Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
So, why would people upgrade to windows 10 for Star Citizen, since it apparently randomly uninstalls your programs with every update if it doesn't like the look of them.

If MS don't pull their finger out, they might not get to make dx12 a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

Counterpoint: it's pretty fun and will only get more fun please buy some ships with my referral code.

Seriously though, I've had my face pretty close to the bug-ridden mess for the last couple weeks, closer than most people in this thread, and I am just not feeling the pessimism about the technical side. Yeah the management is hilariously greedy and inept, no doubt, and a lot of the proposed mechanics are retarded, but the stuff that is actually in the game is pretty good. I truly do not give a poo poo if it is 64 or 32 bit- I can fly where I want in a big space sandbox and jump in and out of ships, and the rest is just semantics. They've made a decent foundation on which to build an actual game- the question on my mind is will they be able to deliver in the next year, or are they going to go dark after December and not pop up again until next Fall? I suspect, and this is really only a guess, that based on recent patches and communications we're out of whatever woods they were wandering in for most of 2015, and barring another bottom-up rewrite we'll probably be moving forward with content generation now.

I'll be happy to see this whole thing transition from lovely technical chat to lovely game chat. Maybe now that things have started crashing less I can check it out again; I tried for maybe half an hour a few days ago and between loading failures and crashing it was not a pleasant experience.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't know much about rendering pipelines- I am but a lowly business programmer and db administrator and all I know about DX I learned in a couple hour tutorial about how to make some moving boxes with Direct3D. So I don't really feel like I'm qualified to speak on the subject and I find the arguments on here pretty tedious.

But from my understanding, DX12 is a big performance booster for even moderately specced PC's and seems like it'd be worth moving to. It does sound like it could be a major rewrite, specifically because DX12 puts a lot of overhead work onto the programmer that was previously automated. The question is whether or not CryEngine is going to be that hard to upgrade- it was built as a multiplatform engine, and multiplatform code's always worked that way. Regardless, it's probably going to go to their Crytek guys and I can't imagine that they had a lot of other work at this point- it doesn't seem like putting them on this will block anything.

I can't really think of any other major rewrites they've done. And this isn't a shift like DNF- they're not switching architecture and they won't have to redo art assets. So I'm not quite ready to jump on the "Endless rewrites" bandwagon.

Oh, you mean like the fps stuff that got ripped out? Or the on-going 64-Bit fiasco which was a major amount of work? Or the netcode (which still sux)? Or the....wait, do you actually read their dev blogs? I do. And they've re-written a whole slew of crap since 2013.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ShredsYouSay posted:

So, why would people upgrade to windows 10 for Star Citizen, since it apparently randomly uninstalls your programs with every update if it doesn't like the look of them.

If MS don't pull their finger out, they might not get to make dx12 a thing.

I've been ignoring the update for a while but was considering updating sometime in the near future. What's this you're saying about it uninstalling programs? Can that poo poo be disabled?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

I guess the question is, why does this matter? I mean maybe from a developer standpoint it's interesting, but regardless- they've demonstrated the ability to load a world seamlessly, whether it's one zone or a bunch of smaller ones. Either way it isn't going to be the keystone in some towering body of evidence that they don't know what they're doing.

1) Because they're not telling the truth about how the world is constructed. Or they're deliberately avoiding the discussion. This is important because it is a material part of the game that was promised. If they were going to build and deliver a game the size of Stanton/Crusader, they could have done that with the original "vision 1.0" engine with ease. And for $20m or less.

2) No they haven't demonstrated that. Having a single and small (compared to the entire star map shown) zone loading and running, is not the same as loading and running the entire game world (which they have yet to build) promised. Don't get carried away.

In case you were somewhat confused, here - again - is my take (scroll to the end) on what they're doing; and why I believe that they will never - ever - deliver this game as promised.

TTerrible posted:

It's just another thing they've lied about. This stuff can be done, but they've done it how everyone else does it instead of the revolutionary everything-is-64bit they initially shouted about. We've argued about it long enough that the message has changed.

That's right.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 3, 2015

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

MeLKoR posted:

I've been ignoring the update for a while but was considering updating sometime in the near future. What's this you're saying about it uninstalling programs? Can that poo poo be disabled?

It's a new windows 10 feature

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Madcosby posted:

Just curious, why do you charge money for a game in development?

I don't. I charge for the privilege of having early access to a game in development.

And I tell people regularly not to buy it until it's finished. I don't need the money; because like all my games, the game is fully funded.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TTerrible posted:

• DSmart claims they're not doing global 64bit
  • DSmart and anyone who agrees with him are endlessly abused for not knowing what they're talking about
  • PTU 2.0 drops, dev interview agrees they're not doing global 64bit
  • YEAH WELL THE GAME WORKS WHY DOES IT MATTER SHUTUP

It's very, very frustrating when the narrative switches like this and it's a glaring example of how CIG can do no wrong at all in the eyes of the whales. This is going to happen every single time the official line by CIG is retconned.

Yes. And that's precisely how the narrative goes. They don't care if others are being shafted, as long as it comes from Derek Smart, gently caress it, all sensibility goes out the window for some of these fools.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I got bc3000ad with a pcgamer issue and played it way too much.

I haven't spent a cent in star citizen because unlike bc3000ad, a game doesn't exist.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Raskolnikov posted:

I am like 5,000 posts behind, but there should be a page like this for CIG dev posts:

http://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

Well you could just drop a corpus of text into a Markov chain bot or something. I may try this...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
New Around the Verse

Sorry if it's been posted- I'm on mobile and am not able to browse the thread ATM...

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

D_Smart posted:

But that doesn't stop wankers from making movies of LOD making fun of the bugs, quirks etc in a game that's still in development.

that's the entire point of this thread tho???

EDIT:

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

god forbid anyone make fun of the bugs in an in-development game

:ironicat:

gently caress

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiVODuGFCMg&t=2458s

I'm not sure lied is the right word, watching that again I more feel slightly deceived based on my lack of understanding of what's possible in the technology. It's clear to me now what he's referring to if you dig into it and read all the interviews but they definitely aren't highlighting the fact that they have a clever workaround not a complete solution to something that can't be solved yet. I understand why Derek would be annoyed as they spin everything though and doing it about game design probably irritates him more than a normal person.

On the other hand the fact they actually achieved what they set out to do in the cryengine is impressive, at least to me, but I likely have extremely low expectations. I was looking for a "this is a flat out scam" moment and 2.0 isn't that, it's the road you'd be on if you actually intended to make the base promised game, fly, space combat, eva, fps boarding, fly, no loading screens. All the other faults, problems and time issues are still there but the chances of seeing a game of some sort do appear to be a lot higher. They still obviously have a ton of work to do in new zone system within cryengine for AI, network load and DX 12 but if they've got this far I'd say it's unlikely more than impossible that they'll manage all that too.

The money issues, mismanagement and whatever other hidden drama is going on is obviously separate to all that.

I know you guys know that I don't run around trying to be right, and that I am man enough to own my mistakes. So let me say this, again.

1. This has more to do with them making claims that are false, than it is about my being right
  2. And part of those false claims are directly attributed to promises made for a game that they claim would be the BDSSE and ground breaking. From the looks of it, none of that is going happen. Because reality sucks
  3. And those promises made are directly attributed to obtaining funds in order to deliver on promises made
  4. You can't promise A, ask for $10, then deliver B. That's called fraudulent inducement. And puffery is mostly what croberts does. With impunity. For money.

And as per #3 above, each stretch goal was a promise made. And each came with money attached. And henceforth croberts method of getting money from backers (mostly whales now) is by making immediate promises which he is fully aware cannot be fulfilled.

Am I the only one who has a problem with this?

Again, think: Why did they single me out? I've never made a Triple-A game. My games have never had any level of success whereby something I say, has as much effect (or credibility) as say, David Braben or those other guys.

The reason is simple. After making these games for decades, they are well aware that I'm that one guy who knows wtf he's talking about and who will talk about it because I have no fear and because there are no consequences of my doing so since I don't rely on industry, publishers etc to fund and/or build my games. And nobody is going to fire me.

This whole project is a bullshit snow job. They will never finish it as promised. And if by some miracle they do happen to get to the point where croberts proclaims that he has "delivered", it will remain broken, not ground breaking and a game that could have been made for $20m or less. They get to enrich themselves, while wasting backer money on a pipe dream.

And if they hadn't singled me out, thus raising my already paranoid suspicious meter to +10, none of this would be happening.

The argument could be made for why do you care?. Simple, I don't like being made a scapegoat. Also this excerpt (culled from bottom of my Interstellar Breach blog)

quote:

EPILOGUE

In closing, those making noise about me being a jealous (that always cracks me up) competitor, here is something you can quote:

I have been involved in gaming for almost thirty years. My first game was released back in 1996 amid great controversy and derision that, after almost killing my game dev career before it even got started, sparked many an Internet flame war and urban legends.

Despite those shaky beginnings, I worked hard, got good at it, and to date, I have funded, developed and released over a dozen games across various IP. I started out as an indie, and did everything in my power to remain as such; even back when I had publishers for my earlier projects.

I have survived every single industry change, watched publishers and developers alike, come and go; but I am still here because I love this industry, love what I do and make no excuses or comprises for my involvement in it. My games have survived the years because I have a specific niche that I cater to. I have gamers who buy my games because they are fans, I tend not to lie to them, mislead them, or otherwise seek to exploit them in any way, shape or form.

So those of you trying to make this about me, while comparing (UPDATE: Fine, here you go) my still in development Line Of Defense game, which, aside from graphics fidelity, is far more advanced (scope, technology, features) than Star Citizen (which isn’t even as advanced as Universal Combat in scope or technology for that matter), are being foolish, misinformed, and petty. It’s a distraction that simply won’t work.

Further, the only common elements that both games have, is that they both have a space combat and fps components. Nothing else. You might as well compare football to basketball, just because there is a ball in play, and there are people running around in shorts.

I need not remind anyone that my game was in development as far back as 2010, and I backed Star Citizen in 2012, not knowing that this is where we would be today.

Aside from that, as I mentioned in my Interstellar Citizens blog, the success of these new and upcoming space games (Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, Into The Stars, Everspace et al), I thought would further strength the genre (which has seen a dearth of mainstream games in past years), and in turn, the market for my own games in the genre. Which is why I backed all of them, write about them on social media, blogs, forums etc. So why on Earth would I not want this game to succeed?!?!

Do I need to mention that my game is also free to play; and that upon completion, the barrier of entry is $0, which means that people can make up their own minds without me having to get into spats with a competitor? Not that there is anything remotely wrong with competitors getting into spats. Assuming you haven’t been in a coma through all the Microsoft v Sony, Apple v Samsung, Google v Everybody, spats, you probably already knew that. Heck, they even take out million dollar ads to throw shade on competing products. And it’s perfectly legal.

Not to mention the fact that, as an avid, hard-core gamer, I own every single PC space combat game ever made; and have a gaming library (here are some old pics from 2008 of some of them in a game room) of over 30K titles, with my legacy boxed ones currently stored in an expensive climate-controlled storage facility. And they are still there because, given the volume and the logistics involved, I haven’t gotten around to having them shipped to one of the two museums (one of which, The MADE, I helped fund on Kickstarter as 1-of-the-9) I was planning on donating them to.

So no, this discourse has nothing to do with my game or about being a competitor.

It has everything to do with a game I backed and which, prior to my first blog, I have always cheered on because I believed that they could pull it off. Precisely what I said in my first blog. It is with that same enthusiasm that I backed Elite Dangerous and the recent Everspace space combat games, and so many others.

Aside from this noise coming from me, how are my protests, questions about accountability, scope creep etc, that much different from so many that have gone on in the media, forums etc, since 2013, and which are still going on? Remember, I only started this during weekend of July 4th, 2015.

Had Chris Roberts and co not maintained a pattern of dishonesty, then when called out, foolishly singled me out, then went for broke and tried to silence me with the actions that they took, and which gave me a clear indication that they had something to hide, we would never have come this far.

Finally, in this legal action that I have now initiated, note that I haven’t asked for anything that benefits me in any, way, shape or form. This is not, and never was, about me nor my game.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 3, 2015

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

:words:

link to blog

:allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Wait wait wait, that was Steam's gently caress up? I thought you said you were doing a test weekend for the Starter kits. Isn't that what the dude said in the video "free to play for this weekend?"

Yeah, that was different. I document what happened over here: http://lodmmo.com/15-03-15-state-of-play/

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
In response to this:

Maintain your cynicism but trust CIG.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

Oh, you mean like the fps stuff that got ripped out? Or the on-going 64-Bit fiasco which was a major amount of work? Or the netcode (which still sux)? Or the....wait, do you actually read their dev blogs? I do. And they've re-written a whole slew of crap since 2013.

All I meant was they haven't been chasing console architecture changes a-la DNF. I don't do more than skim the megaposts surrounding SC development since about year one- I don't find them very interesting. If I did pore over them though, I would think twice before taking a developer's word on an in-development project as anything more than a maybe.

D_Smart posted:

1) Because they're not telling the truth about how the world is constructed. Or they're deliberately avoiding the discussion. This is important because it is a material part of the game that was promised. If they were going to build and deliver a game the size of Stanton/Crusader, they could have done that with the original "vision 1.0" engine with ease. And for $20m or less.

I guess the difference in our opinions is that I don't think they are delivering Stanton as a fait accompli here- it's just a test bed. There's nothing to indicate that the world won't be expanded many times over before release. Now if you're indicating that there's some evidence that this is as big as they ever intend to let the game world get- well, then I think you've got an interesting case that they are misleading people.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE7b7GmEpuI

Freelancer got a lot bigger. That cargo bay is cavernous now. I don't understand why all the new reskins are so much darker though. It's kind of a drag, the Constellation's so pitch black that it is hard to move around in the back.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Maybe not the best idea in light of Star Citizen's poor multi-threading.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3vb97f/psa_if_you_want_a_top_of_the_line_processor_wait/

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

All I meant was they haven't been chasing console architecture changes a-la DNF. I don't do more than skim the megaposts surrounding SC development since about year one- I don't find them very interesting. If I did pore over them though, I would think twice before taking a developer's word on an in-development project as anything more than a maybe.

I guess the difference in our opinions is that I don't think they are delivering Stanton as a fait accompli here- it's just a test bed. There's nothing to indicate that the world won't be expanded many times over before release. Now if you're indicating that there's some evidence that this is as big as they ever intend to let the game world get- well, then I think you've got an interesting case that they are misleading people.

More to the point. It's now end of 2015. The large world promised, is still non-existent. They've release a section that's 1/100 of what they promised. And for a game he claims is coming out in 2016. In fact, May 2016 to be exact, if they don't change the ToS again in 2016.

And let's not even get into the features promised.

And it's not just the world. I'm a game designer and developer. Everything in 2.0, compared to what was promised, tells me this is either 1) a came that's never going to complete because the will run out of money or 2) a game that, if they have the money, is another 2-3 years away.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

It just seems like a pointlessly pedantic and goofy thing to harp on. Even if those calling them out as lying are right, it doesn't matter- functionally the game has a large world with granular precision and that's all they were touting. I think it's far more likely that the middle school secretary that they hired to be their community manager just doesn't know what the hell he's talking about than that they are deliberately lying about something so esoteric as the precision of their floating point numbers.

I have now spent entirely too much time in my day defending a game from lovely people so I'll stop. But I would like to see us move back from arguing over minutia to funny posts.

i beleive In this case the minutia are of greater importance than usual, like how good mortar make the whole house keep on standing up.

I'm not a low level programmer (more like a mix of computer janitor and junior analyst, i clean up other people IT mess) but from what i gather, this whole 32 vs 64 debate is important because most of what they promised in the salespitch will be very, very hard to do (as in much $$$ and german man hours) and always a little bit tricky/unstable if they used the so called 32 bit "hack" to fake a large (as in 100+km) seamless world.

The whole precision thing might also mean long range fights will be impossible due to the enemy ship not really being where you see it, not counting for lag and other funny online MMO problems. If longer ranged fight are difficult for thechincal reasons, that would mean the whole thing will end up being ww2 fighter knifefights with a space skin, making slow turrets (and thus multicrew) pretty much a moot point and high velocity crashes a regular situation (look at any Warthunder vids )

The way i see it, Its like asking a contractor for a 1 metric ton bucket truck and crane to move 10 metric tons of gravel only having him show up with a thousand chinese workers with shovels, bamboo scaffolding and buckets. The gravel is indeed getting moved, but everything on the project will have to change to accomade the thousand new guys and your going to stumble on bits of broken shovels, bamboo spars and discarted buckets everywhere afterward.

Your posts are insightfull, well written and informative. Dont let a few trolls taking a piss stop you from sharing your experience with the sane people.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 3, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

aleksendr posted:

i beleive In this case the minutia are of greater importance than usual, like how good mortar make the whole house keep on standing up.

I'm not a low level programmer (more like a mix of computer janitor and junior analyst, i clean up other people IT mess) but from what i gather, this whole 32 vs 64 debate is important because most of what they promised in the salespitch will be very, very hard to do (as in much $$$ and german man hours) and always a little bit tricky/unstable if they used the so called 32 bit "hack" to fake a large (as in 100+km) seamless world.

