Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

There should be no difference in the maximum size, as its all based on the same basic mathematics. The important bit is that Arena Commander's maps have a fixed origin that doesn't move, which isn't the case for the new system. Under the new system, the local grids used for the majority of the work for/by the client are not fixed volumes in a section of space (i.e., we're not talking about a 32-bit 8km box, next to another, next to another, etc. that are strung together to make a 64-bit equivalent space and which you transit through statically). The local grids used for objects with no parent grid other than the 64-bit world space are dynamically created at the time the calculations are needed. Essentially, when something needs to happen for you, the system creates a temporary 32-bit grid for you and other objects where all are close to the center where there is appropriate precision available, does the calculations, gets the result, and then translates the results back to 64-bit positions based on where it created the temporary grid.

Every single frame rendered needs every potentially visible object to be in a 32bit space. Every. Single. Frame.

What dynamic calculations are you talking about? No one is creating and tearing down "grids" all the time whenever something happens. Please for the love of god stop. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Have you seen the Poseidon documents from Goonswarm relating to the way that Eve creates 'local bubbles' of space around ships, and how it could be manipulated for fun and profit?

I read something years ago about figuring out position stuff and my head hurt, so I didn't try to read it again. Everything about Eve caused me pain now that I think back.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a bit out of the loop, has there been a lawsuit yet?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yes, but we're been asked not to talk about it yet, a few people are still selling ships and we want to give it a few days before the market crashes.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

In two weeks. Unless D_Smarts uncle breaks his wrist of course

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/301276/i-need-new-friends

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

I read something years ago about figuring out position stuff and my head hurt, so I didn't try to read it again. Everything about Eve caused me pain now that I think back.

Effectively when a ship hits local grid, it's either already in a bubble of space, or one is created for it. If you move in one direction, as you get close to the edge of the local bubble, it creates a new one. These bubbles then join up. I *believe* that the address space for these bubbles is cleared up after an amount of time; they used to survive downtime, which is the traditional clearance schedule. There's a _macro_ positioning system, and a local grid that mostly mesh to provide for the illusion of contigious space. When we started officer fitting interceptors to hit 16km/s, it started to break down the calculations and they had to start modifying top speeds.

it did have the side effect of allowing for manipulation of the local grid to hide fleets; it feels like CiG has come up with the same or similar system, worth bearing in mind.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Bloke will pay you $10 to buy a Star Citizen $40 package using his referral code

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

and i bet he still struggles to get 10 referrals lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kikkelivelho posted:

If you look at the 2.0 videos the stations and various asteroids are clearly visible from beyond the 8 km limit so I don't think that's the case. You seem to exit quantum at a distance of 15 km from the target and the stations are visible from that range.

Things are visible from 100km out. Possibly more, but then they're pretty much indistinguishable from background stars, being just a couple bright pixels.

Stations are easily spotted from several hundred km out.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

this legit just happened

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ZenMaster posted:

this legit just happened

i love the super cluttered cockpit

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Holy poo poo, he actually did it. I admit that I thought all the talk about "we can't do anything before December because that's when the original TOS delivery date runs out" was so much bollocks and that he'd quietly let the issue die but Derek Smart actually filled the lawsuit.
This is one of those moments in history like the Moon landing or V-E day, in the future people will ask you "where were you when Derek Smart filled the lawsuit?". Can't wait to see Sandi frogmarched into court to reveal if she was actually Karl all along.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

id love for someone to ask them how CIG's lawsuit against the escapist is going

or did all the true believers suddenly forget about that one?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Also, you seem to be able to detect other ships that are something like 20 km away from you. They are too small to see but the hud tells you they are there. Combat at those distances is impossible however.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

Things are visible from 100km out. Possibly more, but then they're pretty much indistinguishable from background stars, being just a couple bright pixels.

Stations are easily spotted from several hundred km out.

They can do that the same way they use the range icons for distant locations, it's the orientation and the zone boundary change that should be trickier to solve based on my limited understanding.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Melkor needs to remember to keep secret poo poo in the secret forum.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

id love for someone to ask them how CIG's lawsuit against the escapist is going

or did all the true believers suddenly forget about that one?

Um no the escapist backed down and apologized and begged for forgiveness, and the infinitely compassionate Croberts smiled down upon them and showed mercy.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

AP posted:

They can do that the same way they use the range icons for distant locations, it's the orientation and the zone boundary change that should be trickier to solve based on my limited understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5YFngjRCeE&t=432s

Here the guy exits quantum at 30 km away from the station. He begins cruising toward it and at about 20 km away he detects a ship at the station.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Spinach Dip

Ooooo, I love spinach artichoke dip. Not spinach dip, not artichoke dip, but spinach artichoke dip. Here is an easy recipe for it.

SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP

1 9-ounce package frozen spinach
1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts in water
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 5.2-ounce package Boursin cheese or other Gournay cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan
2-3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
dash Cholula sauce or other hot sauce

Reserve some of the water from the canned artichokes.

Finely chop the artichoke hearts and spinach. Mix the spinach-artichoke mixture together with the remaining ingredients. Add water from the canned artichoke hearts until the dip reaches desired consistency. Bake at 350 F for 15 minutes. Serve with chips.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?
Is there a gameplay video of Line of Defense ?

I want to determine how serious i can take dereks rants.

Also is this thread back to this "game" won't be "done" until 2020 ?

because i remember 5 threads ago or something this was consesus.. then there was a time of sperging about how they will shoot stuff only to reverse into :gary: when derek got into it.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

How to get a cultist to stop trying to sell you jpegs

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

GreenLight posted:

Is there a gameplay video of Line of Defense ?

I want to determine how serious i can take dereks rants.

:laffo:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

i love the super cluttered cockpit

If (IF) this game ever release, the rift between the true beleivers wanting to keep the original (Now in CROBSVISION!(tm)) HUDS vs The sane players wanting to customize it so it only display the important information in a minimal way will be forum shattering.

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?

i guessed as much ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlYGgju1R2o

looks awesome.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uknz0/spoiler_the_beginning_of_squadron_42_and/cxluktc?context=3

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm putting together a slide show for a mock eulogy I have to do for class, and I'm thinking in addition to doing it super lovely I should fade a song in over the course of the whole thing, what do you think?

Maybe this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHIIATt0BaM

Or is Enya the obvious choice?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfYIMyS_dI

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

AP posted:

Yes, Bengal largest you can capture and fly, not for sale (so far).

Ahem. Goals can change while in development, but i must admit the possibility of going full kamikaze along with Goons in starting ships on a Fury fleet owned Bengal (probably named something like "F.S.S. Smoochypaws") for giggles would make me consider picking up this game in 2018.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 3, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

quote:

San.. ehm Matilda

:laugh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

EVE isn't too bad these days. But this is from a guy who loves MO3, so take this with a grain of salt. :v:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

To be fair it's early access. If you're going to judge Derek it should be based on one of his many other excellent and fun titles.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
remember when Octopode talked about how he had no concerns for the suffering of other humans so long as he got his video game

lmfao

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

D_Smart posted:

I have to run, but will tackle this later. In the meantime..

http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/topic/star-citizen-year-four/#post-1812

You never did get back to this.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Haha Karl's "husband" sounds pretentious and idiotic as gently caress.

"They're all inferior to me because they don't drink whiskey, are all virgins, and have never smoked weed"

Not sure what I expected, though. Quotes from anyone Karl makes up are bound to be at least as stupid as everything else he says.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Eonwe posted:

remember when Octopode talked about how he had no concerns for the suffering of other humans so long as he got his video game

lmfao

"There is no suffering on earth like the suffering of having wasted thousands of dollars on this lovely game" - Octopode, 2017

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

AP posted:

Yes, that sorta makes sense and is clever but if Shubin is 6km long and in a zone, if you travel 8km away, so you're just over 5km distant from the edge of Shubin, you can't see it anymore?

If the zone is based on your position instead of Shubin, harder as you'll need more zones, you can't see a 6km object in space from just over 8km away?

Sorry, I started typing a reply to this then got distracted.

So, for larger objects, that's where you get into solutions like I posted about last night: you essentially can identify things that would normally be outside (or on the low-precision edge of) your 32-bit box, but still need to be rendered, and fake the distance to them by rendering them closer to the player, but smaller, so they appear more distant but are actually still in the 32-bit box. I think they're already doing this for large objects in the current map, such as the planets, because those essentially remain visible no matter your distance from them, but from my limited testing I'm not sure if they're doing it for medium sized stuff like the space stations--I don't think they are. Edit: I saw Truga's post above; apparently they are doing it.

Things won't be able to be interacted with or anything with this method, but they will be visible with an apparent correct visual distance.

Octopode fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 3, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.twitch.tv/trugarrr/v/28068994

Scroll to 29:35 :laugh:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Does Octopode post this poo poo anywhere else? Reddit, RSI, etc? It can't just be here.

I've had to finally put him on ignore because I can't believe someone is this deluded. I can't stop being dragged in to correct him and then I touch the poo and the poo touches back.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Bedshaped posted:

Everything I've seen so far lead me to conclude that if cig are building a house, they've started with a wooden frame and fully completed the 2nd floor master bedroom without adding anything else.

This is going to be in development hell for years maybe we won't see anything tangibly close to what they've promised until 2018. Why didn't they create a functional engine or any platform to grow an expansive universe on first. It's so mind bogglingly short sighted

When you are scamming people out of their money it's better to release a tech demo one a year than have them watch tedious engine and code development, I guess.

This great magic trick consists of three parts or acts.

The first part is called "The Pledge". Crobberts shows you something ordinary: a Jpeg, a Youtube show starring his wife or a 3 page wall of text on his vision. He shows you this idea. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed pretty, full of possibility, exciting. But of course... it probably isn't.

The second act is called "The Turn". Crobberts takes the Jpeg and makes it do something different from what was promised and what you paid for. Now you're waiting for the release... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. You want it perfect.

But you wouldn't clap yet. Because causing 100M to be spend in 3 year for a Tech Demo isn't enough; you have to give something back. That's why this magic trick has a third act, the part we call "Squadron42 movie".”

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! That's some epic trolling right there :)

It's 12/03/TYOOL2015, CIG has now unquestioningly failed to meet their own deadline in the first TOS, right? Where is the lawsuit you used to talk about so often Mr Smart? In 800 words or less please.

• Locked thread