Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What ever happened to Tom Nguyen? I liked his inks on Mahnke's pencils. Heck, I liked the one time I saw his own pencil work. Is he still in the industry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Teenage Fansub posted:

Having your favorite comics on the knife's edge of cancellation is an exciting way to live!

Wasn't this the situation in the late 90's with near-bankrupt Marvel, right before it came back and became the juggernaut it is now?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They weren't really on the knife's edge, most of them got canceled outright despite extremely healthy sales. One particularly egregious example was Ghost Rider not being allowed to publish its final issue that wrapped everything up, despite selling fine, because it wasn't selling SO fine that the minimum amount of profit was a 100% guarantee. Marvel couldn't risk the possibility of a bad month.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Most of Marvel's seminal creators were old-ish men, and some of them were John Byrne and Frank Miller, who have serious hangups that cannot be blamed on their age.

"Sad list, isn't it? Further proof of what I have always said: too many (male) writers seem able to think of only two things to do with female characters -- rape 'em or knock 'em up. The dead ones might be the lucky ones. At least I made Wonder Woman MORE powerful. That's one ... " --J. Byrne

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I'm betting Mark Millar's response of "at least the sexual aspects of the violence aren't exploitative" was written before he literally "booby trapped" a minor character's vagina after impregnating her with her brother's sperm.

I think it should read "[...rape is a rare thing in comics] and that's something I'll try my best to turn around"

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

RandallODim posted:

Also, Mark Waid's response is, as might be expected, great.

Mark Waid posted:

In fact, one of the only reasons I still hang on to FLASH is because I know beyond any shadow of a doubt that the moment I walk, the next guy's gonna drop a safe on Linda Park's head before my last voucher's been paid.
Did this happen?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cyphoderus posted:

Did this happen?

Not really. She did get pregnant and then lost the kids, however they got better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyphoderus posted:

Did this happen?

It didn't happen instantly but guess who doesn't exist anymore?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It didn't happen instantly but guess who doesn't exist anymore?

Hey neither does Wally West!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wally does exist, he's just a disgruntled urban youth with no speed powers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TwoPair posted:

We do not speak of that.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Whaaaa? Please explain.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Unmature posted:

Whaaaa? Please explain.

Iris is black so Wally is black and his father left so he fell in with a bad crowd. They seem to have aborted the whole speedster and sidekick thing as a super fast running ex-con black guy who needs a white father figure to put him on the right path is like racism bingo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

Iris is black so Wally is black and his father left so he fell in with a bad crowd. They seem to have aborted the whole speedster and sidekick thing as a super fast running ex-con black guy who needs a white father figure to put him on the right path is like racism bingo.

I thought Iris was only black in the TV show (where Wally's her long-lost little brother)? I read a bunch of the Manapul Flash and she was definitely a white chick in that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah comic Iris is white and her cousin Wally is black.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Sorry, that was a brain fart confusing the show and the book.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wally being black seems like it would've been whatever and maybe even a positive thing for DC's ever-ailing diversity, but making all these other changes to the character is... well, why even use the name at that point?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Wally is black" is fine, it's just like the decided "Wally is black" must go hand-in-hand with both making a completely new character and making that character a giant checklist of stereotypes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ImpAtom posted:

"Wally is black" is fine, it's just like the decided "Wally is black" must go hand-in-hand with both making a completely new character and making that character a giant checklist of stereotypes.

"You want to make Wally West black? Okay, that's fine. What gang is he in?" --An editor at DC, probably

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Miles Morales the only black character who's never been arrested or in the military? (And even he got pseudo drafted in that Ultimates crossover no one actually read)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Jon Stewart used to be an architect so give Miles time.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

Is Miles Morales the only black character who's never been arrested or in the military? (And even he got pseudo drafted in that Ultimates crossover no one actually read)

Lunella Lafayette (Moon Girl) hasn't been arrested or drafted yet. But it's only #1 and she's 12, so plenty of time. Monica Rambeau too was neither I think. Tanya Spears (new Power Girl), if she still exists. Selah Burke (Sun Girl). Misty Knight at least was never in the military. But then the question is if black women fall into the same stereotype or if it is only black men (I thought I could bring up Blue Marvel as counterpoint, but he was of course a Marine). Eden Fesi (Manifold), but he's not African-American. Same with Black Panther (who surely was arrested here and there over the last 50 years of history).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Decius posted:

Lunella Lafayette (Moon Girl) hasn't been arrested or drafted yet. But it's only #1 and she's 12, so plenty of time. Monica Rambeau too was neither I think. Tanya Spears (new Power Girl), if she still exists. Selah Burke (Sun Girl). Misty Knight at least was never in the military. But then the question is if black women fall into the same stereotype or if it is only black men (I thought I could bring up Blue Marvel as counterpoint, but he was of course a Marine). Eden Fesi (Manifold), but he's not African-American. Same with Black Panther (who surely was arrested here and there over the last 50 years of history).

Prodigy? Synch, Alex from the Runaways... of course, these are both also minors. I'm sort of stumped coming up with any adult black men who don't have either of those things in their backstory. I want to say Night Thrasher but that might just be because I'm too ignorant about Night Thrasher to know what's happened in his backstory. Mr. Terrific?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Both Monica Rambeau and Misty Knight were cops. Considering that the characters were created before the US military allowed women into combat-oriented roles, I'd argue that cop or enlisted nurse were about as close as you could get to making them soldiers (or sailors, etc.).

e: Blade? Does he have incarceration of the military in his backstory?

e2: J. J. Thunder? Probably a number of Milestone heroes. Here's a bonus round: Black characters who grew up with two non-abusive parents alive and present in their lives.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 3, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Cop is definitely a "one of the good ones" card in fiction. Nurse is one too. Doctor isn't because it means they are uppity and make too much money.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SirDan3k posted:

Cop is definitely a "one of the good ones" card in fiction. Nurse is one too. Doctor isn't because it means they are uppity and make too much money.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Today I learned brassiere is not spelled brazier.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think Mr. Terrific falls into a lot of black stereotypes. With someone like T'Challa you get the feeling the writers made him a super-genius with infinite resources and Wakanda the most advanced nation on Earth to sort of... compensate their being African. The same could be happening to Michael Holt being black and the third smartest dude on the planet with 14 PhDs, but I don't know, I don't get the overcompensating vibe from him. I think people do a good job as portraying him as loving smart "and" black, instead of "but".

