOiwk

My freaking ears.. why does he have to talk like a squeak toy? Is there any actual reason he thinks its ok to go full retard? or is this part of the "Furry logic that even most furries hate" thing?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Loiosh posted:

Will do. I'll stay out of the chats and not point it out in the future.

I'm still catching up. But I just wanted to say I don't trust you. I think you're a CIG Missionaria Protectiva, and also you're not funny.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

I'm glad you've finally come around and admitted they actually have implemented 64-bit coordinate space.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

I'm glad you've finally come around and admitted they actually have implemented 64-bit coordinate space.

You're an idiot. Do you even know what Q.E.D means?

ps: nope, that's not what this discussion was even about.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

TTerrible posted:

We're (as I understand it) on the same page there. 32bit local with global as 64bit.

Also, Tokamak please stay.

To be clear, the global space, including ship locations are stored with 64-bit precision according to this video. When I say local grid, I mean a zone/grid internal to a ship. In that particular example, the crash was happening because of collisions after a large ship had been destroyed. For a certain amount of time, the internal space is a single local grid (32-bit precision) that grows in size as the ship parts split. Then they're partitioned. The bug happened when another object (player or ship) traveled through that ship that was splitting, the server sent a position update in 64-bit precision - but now within the local grid. If my understanding is correct, the client's physics system then tried to fit that 64-bit value into 32-bit local grid space (the interior of the ship) and do a movement interpolation.

Their fix is to send the reference grid during a translation and translate the coordinates into 32-bit grid space so that the physics system can correctly interpolate.

So, global positional space, all ships and players that are not inside of other objects, are 64-bit precision. All local spaces, which are the interiors of ships and stations, are 32-bit precision. Space around stations and ships, is 64-bit precision, according to that video.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Loiosh posted:

To be clear, the global space, including ship locations are stored with 64-bit precision according to this video. When I say local grid, I mean a zone/grid internal to a ship. In that particular example, the crash was happening because of collisions after a large ship had been destroyed. For a certain amount of time, the internal space is a single local grid (32-bit precision) that grows in size as the ship parts split. Then they're partitioned. The bug happened when another object (player or ship) traveled through that ship that was splitting, the server sent a position update in 64-bit precision - but now within the local grid. If my understanding is correct, the client's physics system then tried to fit that 64-bit value into 32-bit local grid space (the interior of the ship) and do a movement interpolation.

Their fix is to send the reference grid during a translation and translate the coordinates into 32-bit grid space so that the physics system can correctly interpolate.

So, global positional space, all ships and players that are not inside of other objects, are 64-bit precision. All local spaces, which are the interiors of ships and stations, are 32-bit precision. Space around stations and ships, is 64-bit precision, according to that video.

Do you work for CiG? Because they SHOULD be paying you for PR.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
if I had a cat this is where his/her pic would be right now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If we had a bowl of vegetable soup then the chunky veg is 32 bit and the soup is 64 bit?
I'm trying to visualise it in a good way that doesn't involve anything intelligent.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I got cat

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

Do you work for CiG? Because they SHOULD be paying you for PR.

I don't think I'd ever work for a game company. They tend to be horrible places to work if you like a family life and.. sleep. You should hear the stories out of Bethesda or (my favorite horrible crunch office), Irrational.

One source recalls how Levine would challenge the historical accuracy of a design, down to the tiniest of details. If something wasn't perfect — if it didn't fit in the context of the world — then it needed to be done again. "I realized that he's not someone you bullshit," says the source, "because he cares about that detail so much and really loves it when other people do too."

Other former employees had a more extreme reaction to their boss's creative process. At least one department had instituted a policy of "essentially having the lead observe a 'dress rehearsal' of any meeting that was planned to present content to Ken." In interviews from 2012, former employees of Irrational called this practice "Ken Whispering."
- http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/6/5474722/why-did-irrational-close-bioshock-infinite

There's some great stories about Ken floating out there. If you cannot get enough crazy Chris Roberts stories, Ken Levine is another fine one.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

What, you can't find a picture of a cat on the internet?

Truly, the apocalypse is nigh.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Octopode posted:

Yes, and you can fire a gun in 2.0.
Therefore Star Marine.

Q.E.D.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If you are bobbing for apples the apples are 32 bit and the water is 64 bit

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

peter gabriel posted:

If we had a bowl of vegetable soup then the chunky veg is 32 bit and the soup is 64 bit?
I'm trying to visualise it in a good way that doesn't involve anything intelligent.

