Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

They both do the same thing one is just infinitely more spergy by requiring you to assemble a computer by all the parts and everything is more expensive and annoying to do.

But as far as I'm concerned they're both niche mods and it's hard to argue for their inclusion in any pack, and on a server their usage has to be monitored really closely because they're easy to gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Jvie posted:

I was responding to that earlier video.

oh :shobon:

yeah joffrey's chamber is great

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You want niche? Remember redpower computers? i had to learn forth to create a factory that shat out solar panels from uumatter!

Lua is a godsend if you're into that sort of thing. It's helpful for creating/maintaining an active big reactor and helpful in multi-chain automation tasks, but a lot of that functionality has been taken over by other, better mods I suppose.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

You want niche? Remember redpower computers? i had to learn forth to create a factory that shat out solar panels from uumatter!

Lua is a godsend if you're into that sort of thing. It's helpful for creating/maintaining an active big reactor and helpful in multi-chain automation tasks, but a lot of that functionality has been taken over by other, better mods I suppose.

I actually liked redpower computers quite a bit :shobon:

i was definitely in the minority though

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Bhodi posted:

Yesssssss.

I once built a church where the center of the nave would turn into a set of stairs leading down to a Nether portal frame which would light as soon as the final stair clicked into place. It was the most tedious thing I have ever done but hot drat did it look cool when I finally got it working.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Bhodi posted:

e.g. Lolmer's iteration of the EZ-NUKE Minecraft BigReactor Computercraft Control Program. ;) Still to be updated to work with OpenComputers in tandem.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
i just haven't really seen the point of these coding mods because if I wanted to sit there and code poo poo to do stuff for me instead of exploring or building or otherwise actually playing the game, I'd just mod my own entities into the game.

Then again, a lot of the mods where you build machines to do poo poo for you is already pushing that notion.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
If anyone's looking for good monster mods, Mowzie's Mobs is one to watch. There's only three mobs right now, but they are really good so far. The model and animation quality is fantastic for Minecraft Mobs, and none of them have the "massively OP" problem you usually get with monster mods.

It actually makes the monsters interesting to fight, too:
- One is a standard plant enemy (kill it from afar, honestly not super interesting).
- One is a "group"-type enemy, the leader of each group having a shield so you need to wait for it to wind up an attack and quickly counter to do damage.
- One is a very powerful, but also very slow enemy that you need to goad into getting its weapon stuck in the ground so you can strike its back to do damage.

My only complaint so far is that the tribal group enemies spawn a little too often for my liking. Otherwise definitely check it out if you've wanted a mod that adds enemies that is actually good for once.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

dijon du jour posted:

If anyone's looking for good monster mods, Mowzie's Mobs is one to watch. There's only three mobs right now, but they are really good so far. The model and animation quality is fantastic for Minecraft Mobs, and none of them have the "massively OP" problem you usually get with monster mods.

It actually makes the monsters interesting to fight, too:
- One is a standard plant enemy (kill it from afar, honestly not super interesting).
- One is a "group"-type enemy, the leader of each group having a shield so you need to wait for it to wind up an attack and quickly counter to do damage.
- One is a very powerful, but also very slow enemy that you need to goad into getting its weapon stuck in the ground so you can strike its back to do damage.

My only complaint so far is that the tribal group enemies spawn a little too often for my liking. Otherwise definitely check it out if you've wanted a mod that adds enemies that is actually good for once.

The Foliaath (plants) do make good pets, however.

... provided you stay outside the fence.

Mine watches over the cows! :haw:

Oddly enough, however, hostile mobs will try to murder them, and they don't actually seem particularly inclined to protect themselves.

e: For gently caress's sake. Speaking of, a spider pig from mutant creatures appears to have spawned and killed it. I guess you know what happened to Audreys III and IV now.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Taffer posted:

They both do the same thing one is just infinitely more spergy by requiring you to assemble a computer by all the parts and everything is more expensive and annoying to do.
OC makes up for the initial hassle by having a lot more features and flexibility. But yeah, it's annoying to actually craft anything in it with the default recipes.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm having a pretty good time with the Void World pack...aside from the pack creator jacking up the emc costs on everything and having some crazy turn in requirements. I can't progress in the Big Reactors quest line because I need 10 stacks of yellorium...and each one is over 65k emc. I've got a sag mill/blaze rod chain that's mostly going to supplement the rudimentary power flower set to produce the yellorium ingots.

Edit because of switching from mobile back to desktop:

Also, dark matter is changed to requiring aeternalis /blocks/, 4 dark matter only makes 1 dark matter block, dark matter armor requires blocks. I have one quest I can't complete because I made a silk touch tinker's shovel but it won't break the grass block, so my only other option for making grass blocks (that I need to turn in) is that "all the project e rings in one" ring, which of course I don't have the emc for. My only source for gelid cryotheum requires crafting blizz powder and then cryotheum dust, and of course there's a quest for large-scale turn in of that.

I have a 1 million bucket of water quest and a 1 million cobblestone quest chugging away in the background with an aqueous accumulator and um, that thermal expansion machine that is a cobble gen. The latter is fully upgraded with an impulse itemduct with a good servo shoving a stack at a time into the QDS. Is there a way to increase the speed of the aqueous accumulator?

