Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It's about using as many resources as possible for a solution that can be solved with 'yum install rsyslog' and grep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Can someone write some words about why you would ever want to use a software router/firewall like BIRD or vyOS instead of a hardware Cisco or Juniper product?

I'd imagine upfront cost, expected load and need of manufacturer support are the main motivators.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

Can someone write some words about why you would ever want to use a software router/firewall like BIRD or vyOS instead of a hardware Cisco or Juniper product?

I'd imagine upfront cost, expected load and need of manufacturer support are the main motivators.
Using a virtual router makes DR a lot easier.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't have an issue using a firewall virtual appliance as long as it was being deployed into a stable environment. You can back them up with whatever you currently back VMs up with, easily deploy a fresh image and move configuration across for larger software updates, and take an exact clone for diagnostic purposes without having to work in a maintenance window or risk causing service interruptions.

On your manufacturer support point, loads of the large vendors are doing virtual appliances now - Juniper have vSRX, F5 do virtual appliances, Palo Alto do etc. It's not a choice between big vendor hardware with support contract or virtual appliance with community support.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 29, 2015

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Software routers can also have a better price/performance ratio for certain tasks that require a lot of control plane resources, such as a route server with many full views or complex filters.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Methanar posted:

I usually come across software firewalls and routers at customers who were too cheap to spring for even a Ubiquiti or Mikrotik and have suffered for it. It's far more common in organizations that have no network engineering team and dump the task on sysadmins. That's not to say there aren't other use cases, but that's probably by far and away the most common one. The other major one is when you're setting up a jump box or SSH proxy to a secured enclave and are running IPTables for an added layer of security on the proxy itself.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It would depend on the throughput that you're looking for through the firewall, and the featureset.

A lot of our customers seem to want to just paste a firewall in as their router, which does little, but then ram 1, 2,+ GBps through it using it as an ACL.

Depending on your appliance provisioning costs it may be easier to get them to barf up for the hardware and license and let that do its thing instead of letting it chew up your VM cluster resources.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Methanar posted:

I do a lot of QoS by IP source/destination since I can't really control layer-2 100% of the time. The cost of fully redundant Cisco or Juniper core could be as high as 10x more than a comparable cluster of (effectively disposable) soft routers.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Methanar posted:

There are some interesting notes by Google or about Google or Facebook somewhere. Basically Cisco are completely unable to solve their network issues for any amount of money, and you know if they could it would be not even remotely financially viable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Google and Facebook design their own network hardware for their data centers.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

psydude posted:

Google and Facebook design their own network hardware for their data centers.

That's not -entirely- true. They're still buying normal (huge) switches etc, but they don't bother with much of the processing/routing capabilities of those units since they're writing their own routing engines and farming it off to much cheaper x86 commodity processing.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Don't forget about modifying routing tables by external programs. Think of anti-ddos applications and related apps that need to inject routes into bgp and the like.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Like anything else it's usually way easier to just scale way over your application requirements when you can. Unfortunately, not everything in the field of data networking scales well, adapts in a timely manner, or is readily distributable.

Unfortunately for legacy designs, the "throw a bigger pipe at it" idea no longer always works.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CrazyLittle posted:

That's not -entirely- true. They're still buying normal (huge) switches etc, but they don't bother with much of the processing/routing capabilities of those units since they're writing their own routing engines and farming it off to much cheaper x86 commodity processing.

Yeah. They still use a lot of Cisco and Juniper at the edge and at their PoPs (and I'd imagine for their corporate networks). Their internal DC stuff is a lot of home baked stuff running crazy rear end SDN poo poo.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

psydude posted:

Yeah. They still use a lot of Cisco and Juniper at the edge and at their PoPs (and I'd imagine for their corporate networks). Their internal DC stuff is a lot of home baked stuff running crazy rear end SDN poo poo.

https://gigaom.com/2014/11/14/facebook-shows-the-promise-of-sdn-with-new-networking-tech/

Yeah this clears things right up.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I've been out of the networking game for a while but that might make more sense if you look up "spine leaf topology". Usually you hear it alongside TRILL or any of the other new attempts at making STP obsolete -- the 'short version' I got from some quick reading was that you basically take IS-IS and tone it way down and run it at layer 2 and you keep all of a logically significant section of layer 2 at full mesh. I think cisco's implementation of this is called FabricPath or similar, and people generally refer to full mesh layer 2 as "fabric" because it's a lot of links, sort of like fabric.

