Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

Jordan7hm posted:

So with that in mind... RL developers, list your games. I know URR (I think), Cogmind, DMans, Sproggiwood, CoQ... Am I missing anyone? The Dredmor guys are on SA too but I don't think they've ever actually posted in this thread.
Me on Cogmind. (I also made X@COM/XCOMRL, but that's been on hiatus for two years and it hasn't been discussed here in ages--not since the last thread, I believe... or maybe even the one before that!)

Also, the developer of Demon has shown up in the thread before... FerretDev?

I'll join forces with Unormal and madjackmcmad in offering up a key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

madjackmcmad posted:

pre:
Do not 
Under any circumstances 
Play Steam Marines

And now I know why I should have bought dungeonmans. Alas.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I wasn't gonna remove roguelikes but I was going to limit the long descriptions to the big ones and games you might steer a newcomer towards, and have links to the smaller ones. I can probably leave a sentence description or something though. It just feels like SA is getting away from the 5 post massive wall OP.

Though I liked the steam thread OP even if I never read it in its entirety.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Jordan7hm posted:

a list of your top 10 favorite roguelikes

Crypt of the NecroDancer - DDR your way out of a social life, this game is incredible. The music is top-notch, the tactical and strategic challenges and decision making are spot-on, and it doesn't take long to get a fix in. And perhaps the best recommendation I can make is that for a few minutes after a session of NecroDancer, I'll catch myself trying to do everything to a beat.

Invisible Inc. - Maybe it's closer to a strategy game than a RL, but all the levels are procedurally generated and run-ending death is easy to come by if you don't pay attention, so I want it here. Lots of approaches to take with your starting characters and programs has kept me entertained even when the levels can start to get a little same-y.

DoomRL - Good way to spend a coffee break despite sounding like an odd game to base a RL off of. Lots of challenges, both thrown at you by the game and self-imposed. DoomGuy is pleasantly diverse in how he can be built while staying mostly easy to understand. The sound work is awesome and can be critical to survival.

Renowned Explorers: International Society - Just the right amount of depth to keep me coming back. I love how you sometimes find yourself using subpar moves in combat to set a mood for bonuses, or an overall attitude so you can garner a specific response from the post-combat encounter. Having to unlock captains is annoying, but at least it's done by playing more of a game I want to play.

FTL: Faster Than Light - Fly around, get screwed, unscrew yourself, get upgrades, make it to the boss, cry. Good times!

Dungeon of the Endless - Tower defense that I haven't fully grokked yet, but I enjoy playing it every time.

Sproggiwood - Despite looking like a game for kids, the later challenges here will murder you if you don't pay attention and use your brains. Great intro to the genre.

Dungeonmans - The humor in Dmans is done well. Soundtrack's reminiscent of Final Fantasy Tactics in a very good way. Persistent advancement is a nice feeling. Oh, and the gameplay is pretty drat good!

Nuclear Throne - Used to be my go-to coffee break game. Mutations are fun, guns are even better. And goddamn does it feel satisfying to get your first loop.

Rogue Legacy - Action RL that has (for a while at least) the right balance between in-game difficulty and persistent advancement. It's nowhere near perfect, but I definitely enjoyed playing it.

Tales of Maj'Eyal or ToME 4- Just huge. Makes you feel like a badass while still being willing to throw unfair bullshit your way to remind you who's really boss. Also probably has a record-setting number of achievements on Steam.

Nostalgia mentions:

Azure Dreams on the PSX, which I played too much.

Nethack for being the first Rogue-like I played, despite not knowing or caring what a Rogue-like was at the same.

Honorable mention:

Darkest Dungeon, while not hitting all the notes I'd need to call it a RL, certainly is close to stimulating the same areas of my brain.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Irony.or.Death posted:

And now I know why I should have bought dungeonmans. Alas.

what's the deal with steam marines anyway? i think i got it bundled/free at some point cause it's in my steam library. I installed it and played it once and immediately ditched it as it seems like a lo-fi space hulk which is already kind of a lovely game.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I forgot about azure dreams that game was hard

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

andrew smash posted:

what's the deal with steam marines anyway? i think i got it bundled/free at some point cause it's in my steam library. I installed it and played it once and immediately ditched it as it seems like a lo-fi space hulk which is already kind of a lovely game.

