Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The length of the cable will have precisely zero effect on anything. Propagation speed is a significant fraction of C.

It's actually the levels that are going to be messed up - the microphone's response curve won't match the one in the receiver's memory.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bigsteve posted:

This. Most likely it won't be able to figure the correct speaker distance due to different cable length and volume may be too quiet/loud but for setting levels and so on it should work. If your amp let's you out your own distance measurements in do that.

I disagree. Speaker distance calculations should be accurate. The delay is the speed of sound from speaker to mic, not the wire length which is the speed of light.

The SPL level matching should also be fine, but possibly not calibrated exactly to reference.

Standing wave calculations and seat to seat variation will probably be good too.

What will be off is the frequency response. However even thought the mics might not be perfect vs a calibrated mic, they might not be off enough for it to matter. My audyssey xt32 mic was close enough that I couldn't tell the see a difference in real world measurements using REW, and was actually better than the pro calibrated mic below 80hz.

The pioneer stuff might be a similar story.

Edit: lol I need sleep. Gotta work 2x as much with these loving oil prices.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 20, 2015

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

KillHour posted:

I built a new desk for my office.

Now I need to get more equipment to fill that rack space. :getin:

that's pretty awesome. What are the overall dimensions?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

6' long, roughly 3.5' deep.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
A meeting of woofers.

Which of them was sealed in this box? Had to modify Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba HT LP plans to add a feeding chute.

Just kidding! The dog goes on the outside :mmmhmm:

These horn loaded subs are great, I'm getting really useable response out of 45 watts.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

A meeting of woofers.

Which of them was sealed in this box? Had to modify Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba HT LP plans to add a feeding chute.

These horn loaded subs are great, I'm getting really useable response out of 45 watts.

HORRRRY poo poo!

I love my Large low tuned (LLT) 18's, but I'm pretty sure above 25hz yours require about 1/10 the power to keep up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A meeting of woofers.

Which amp are you using? Any EQ or DSP tweaking needed?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I picked up one of these off Gumtree for $100. I was initially running it off one channel as the sub is 4 ohm, but I decided to live on the edge and now it is running off 2 of these channels bridged.

All the crossovers are done in software. It has high pass and delay on the mains, and low pass and high pass on the sub. It drops off below about 25Hz in my room but should be easily fixed with a little EQ. Just need an amp with a bit more headroom first. 150W should be more than enough.

Edit: Thought I'd share a little more about my setup. Here are my custom speaker wires that I artisanally crafted.

The extra conductor picks up stray electrons and diverts them into quantum pocketry, widening the soundstage.

An older iteration of my setup with smaller mains. Note the acoustic doilies.

And the best part, I was given all these old record sleeves by a local vinyl shop in exchange for a Ben Folds Five Whatever and Ever Amen disc. They will end up plastered all over the sub.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 20, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A meeting of woofers.

gently caress yeah. I have a table tuba in the same format as that, it has an 8" woofer and has plenty of output at 30hz for film viewing at high volume. Love these designs. I also have a PA kit of his designs and the sound quality considering how cheap you can make them is loving hilariously brilliant.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I picked up one of these off Gumtree for $100. I was initially running it off one channel as the sub is 4 ohm, but I decided to live on the edge and now it is running off 2 of these channels bridged.

All the crossovers are done in software. It has high pass and delay on the mains, and low pass and high pass on the sub. It drops off below about 25Hz in my room but should be easily fixed with a little EQ. Just need an amp with a bit more headroom first. 150W should be more than enough.

Edit: Thought I'd share a little more about my setup. Here are my custom speaker wires that I artisanally crafted.

The extra conductor picks up stray electrons and diverts them into quantum pocketry, widening the soundstage.

An older iteration of my setup with smaller mains. Note the acoustic doilies.

And the best part, I was given all these old record sleeves by a local vinyl shop in exchange for a Ben Folds Five Whatever and Ever Amen disc. They will end up plastered all over the sub.

Awesome stuff, I totally dig it!

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Still some rogue wires that needs handling, but apart from that all done.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Sick.

What's the Mac? MA5200?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 12, 2015

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Sick.

What's the Mac? MA5200?

Yes, the MA5200. It's just 100w, but the speakers a very easily driven so plenty of power for a relatively small room.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Just" 100 WPC :lol:

On a set of JBLs like that, 100 WPC is more than enough oomph for rock concert SPL in an average-sized room. I bet you hardly ever use more than 10 WPC in normal use.

