Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Gort posted:

I liked the

"I converted all my divisions to motorised ones!"

"What, all of them?!"

"Yeah, they'll be ready by the turn of the century"

exchange.

Guess he did the AI-Hitler Mistake that happened when I helped out on HOI AI.
We would let the game run over night then check on it. Well Hitler decided it was a really cool idea to replace Infantry in his Infantry divisions with Super Heavy Tanks and Tank Destroyers....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
So, is PDX still shutting down mods that use Github as a way to collaborate and provide frequently updated "dev" versions to users? Because that is super counterproductive if your goal is to foster free and creative modding of your product, and only makes sense if you want to create a walled mod garden. Which is preposterous in this day and age.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is a serious matter of Russian political history, not space fantasies.

an old man living in the middle of nowhere in mexico leading a coup in the USSR is as realistic as the alien invasion mod

by the way, will we get alien portraits too?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

We would let the game run over night then check on it. Well Hitler decided it was a really cool idea to replace Infantry in his Infantry divisions with Super Heavy Tanks and Tank Destroyers....

In all fairness, "throw in an impractical superweapon" should be the tie-breaker for every decision that Hitler AI makes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Groogy posted:

Is your Hitler AI literally a tiny Hitler homunculus? I don't see how else you could achieve such accuracy in programming his personality.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Groogy posted:

That sounds exactly like what Hitler would do. Good job with the AI, Paradox.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Groogy posted:

:homebrew:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Quorum posted:

So, is PDX still shutting down mods that use Github as a way to collaborate and provide frequently updated "dev" versions to users? Because that is super counterproductive if your goal is to foster free and creative modding of your product, and only makes sense if you want to create a walled mod garden. Which is preposterous in this day and age.

The walled mod garden is the DRM portion of their tiny-in-filesize games, so.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Gamerofthegame posted:

The walled mod garden is the DRM portion of their tiny-in-filesize games, so.

And, like most DRM, it's better at choking the convenience of legitimate users than it is at shutting down pirates.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The only upside to this whole retarded shitstorm is watching the When the World Stopped Making Sense team panic over the fact that people talk about their mod outside of the forum and keep thinking they'll get in trouble.

Yeah, that's the kind of environment Pdox enjoys apparently.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
It also doesn't work going by the absolutely massive thread I'm looking at elsewhere full of Cities Skylines mods being requested and handed out.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

HOI4 looks super good and judging by the video it's also going to be the first Paradox game in like 12 years where I actually need to read a tutorial. :smith:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Dibujante posted:

In all fairness, "throw in an impractical superweapon" should be the tie-breaker for every decision that Hitler AI makes.

Jazerus posted:

Is your Hitler AI literally a tiny Hitler homunculus? I don't see how else you could achieve such accuracy in programming his personality.

Little Abigail posted:

That sounds exactly like what Hitler would do. Good job with the AI, Paradox.

Sorry but we decided we actually want to make Hitler a challenge if you decide to fight him :colbert:
I know horrible decision.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Groogy posted:

Sorry but we decided we actually want to make Hitler a challenge if you decide to fight him :colbert:

Can't wait to implement my 1939 Operation Valkyrie mod

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Groogy posted:

Sell us "Overblown historical anecdote factory" DLC down the line that does make all of the leaders have magical personalities though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Groogy posted:

Okay, but at least make Hitler AI take really dumb event decisions to send entire divisons to go find Shambhala and other occult nonsense.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Are they adding purges of high army staff for Germany and Soviets? Also will the Business Plot and Communist Agitation on the US serve as possible ways to stray it away from democracy?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Canada, Australia, and NZ better have its own decision about whether or not to support Britain when it goes to war otherwise I'm boycotting this game!!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Are they adding purges of high army staff for Germany and Soviets? Also will the Business Plot and Communist Agitation on the US serve as possible ways to stray it away from democracy?

we had this long discussion about it. the soviet purges are in amd if you don't purge the army the trotskists will take power.

stalin was right.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Santa Johan, if you're listening, all I want for Christmas Day Yuletide is an unannounced early HOI4 release :pray:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Drone posted:

Santa Johan, if you're listening, all I want for Christmas Day Yuletide is an unannounced early HOI4 release :pray:
The wait will be over by Christmas.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Drone posted:

All I want for Christmas is to conquer the world with glorious NATO counters.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All I want for Christmas is to conquer SPACE with glorious NATO counters...
But does Stellaris even have a release estimate? Like mid next year maybe?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That might be the earliest possible date. I would bet on it slipping to late next year.