My old boss was pretty excited about it as a storage engineer because apparently layer 2 hops are pretty expensive when you're running really dense VM clusters, and especially moving VMs around and poo poo. The idea with spine leaf was to minimize layer 2 hops between virtualization resources and storage to increase performance. I think. It's not really my job anymore and even when it was it's gated behind hardware purchases, so it was never worth considering. Maybe someone else can elaborate or correct me here.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
You're close, but TRILL/FabricPath are being phased out in favor of VXLAN.

Full mesh is out though, spine/leaf is supposed to provide the ability to scale east/west traffic without needing a full mesh. At this point "fabric" usually refers to spine/leaf with VXLAN/FabricPath/TRILL running.

What is means for most of us is that Cisco will roll in and try to sell 6 switches instead of the 2 you actually need.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Reiz posted:

I've been out of the networking game for a while but that might make more sense if you look up "spine leaf topology". Usually you hear it alongside TRILL or any of the other new attempts at making STP obsolete -- the 'short version' I got from some quick reading was that you basically take IS-IS and tone it way down and run it at layer 2 and you keep all of a logically significant section of layer 2 at full mesh. I think cisco's implementation of this is called FabricPath or similar, and people generally refer to full mesh layer 2 as "fabric" because it's a lot of links, sort of like fabric.

My old boss was pretty excited about it as a storage engineer because apparently layer 2 hops are pretty expensive when you're running really dense VM clusters, and especially moving VMs around and poo poo. The idea with spine leaf was to minimize layer 2 hops between virtualization resources and storage to increase performance. I think. It's not really my job anymore and even when it was it's gated behind hardware purchases, so it was never worth considering. Maybe someone else can elaborate or correct me here.

Actually a lot of the newer stuff ends up running BGP with VXLAN. Here's a paper on a Cisco implementation: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/guide-c07-734107.html

Fabricpath/QFabric/TRILL/Whatever Brocade's fabric is called have basically been obsoleted by encapsulating L2 into L3. The Cisco 9k line is a perfect example of this and I think even the 7k supports VXLAN these days. I like to think of Fabricpath as the Sony Minidisk in an era of MP3 (VXLAN, NV-GRE, and STT). Sure, minidisc is more convenient than LPs and tape but now I can carry a billion songs on a mobile phone so who gives a poo poo.

FabricPath itself actually uses a custom frame which basically stuffs a standard ethernet frame into a FabricPath frame with it's own loop prevention/forwarding behavior.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Eh. It's not absurdly complex, but it is non intuitive. I'm at a large ad-tech company and we have a similar topology (that I designed) 2x40g tor uplinks, with the ability to scale to 4. If we exceeded 100 Hadoop pods of 120 servers each we'd redesign to run bgp, currently at 40.

Look up clos fabrics and its mathematically the best way to do a datacenter made up of hundred of thousands of nodes.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm dealing with an old-rear end Cisco ASA 5520 (not the -X series, the originals). My boss wants me to update it to the latest software, but it's so drat old it has the original 64MB flash card which only has room for one OS image and one ASDM image. Is it safe to delete the images from a running system, copy over the new ones, update the config, and reload? I'd assume they're already loaded into RAM, but don't really want to test this in production.

Either way I'm going to recommend that we just buy a larger flash card, since YOLOing with no rollback possible sounds awful. But I want to present him with all of the options.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 3, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Docjowles posted:

I'm dealing with an old-rear end Cisco ASA 5520 (not the -X series, the originals). My boss wants me to update it to the latest software, but it's so drat old it has the original 64MB flash card which only has room for one OS image and one ASDM image. Is it safe to delete the images from a running system, copy over the new ones, update the config, and reload? I'd assume they're already loaded into RAM, but don't really want to test this in production.

Either way I'm going to recommend that we just buy a larger flash card, since YOLOing with no rollback possible sounds awful. But I want to present him with all of the options.

9.1(6) has some specific RAM and flash requirements. You'll probably have to upgrade both.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/product_bulletin_c25-586414.html

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Powercrazy posted:

Eh. It's not absurdly complex, but it is non intuitive. I'm at a large ad-tech company and we have a similar topology (that I designed) 2x40g tor uplinks, with the ability to scale to 4. If we exceeded 100 Hadoop pods of 120 servers each we'd redesign to run bgp, currently at 40.