One thing that always bummed me is Storm not being allowed to be African. She's totally a Kenyan weather goddess! Except she's actually from Harlem. Goddamn it, Claremont, you were doing so well in breaking away from the "every person who saves the universe is American" problem :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerry Cotton posted:

Today I learned brassiere is not spelled brazier.

Doctor Strange keeps his sanctum lit with a chandelier festooned with burning bras. Dude's a swinger.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

With someone like T'Challa you get the feeling the writers made him a super-genius with infinite resources and Wakanda the most advanced nation on Earth to sort of... compensate their being African.

I read Wakanda as intentionally a fictionalization of the Ethiopian Empire, with the religious/cultural riches pulp-fictioned into super-technology and super-resources (vibranium, mostly), and the isolationist self-sufficiency turned up so high that even the Ethiopic Church and Solomonic dynasty get swapped for a native-born religion which confers legitimacy to the ruler. (And the Lion of Judah motif is swapped for a panther.)

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Cyphoderus posted:

I don't think Mr. Terrific falls into a lot of black stereotypes. With someone like T'Challa you get the feeling the writers made him a super-genius with infinite resources and Wakanda the most advanced nation on Earth to sort of... compensate their being African.

I always read Wakanda as a kind of subversive dig at British imperialism and the kind of Euro-centric view of history and the word "Civilization". Wakanda flourished because it was isolated and strong during the British and Euro countries "colonizing" Africa and "Taming the savages." By any historical context most African nations had functional, yet different, society than Euro nations and were flourishing but imperialism and colonization created an unlevel playing field creating poverty and host of other problems ("inter-tribe" fighting, foreign entities controlling resources, etc etc) that would not have existed had say no Euro nation had colonized them, like if a whole nation hid from the white devils, like Wakanda.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Squizzle posted:

Both Monica Rambeau and Misty Knight were cops. Considering that the characters were created before the US military allowed women into combat-oriented roles, I'd argue that cop or enlisted nurse were about as close as you could get to making them soldiers (or sailors, etc.).

e: Blade? Does he have incarceration of the military in his backstory?

e2: J. J. Thunder? Probably a number of Milestone heroes. Here's a bonus round: Black characters who grew up with two non-abusive parents alive and present in their lives.

Miles Morales again, of course his mom dies relatively early in his comic, but that's pretty common for any character that's a minor.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

trashbuilder posted:

I always read Wakanda as a kind of subversive dig at British imperialism and the kind of Euro-centric view of history and the word "Civilization". Wakanda flourished because it was isolated and strong during the British and Euro countries "colonizing" Africa and "Taming the savages." By any historical context most African nations had functional, yet different, society than Euro nations and were flourishing but imperialism and colonization created an unlevel playing field creating poverty and host of other problems ("inter-tribe" fighting, foreign entities controlling resources, etc etc) that would not have existed had say no Euro nation had colonized them, like if a whole nation hid from the white devils, like Wakanda.

Ethiopia remained independent throughout the "scramble for Africa"! :mil101:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

Ethiopia remained independent throughout the "scramble for Africa"! :mil101:

Then the Italians had to come and gently caress that up later on.

Also, I don't think Maggott was in the army or arrested, but seriously, gently caress Maggott.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Skwirl posted:

Miles Morales again, of course his mom dies relatively early in his comic, but that's pretty common for any character that's a minor.

And his dad infiltrated a gang for Nick Fury.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

trashbuilder posted:

I love Wakanda to death, but I really, really doubt this kind of thinking went into its creation. We're talking about 1966 here, Fantastic Four #52. Early FF thrived on character moments and Kirby's art; the Marvel Universe itself at the time (especially the part that interacted with the FF) was of secondary importance, hardly more than a patchwork collection of pulp action ideas and springboards. I really think Wakanda was just Lee and Kirby getting a kick out of surprising their characters and readers with the contrast between half-naked, tribal-dancing people and ultra technology.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a defined point where Wakanda became the ultra-advanced and undefeatable nation they are now? Was it always like that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As I've said before, Wakanda is like if we found an ultra advanced technology nation of American Indians who dressed in magic metal breechclouts and used laser bow and arrows.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Is there a defined point where Wakanda became the ultra-advanced and undefeatable nation they are now? Was it always like that?

It was always ultra-advanced; its very first appearance is when an emissary of T'Challa comes to the Baxter Building to invite the FF there. After they say yes, the guy contacts Wakanda with what is basically a video cellphone, which makes even Reed Richards dumbfounded.

They're also pictured as well armed and prepared to fight from the get-go by repelling Ulysses Klaw's invasions. I think there's a scene in that first arc where T'Challa or Reed implies to an American envoy that Wakanda would be a military superpower if it bothered to be, but I'm not sure. Nope, I was thinking of something else. I don't know when being a military superpower became an important part of Wakanda's identity.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cyphoderus posted:

. I don't know when being a military superpower became an important part of Wakanda's identity.

This is what I was after, when exactly did this happen is what I want to narrow down. Other than Priest and Hickman few writers have ever done it justice.