Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Okay my guys are killing the other guys. Good. Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

now this is the best lp

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Ramc posted:

Okay I think they are in the garrison? How do I get them ooout.

Edit: There. That wasn't very logical.

Just buy province defense. They will automatically defend your province and replenish after each battle!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

So Research Points only reflect the guys you had researching LAST turn? I put another dude on being a nerd and there was no increase in RP.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Donkringel posted:

Just buy province defense. They will automatically defend your province and replenish after each battle!

K-kitfox?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

fool_of_sound posted:

B) would like to play dominions four the thrones of ascension

Ramc posted:

How bad could it be.

Ownde.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Cap circle secured I guess. Though, uh, wait I am at the edge of the map. There doesn't seem to be a button to build forts.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ramc posted:

Cap circle secured I guess. Though, uh, wait I am at the edge of the map. There doesn't seem to be a button to build forts.

Building stuff is a commander command. Check their menu.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Ramc posted:

How bad could it be.

Please get in IRC so I can show you the glory of blitzing, and bad LPs

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Being gifted a copy of dom4 is like finding a cursed item in dom4 irl.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Being gifted a copy of dom4 is like finding a cursed item in dom4 irl.

quote:

At this time, the operator also notified the resident engineer of the contractor. They began to visit all of the personnel that had been working on the site that day. At 01:00 they arrived at Ramc's house. The survey meter they were using indicated high Dom4 levels as Ramc approached the door with Dom4 in his hands. Ramc was told to throw Dom4 into the street and then the radiographer put a stone over Dom4 and restricted access to the area. The resident engineer remained in the area to supervise Dom4 while the radiographer went to fetch equipment for recovering Dom4

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ramc posted:

Edit: There. That wasn't very logical.

Welcome to Dominions. Now try communions.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

This is now Ramc's blind playthrough LP of dominions

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Just wait until he finds out what happens when too many mages miss their target behind his army

or what happens when archers target an enemy squad right in front of his army and they miss

Donkringel posted:

Now try to get your pixel mans to cast spells and watch them kill themselves.

This, basically.

My favourite is and always will be a bunch of hydras accidentally poisoning my own army. Then my mages set the hydras on fire. Complete army self-destruct.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Well, trip report from when the forums were down. I made up a ghost wizard or w/e Pretender for the goth Norse faction (Helheim?) and futzed around. I probably did everything wrong building him. I secured my cap and eventually got into a little war with my neighbor, (Maravi?) and dunked his Solar Eagle pretender, though I have like no idea how to siege and he still has some big stacks wandering. Also some other guy with a white flag and a ton of giants is kind of rolling in.

Without any obvious 'at war' statuses gauging what they are up to isn't easy.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Ramc posted:

Well, trip report from when the forums were down. I made up a ghost wizard or w/e Pretender for the goth Norse faction (Helheim?) and futzed around. I probably did everything wrong building him. I secured my cap and eventually got into a little war with my neighbor, (Maravi?) and dunked his Solar Eagle pretender, though I have like no idea how to siege and he still has some big stacks wandering. Also some other guy with a white flag and a ton of giants is kind of rolling in.

Without any obvious 'at war' statuses gauging what they are up to isn't easy.

The AI is usually focused on furiously building enormous piles of poo poo for you to kill with magic. Until you learn to kill poo poo with magic it will probably kill you because it's good at building a poo poo tsunami bigger than yours.

It will randomly declare war on you, then also stop randomly without telling you. Then if you attack it after it decides it is not at war it will defend against what it perceives to be a new war waged by you :v:

Who am I mailing the "Good luck I'm behind 7000 longdead" coffee cup to.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 4, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Me.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The AI is usually focused on furiously building enormous piles of poo poo for you to kill with magic. Until you learn to kill poo poo with magic it will probably kill you because it's good at building a poo poo tsunami bigger than yours.

It will randomly declare war on you, then also stop randomly without telling you. Then if you attack it after it decides it is not at war it will defend against what it perceives to be a new war waged by you :v:

This is why I prefer to play with people who are as bad at dom4 as me. That being said I will probably post the rest of the glorious turns tomorrow (I recently got hired and start monday, which sort of explains why I haven't posted much lately :v:)

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Incidentally, if you ever kill an AI player's Pretender God, for whatever reason even if it's their fault, they will forever war you and get extremely suicidal in trying to kill you. As in they will completely ignore other nations taking their provinces if it means throwing more troops at you. This can have rather annoying consequences in multiplayer.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Dom4 Mod Inspector is the best way to play Dominions.

All theory, no commitment.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Victor Vermis posted:

All theory, no commitment.

My favorite PG's name has always been Peak Theorycrafting.

It was killed by turkeys.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Fat Samurai posted:

A poo poo-housing Virtue with a low astral achilles' heel and named after a My Little Pony was killed by Turkeys.

