Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Shani throwing up in the rowboat was pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I got into a witcher tizzy on youtube and was watching a bunch of trailers and I NOTICED, that at around 1:30 of this trailer, that it seems originally Geralt was going to do the Eskill fight at Kaer Morhen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KczsbBpX1so

So the next time you're in a bar and some loudmouth thinks he knows more obscure witcher 3: the wild hunt facts than you, drop this on him.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Supreme Allah posted:

I got into a witcher tizzy on youtube and was watching a bunch of trailers and I NOTICED, that at around 1:30 of this trailer, that it seems originally Geralt was going to do the Eskill fight at Kaer Morhen

So the next time you're in a bar and some loudmouth thinks he knows more obscure witcher 3: the wild hunt facts than you, drop this on him.

They really made Yen a lot hotter for the release version than she was in this trailer/the opening rendered cutscene.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She basically went from not-Kate Beckinsale to more or less as described in the books. Apparently it took like 5 revisions of her facial structure to get there. Ciri changed a couple of times too but Yennefer was finalized much later. Oddly, Triss actually looks significantly worse than the first trailers.

Geralt comparatively has hardly changed at all from the first shots..

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Supreme Allah posted:

I don't think it was that they originally planned to have Geralt do that part. They just had the animation ready and decided to use Geralt's model with it instead for marketing reasons.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Crappy Jack posted:

Well, on PC, there's some fancy Nvidia hair graphics you can turn down, which you should probably do anyway because it's apparently a massive resource hog. If you've already done that, though, Geralt does have some naturally flowy locks, you might consider using that free haircut DLC and find a new hairstyle that's a little less Fabio.

It's off, and the "windy" effect in the hair (or anything that flows, like some clothing or bushes or trees) is still in full force. Even inside, which looks ridiculous.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Furism posted:

It's off, and the "windy" effect in the hair (or anything that flows, like some clothing or bushes or trees) is still in full force. Even inside, which looks ridiculous.

Ridiculously awesome you mean. I like to think there is someone off camera with a giant fan always blowing it on Geralt.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Furism posted:

Nah, I'm playing on PS4 and the wind is just always on. It's kind of neat because everything from hair to clothing blows in the same direction but I like to believe witchers constantly use a low powered aard to blow their hair about.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
How do I make money in this game? I'm level 4, just found the Blood Baron's daughter and will now start looking for his wife but I have like 300 orens due to the repair costs. Does it take off at some point so I can afford that Temerian Armor set?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I had tens of thousands of gold pieces by the end of the game just by playing normally. the early game is stingy about money but you'll soon be swimming in it

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Kill some bandits, sell them to the armorer in the Novigrad market square or, like, any other armorer/blacksmith. You get more money when you sell the loot to appropriate merchants.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Well, poo poo. I have 3 cards left to get the Collect 'Em All achievement, and all of them are merchant drops. However, I didn't keep a list of who I already played against and I mostly can't tell when I initiate dialogue because the greyed option is barely different from the white ones. :suicide:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

Well, poo poo. I have 3 cards left to get the Collect 'Em All achievement, and all of them are merchant drops. However, I didn't keep a list of who I already played against and I mostly can't tell when I initiate dialogue because the greyed option is barely different from the white ones. :suicide:

If it's just the randomized cards you get from playing merchants, there are way more merchants than cards so you don't need to hunt down specific ones you forgot to play. In that case I'd hop around to the towns in Skellige there are a ton of merchants there.

If they're cards sold by vendors, there's a couple merchants who are being held captive by bandits you'll need to free, they return home and then will offer the cards on sale.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Those cards are the ones they drop when you win against them. I have two cards left now and of course when I miraculously find a guy who I never played he drops my 94233 Elven Skirmisher instead of what I need.

I'm currently hoping across the whole world trying to find them and it's a bit of a pain, especially with the loading times.

Edit: quest done, suck it bitches!

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 2, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Combat against multiple enemies is super clunky in this game.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

You basically have to be constantly dodging in order to stay at the skirts of the battle where you can control it much easier, especially with Yrden + alt Yrden.

Furism posted:

How do I make money in this game? I'm level 4, just found the Blood Baron's daughter and will now start looking for his wife but I have like 300 orens due to the repair costs. Does it take off at some point so I can afford that Temerian Armor set?