I hardly use that much to drive my JBL 4410s to neighbor-hating levels. Efficient speakers rule.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 12, 2015

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

"Just" 100 WPC :lol:

On a set of JBLs like that, 100 WPC is more than enough oomph for rock concert SPL in an average-sized room. I bet you hardly ever use more than 10 WPC in normal use.

I hardly use that much to drive my JBL 4410s to neighbor-hating levels. Efficient speakers rule.

All true. :-) I wish it had one more optical digital input tho, as it is with one of each it gets full pretty fast if you don't want to get an extra box in.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Happy What The gently caress Did I Just Buy Day, everybody!

Now someone tell me how the hell to mount my center channel speaker.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

KillHour posted:

Step 1, demolish the fireplace and move the TV to eye level ;)

I decided I like the center above the TV angled down slightly, but you should probably play around and see what you like best.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

Step 1, demolish the fireplace and move the TV to eye level ;)

I will fight someone to the death over this. I'm a guy who loves his home theater, and I would sooner watch movies on my phone than harm that fireplace in any permanent way. The thing is from the 1800's and built like a rock. I also actually use it.

After I broke up with my wife, found out WAF is more important to me than it ever was to her. I'm not turning my formal living room into a man-cave, damnit.

Also, it looks way worse than it is. You're looking up at maybe a 15 degree angle, and probably slouching way the hell down on the couch anyways.

taqueso posted:

I decided I like the center above the TV angled down slightly, but you should probably play around and see what you like best.

There's no way in hell that would fit, or be acoustically acceptable. I was thinking about building a small shelf just below the mantle and just accepting that the cord is going to be visible. :suicide:

Edit: Old TV for reference:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 28, 2015

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't know, looks pretty bad. I think in that scenario I would get one of those brackets that lets you bring it out and down, so you can lower it when you're watching it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

The Dave posted:

one of those brackets that lets you bring it out and down, so you can lower it when you're watching it.

That is a pretty cool idea.

quote:

There's no way in hell that would fit, or be acoustically acceptable. I was thinking about building a small shelf just below the mantle and just accepting that the cord is going to be visible. :suicide:
Yeah, I might have been smirking when I said above the TV was good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This is probably the stupidest thing anybody's ever said, but could you split your center channel into two very small speakers that go on either side of the tv? The sweet spot would be tiny but it might not sound bad?

Edit: ok, that's an awful idea.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 28, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

I don't know, looks pretty bad. I think in that scenario I would get one of those brackets that lets you bring it out and down, so you can lower it when you're watching it.

I prefer looking up at it, and I'm gonna leave the subject at that.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

The Dave posted:

I just had my living room remodeled and that's exactly what I'm planning to do. I've lived in this house for a year and only had a TV in the basement and bedroom. Above the fireplace is the only spot that works in the living room, but I'd rather not loving have a TV than crane my neck to watch. That being said they're like $600. So. Yeah. Anyone have a recommendation on a cheaper pull-down over-the-fireplace TV mount? :D

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

ddogflex posted:

I just had my living room remodeled and that's exactly what I'm planning to do. I've lived in this house for a year and only had a TV in the basement and bedroom. Above the fireplace is the only spot that works in the living room, but I'd rather not loving have a TV than crane my neck to watch. That being said they're like $600. So. Yeah. Anyone have a recommendation on a cheaper pull-down over-the-fireplace TV mount? :D

Look at Chief mounts

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

The TV location aside, what's up with that box next to the fireplace, is that the sub? And the chair is super close. How is that chair functional for anything in the room? Did that location really pass WAF?

Every time I see a room set up like that I ask myself is there not another way to arrange the room so the fireplace can exist without ruining the mantle by having a TV crammed on it?

Also good luck with the cooling on that set... above fireplace + no clearance around the top or bottom of the set

sellouts fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 3, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I want to move my center channel to be above my TV - what are my options? I have a 55" Samsung something or other.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

kri kri posted:

I want to move my center channel to be above my TV - what are my options? I have a 55" Samsung something or other.

Build a shelf and mount it to your wall. Or buy one from Ikea

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KillHour posted:

I will fight someone to the death over this. I'm a guy who loves his home theater, and I would sooner watch movies on my phone than harm that fireplace in any permanent way. The thing is from the 1800's and built like a rock. I also actually use it.

After I broke up with my wife, found out WAF is more important to me than it ever was to her. I'm not turning my formal living room into a man-cave, damnit.

Also, it looks way worse than it is. You're looking up at maybe a 15 degree angle, and probably slouching way the hell down on the couch anyways.