I think Madjackmcmad and the Steam Marines dev have some sort of joking feud where they both tell everyone not to play the other's game.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
My favorite roguelite and the only one I care about : Risk of Rain

I wish there was more of it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I think Madjackmcmad and the Steam Marines dev have some sort of joking feud where they both tell everyone not to play the other's game.

yeah this.

sadly for humour dungeonmans is a great game and steam marines is not a great game, and out of context it doesn't really come off as a joke.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I used to really like Gearhead but it's pretty hard to get back into and super dead after half a dozen failed reboots. It's like Shadowrun and Battletech had a demented crackbaby with ADOM that collapsed under its own weight. If you ever wanted to be a cyborg kung fu master driving a homemade 7 armed 5 legged robot cobbled together from the remains of your enemies, it's the game for you.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 2, 2015

FerretDev
Aug 24, 2015

Kyzrati posted:

Also, the developer of Demon has shown up in the thread before... FerretDev?

Yeah, I'm on Demon. :)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

1.T.O.M.E. - Its not the best at any one thing but man its accessible and doesn't waste my time
2.Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon Its just dang fun,
3.Eitrain Odyessy 4 3ds its not procedural but the dungeons are well crafted, and death sure is hangin out
4.Don't Starve PC fun!
5.Invisible Inc. PC Again accessible
6. Risk of Rain PC When it isnt BUSY loving CRASHING OR making GBS threads ON MULTIPLAYER MODE
7.Dungeon of Endless PC just wish its multiplayer worked out better.
8. Binding Of issac
9. Shiren The Wanderer -classy game
10. Splelunky

HM. CKII the political roguelike

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 2, 2015

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Correct.

andrew smash posted:

space hulk which is already kind of a lovely game.
Space Hulk is the pinnacle* of board games. I will feed you your mother's testicles.

Jordan7hm posted:

yeah this.

sadly for humour dungeonmans is a great game and steam marines is not a great game, and out of context it doesn't really come off as a joke.
Hmmm. Probably one of the worst things you can do as an indie dev is poo poo on someone else's work. I had thought about that before adding the warning as a joke. Bums (the dev) saw it and was in hysterics, and any time someone asks me about it via Twitter I point them at Bums with a wink and a nod. I'd hate to be seen as a bully, but then again the joke is at the very end of the credits and no one sees those anyway.

Jordan7hm posted:

It just feels like SA is getting away from the 5 post massive wall OP.
If roguelikes are about anything, they're about staying firmly behind the times and doing things the Old Way. the Best Way.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Indeed, I vote for massive OP following the legacy of the bullied-to-death Steam thread's OP. I assume most people will only read the first few lines or MAYBE the highlighted names and then just never look at it ever again. For the rest it might be nice to include some of the less known games with just a very short, one sentence description.

Disclaimer: I think I'm actually one of the two people who unironically read the whole thing (the other one was the guy writing it).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The only multi-page OP I've read without skipping has been the Space Station 13 one because of all the stories :allears:

Also, here's my ten recommended in no particular order with my favorite deaths:

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup - Switch from worshipping the god of orcs and racism to the god of the Abyss and 50s TV shows, only to be visited shortly by a wrathful smite for all your health.

FTL - Be trapped in an endless case of life and death after a boarding party results in your sole surviving crew member being unable to leave the medbay to survive the vacuum of space filling your ship long enough to repair your oxygen systems.

Caves of Qud - Encounter your evil twin, who proceeds to throw a high quality freeze grenade at you, keeping you frozen long enough for Saad Amus the Sky-Bear to unthaw from his breached cryochamber and completely dismember you with a jetpack-fueled charge.

IVAN - Turn yourself into a dog in order to devour your rotting bone helmet for strength, only to be eviscerated by a goblin who turned into a werewolf as a kamakazi dwarf watches on.

DoomRL - Fire your BFG10k at an archvile across the room, only to have recoil push the entire five round burst into you face, obliterating your entire existence in a single volley.

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - Use an item to reroll your projectile into a rapid fire, short range, boomerang explosive shot. Proceed to lose a full health bar to a stationary boss in the last room you need to clear to recharge said item to escape your self-inflicted hell.

Nuclear Throne - Realize that holding down the fire button while using a gatling bazooka with a perk that improves your fire speed at low health is a terrible idea if you aren't immune to explosions.

Crypt of the Necromancer - Make it to the final boss of the game after completing all the previous zones in a row, only to fat finger the directional buttons and lay a bomb at your feet, blowing you up before you could get out of range.

Nethack - Be zapped by a wand of striking while standing on a drawbridge, causing it (and subsequently you) to explode instantly.

Spelunky - Steal the ankh from the black market and escape unscathed, only to enter the next level and immediately fall onto a pit of spikes one tile lower due to forgetting to jump. Then, after being ressurected, fall onto the same pit of spikes trying to dodge a monkey who stole and activated a sticky bomb from your satchel.

Edit:

andrew smash posted:

space hulk which is already kind of a lovely game.
May you forever roll doubles on overwatch, heretic :commissar:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 2, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

lordfrikk posted:

Disclaimer: I think I'm actually one of the two people who unironically read the whole thing (the other one was the guy writing it).

In that case, you're me.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

lordfrikk posted:

Indeed, I vote for massive OP following the legacy of the bullied-to-death Steam thread's OP. I assume most people will only read the first few lines or MAYBE the highlighted names and then just never look at it ever again. For the rest it might be nice to include some of the less known games with just a very short, one sentence description.

Massive OP is a nice resource. I just started getting into roguelikes, so having a huge list of "you might try ___" is lovely.

I'd post my list, but the only real roguelikes I've tried are Nethack and DoomRL, the rest being roguelites.

fake edit: I also booted up Cataclysm a few times before school started and I lost all interest in learning new games.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Combining DoomRL Arsenal with OBLIGE maps is the best first person roguelike

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not really in any specific order, but here's my favorite ten roguelikes

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: i've been playing this for nearly 10 years now i think? what the gently caress have i been doing with my life. only roguelike i've beaten
Dungeons of Dredmor: it's a bad game, don't play it. it's got some really neat comedy writing and some interesting mechanical ideas i haven't seen anywhere else, but the rest of the game more than makes up for those positives
Sil: one day i will survive past 100'
Brogue: probably the literal best roguelike i've ever played, shame i suck at it
Dungeonmans: better than dredmor*
DoomRL: i wish i was good at this game, it's really unique and does a good job of emulating the play of a completely different genre of game
Dungeon of the Endless: super pretty.
FTL: it's a roguelite, but i can't think of any more roguelikes to put on this list. every so often i get the itch to play this again. great music. i think it's sort of started a new subgenre? but it's the only decent one of its ilk i've heard of yet
Nuclear Throne: incredibly satisfying shoot-em roguelite action
Undertale: i'm surprised you're still reading this bullshit

*okay joking aside it's actually good

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

Honestly I was in the middle of writing a longer post about this, but I think Doom by itself, if you play it as first demo attempts with no deaths allowed, and never play a level twice, is really close to a roguelike, or at least roguelike-like.

Procedural generation was used because creating as much content to ensure players will always have a fresh experience would require tens of thousands of hours of work. But Doom has had 20 years of level creation. That content now exists. You don't even need Oblige.

This is why FPS roguelikes built around that type of gameplay will never click for me. I could always just play a new Doom wad instead.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Not really in any solid order of preference:

1. Crypt of the Necrodancer - a brilliantly innovative, rhythm-game take on roguelikes that combines very straightforward, easy-to-grasp gameplay with an extremely high skill ceiling and a variety of challenge modes (unlockable characters). The music owns like hell, rocking everyone to death with a facemelting lute solo as Melody owns like hell, screaming hysterically while you sprint through the game with Bolt owns like hell. Amazing, amazing roguelike. Best death: beat zone 4 with Monk, only to realize that I'd killed Deep Blues in such a way that I was surrounded by gold and had no bombs left.

2. DoomRL - The core gameplay is very faithful to the roguelike genre, but DoomRL goes further in a couple of ways. First, it handles shooting really well, in contrast to the finicky or unintuitive implementation in many games, and second, it has directional sound; you'll find yourself putting on headphones and listening carefully to discern where those Baron of Hell wails are coming from before you explore into an ambush you can't handle. Extremely tight, robust game design and a shocking degree of replayability, with a ton of ranks, achievements, and recipes to collect, as well as a variety of challenge game modes to unlock and complete. Some of them are drat near impossible. Best death: Barely cleared a brutal level full of Arch-Viles, Former Commandos, and a lot of other gnarly monsters, then got curious and pulled a couple of levers. The first one destroyed all the walls and the second one turned the floor into lava. Welp,