Don't bother hoarding poo poo, sell almost everything you loot. Try to sell armors to armorers, weapons to blacksmiths, etc. Also, you will quickly realize that the only worthy equipment are Witcher things that you craft, so almost no point in buying weapons/armors or crafting other types.

Also to both you and Furid, speaking as someone who started playing this like 20 days ago, the early game is not great because you seem awfully weak and constantly strapped for cash. But as you progress a little, things get much better and fun. Maybe even too easy, depending on your difficulty level.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 2, 2015

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

RBA Starblade posted:

Never lock on either (other than 1v1s). On ps4 it's very sticky; pointing towards enemy you want to attack is the better option. It also lets you have more control over your side dashes. Other than that, if you do find yourself surrounded, pinballing between enemies like in Too Human might allow you to roll through an opening out while in blockstun. Other than that, take a few bites then back off the counterattack (you'll find in a lot of cases like drowners and hags this will actually allow you to be more offensive as the AI won't backdash, allowing you to counter sooner.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/3v03jm/marcin_momot_on_twitter_teasing_changes_and_stuff/cxk7vfz

No Iorveth in the game ever, boycott CDPR

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

gently caress this game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Kind of weird considering they originally planned for him to be in it.

http://i.imgur.com/aXs45tZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/dGN7Stc.jpg

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

The Sharmat posted:

Kind of weird considering they originally planned for him to be in it.

http://i.imgur.com/aXs45tZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/dGN7Stc.jpg

It's a fake!

They're trying to lower our expectations so they can blow them out of the water. Clever girl.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They did basically do that with the NG+ feature but I dunno.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I gotta concede one thing though, it must take a lot of talent to make a game this loving good and have a looting mechanic so atrociously bad that half the challenge of the game on a console is being able to open containers/examine stuff.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

you guys getting all worked up over a filthy nonhuman

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Yeah, he was in the base game but got cut for reasons. He just never made sense for the expansions or DLC for other reasons. His previous role in the game was in a quest chain that eventually became the basis for Hearts of Stone, but between the initial implementation (for W3) and the full expansion (HoS) it was totally rewritten, to the point that you wouldn't recognize the quest at all. It was a story about the Catriona plague, Mr. Mirror, and some Nilfgaardian researchers. Maybe after we're all done with the game I can drop some more details, the cut stuff with Iorveth was mostly my stuff, so it makes me sad we never got to use him.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
That's sad news. :(

Iorveth owned in W2 and I've never actually been able to bring myself to do Roche's path on replay.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
PS Asia gave us some cool awards, but what I wanted to post was the dope-rear end shirt our boss is wearing:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I want a refund.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Never lock on either (other than 1v1s). On ps4 it's very sticky; pointing towards enemy you want to attack is the better option. It also lets you have more control over your side dashes. Other than that, if you do find yourself surrounded, pinballing between enemies like in Too Human might allow you to roll through an opening out while in blockstun. Other than that, take a few bites then back off the counterattack (you'll find in a lot of cases like drowners and hags this will actually allow you to be more offensive as the AI won't backdash, allowing you to counter sooner.

quote:

You basically have to be constantly dodging in order to stay at the skirts of the battle where you can control it much easier, especially with Yrden + alt Yrden.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll break lock and poke and dodge. What do you mean by alt Yrden though? Do the signs have alternate casts you can do?

Also speaking of drowners it shouldn't be this hard to get a single brain. I keep getting all the other body parts! :argh:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll break lock and poke and dodge. What do you mean by alt Yrden though? Do the signs have alternate casts you can do?

All the signs have alternate modes that can be unlocked with skill points.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah, he was in the base game but got cut for reasons. He just never made sense for the expansions or DLC for other reasons.

Talking about making sense for the expansions, I have been wondering about the rationale for including the merchants and other characters from the never--before-mentioned India/Arabia analogue Ofieri in the expansion. In-story, it makes little sense that they would hang out in a small village rather than Novigrad, and it does not seem that they are truly integral to the plot (the frog prince could be from elsewhere, for instance). Is their appearance in HoS meant to introduce them before having them in a greater role in Blood and Wine or a future game?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They were probably added because of the criticizm that Witcher 3 only has white people in it. Ofir is also mentioned briefly in the books.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

PS Asia gave us some cool awards, but what I wanted to post was the dope-rear end shirt our boss is wearing:

Samurai Geralt needs to be a dlc costume please.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Woozy posted:

Samurai Geralt needs to be a dlc costume please.