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 5, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nope, use Extra Utilities transfer nodes with world utilization upgrades for them instead.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

taiyoko posted:

Is there a way to increase the speed of the aqueous accumulator?
I assume you already know that surrounding it with water on 4 sides makes it go faster, but just in case, it does.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is there a good mod for pulling the biome layout of a map out and displaying it? Voxel maps does a great job in game, but I want to be able to export the layout as an image, or upload the map somewhere and have it display as an overlay.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

Is there a good mod for pulling the biome layout of a map out and displaying it? Voxel maps does a great job in game, but I want to be able to export the layout as an image, or upload the map somewhere and have it display as an overlay.

You mean like JourneyMap? Modderation: FYAD Official Server Map is an example of it in action, if you want.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Nope, use Extra Utilities transfer nodes with world utilization upgrades for them instead.

Bhodi posted:

I assume you already know that surrounding it with water on 4 sides makes it go faster, but just in case, it does.

...I didn't think about doing it with transfer nodes like an idiot. The cobble will be simple that way, but I think I might need to re-enable infinite water for it to work with water.

Still gonna be a pain in the rear end for the cryotheum quest, what with having to do destabilized redstone on snowballs to get blizz powder, which doesn't have an emc so crafting it is the only way to get it. Then I have to craft with another snowball, redstone, and the also-no-emc niter, gained by pulverizing sandstone. That gives me cryotheum dust, which then has to go back into the magma crucible to turn in. It was bad enough making 10 openblocks tanks full.

Haven't even looked at pyrotheum yet. :smithicide:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
A single transfer node cobblegen produces about 3 per second in my obscurity game. It's slightly faster, but not that much, sadly. I really kinda hate "million X" quests.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

taiyoko posted:

I'm having a pretty good time with the Void World pack...aside from the pack creator jacking up the emc costs on everything and having some crazy turn in requirements. I can't progress in the Big Reactors quest line because I need 10 stacks of yellorium...and each one is over 65k emc. I've got a sag mill/blaze rod chain that's mostly going to supplement the rudimentary power flower set to produce the yellorium ingots.

Edit because of switching from mobile back to desktop:

Also, dark matter is changed to requiring aeternalis /blocks/, 4 dark matter only makes 1 dark matter block, dark matter armor requires blocks. I have one quest I can't complete because I made a silk touch tinker's shovel but it won't break the grass block, so my only other option for making grass blocks (that I need to turn in) is that "all the project e rings in one" ring, which of course I don't have the emc for. My only source for gelid cryotheum requires crafting blizz powder and then cryotheum dust, and of course there's a quest for large-scale turn in of that.

I have a 1 million bucket of water quest and a 1 million cobblestone quest chugging away in the background with an aqueous accumulator and um, that thermal expansion machine that is a cobble gen. The latter is fully upgraded with an impulse itemduct with a good servo shoving a stack at a time into the QDS. Is there a way to increase the speed of the aqueous accumulator?

I quit void world pretty early after seeing the whole nonsensical quest layout - I ran to the tower the mayor was in, climbed to the top, found a placeable block named 'note #2' and tried to read it, but ended up placing it instead (turns out you can't read it), but by doing this it made a quest from the mayor uncompletable, so I had to load a backup from an hour earlier, then it turns out breaking any of the metal around bunkers can break the npcs so I just went gently caress it and quit. It seems way too sloppily made.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Been playing regrowth.

Does it actually start to get good?

Im at the point where i have most seeds to 10, (though im only on the strong infusion ones, shards, diamonds etc...)

But i really dont see the point. I tried to push to thaumcraft, but got gated behind not being able to get a greatwood sapling, im missing 1 compontent (cant recall which one) to make the seed and it just isnt interesting enough to push through.

I loved bliaghtfall. The steps were all pretty much paced and the recovery of the map showed my progress. (big stretches of land with no trees once i got dawn totems, followed by lands with trees....)

Regrowth just seems to mispaced. Made a rod of the lands to get dirt, but as soon as you get earth seeds going you dont need that anymore. My base is completely safe. (well the huge slimes can hop over the fence, but i have some modest bees about and i just stand betweent he cactus's and they kill themselves...)

Didnt really get into witchery, is it any good later on?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

Been playing regrowth.

Does it actually start to get good?

Im at the point where i have most seeds to 10, (though im only on the strong infusion ones, shards, diamonds etc...)

But i really dont see the point. I tried to push to thaumcraft, but got gated behind not being able to get a greatwood sapling, im missing 1 compontent (cant recall which one) to make the seed and it just isnt interesting enough to push through.

I loved bliaghtfall. The steps were all pretty much paced and the recovery of the map showed my progress. (big stretches of land with no trees once i got dawn totems, followed by lands with trees....)

Regrowth just seems to mispaced. Made a rod of the lands to get dirt, but as soon as you get earth seeds going you dont need that anymore. My base is completely safe. (well the huge slimes can hop over the fence, but i have some modest bees about and i just stand betweent he cactus's and they kill themselves...)

Didnt really get into witchery, is it any good later on?