The whole precision thing might also mean long range fights will be impossible due to the enemy ship not really being where you see it, not counting for lag and other funny online MMO problems. If longer ranged fight are difficult for thechincal reasons, that would mean the whole thing will end up being ww2 fighter knifefights with a space skin, making slow turrets (and thus multicrew) pretty much a moot point and high velocity crashes a regular situation (look at any Warthunder vids )

The way i see it, Its like asking a contractor for a 1 metric ton bucket truck and crane to move 10 metric ton of gravel only having him show up with a thousand chinese workers with shovels, bamboo scaffolding and buckets. The gravel is indeed getting moved, but everything on the project will have to change to accomade the thousand new guys and your going to stumble on bits of broken shovels, bamboo spars and discarted buckets everywhere afterward.

Your posts are insightfull, well written and informative. Dont let a few trolls taking a piss stop you from sharing your experience with the sane people.

^this

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, that was different. I document what happened over here: http://lodmmo.com/15-03-15-state-of-play/

I didn't realize there were two different free to play weekends I guess.

FYI though, that dude's video that started this whole thing was taken during the weekend of the purposeful F2P weekend test. Not that it matters, because it doesn't really change anything. I was just confused when you said it was Steam's fuckup because as I mentioned I didn't realize there were two.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Freelancer got a lot bigger. That cargo bay is cavernous now. I don't understand why all the new reskins are so much darker though. It's kind of a drag, the Constellation's so pitch black that it is hard to move around in the back.

I see they finally decided to add a door to the bridge, you know, like a sane person would. That thing actually looks pretty cool now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I'm the guy that buys a 3500$ Xeon E5-2687W v3 and then gets mad that it's not as good for playing games as a 350$ broadwell i7-5775

Also the solution to the problem of needing to convert 64bit to 32bit for rendering work is obviously to just wait till two generations of video cards down the line when we have Volta cards with 7-10 tflops of DP performance and don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Duh.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 3, 2015

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Octopode can you please try to defend the statement that they need to charge for changing ship hulls because updating a database row causes too much schmeg? Also be sure to address the fact that they are planning an entire persistant universe without charging a monthly fee.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 3, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

I get a vibe closer to Fallout than "alien integrated space ship" but it definitely looks significantly improved.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
If Alpha 2.0 is a proper foundation for the rest of the SC universe, I have to imagine they would be able to graft on the already completed social module location pretty easily. Has CIG mentioned doing this anytime soon, or what it is that's preventing them from doing it?

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Excellent. More place to stoaway and abduct the crew while they are on the space toilet. I want an option to hide in an equipement locker or as a cargo box, forcing pilots to inspect the ship room by room and crate by crate before lift-off.

"Look at me, I'm the captain now !"

GreenLight
Apr 5, 2014

Can I keep his head for a souvenir ?

aleksendr posted:

that would mean the whole thing will end up being ww2 fighter knifefights with a space skin

thats what they want tho ?

also i get a "mummy they lied to me !" vibe which i find funny, since you once must have believed to be mad at it

every sane person knew that they sold dreams that may or may not stay dreams. Promises ... really .. lol

GreenLight fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 3, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MeLKoR posted:

When you upgrade Windows, it will remove programs known to have incompatibilities that are a big cause of BSODs. Microsoft just isn't that good at identifying which versions are bad. The problem was that upgrading from Win10 RTM to 1511 caused the removal to happen again, this time without notice (upgrading from 7/8/8.1 to 10 will list the programs it will remove).

It was mainly stuff like CPU-Z, Speccy, some Intel raid drivers, Cisco VPN stuff, etc. It will tell you what it removed so you can download it again.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

GreenLight posted:

thats what they want tho ?

also i get a "mummy they lied to me !" vibe which i find funny, since you once must have believed to be mad at it.

He invested in the initial Kickstarters so I presume that would be the case.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Jew posted:

If Alpha 2.0 is a proper foundation for the rest of the SC universe, I have to imagine they would be able to graft on the already completed social module location pretty easily. Has CIG mentioned doing this anytime soon, or what it is that's preventing them from doing it?

It would require there to be a planet for people to travel to and land on. I know we saw the demo of them landing a few years ago so who knows how far off it could be.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It would require there to be a planet for people to travel to and land on. I know we saw the demo of them landing a few years ago so who knows how far off it could be.

Since all the landings are automated I'd assume it's gotta be pretty close. Basically get close enough to a planet to trigger the "Do you want to land" button to pop up and then just ride the rails down to ArcCorp or whatever.

e: my guess is that it's something they will hold off on until they have the art assets in place (landing pads and whatnot) and until they are pretty sure they can add it without the netcode making GBS threads itself to death.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

I didn't realize there were two different free to play weekends I guess.