Look up clos fabrics and its mathematically the best way to do a datacenter made up of hundred of thousands of nodes.

Yeah, at that point the most complex part just seems to be "how do I display this on paper?"

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Somehow the box already has 2GB of RAM. And is already on 9.1(1). It just has this tiny-rear end CF card so I can't upgrade further. I'm guessing whatever VAR we bought it from years ago flashed it up for us using an external card and then pulled it after delivery or something.

code:
# show memory
Free memory:        2199937224 bytes (82%)
Used memory:         484417336 bytes (18%)
-------------     ------------------
Total memory:       2684354560 bytes (100%)
#
# show flash
--#--  --length--  -----date/time------  path
   98  27260928    Mar 14 2013 13:30:32  asa911-k8.bin
   99  23374256    May 17 2014 15:11:30  asdm-716.bin
   11  2048        Mar 14 2013 13:36:56  log
   22  2048        Mar 14 2013 13:37:06  crypto_archive
   23  2048        Mar 14 2013 13:37:14  coredumpinfo
   24  59          Mar 14 2013 13:37:14  coredumpinfo/coredump.cfg
  100  196         Mar 14 2013 13:37:14  upgrade_startup_errors_201303141737.log
  102  200         Mar 20 2013 15:01:06  upgrade_startup_errors_201303201901.log
  103  2048        Aug 15 2014 10:05:04  tmp

62904320 bytes total (11804672 bytes free)
#
# show disk1:

%Error show disk1: (No such device)
#
# show version

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.1(1)
Device Manager Version 7.1(6)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You could buy a bigger CF card for about $12 and throw both images and the configs on there. I've done that for customers before.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Docjowles posted:

You could go with replacing the image on the card, and use ROMMON recovery if something goes awry.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

psydude posted:

You could buy a bigger CF card for about $12 and throw both images and the configs on there. I've done that for customers before.

This is the plan. You can just use any rando CF card, it doesn't have to be a ~~~CISCO CERTIFIED~~~ $500 256MB one, right?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Docjowles posted:

This is the plan. You can just use any rando CF card, it doesn't have to be a ~~~CISCO CERTIFIED~~~ $500 256MB one, right?

I bought a handful of them off ebay to cover the few Cisco routers we have running. Had one of the old 64mb ones poo poo the bed on me.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Docjowles posted:

Yep, basically.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah, at that point the most complex part just seems to be "how do I display this on paper?"

Or more germane, how do I display link utilization for our NOC...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Docjowles posted:

Somehow the box already has 2GB of RAM. And is already on 9.1(1). It just has this tiny-rear end CF card so I can't upgrade further. I'm guessing whatever VAR we bought it from years ago flashed it up for us using an external card and then pulled it after delivery or something.

code:
# show memory
Free memory:        2199937224 bytes (82%)
Used memory:         484417336 bytes (18%)
-------------     ------------------
Total memory:       2684354560 bytes (100%)
#
# show flash
--#--  --length--  -----date/time------  path
   98  27260928    Mar 14 2013 13:30:32  asa911-k8.bin
   99  23374256    May 17 2014 15:11:30  asdm-716.bin
   11  2048        Mar 14 2013 13:36:56  log
   22  2048        Mar 14 2013 13:37:06  crypto_archive
   23  2048        Mar 14 2013 13:37:14  coredumpinfo
   24  59          Mar 14 2013 13:37:14  coredumpinfo/coredump.cfg
  100  196         Mar 14 2013 13:37:14  upgrade_startup_errors_201303141737.log
  102  200         Mar 20 2013 15:01:06  upgrade_startup_errors_201303201901.log
  103  2048        Aug 15 2014 10:05:04  tmp

62904320 bytes total (11804672 bytes free)
#
# show disk1:

%Error show disk1: (No such device)
#
# show version

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.1(1)
Device Manager Version 7.1(6)

If the hardware meets the requirements for the image, you can delete the old one while its running and load the new one on. Highly recommended to be console cabled. Make triple sure your hardware is strong enough or woe be unto you.

Does it have a second cf card slot? If so you can load another image to that card and boot to it.

