Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

comatose posted:

How much backer (investor) money did they spend to get that spot on the video game award show thing?

I actually know how much, but I am NDA'd against saying it. (only cuz I have seen the Game Awards pitch deck)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Come back Karl

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf4zCCjBwOA

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Laggy Mocap Animation Reel Gameplay Trailer!

I'm sure you noticed it said playable now!

But!

quote:

Hey everybody,

I wanted to address confusion about the AC2.0 trailer. I know that the line about everything being playable in Alpha 2.0 had some backers excited thinking that Alpha 2.0 had gone live, or that it is about to go live tomorrow. Unfortunately, that is not the case! We are really sorry for folks mislead by that card, and so I’d like to explain exactly what happened.

What happened? We had an opportunity to get the 2.0 trailer exposed to a much bigger audience, but that required our turning in the trailer a while ago. At the time, we were on track to have 2.0 on the live servers by today or tomorrow. Unfortunately, as folks testing and observing know, we were hit with a slowdown bug that seemed to come out of nowhere. (For those not following the testing chatter, that’s why you haven’t see a PTU build in the last two days.) Knowing what we do now, we would have liked to have changed the exact wording on the trailer. Unfortunately, it was locked in well before the event.

So to be clear: Star Citizen 2.0 is not live for everyone yet. It’s currently available on the Public Test Universe (PTU) for the first 110,000 Citizens. An increasing number of folks have been helping us test builds for the past week, and everyone involved can attest to the fact that we’ve been doing some serious bug squashing. For now, Arena Commander 1.3 (and the Hangar and Social Modules) are available for everyone. We’re running a ‘free fly’ right now, so anyone who registers for an account can try out single-seat dogfighting, racing, Vanduul Swarm and more.

The plan is to roll out Alpha 2.0 to the live server as soon as we’ve resolved the current blockers. A whole lot of backer test pilots are helping make that a reality, and we will keep everyone updated as it happens. Keep watching the Comm-Link, enjoy free access to 1.3 for now and we’ll have Alpha 2.0 out to everyone as soon as it’s ready to go.

Ben

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I hope his fat rear end chokes on a blocker.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Daztek posted:

But!

Well that is just embarrassing...

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I actually know how much, but I am NDA'd against saying it. (only cuz I have seen the Game Awards pitch deck)

lies. Croberts put money into you with his own fists didnt he?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Woah, is it opposite day?

These threads are both fairly negative:

Did the commercial just say "Playable Now with Alpha 2.0"?

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 Gameplay Trailer

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Apparently this alpha 2.0 trailer was also presented in last nights (last night for my timezone anyway) The Game Awards 2015 . Didn't catch it live, but the youtube channel for the event has the video titled as "world premiere".
Not sure what they were going for with that one. I mean they clearly must have known that this cannot be good promotional material for a game, even if it's "actual gameplay".
So, they either don't care or ...?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Playable now but not really. Perhaps two weeks.

Looks like CIGs back on the menu boys.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

That loving Ben Lesnick linked in that second one...

"It's not false advertising, it's just that the statements in the advertisement aren't technically 100% true right now, no biggie"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:gary: :lol::lol::lol:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Rudager posted:

That loving Ben Lesnick linked in that second one...

"It's not false advertising, it's just that the statements in the advertisement aren't technically 100% true right now, no biggie"

Is this the final proof we needed that everything Ben Lesnick says is the complete opposite of true?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I was watching the live stream of the games award and saw CR looked nervous as hell while Mark Hamill owned the stage.

It was late and I could've been seeing things.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:ohdear:

Couldn't take it anymore, got a refund.

quote:

Its always going to be hard leaving a cult that I helped to build - But it was time to do it.

Not only has the game changed, but so has the community. Its hard to watch the transition between "tech savvy people with a bit of money to invest in a fun project" into "hypemachine! - you are not valid unless you invest, and subsequently don't complain"

It is a shame that CR has not been able to admit to himself that he couldn't handle this, and I promise - this is the same goddamn problem every single one of us have, role delegation, letting someone else take over, when we don't have the time/skills to do it anymore.

So, assets are getting done, redone, changed, people jump off, new guys come in, hype online, the name that shouldn't be mentioned, grey market crashing, 2.0 another disappointment, this feels like a DEMO cd from the front of a magazine in the drat 90's... AAAARRRH......

Silence. . . .I had had enough. This project's direction is lost within itself.

I had tried to sell my stuff, so that CIG could keep the money I had invested, but, I couldn't even get half of what I had invested. So, I decided to just mail CIG and ask them for my money back. And they gave it to me. I wasn't angry, I wasn't rude, I just gave the person handling my transaction the relevant info so they could do their job without drama, and they gave it to me. Because that's how things work when you make another persons job easy for them. (note to self CR)

And you know what... I am happy.

No, that was a lie... I feel relieved. I got my money back - those (hundreds of billions of gazillions of)* dollars that I can use, to buy actual games, Help others over Christmas (in Sweden we have many homeless refugees fleeing a war in Syria), or even upgrade my own system. It doesn't feel like I got taken for a ride anymore.

I want to thank you all though.. I will miss those days of compete immersion, where we all just escaped into a world of Adventure and Discovery. The beast is different these days for me though.

Have an awesome holiday over Christmas and New Year!!!!
/me

*Q. why does the amount of money I invested make my opinion any more... or even less, valid to you personally?(you don't need to tell us all....)

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Is it just me or does the trailer never show more than 4 or 5 seconds of continuous footage from the same scene?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Kegslayer posted:

Is it just me or does the trailer never show more than 4 or 5 seconds of continuous footage from the same scene?