Your house is 64-bit, the soup is 32-bit, and the veggies are objects. You can move the soup bowl around in your house, and the veggies move with it, because they remain relative to the soup, but if you want, you can take a spoonful of veggies out and put them in a different bowl as well.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

Your house is 64-bit, the soup is 32-bit, and the veggies are objects. You can move the soup bowl around in your house, and the veggies move with it, because they remain relative to the soup, but if you want, you can take a spoonful of veggies out and put them in a different bowl as well.

I don't have any vegetable soup in my house though, I have creamy tomato.
This is more complex than I first thought.

Edit: My vegetable soup example presumes I am at my pal Steve's house, he has vegetable soup most times.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Loiosh posted:

I don't think I'd ever work for a game company. They tend to be horrible places to work if you like a family life and.. sleep. You should hear the stories out of Bethesda or (my favorite horrible crunch office), Irrational.

One source recalls how Levine would challenge the historical accuracy of a design, down to the tiniest of details. If something wasn't perfect — if it didn't fit in the context of the world — then it needed to be done again. "I realized that he's not someone you bullshit," says the source, "because he cares about that detail so much and really loves it when other people do too."

Other former employees had a more extreme reaction to their boss's creative process. At least one department had instituted a policy of "essentially having the lead observe a 'dress rehearsal' of any meeting that was planned to present content to Ken." In interviews from 2012, former employees of Irrational called this practice "Ken Whispering."
- http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/6/5474722/why-did-irrational-close-bioshock-infinite

There's some great stories about Ken floating out there. If you cannot get enough crazy Chris Roberts stories, Ken Levine is another fine one.

:allears: tell us more about how Chris Roberts isn't that bad when you think about it in just the right context. I honestly don't think a shill could have made a post that's more contrived.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Still, great news about Steve's house being 64 bit, he'll be happy about that

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Don't make me feel bad Derek, it's just the way it works.

Your efforts to expose the Tyranny of Pubezilla and Coke Roberts will always be appreciated by every sane goon whose money you saved if it does crash, it's just after the fire is finished burning, you're just another goon again, instead of Derek Smart, Developer Superstar.

With a well earned +50 points to Smug, though.

What if I made soup out radishes and pixels? Does Start Citizen support such a new-age technology, and if so, how will this affect performance requirements and publication delays?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Still, great news about Steve's house being 64 bit, he'll be happy about that

Its actually just 64 bits of poop though

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
yea I would get steve the gently caress out of that house pronto.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Octopode posted:

Actually, the soup bowl jiggles everywhere all of the vegetables fly everywhere, one of them clips into the bowl in the wrong way and the bowl disappears. All you can see now is the soup paricles flowing around. After 10 more seconds you go blond and the only thing you can sense is a penetrating smell of poo poo and piss... Soup Citizen! Donate now!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'll let Steve know and report back, thanks for the heads up guys

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

If you are bobbing for apples the apples are 32 bit and the water is 64 bit

Your head is bobbing around so fast you get motion sickness and barf all over the apples/water

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

A Neurotic Jew posted:

:allears: tell us more about how Chris Roberts isn't that bad when you think about it in just the right context. I honestly don't think a shill could have made a post that's more contrived.

I don't think I've said anything in his or Sandi's defense beyond that Chris is a perfectionist and a gamer, and Sandi did manage to sell a lot of JPEGs.

In fact, I've said he's not that talented of a writer/filmmaker: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=342&perpage=40#post452651864
That I'm not that interested in all the movie crap because it's not the thing I'm looking for: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=431&perpage=40#post452922419

The most complementary thing I've said is that he's thoughtful and: For all his flaws, he's a gamer and that's cool.

The sad news here is that most of the large game companies are pretty lovely to work for. I mean at Ubisoft, they have a dev purgatory they send people off to:
"It is one of the most depressing things that can happen," said a different person who has worked there. "Many people that do end up in interproject for any length of time just end up quitting. You go from working your rear end off and giving a poo poo to just basically being set aside and forgotten."