EDIT: That might be optimistic. Paradox has actually never released two major games in the same year before, but they're bigger than ever.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 3, 2015

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Distant Worlds is currently $30 if people need a space fix.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRp7T5irXTQ
Stellaris gameplay vid. Lots of info from tool tips and such if you run in HD and pause and read poo poo !

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris gameplay vid. Lots of info from tool tips and such if you run in HD and pause and read poo poo !
Hah. One of the planet's tiles was "sprawling slums." "This region is covered with vast shanty towns and slums filled with the poor and the outcast. It contributes nothing to society. Cleared in 90 (turns, I guess)."

I guess we can imagine that 'clearing the slums' means different things depending on your empire's ethics.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 3, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strudel Man posted:

Hah. One of the planet's tiles was "sprawling slums." "This region is covered with vast shanty towns and slums filled with the poor and the outcast. It contributes nothing to society. Cleared in 90 (turns, I guess)."

I guess we can imagine that 'clearing the slums' means different things depending on your empire's ethics.

The other tile was an "Industrial Wasteland" filled with obsolete factories that takes 120 turns to clear. I love the idea of colonizing some ruined planet, although those ruins should probably have some sort of salvage value or something.

Also a technology for colonizing RING WORLDS.

Also your scientists can be drug addicts.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 3, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Strudel Man posted:

Hah. One of the planet's tiles was "sprawling slums." "This region is covered with vast shanty towns and slums filled with the poor and the outcast. It contributes nothing to society.

Planet New Jersey?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I know they've brought up late game challenges before but it sounds that if they can make them challenging enough they'll finally stop the late strategy game problem of the player snowballing so hard that there's no challenge in the game anymore.That's probably been one of CK2 and EU4's biggest flaws.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

:golfclap:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Drone posted:

Good news, HOI4 will be released in early...

... 2017!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Didn't the original Steam page have Feb 2016 on it before it was pulled then republished? Obviously the release date is subject to change but at one point they were aiming for early next year.

Hope they release more previews, covering more stages of the game, as time goes on. Still really looking forward to this.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

This looks real slick.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Didn't the original Steam page have Feb 2016 on it before it was pulled then republished? Obviously the release date is subject to change but at one point they were aiming for early next year.

Hope they release more previews, covering more stages of the game, as time goes on. Still really looking forward to this.

At one point they were aiming for early last year, so that doesn't really mean anything.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Baronjutter posted:

Also a technology for colonizing RING WORLDS.

All I wanted to hear :allears:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think they did the press release version of wink when pressed on the early '16 date that slipped into one version or another of the Steam page.

1st quarter is looking bad if press footage is still labeled alpha now in December but I think they are fairly confident in sometime in 2016.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel really dumb for not getting this the first time around.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dreylad posted:

I know they've brought up late game challenges before but it sounds that if they can make them challenging enough they'll finally stop the late strategy game problem of the player snowballing so hard that there's no challenge in the game anymore.That's probably been one of CK2 and EU4's biggest flaws.

Basically (to copy that Polygon video interview :v:) Space Mongols (Dominion / Hive Fleet sorta thing) / AI rebellion / Space Plague / Wrath of Star Khan / Galactus / Annihilation Wave etc etc. This can be amazing and man, infinite expansion potential.

Stellaris: Wrath of Galactic Kirby :allears:

e: And then have an option and a difficulty slider that sets just up to how many of these things can trigger during the same time frame/game :supaburn:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
There should be a Stellaris event where you discover the ruins of a civilization that ended in their Information Age and the only remaining relic is an old server full of archived bad forum posts