3. Caves of Qud - a frankly incredible fusion between Nethack/*band roguelike maximalism and newer design sensibilities that emphasize transparency, accessibility and fun. CoQ is a game in which you can play as a psychic tree-centaur who shoots eye lasers and randomly bursts into flames, befriend a talking bird who sells books and be known as a friend to all birdkind from then on, get your legs cut off by a giant chainsaw robot and crawl around until you find a healing thingy to regrow them, run out of food and eat your own severed legs for sustenance, and get beaten to death by gorillas when they see you wearing a cloak made from one of their friends, all on the same character. Best death: my amazingly powerful clone-summoning turbo psychic got hit by a cloneling, who created a clone clone-summoning turbo psychic who summoned clone clones who subsequently atomized me with a combined volley of psychic attacks.

4. Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - a unique roguelike that was born a sandbox zombie apocalypse game, wanted to be a hardcore survival sim when it grew up, and instead became a Mad Max zombie anime lost in Silent Hill. The early game is pretty solid post-apocalyptic scrounger survival fare, but as your survivor becomes more capable, Cataclysm eventually goes so nuts that it's almost impossible to describe. You can duct-tape a V12 engine to a bicycle and scream around at blistering speeds, tilting at zombies with a spear like you're in some kind of insane jousting tournament where the only prize is extremely high-velocity death, and then celebrate your victories by playing with a nuclear-powered vibrator and eating pot brownies until you vomit. Best death: I lit a bush on fire to cook some meat, but because it was the middle of summer, that little campfire quickly became a huge forest fire. Slowed by my bulky leg armour, I was unable to outrun the blaze and my already-damaged backpack was destroyed, causing several of my items to tumble into the flames. Among those items were six sticks of dynamite. They probably found bits of me the next county over.

5. Prospector - a slightly unpolished and often very unfair game in which you play as an rear end in a top hat capitalist space captain on an unexplored frontier. You can dogfight with pirates, prospect for mineral resources, study plants and animals for biodata, and ruthlessly exploit the local aliens. You can also dispense with mining equipment and simply have your ship blast mountains into rubble if you're feeling impatient. The potential for lucrative douchiness is really kind of amazing in this game, and all the goofy interactions and weird unexpected encounters make it a lot of fun to explore. You will die, though; it's a really, really, really unforgiving game and it has no qualms about chucking random encounters at you that can pretty much kill you outright. Best death: I almost didn't die. I owned an Earth-like planet and a ton of money besides, was flying an advanced ship armed with an alien disintegrator, had an elite awayteam, and was all set for retirement. But I wanted to buy a noble title, first, so I set out to make just a tiny bit more money before calling it a career. I had blackmailed a megacorp. They sent pirates after me. One of those pirates was some kind of legendary pirate king captaining a battleship armed with nuclear missiles. Guess I'll never see the sunrise on that earthlike planet of mine.

6. FTL - a really fun, well-polished, charming, and occasionally merciless roguelike that seeks to answer the question, "what would happen if The Blues Brothers was a sci-fi directed by George Lucas, and also a roguelike?" In it, you command a motley crew of space people who flee from an advancing enemy fleet and do violence to stuff before exploding, asphyxiating, burning, getting shot, getting irradiated, getting sublimated into another reality, and otherwise ceasing to live in a variety of exotic ways. Occasionally frustrating, but very enjoyable and quite replayable. Best death: I blew up the Rebel flagship's second phase, forgetting that I had teleported my remaining crew members over to disable its guns.

7. Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup - kinda long and trudgy in parts, but overall very tightly designed and consistently challenging. DCSS makes probably the most honest effort of any game I've seen to boil the roguelike genre down to its essence and refine that experience, without introducing anything radically new (or refusing to question the necessity of long-standing sacred cows). The story is "there's a thing you want, get the thing" and everything after that is tactics and strategy. And a little bit of grinding, unfortunately, but the devs are getting better about that as time goes on. Best death: I was playing as a Deep Elf Necromancer with no negative energy resistance. I cast Bolt of Draining at Donald. He blocked it with his shield of reflection.