I have lots of seeds, but can I make iron seeds or any other ores - Nope,
How are you supposed to get them the HQM hasnt shown me yet?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

I have lots of seeds, but can I make iron seeds or any other ores - Nope,
How are you supposed to get them the HQM hasnt shown me yet?

have you looked at the NEi

type in iron seeds it will show you what you need,

Edit- wasm going to log in and see, but pack is updating.

Do you have copper seeds yet? I think you need some copper essence to make the iron, might need to hand in the iron essence quest a few times too to get the iron essence

Double edit.

Pack finsihed updating and crashes before loading, guess im done with regrowth.

But i think you need to make sure you have
essence seeds (you need these for all ore seeds)

youll need weak essence

to make that you need the weak essence stone, NEI it.

youll need mana and a runic altar to make all these btw, so get your runic altar up, might openthe quest line if i remember.

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 6, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

have you looked at the NEi

type in iron seeds it will show you what you need,

Edit- wasm going to log in and see, but pack is updating.

Do you have copper seeds yet? I think you need some copper essence to make the iron, might need to hand in the iron essence quest a few times too to get the iron essence

Double edit.

Pack finsihed updating and crashes before loading, guess im done with regrowth.

But i think you need to make sure you have
essence seeds (you need these for all ore seeds)

youll need weak essence

to make that you need the weak essence stone, NEI it.

youll need mana and a runic altar to make all these btw, so get your runic altar up, might openthe quest line if i remember.

I also down graded and its not running either,

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Always back up your saves before upgrading!! :(

Anyone know if there are substantial updates, or if it's just bringing up the mods to current versions?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Does Regrowth have a questline to introduce Mekanism machines? I've gotten Osmium and Certus seeds up and growing by now, but I've never used Mekanism and I'm hoping there's an easier way to get through it and start up AE2 besides just clicking around in NEI and more or less guessing what the proper progression is.

The quests have sort of petered out where I am right now. There are still 3 locked chapters in the quest book, but I'm not really sure what I need to do to unlock them. I've only done the bare minimum in Witchcraft to start on Thaumcraft and Blood Magic, I have an infusion altar and a tier 2 blood altar, but I'm just not sure what to do next.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mr. Peepers posted:

Does Regrowth have a questline to introduce Mekanism machines? I've gotten Osmium and Certus seeds up and growing by now, but I've never used Mekanism and I'm hoping there's an easier way to get through it and start up AE2 besides just clicking around in NEI and more or less guessing what the proper progression is.

The quests have sort of petered out where I am right now. There are still 3 locked chapters in the quest book, but I'm not really sure what I need to do to unlock them. I've only done the bare minimum in Witchcraft to start on Thaumcraft and Blood Magic, I have an infusion altar and a tier 2 blood altar, but I'm just not sure what to do next.

Yeah, they are very new. IIRC it's "How the World Enhances"

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

That chapter's still locked for me. Happen to know what I need to open it up?

VVV That's all done, no dice.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 6, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mr. Peepers posted:

That chapter's still locked for me. Happen to know what I need to open it up?

Not off hand, but you'll need to have titanium, a rolling machine, and buildcraft assembly table to make stuff in Mekanism, so it's probably those quests.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Going by direwolfs latest video mekanism is gated by wrought iron to make enriched alloy. Creating the smelter is apparently super annoying though since it uses a carpenter machine and biofuel.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Going by direwolfs latest video mekanism is gated by wrought iron to make enriched alloy. Creating the smelter is apparently super annoying though since it uses a carpenter machine and biofuel.

That's necessary to make steel and ultimately the components themselves, but I'm trying to unlock the questline Glory of Arioch mentioned.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Galactic Science on the FTB Launcher is officially my new favorite "Skyblock"*.

*Not actually a Skyblock, unless you count starting on the moon as technically being on a block in the sky.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Always back up your saves before upgrading!! :(

Anyone know if there are substantial updates, or if it's just bringing up the mods to current versions?

I clicked to do the backup saves, is that good enough or did i need to physically back up stuff by going into folders?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I have no idea, sorry! I've only ever manually copied the save folders.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

I clicked to do the backup saves, is that good enough or did i need to physically back up stuff by going into folders?

I would assume that it's creating a new folder in the directory out of which you can manually copy-paste the backup over the original, now corrupted, map, but I haven't actually messed with it either.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Has anyone tried the Tolkiencraft modpack?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

When I do backups, I backup the entirety of the minecraft instance, because things like configs and load orders may have been changed and may not be restorable though normal installation.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!
Botania had a major update. Rainbow mana pools, no more having to make diluted mana pools first, simpler recipes for flowers, an actual hud for the petal apothicary and runic altar, buffed flowers - especially passives...

I might have to ditch my saves to play with this now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ayana posted:

Botania had a major update. Rainbow mana pools, no more having to make diluted mana pools first, simpler recipes for flowers, an actual hud for the petal apothicary and runic altar, buffed flowers - especially passives...

I might have to ditch my saves to play with this now.

he changed a lot of the mana calculations too, my megasperg post is now out of date :negative:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I think it's she?

What are rainbow mana pools?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Breakdown of the update please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar