Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

repeating posted:

You can call in and report it. There's a process for that.

IIRC there is a number you can just forward the texts to to report them. I don't know what it is though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Beefstorm posted:

IIRC there is a number you can just forward the texts to to report them. I don't know what it is though.

http://bfy.tw/36Ja

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah that! 7726

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

ilkhan posted:

It's probably a technical thing where they can't pull the unlock code for arbitrary IMEIs, just active ones.

Put the SIM in for a day and call them back.

UPDATE:

So I sold my Z3 on the spot in the TMobile store and then literally gave the cash to TMobile to pay off the phone. I had them resubmit the request to get the device unlocked and they told me that it would be within 24 hours and that they would send me an email. I guess all it takes is talking to the right person!

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is the $30 nerd plan still the best plan for high data/ low talk minutes usage? Im a bit bummed I can't use binge on with it. I use slingplayer and if I could catch some espn on the bus to work that would be great. Any tricks for a comparable qualifying plan?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

madkapitolist posted:

Is the $30 nerd plan still the best plan for high data/ low talk minutes usage? Im a bit bummed I can't use binge on with it. I use slingplayer and if I could catch some espn on the bus to work that would be great. Any tricks for a comparable qualifying plan?

It's still a good deal.

You know where BingeOn is available, it just applies to the Sling-branded a la carte streaming service, not to Sling boxes that stream your home tv, right?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I thought for sure more Apps would have jumped on Binge On by now and they'd be adding SOMETHING to the service. Has there seriously been nothing since it launched? Do content providers just not know or care about it?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Astro7x posted:

I thought for sure more Apps would have jumped on Binge On by now and they'd be adding SOMETHING to the service. Has there seriously been nothing since it launched? Do content providers just not know or care about it?

It's been less then a month since they announced Binge On. Calm down.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Astro7x posted:

You seem pretty annoyed and disappointed about a free thing that has existed for two weeks.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm just surprised because the application process is supposed to be super easy, but we still haven't see YouTube added to it which we know they are working on since before BingeOn launched.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

T-Mobile has to keep the application process open and easy or they would be in violation of Net Neutrality principles.

That doesn't magically make the technical aspects easy.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
did you google "binge on youtube" because this is literally the first result

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/11/t-mobile-sheds-some-light-on-youtubes-absence-from-binge-on/

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

did you google "binge on youtube" because this is literally the first result

http://www.tmonews.com/2015/11/t-mobile-sheds-some-light-on-youtubes-absence-from-binge-on/

As an eventvwr.msc goon, could a tarball /whatever IT goon explain to me that this is legit? The smell test rates it "suspicious".

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

repeating posted:

As an eventvwr.msc goon, could a tarball /whatever IT goon explain to me that this is legit? The smell test rates it "suspicious".

UDP is built to be a raw, fast stream of data that doesn't much care if it gets where it's going or not. No handshakes, minimal or optional checksums. It makes it hard to determine what traffic is what, since the only information in the header is "this packet came from this and goes to that".

I'm curious what you being a windows tech has to do with not understanding this, and why you think it's suspicious.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

UDP is built to be a raw, fast stream of data that doesn't much care if it gets where it's going or not. No handshakes, minimal or optional checksums. It makes it hard to determine what traffic is what, since the only information in the header is "this packet came from this and goes to that".

I'm curious what you being a windows tech has to do with not understanding this, and why you think it's suspicious.

I really just meant I'm a power user, not a network engineer. That explanation makes a lot of sense, though. Thanks.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
They really can't just whitelist all YouTube domains? I'm sure Google could supply that info for them. Or is T-Mobile really trying to penny pinch the text/image data on the rest of the page and only counting video for Binge?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FlyingCheese posted:

They really can't just whitelist all YouTube domains? I'm sure Google could supply that info for them. Or is T-Mobile really trying to penny pinch the text/image data on the rest of the page and only counting video for Binge?

Remember, they are mandating the streams run at 480p max. This requires much more than a whitelist.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For those not opting into the unlimited data stash, do we know what happens to our current stashes after the new year?

All of us should have unlimited data until the end of February. But I still have my initial 10GB Data Stash that I haven't used yet. So that will go away Jan 1st, and I'll be on the capped 20GB Data Stash, but also on this temporary unlimited plan.

So should I just assume that I'll have no data rolling over for Jan and Feb, and then March I'll start with my love $10/3GB plan with no data in my data stash?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

With the new Binge On program, Data Stash is capped at 20GB. If you prefer to keep unlimited Data Stash and have video streaming count against your data, text DATAROLL to 6255 by December 15.