8. ToME4 - remember how I said DCSS is kind of grindy and trudgy in some parts? ToME4 makes its pacing look like a rocket-car death race down a vertical cliff face. This game is LONG, and huge parts of it are just mindlessly shredding mobs of relatively unthreatening enemies. Still, the class design is amazing, the graphics and music are nice, the setting and lore are really interesting, and the more challenging moments are very tense, tactical, and fun. If you don't mind switching your brain off and slogging through content you've seen before, it's got a ton of variety in character builds and can be an enjoyable way to waste way too many hours of your life. Best death: My Corruptor cast a horrifyingly powerful, critical Soul Rot at point-blank range. Her target, some wimpy rogue of a much lower level, got a chance to act before the projectile left her tile. He used the rogue ability that makes the attacker and the target switch places, and my Corruptor immediately ate her own critical Soul Rot for an amount of damage roughly equal to double her maximum health.

9. Dwarf Fortress - while Fortress mode isn't really a roguelike in any sense apart from the procedural generation and the lack of save game reversion, Adventure mode is roguelike as hell and can produce some incredible stories. It's probably the best procedural death-metal violence simulator I've ever seen; you can grab a dude's teeth, suplex him, bite all his fingers off while he lies stunned, chop his leg off with his own axe, and beat him about the head with his own leg until he dies of blood loss. As of the latest update, you can also sing, dance, play music (on procedurally-generated instruments), tell stories, write your own material, and argue with people. Like, there's actually a system for getting into arguments with people and trying to change their minds about things, or for becoming famous for your elaborate interpretive dance routines. You can even make people angry enough via your arguing and bad dancing that they murder you in a luridly violent fashion! Best death: I was on a mountain and a giant eagle attacked me, causing massive, obviously soon-to-be-fatal bleeding. When it flew to a Z-level below me, I leaped from the mountain's face and fell on it, stunning it. The two of us plunged a great distance to the ground, landing with such force that we exploded into freaking pieces on impact. METAL.

10. IVAN - Totally, homicidally bonkers in the most entertaining way. You can get legs made of paper to go super fast and pray to the god of crafting until he's angry so that he turns the greatsword you're wielding into banana flesh so you have something to eat so you don't starve after repeatedly vomiting on a wall to melt through it, but then you die because you pray to the god of justice to protect you by shooting fire at the dominatrix that just came around the corner but he's mad at you for barfing so much and he shoots fire at you instead and your paper legs burn up and the dominatrix whips you to death. This is only moderately silly and contrived as far as IVAN deaths go. Best death: the most characteristically IVAN deaths, if not the most comedically Rube Goldberg-esque, will always be "got hit by a fireball/land mine/kamikaze dwarf explosion, the teleport wand in my pack broke, and my head/groin was teleported away from my body," and "I hit a thing with a thunder hammer and somehow fatally electrocuted my own dick with lightning ricochets." And, of course, there's always "ate a bunch of bananas, slipped on a pile of banana peels, and broke my everything."

There are a ton more I could ramble about, but I'm making the conscious decision to keep it to ten. Otherwise I'll be here all day :v:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

SilverMike posted:

Nuclear Throne - Used to be my go-to coffee break game. Mutations are fun, guns are even better. And goddamn does it feel satisfying to get your first loop.

I tried playing this, but due to what I assume is a bug, I a) can't shoot while moving (I have to stop for as much as a second first) but b) shoot automatically whenever I start moving. I can't figure out how to fix this. Is there, like, a resource?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

I tried playing this, but due to what I assume is a bug, I a) can't shoot while moving (I have to stop for as much as a second first) but b) shoot automatically whenever I start moving. I can't figure out how to fix this. Is there, like, a resource?

That's weird. Maybe your control bindings are screwed up? Are you using a controller or keyboard+mouse? IMO it's the kind of game where you really want keyboard+mouse if possible, for better precision when aiming.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Prism posted:

I think I've seen other people with this bug. From what I read the fix is to bind "shoot" to something other than M1; M1 should still fire. :iiam:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
This top 10 thing was a cool idea if only for the fact that I now have a bunch of games to play.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Floodkiller posted:

DoomRL - Fire your BFG10k at an archvile across the room, only to have recoil push the entire five round burst into you face, obliterating your entire existence in a single volley.

Wait, what happened here? I've never fired a BFG10k, but...what?

dis astranagant posted:

I should try that sometime. I've done some fiddling around with DoomRL Arsenal, but combined it with DoomRPG in the hopes of ending up with something reminiscent of War of Attrition for Duke3d, and instead ended up with something extremely janky and more than a little unbalanced. :(

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, DoomRPG is impressive but way too fiddly for me.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, what happened here? I've never fired a BFG10k, but...what?
Enjoy! I just rewatched it myself and it's even funnier to me now thanks to time healing all (non-BFG10K related) wounds.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's weird. Maybe your control bindings are screwed up? Are you using a controller or keyboard+mouse? IMO it's the kind of game where you really want keyboard+mouse if possible, for better precision when aiming.