Witcher 4: Onimusha

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Also speaking of drowners it shouldn't be this hard to get a single brain. I keep getting all the other body parts! :argh:

As mentioned you can spec into alternative modes for all the signs, these are some of the best uses of your ability points/slots imo because they can add a lot of utility. Don't forget to equip them then you just hold the button for your sign down and it'll use the alternate instead of normal (quick tap for normal).

Aard does stagger/knockdown in about a 90deg cone in front of Geralt, alternate Aard fires in a radius (circle) around Geralt
Igni does burning damage in a 90deg cone in front of Geralt, alt-Igni is a channeled flamethrower effect
Quen alternate is a channeled bubble which stops all incoming damage, draining stamina (and healing you) instead
Yrden normal mode is the slow zone, alternate is a lightning turret that does okay damage but more importantly staggers enemies it hits
Axii alternate charms instead of stuns

Palpek posted:

They were probably added because of the criticizm that Witcher 3 only has white people in it. Ofir is also mentioned briefly in the books.

I never really got the criticism of the W3 universe lacking characters of darker skin color. You have elves, dwarves, and halflings instead. They live in ghettos, are treated as sub-human, killed in witch-hunts and pogroms. Pretty much fantasy medieval Jews and Roma/Gypsies.

The Witcher universe has systemic racism and lots of violence and terrible poo poo happening to the non-humans. The persecuted races just happen to be distinguished physically by pointy ears and height and not by skin color.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

I never really got the criticism of the W3 universe lacking characters of darker skin color. You have elves, dwarves, and halflings instead. They live in ghettos, are treated as sub-human, killed in witch-hunts and pogroms. Pretty much fantasy medieval Jews and Roma/Gypsies.

The Witcher universe has systemic racism and lots of violence and terrible poo poo happening to the non-humans. The persecuted races just happen to be distinguished physically by pointy ears and height and not by skin color.

That's one of my favorite parts of The Witcher world. It's a total departure from the typical fantasy portrayal of elves and dwarves. Elves aren't mythic silvan demi-gods, they're persecuted and turn to terrorism.

I loved the master armorer quest where you find out that Fergus, the dwarf smith, is actually incompetent and it's the human woman who is the master smith. It's kind of hinted at when you first go to Crow's Perch that you're not getting the whole story, and that payoff is great.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

my bony fealty posted:

Elves aren't mythic silvan demi-gods

Well, some are. Mostly those just happen to also be super-racist sociopaths from another dimension.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

Well, presumably there is a role for people of color in the Witcher universe that isn't just a crude allegory for slavery--it could just be true for instance that there are dark-skinned peasants and nobles and wizards and whatever else. This is part of larger, on-going shitstorm about SF/Fantasy that has to do with the lack of people of color in the genre. The argument generally goes "in a world with dragons and magic and poo poo there isn't really any good reason that everyone needs to be white because that isn't any more of a departure from actual mythology and history than Gandalf and hobbits are."

It's an argument with which I generally sympathize but in the case of TW3 it's an obnoxious misfire. There's no good reason that Faerun can't have people of color but TW is a story about Poland, about Polish people, and about various historical circumstances that shaped Polish culture and the Polish authors perspective. Complaining that the game world doesn't accurately reflect the racial composition of modern American society is just idle bitching.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I thought it was weird how everyone is white and then there's that random quest with a black succubus. So... there either has to be black people in the world or that is going to be one ineffective succubus, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Woozy posted:

It's an argument with which I generally sympathize but in the case of TW3 it's an obnoxious misfire. There's no good reason that Faerun can't have people of color but TW is a story about Poland, about Polish people, and about various historical circumstances that shaped Polish culture and the Polish authors perspective. Complaining that the game world doesn't accurately reflect the racial composition of modern American society is just idle bitching.

I should *really* not participate in this discussion, but I will point out that the idea that middle-ages europe was a place of homogeneous skintones is actually a pretty modern creation, a creation that exists, at least partially, because of fictional depictions. Poland was once one of the most metropolitan places in Europe. Additionally, like much of eastern Europe, the place was entirely conquered for a pretty decent chunk of history by the Mongols- and those Mongol populations didn't vanish overnight when the empire receded, but became mixed into the local populations.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 3, 2015