NOTE: if you select DATAROLL, you will be forced off your plan if you decide to opt in to Binge On free streaming later. You will have to choose a new plan from the currently available ones.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Does anyone know why you shouldn't use Chrome to sign up for the nerd plan?

I signed up for the nerd plan and used Chrome.

DID I MISS SOMETHING AMAZING?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
For awhile it was just plain broken.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

DemonMage posted:

For awhile it was just plain broken.
That's their entire website though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So apparently to add a 4th person to my account I have to change plans so I can pay TM $30 above what it would cost with my current plan. Just break it off in my rear end TM.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Pretty excited about getting LTE deployed in most of the big cities here. 33 meg down at my house now.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 14, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Porting trip report: It took longer on the phone (about 15 minutes total, much of which was spent on account validation) than it did for the actual port process to put my wife's number on her phone. Inbound, outbound, text, all working already.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Does the nerd plan include music freedom?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sure does.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Ugh. The iPhone I ordered for Cyber Monday got lost by UPS and went back to T-Mobile. Now T-Mobile has to process a new order.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Got a text message yesterday telling me I have yet another free year of unlimited 4G LTE data. Is there a reason I got the upgrade for another year? Or is it just them being nice?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Drastic Actions posted:

Got a text message yesterday telling me I have yet another free year of unlimited 4G LTE data. Is there a reason I got the upgrade for another year? Or is it just them being nice?

I wondered about this as well, as I got the exact same text.

I also wonder how much the cap is on the 'unlimited' plan, because we also don't have the Binge On option for video. So Netflix, etc. counts against our data, whilst the music streaming services don't.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Qu Appelle posted:

I wondered about this as well, as I got the exact same text.

I also wonder how much the cap is on the 'unlimited' plan, because we also don't have the Binge On option for video. So Netflix, etc. counts against our data, whilst the music streaming services don't.

21 gigs is when they start prioritizing you on the network. Meaning if you're at 21 gigs for the month and you're on a tower that is congested you'll have slower speeds. But if it's 3 am and no one is on the network, you're gonna be at full speed.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Burden posted:

21 gigs is when they start prioritizing you on the network. Meaning if you're at 21 gigs for the month and you're on a tower that is congested you'll have slower speeds. But if it's 3 am and no one is on the network, you're gonna be at full speed.

Thank you.

Unless I start watching a lot of video, I'm not going to even come close to that.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I get deprioritized and my data is almost unusable when I try and use it at peak times. I wish it would at least stay at ~3G speeds.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
That's a pretty lovely thing to do to people who pay the money for unlimited to have data when they need it. I can't say I've noticed any difference when I go over 21 gigs yet though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Your area must not be congested, since the way they have it structured is to only deprioritize you at that high of a usage level if the tower you're on is at capacity.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Long Francesco posted:

That's a pretty lovely thing to do to people who pay the money for unlimited to have data when they need it. I can't say I've noticed any difference when I go over 21 gigs yet though.

My guess is that the throttle rate for those of us who are paying limited prices, yet got offered 'unlimited data', is a lot lower than for those who are paying for a true unlimited plan.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
So I just got a new job where I'll be working the graveyard shift. The company that I'll be working for is pretty strict when it comes to plugging new devices into the network.

If I wanted to keep myself busy, I'd have to tether. I'm on a grandfathered 4G "unlimited" plan that doesn't have talk, and am currently using a Nexus 4 without the LTE patch. There is a 5GB cap on it before I get throttled.

To get 4G tethering and no data cap, I'd have to get a new phone, switch to Simple Choice then upgrade to unlimited? That'd be like $80, right? What if I don't want talk on my plan? Is that setup possible?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

rngd in the womb posted:

So I just got a new job where I'll be working the graveyard shift. The company that I'll be working for is pretty strict when it comes to plugging new devices into the network.

If I wanted to keep myself busy, I'd have to tether. I'm on a grandfathered 4G "unlimited" plan that doesn't have talk, and am currently using a Nexus 4 without the LTE patch. There is a 5GB cap on it before I get throttled.

To get 4G tethering and no data cap, I'd have to get a new phone, switch to Simple Choice then upgrade to unlimited? That'd be like $80, right? What if I don't want talk on my plan? Is that setup possible?

There is no uncapped tether, unlimited LTE on a phone (to 21GB on a congested tower) is now $95 for a single line. If you intend to use audio/video services that participate in music freedom/binge on, those work over tether so you won't need unlimited.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I must live in a cool area because I've never been throttled despite being over 21 gigs. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

hiddenriverninja posted:

I must live in a cool area because I've never been throttled despite being over 21 gigs. :cheers:

This was me up until like 2-3 months ago. Hope nothing changes for you.