They probably crashed.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
AROUND MY ARSE Episode 'Who cares'

Ben:' We are nearly finished on our TV set here. Maybe we should call it studio 42 or something '

What the holy gently caress is this poo poo. Building a TV set. Why, loving why why why why. Your supposed to be making a game with the money that people have given you.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

:smug: HEH nice try goonAILURES! case you didn't know, Chris Roberts' trailer said that 2.0 is playable, and that everything is good, so why don't you just :frogout:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Like clockwork, the upvoted reply in that reddit thread is "guess not everyone is fit to invest, weak hands to strong, baby! "

*is tens of thousands of dollars in debt for a buggy-as-poo poo alpha 4 years in the making*

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Rudager posted:

Sure, if you ignore the rapid descent up until October and November.

Even the truest of the true believer whales won't buy jpegs with no game indefinitely.

If you're trying to predict out what will happen for laughs I wouldn't ignore anything. Next month we'll be able to compare December 2015 to 2014.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

EightAce posted:

AROUND MY ARSE Episode 'Who cares'

Ben:' We are nearly finished on our TV set here. Maybe we should call it studio 42 or something '

What the holy gently caress is this poo poo. Building a TV set. Why, loving why why why why. Your supposed to be making a game with the money that people have given you.

Well Star Citizen is a full fledged content creator now.

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0467761/?ref_=tt_dt_co
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3829948/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3472850/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Reality TV. We're all playing Star Citizen now. Its like "Where On Earth Is Carmen Sandiego.".

One might want to wonder what the bill was to CIG from Gemini 42.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

EightAce posted:

Sandi's orders? She's going to get on TV by hook or by crook.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Sandi's orders? She's going to get on TV by hook or by crook.

It will be pay per view next just watch

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

EightAce posted:

It will be pay per view next just watch

Subscribers only.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

no_recall posted:

Subscribers only.

Million Mile High Club only.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

notoriousman posted:

Like clockwork, the upvoted reply in that reddit thread is "guess not everyone is fit to invest, weak hands to strong, baby! "

*is tens of thousands of dollars in debt for a buggy-as-poo poo alpha 4 years in the making*

It's scary how the cult of SC will worship literally ANYTHING that is released. At this point it doesn't matter how lovely the game is, or how incredibly dated it looks, or that it doesn't have even a fraction of promised features. To them it will be the greatest game ever. When you are that heavily invested in money, time and emotion, you have to delude yourself into thinking it was all worth it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I remember Derek mentioning he filed his lawsuit a couple days ago.

Any bets on how much of the money collected from insane people Christ Robot will squander on defending himself?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Daztek posted:

But!

quote:

Hey everybody,

I wanted to address confusion about the AC2.0 trailer. I know that the line about everything being playable in Alpha 2.0 had some backers excited thinking that Alpha 2.0 had gone live, or that it is about to go live tomorrow. Unfortunately, that is not the case! We are really sorry for folks mislead by that card, and so I’d like to explain exactly what happened.

What happened? We had an opportunity to get the 2.0 trailer exposed to a much bigger audience, but that required our turning in the trailer a while ago. At the time, we were on track to have 2.0 on the live servers by today or tomorrow. Unfortunately, as folks testing and observing know, we were hit with a slowdown bug that seemed to come out of nowhere. (For those not following the testing chatter, that’s why you haven’t see a PTU build in the last two days.) Knowing what we do now, we would have liked to have changed the exact wording on the trailer. Unfortunately, it was locked in well before the event.

So to be clear: Star Citizen 2.0 is not live for everyone yet. It’s currently available on the Public Test Universe (PTU) for the first 110,000 Citizens. An increasing number of folks have been helping us test builds for the past week, and everyone involved can attest to the fact that we’ve been doing some serious bug squashing. For now, Arena Commander 1.3 (and the Hangar and Social Modules) are available for everyone. We’re running a ‘free fly’ right now, so anyone who registers for an account can try out single-seat dogfighting, racing, Vanduul Swarm and more.

The plan is to roll out Alpha 2.0 to the live server as soon as we’ve resolved the current blockers. A whole lot of backer test pilots are helping make that a reality, and we will keep everyone updated as it happens. Keep watching the Comm-Link, enjoy free access to 1.3 for now and we’ll have Alpha 2.0 out to everyone as soon as it’s ready to go.

Ben

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

I remember Derek mentioning he filed his lawsuit a couple days ago.

Any bets on how much of the money collected from insane people Christ Robot will squander on defending himself?

Source your quotes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Source your quotes.

My memory.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Libluini posted:

My memory.

Unable to comply.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So I've been trying to download the PTU patch for several days now but every time my PC reboots for a Windows update or something, the download restarts. From scratch. I have 5 Mbps DSL line and this is a 29+ GB download. How hard is it to cache the content you already downloaded? For gently caress's sake.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Why is your PC rebooting itself every few days? Madness.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Coming soon, the ultimate spaceship: A fighter with 4 sub-machine guns attached.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

This has to be a field day for PROF. DR. REV. D_SMart

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Will there be a separate crowdfunding page/site/drive for the legal defense?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

If that cheap AMD bundle works on the baby poop I am gonna go through the hassle of downloading it because shooting spaceships from the ground with machineguns looks hilarious. Also, ramming.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Furism posted:

So I've been trying to download the PTU patch for several days now but every time my PC reboots for a Windows update or something, the download restarts. From scratch. I have 5 Mbps DSL line and this is a 29+ GB download. How hard is it to cache the content you already downloaded? For gently caress's sake.

Don't bother, when they release a patch you get to download most of it again due to how the cryengine .pak files work :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Eldragon posted:

The more interesting discussion is "why would I never want to travel in anything other that cruise mode and just run away from everything."

The other guy can also engage cruise mode, and unlike in freelancer, cruise mode doesn't disable your guns. Enjoy running away in an almost perfectly straight line :v:

• Locked thread