FYI though, that dude's video that started this whole thing was taken during the weekend of the purposeful F2P weekend test. Not that it matters, because it doesn't really change anything. I was just confused when you said it was Steam's fuckup because as I mentioned I didn't realize there were two.

Yeah, my bad. I didn't even look at the video because I already know that there are few which just poke fun at the project. I just assumed that it was one of those.

And yes, it happened twice. In Sep 2014 was a snafu on Steam's part when we first put it up on Early Access. And in 03/15 we made it free for a period of time as that was the only way for us to test the Steam account, login, entitlements etc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Since all the landings are automated I'd assume it's gotta be pretty close. Basically get close enough to a planet to trigger the "Do you want to land" button to pop up and then just ride the rails down to ArcCorp or whatever.

e: my guess is that it's something they will hold off on until they have the art assets in place (landing pads and whatnot) and until they are pretty sure they can add it without the netcode making GBS threads itself to death.

The landing pads are already there if they just make people fly into their hangars (well at least the ones that aren't asteroid hangars, although you could just shrug and say gently caress YOUR IMMERSION). But yeah there's probably a lot of content that has to be generated before that's really viable.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

aleksendr posted:

WW2 knife fights was always the intention. Long range combat was never in the plan. Guns ranges top out at 3 km if I remember Correctly.

High velocity crashes will also probably be a common occurrence, if Arena Commander is anything to go by. Slow turrets and Multicrew however are not moot because the combat maneuver speed is incredibly slow by space standards, 300 ms or less. Plenty slow for manually aiming the guns on your craft. The more interesting discussion is "why would I never want to travel in anything other that cruise mode and just run away from everything." and skip combat altogether.

So whining about the particulars if there are still using 32 bit for camera relative positioning for rendering is moot, who cares. Its not worth the performance or memory hit to be able to precisely draw an object that the player will never see or interact with. Large Objects that you can actually see 10+ km away aren't player controlled and are stationary.

The only thing that remains to be proved is if it really is possible to manually fly from point A to point B at 1000 ms for 60+ hours. Which eventually someone will do when the game is more stable or someone does the private server hack.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Nalin posted:

When you upgrade Windows, it will remove programs known to have incompatibilities that are a big cause of BSODs. Microsoft just isn't that good at identifying which versions are bad. The problem was that upgrading from Win10 RTM to 1511 caused the removal to happen again, this time without notice (upgrading from 7/8/8.1 to 10 will list the programs it will remove).

It was mainly stuff like CPU-Z, Speccy, some Intel raid drivers, Cisco VPN stuff, etc. It will tell you what it removed so you can download it again.

That is a classic MS move right there "here you don't need this." Right along the lines of force-upgrading people's PCs to Win10 overnight and calling it an accident. They really think they just own the loving world.

I had a coworker get his Exchange account shutdown by MS earlier today. This is a corporate O365 account and Microsoft just waltzed in and shut his account down because he was sending "spam" aka test emails because he's a sysadmin.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
From "Around the Verse": Tom Johnson at Foundry 42

quote:

Hello and welcome to Manchester UK, My name is Tom, Senior Producer, I’m going to give you guys a quick update about what’s going on here in the UK. Now over the last three months the team have been ramping up massively so, since September, just to give you an idea of things, we’ve hired over 20 new starters since early September, so the team is growing rapidly, and we’ve hired six new environment artists join us, four new QA testers, helping us make sure the build is good and stable for you guys before sending it out, and we also have four vehicle artists working on the spaceships that we’ve got going on, and we’ve got a lighting artists, a new tech artist, a tech designer, and also a game support representative and a Customer sales representative, just to make sure you guys are being well communicated with.
These don't sound like the actions of a company with a cash crisis.

As we weigh the credibility of various the allegations of anonymous employees and ex-employees (laundered through The Escapist and Derek's blog), I think the "there's only $8M left in the bank!" rumors of a couple of months ago need to be downgraded to "highly unlikely" status. I'm not inclined to be believe they were true when aired, even if "insiders" passed them along. They certainly are not true now.

The cash engine still works, even if not as efficiently as it once did, even if they had a bad summer. And it very well might get them, in the next 18 months, to the $150 million that Derek has repeatedly stated would be the minimum necessary to complete the game as sold.

Just figured I'd through that out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Have they gone all in on a capital ship/spaceship carrier design yet? I'm surprised if they haven't with all the space armada bullshit people are touting.

• Locked thread