Oh andif it needed to be said, you have to reload the ASA to use the new image. Plan downtime of five minutes minimum.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 3, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know that this fits here, but I just configured (in GNS3) a super basic, statically-routed network with 3 routers and VCPCs as the end-points. 10.0.0.0/30 for "WAN" links, 192.168.x.x as the various endpoint networks.

Seeing those pings gradually start working regardless of their destination as I configured routes on all the individual routers was so rewarding. I saved my project in GNS3 planning to go back into it, which requires you to shut down all devices. Went back into it later, and none of my interfaces are working.

Forgot to do copy running-config startup-config. Oops. Rite of passage? Oh well, get to do it all over again and maybe this time I'll use OSPF. My biggest mistake in studying for CCNA was not getting lab'ing stuff sooner.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I don't know that this fits here, but I just configured (in GNS3) a super basic, statically-routed network with 3 routers and VCPCs as the end-points. 10.0.0.0/30 for "WAN" links, 192.168.x.x as the various endpoint networks.

Seeing those pings gradually start working regardless of their destination as I configured routes on all the individual routers was so rewarding. I saved my project in GNS3 planning to go back into it, which requires you to shut down all devices. Went back into it later, and none of my interfaces are working.

Forgot to do copy running-config startup-config. Oops. Rite of passage? Oh well, get to do it all over again and maybe this time I'll use OSPF. My biggest mistake in studying for CCNA was not getting lab'ing stuff sooner.

There are many rites of passage. Just typing "copy run start" and closing your Putty window when your particular box actually wants "write mem" is a personal favorite (show cli history caught this one!). Also "switchport trunk allowed vlan x add".

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I'm guilty of switchport trunk allowed vlan add x. Best part is I was working from home and my internet service went down right afterward, so I spent the next 5 minutes furiously racking my brain and trying to figure out how dropping the other vlans would sever my connection and pondering just how bad of an outage I had just caused.

Then my boss calls me and tells me we've lost connectivity on every VM on whatever host that port was attached to, probably the least appropriate "oh, good!" I've ever said.

I had just finished doing the exact same thing to 11 other ports because I wasn't allowed to use rancid for that job and was just flying through with tab autocomplete. Don't be like me.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Reiz posted:

I'm guilty of switchport trunk allowed vlan add x.

I really need to get around to implementing do_auth on our tacacs servers, to force the use of add/remove through command authorization.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

madsushi posted:

Also "switchport trunk allowed vlan x add".

Reiz posted:

I'm guilty of switchport trunk allowed vlan add x.

wait, what platform/version is that? Looking through my config repo I'm seeing nothing but the latter syntax. "trunk allowed vlan add ###"

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
You haven't lived until you've rommon confreged and forgotten the 0x...

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Methanar posted:

There's actually at least one virtual router that Cisco makes itself:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-9000-series-aggregation-services-routers/datasheet-c78-734034.html

I saw a presentation about this that I probably should have paid more attention to but I recall one of the use cases being "we want all the same features and CLI, but don't need the same scale/performance numbers that a physical box would provide."

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Virtual routing within a virtual host actually increases throughput to the speed of the host's backplane. Try doing iperf between adjacent VMs for a good laugh.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

CrazyLittle posted:

wait, what platform/version is that? Looking through my config repo I'm seeing nothing but the latter syntax. "trunk allowed vlan add ###"

NX-OS / Nexus. I think it is "trunk allowed vlan add x"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Reiz posted:

I'm guilty of switchport trunk allowed vlan add x. Best part is I was working from home and my internet service went down right afterward, so I spent the next 5 minutes furiously racking my brain and trying to figure out how dropping the other vlans would sever my connection and pondering just how bad of an outage I had just caused.

Then my boss calls me and tells me we've lost connectivity on every VM on whatever host that port was attached to, probably the least appropriate "oh, good!" I've ever said.

I had just finished doing the exact same thing to 11 other ports because I wasn't allowed to use rancid for that job and was just flying through with tab autocomplete. Don't be like me.

In my last job I worked with Fortigates a lot and built up a significant amount of FortiOS muscle memory. This is hazardous because you get used to typing sh whilst in config mode which on FortiOS shows the running configuration within your current context. Of course doing the same thing on IOS in interface config mode leads to hilarious results.