Keyboard and mouse.

megane posted:

I think I've seen other people with this bug. From what I read the fix is to bind "shoot" to something other than M1; M1 should still fire. :iiam:

That fixed it though. Thanks!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Floodkiller posted:

Enjoy! I just rewatched it myself and it's even funnier to me now thanks to time healing all (non-BFG10K related) wounds.

That was really amusing, the random scatter screwed you badly. Also, nice items, so jealous of that nanomachined plasma rifle.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Floodkiller posted:

hahaha oh man :D ah that's awful! Man DoomRL owns.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I kinda wish I could make any progress in DoomRL without Intuition

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Highblood posted:

I kinda wish I could make any progress in DoomRL without Intuition

Try out an Ammochain Marine, that's how I got my first victory. An effectively unlimited ammo plasma rifle really makes things easier.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Floodkiller posted:

Try out an Ammochain Marine, that's how I got my first victory. An effectively unlimited ammo plasma rifle really makes things easier.
I miss when Ammochain was literally unlimited.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

drat you all. I've just gone in the space of one week from basically only ever playing crawl to having ten RLs installed and not really knowing which one to play next. I think I'll play some more crawl :)

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Unimpressed posted:

drat you all. I've just gone in the space of one week from basically only ever playing crawl to having ten RLs installed and not really knowing which one to play next. I think I'll play some more crawl :)

Playing some more crawl is usually a good decision.

I've still been obsessed with towerclimb recently, sad to not see it mentioned in any top 10s. I've reached the final boss a couple times now, he bested me twice but his day is coming soon now.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah reading those lists made me want to try a lot of games, I guess I can't avoid cataclysm dda any longer.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I usually don't do these things but the genre being what it is, hopefully this helps someone find a new game:
1. Brogue - the perfect amount of depth without any unnecessary complexity, brogue is probably my favorite roguelike. Because items are your build, every game is completely different, but you still have immense control over how you want to build by how you use your enchantment scrolls. Complete exposure to every bit of information, down to how many hits you can take from enemies before dying lets you make informed choices and almost completely eliminates that feeling of a bullshit death
2. Dungeon Crawl - basically the Platonic ideal of a roguelike
3. Invisible Inc - I think I've beat this like 6 times on expert plus? I haven't played the DLC yet but it's proof positive that if you get extremely talented devs even the weirdest concepts (turn-based stealth) can turn out amazing
4. ToME4 - a giant amazing slog that I never want to ascend again after beating, even though I did twice more because it's too cool for skool. Having, at minimum, a dozen options when you're in panic mode really makes the game feel tactical. Also gently caress consumables
5. Caves of Qud - my new go-to sandbox roguelike, and the game I'm most excited about the development of. Even though I'm on my AAA game stint right now, I still have CoQ updates on my feed
6. Risk of Rain - this game is pretty great, but gets much better when you get that mutator that lets you pick from a list of same-rarity items when they drop, adding dozens of more hours to the game by letting you make your own builds. You can show off your weird hopping contact damage builds in co-op too
7. Hoplite - extremely elegant mobile game, it's like hexagonal chess where the moves you don't make are just as important as the ones you do. Also Leonidas-ing bombers into lava
8. Dungeonmans - replaces Dredmor for me as my humor roguelike by also being highly modern in design decisions (sorry dreddevs, I'm still excited for Clockwork!)
9. Renowned Explorers - oozes so much personality and uniqueness and also the only game in recent memory where I cause damage by pointing at wolves with a fish-filled speech bubble over my head
10. Nuclear Throne - the coffeebreakest roguelike that ever rogueliked. Only lower than Risk of Rain because it doesn't have co-op

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
The only roguelike I really like that others haven't already mentioned is 868-HACK, which is a tiny gem of a game. I love it so much. It and Hoplite...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

This might be the wrong place to ask, but do you guys have any recommendations for mid-range laptops with numpads? Super low spec games are pretty much the only thing my current laptop can play but it's a pain in the rear end to play roguelikes without a numpad.