One particularly strange wrinkle is the way in which interproject employees get new jobs. In order to get on another project, according to the people who worked there, interproject staff have to apply for new openings within the company. They already work for Ubisoft Montreal, but in order to find actual work, they often need to go through applications and interviews as if they're coming in from elsewhere.
- http://kotaku.com/ubisofts-game-developer-limbo-1644500222

Not that that defends anything, just pointing out that pretty much ever major developer has tales of horror. Nintendo fired a dude because he dared to speak about the fact that some games don't get translated because they don't sell well: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-fires-employee-for-speaking-on-podcast-1723906717 Valve's bonus structure has caused devs to leave because it discourages game development. Hell, it's kinda become a joke in the industry how bad things are at every developer: http://kotaku.com/5940672/pissed-off-employees-bash-pretty-much-every-major-video-game-company

I'm not here to defend game companies, Chris or Sandi. I just share my opinion and try to cite any sources for points I bring up.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Truga posted:

I'm not even joking, carebear is a banned word on rsi.com forums

Still catching up. Just wanted to point out this is true. I was banned for referring to the "PvP slider" as the "Carebear Handle." It was a joke, but Shart Shitizens don't understand what joy is.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

comatose posted:

Your head is bobbing around so fast you get motion sickness and barf all over the apples/water

Well yeah, I really like apples

However I would never bob for apples with a Rift on, barf city

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So is the Galaxy Server in 64 bit and the instance itself in 32 bit? If that's the case then aren't things identical from the user experience as they were in earlier versions of AC, and at large distances within an instance stuff will begin to shudder? Has that happened?

EDIT: Or is the idea that there is a 32 bit bubble around the player and anything outside that bubble is positioned with 64 bit so that it stays still?

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 3, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I liked it better when we were posting things measured in bites rather than bits.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So is the Galaxy Server in 64 bit and the instance itself in 32 bit? If that's the case then aren't things identical from the user experience as they were in earlier versions of AC, and at large distances within an instance stuff will begin to shudder? Has that happened?

According to the video on the previous page, anything not inside of a station or a ship (called the local zone/grid) is represented in 64-bit space. Ship positions, the positions of stations, NPCs, players.

Anything inside of a ship or station (I don't know how this is represented in game, maybe a rect?) has 32-bit precision for its location and the positional information is sent relative to the local grid (interior of that ship or station).

Guessing here: This happens to explain one of the issues people have been seeing where they drift into a local zone (like inside of a ship without properly entering it) and then suddenly appear to be thousands of kilometers away (as their 64-bit local is incorrectly moved from global-relative to local-relative). It also explained why earlier versions, when you saw that bug, the client would crash after a few seconds. It looks like that was this bug.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

Well yeah, I really like apples

However I would never bob for apples with a Rift on, barf city

Would this be virtually bobbing for apples with the rift, or bobbing for real apples while wearing a Rift? If so, what would the Rift be showing? Why do I care about this?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Public speaker extraordinaire will be present at The Game Awards and showing off a new trailer for his human/grouper hybrid simulator.

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/672218506511912960

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I didn't come here to learn. I came to poo poo on people that have dropped 50k on jpegs and Karl. Can we get back to the real issues here?

Like does Sandi make Chris get waxed?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Unfortunately nothing interesting has happened for a while. We're reduced to scraping the bottom of the barrel in here, arguing about 32/64bit grids and telling Octopode to shutup.

Please someone do something funny soon. :(

Anyone checked Reddit for some outrageous mental illness?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Would this be virtually bobbing for apples with the rift, or bobbing for real apples while wearing a Rift? If so, what would the Rift be showing? Why do I care about this?

I was thinking you could do both maybe, I dunno

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Also :lol: at you software nerds with your crappy 32bit and 64bit nonsense. HDL for life.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

I was thinking you could do both maybe, I dunno

So virtually bobbing for REAL apples. This is definitely something Star Citizen should add in one of their next stretch goals.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Loiosh posted:

According to the video on the previous page, anything not inside of a station or a ship (called the local zone/grid) is represented in 64-bit space. Ship positions, the positions of stations, NPCs, players.

Anything inside of a ship or station (I don't know how this is represented in game, maybe a rect?) has 32-bit precision for its location and the positional information is sent relative to the local grid (interior of that ship or station).

Guessing here: This happens to explain one of the issues people have been seeing where they drift into a local zone (like inside of a ship without properly entering it) and then suddenly appear to be thousands of kilometers away (as their 64-bit local is incorrectly moved from global-relative to local-relative). It also explained why earlier versions, when you saw that bug, the client would crash after a few seconds. It looks like that was this bug.

Is it like when you get a new fish for a tropical tank and you get the fish in a plastic bag and have to put the fish and the bag in the tank so they float around until the water reaches the right temperature then you can let the fish out of the bag?

In this example the fish is an object, the plastic bag is 32 bit and the tank is 64 bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The room is 64bit, the tank is 32bit and the bowl is the ship grid.

• Locked thread