Pretty sure Peak Theorycrafting was unceremoniously eaten by giants.

I need to use my brain for remembering more important things.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Fat Samurai posted:

That's not true. Something something Rainbowdash was killed by turkeys.

Peak Theorycrafting had a masterful command of everything in his nation, perfect planning, and perfect scripting. Fittingly, he lost because of starting on a secluded island without space for expansion and being blocked off by three neighbours - all things that cannot be theorycrafted ahead of time.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It will randomly declare war on you

Nuclearmonkee I can say with 100% certainty this is not true and would like to point you to a game that I once played in

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Tevery Best posted:

That's not true. Something something Rainbowdash was killed by turkeys.

Peak Theorycrafting had a masterful command of everything in his nation, perfect planning, and perfect scripting. Fittingly, he lost because of starting on a secluded island without space for expansion and being blocked off by three neighbours - all things that cannot be theorycrafted ahead of time.

Ah yes, I remember that. That was one of my small LP contributions. A message going "Can't you outfit a thug with waterbreathing gear and start taking underwater provinces since you're stuck?"

:pirate:

Then when we caught up to the turn buffer, there were thugs going underwater!

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

not only did i laugh i also googled and read some iaea accident response reports

if screenshot lps are better than video lps i guess it stands to reason that lps with an islamic policy on visual representations of the game peace be upon it are better than screenshot lps

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I tried C'tis and made a bunch of snakes. I hear expanding early is super important so I had my guys lunge a nearby province turn two after making a prophet and recruiting some dudes. My snake dudes got blessed and then we got rolled by some dudes with pikes and arrows.

EDIT: here is my Pretender from my first goth norse game though:

Ramc fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 5, 2015

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Victor Vermis posted:

A poo poo-housing Virtue with a low astral achilles' heel and named after a My Little Pony was killed by Turkeys.

Pretty sure Peak Theorycrafting was unceremoniously eaten by giants.

I need to use my brain for remembering more important things.

Peak Theorycrafting died for the final time because a fat lady and a really tall skeleton were passed out across the battlefield from him and he unfortunately, woke up first.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ramc posted:

I tried C'tis and made a bunch of snakes. I hear expanding early is super important so I had my guys lunge a nearby province turn two after making a prophet and recruiting some dudes. My snake dudes got blessed and then we got rolled by some dudes with pikes and arrows.

The snakes are traps and are very bad. C'tis usually wants an awake monster god, like Erfsnake or the alligator head thing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lord Koth posted:

Incidentally, if you ever kill an AI player's Pretender God, for whatever reason even if it's their fault, they will forever war you and get extremely suicidal in trying to kill you. As in they will completely ignore other nations taking their provinces if it means throwing more troops at you. This can have rather annoying consequences in multiplayer.
Also I am fairly certain that their god comes back without much reference to how many priests they have recalling it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

Also I am fairly certain that their god comes back without much reference to how many priests they have recalling it.

Really? I never had that happen. (To be fair, generally I'm killing AI-pretenders when I'm sitting on their cap, so they soon cease to exist anyway.)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I had someone go AI on me in a game where they had maybe 10 holy points' worth of priests, killed their god, and like two turns later their PG appeared outside their cap I was sieging.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

Yeah I had someone go AI on me in a game where they had maybe 10 holy points' worth of priests, killed their god, and like two turns later their PG appeared outside their cap I was sieging.

But I thought you only need like 30 holy points total to recall your god reliably? 10 per turn and two turns later, sounds like the AI just got lucky.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
50 I think? Could be wrong!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

50 I think? Could be wrong!

I could be, too! :v:

Either way, that stuff is based on luck. The more holy points you collect, the more likely is your pretender's return. Some lucky bastard could theoretically get their god back on turn 2 with just one priest calling.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I have never heard of such a thing.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I was pretty positive that it is a flat 50 points worth of god calling to get your pretender back, and that the AI just cheats like all gently caress because it cheats at everything else as well.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

I have never heard of such a thing.

Well, I've gotten pretenders back several turns earlier then they should be if it was a hardcoded number, so I don't think the manual lies in this case. If you hit the full number, you just get your pretender back, 100% guaranteed, but you can get your god back earlier if you're lucky.

How are u posted:

I was pretty positive that it is a flat 50 points worth of god calling to get your pretender back, and that the AI just cheats like all gently caress because it cheats at everything else as well.

The AI could still cheat, sure. But JBrereton's example is pretty much worthless to find out about this since the AI could have gotten it's pretender back with luck, anyway. And in my games, AI-pretenders tend to stay dead, so I can't confirm his experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It's 50 + or - a little bit. The AI cheats like a motherfucker.

• Locked thread