Edit: Old TV for reference:

I'm sorry, but this is a really, really unattractive setup. I know that you think you're preserving the "formal living room" and I hugely respect that, but you're actually breaking a ton of design and aesthetics rules, in very bad ways. Your desire to keep the TV over the fireplace is actually making the room give a different impression from "mature, well-thought out living room." It looks pretty bachelor, tbh.

The placement of everything- the TV, the speakers, the chair- looks completely out of whack and awkward on that wall. It simply can't work there and you need to find another place to put them.

If you moved your setup one wall to the left and maybe put your TV on a unit (so now the fireplace is to your right if you're watching TV), and put a tasteful shelf or picture up where the TV is now, your living room would look substantially classier and more grownup.

You could move the chair from next to the fireplace to directly across from it. Or have two chairs there with maybe a small table between them.

Alternatively, you could swap the couch for a big wraparound if you want the best of both worlds of fire and TV time.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I have to agree. I have never seen a setup with a TV above a fireplace and thought "that's an attractive, classy, and well laid-out living room".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Okay, first of all, you're telling me to put a 65 inch tv in front of a picture window that takes up the entire wall. You're also telling me to put a couch in a place that will block both my dining room and my foyer. Trust me when I say there is no other place I could possibly put a TV.

Secondly, I already said I like it there. I'm not looking for decorating tips.

I asked for ideas on how to mount a speaker.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 4, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I would bulldoze the entire building and design something new based around the TV.

(I'm not really familiar with speaker shelves or w/e.. sorry. My center channel is sitting on a cardboard tube thing that was in the bottom of my TV box, "mounted" on two piles of books on shelves)

taqueso fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 4, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KillHour posted:

Okay, first of all, you're telling me to put a 65 inch tv in front of a picture window that takes up the entire wall. You're also telling me to put a couch in a place that will block both my dining room and my foyer. Trust me when I say there is no other place I could possibly put a TV.

Secondly, I already said I like it there. I'm not looking for decorating tips.

I asked for ideas on how to mount a speaker.

Sorry dude. I guess the room itself just plain sucks for this, but I understand the limits.

As for the center channel: I guess put it where it fits? Ideal placement would be either directly above or below the TV, as in-line with the R and L channels as you can possibly get it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Honestly, I really can't stress how much of a non-issue it is in person. I know the pictures make my living room look small, but the distance from the TV to sitting position on the couch is ~11 ft. It's less than 3 ft vertical from where my head is to the center of the screen, which gives me an angle of ~15 degrees to the screen; barely above neutral sitting position. My couch also just happens to have a recline of ~20 degrees, so if you're lying back with your feet up on an ottoman (which I usually am), it's pretty much dead-center in your vision. I spent a lot of time making sure the ergonomics were right, or I would have gotten one of those mounts that lets you pull the TV down (probably motorized). Back problems run in my family, and my mom is an OT, so that was my first concern. It's also less intrusive than an ugly TV stand, IMO. All of the equipment is tucked away in the basement with wires in the walls, so all you see are the TV and the speakers. I also can't explain how amazing it is to watch one of my favorite movies with a classic wood fire roaring in the fireplace and a glass of scotch in my hand. :feelsgood:

I tried putting the TV in every conceivable location in the room. The only problem I have with the new TV where it is is that the center channel no longer fits. I've pretty much settled on building a shelf for it below the TV, but I want to do the least amount of irreversible modification to the fireplace as possible. I'm trying to decide whether anchoring to the wood or the brick would be better. I'm leaning towards wood because you can just putty the holes, but on the other hand, you can always repoint the brick.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

If you are making a shelf, you could attach it to the wall instead of the fireplace. Build it to drop down over the mantle. Seems like going into the brick will be hard and look bad if you take the shelf out, so I wouldn't do that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was just thinking that, actually. It would also give me a convenient way to hide the speaker wire.

I'm still undecided if it should go in front of the mantle or below it. Below would be trickier, but might look less out of place.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Back when I had a similar setup I put the center channel inside the fireplace.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

n.. posted:

Back when I had a similar setup I put the center channel inside the fireplace.

I hope it was made of asbestos...

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Well obviously you take it out if you're going to make a fire. It wasn't mounted or anything, just sitting there. You couldn't see it either with the metal curtain thing closed. A really simple solution, I'd recommend it if you don't use the fireplace constantly in the winter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've had several people suggest that. The problem is it's a wood burning fireplace and I really don't want my speaker covered in ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

KillHour posted:

I've had several people suggest that. The problem is it's a wood burning fireplace and I really don't want my speaker covered in ash.

So was mine, i just draped a piece of cloth over it to catch any ash that might fall from the flue :shrug: worked fine