Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Buffy Season 8 went full-on "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" or whatever when they had a bit where Buffy and Angel get superpowers and they're flying around the world smashing mountains into rubble while shagging. I think it was all so they would conceive a sentient universe that wanted to exist in the "main" reality, or something like that. I'd lost interest by that point. The best story in the comic was the one Brian K. Vaughan did where Faith and Giles team up to take down a rogue slayer in England as a sort of Emma Peel / John Steed duo.

The most :what: part of the Buffy comics for me was the bit where all the slayers (and Willow) "switch off" their magic (they go to the Himalayas and learn the trick from Oz, who joined a hidden monastery after Seth Green left the show) so the villains couldn't track them, but they get found anyway and we're treated to this big tableau where a bunch of teenage girls fight like an entire division of the U.S. army with machine guns and bazookas in full-on trench warfare. Then these Hindu deities emerge from the mountains and start taking everyone out.

Thing is, Jane Espenson wrote this, and she'd done good episodes for the TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

TV people writing comics experience neither the budgetary restraints nor the other people in the writers' room that they're used to having, both of which force them to refine/reconsider their ideas. Instead of tense character piece bottle episodes, they're able to do all the centaur giantess trench warfare garbage they've been craving.

e: For more details, please purchase my upcoming Aspen comics miniseries, WWI — WEMICKESS WAR ONE: THE MACROFFENSIVE.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 2, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I was about to bring up John Rogers as a good counterexample, but then I remembered how widescreen Blue Beetle got as it went.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Buffy Season 8 went full-on "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" or whatever when they had a bit where Buffy and Angel get superpowers and they're flying around the world smashing mountains into rubble while shagging. I think it was all so they would conceive a sentient universe that wanted to exist in the "main" reality, or something like that. I'd lost interest by that point. The best story in the comic was the one Brian K. Vaughan did where Faith and Giles team up to take down a rogue slayer in England as a sort of Emma Peel / John Steed duo.

The most :what: part of the Buffy comics for me was the bit where all the slayers (and Willow) "switch off" their magic (they go to the Himalayas and learn the trick from Oz, who joined a hidden monastery after Seth Green left the show) so the villains couldn't track them, but they get found anyway and we're treated to this big tableau where a bunch of teenage girls fight like an entire division of the U.S. army with machine guns and bazookas in full-on trench warfare. Then these Hindu deities emerge from the mountains and start taking everyone out.

Thing is, Jane Espenson wrote this, and she'd done good episodes for the TV show.
She also wrote the dumb Harmony stuff mentioned earlier. She was not good for the comic. I completely zoned out once they hit the Himalayas. I even owned the comics, but to this day have never read them after that point.

And yes, the Faith/Giles issues were great!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"So how would you like to read something by Joss Whedon..."

"He's alright, I guess."

"... with no editorial direction."

"Yikes! Gotta go!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Idran posted:

Aha, okay; I'd always thought it was just some later writer blowing something out of proportion for the sake of new drama. Thanks for the correction!

I'm like, 90% sure Bendis did it just this past year. Maybe I'm dead wrong and I'm remembering seeing something in the funny panels thread, but I could swear I saw something in All-New X-Men with Xavier thought-bubbling how he liked Jean and Jean freaking about it.

e: Also all these Buffy comics sound downright Sonic comic-ish in terms of batshit licensed material. Only it's Whedon so it's batshit totally from-the-author licensed material, which is maybe worse.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 2, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

I'm like, 90% sure Bendis did it just this past year. Maybe I'm dead wrong and I'm remembering seeing something in the funny panels thread, but I could swear I saw something in All-New X-Men with Xavier thought-bubbling how he liked Jean and Jean freaking about it.

That might have been from the Onslaught saga.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

TwoPair posted:

I may be missing something here, but Xavier's been dead since well before the All New gang showed up.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I think that was Beast or Wolverine.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

TwoPair posted:

e: Also all these Buffy comics sound downright Sonic comic-ish in terms of batshit licensed material. Only it's Whedon so it's batshit totally from-the-author licensed material, which is maybe worse.
They really, really were. Season 10 toned it way down and seems to have found a sweet spot.

I originally saved this for the funny panels thread before deciding it wasn't that funny, but look:

A charming moment that actually sounds like the show!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

There was a Star Wars comic where Han Solo and Chewbacca were escaping some Tie Fighters and the Millenium Falcon flew into a blackhole or something. On the other side, they crashed onto a planet that neither recognized. As they investigated it, Han was shot up with arrows from a Native American tribe. Chewbacca angrily fought them off, then had his final emotional moment with a dying Han.

Years later, the skeletal remains of Han, as well as the Millenium Falcon wreckage, were discovered by Indiana Jones and Short Round. They were investigating rumors of Sasquatch being seen in the area, but then decided to just leave it be.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
There was also a Star Wars comic where Han Solo and Chewbacca were escaping from Boba Fett and the Millennium Falcon flew into a spooky nebula or something. Inside, they are saved by a Jedi man-ball who had been hiding out there because uh, where else would he be? He equips the Millennium Falcon with a loving gigantic lightning gun straight out of Quake but resembles Chris Elliot's hand from Scary Movie 2. Boba Fett is once again finally defeated for the last time for real guys, and Han wastes no time in returning the Falcon to its pre-bulbous growth nubbin look as soon as humanly possible.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

That's like the issue of Age of Iron where Tony is back in early 80s NYC and goes to the Hellfire club with Dazzler the same night the X-men are there, and wrecks poo poo with Wolverine.

That sounds loving awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Unmature posted:

He's stuck wearing the armor with a nose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

There was a Star Wars comic where Han Solo and Chewbacca were escaping some Tie Fighters and the Millenium Falcon flew into a blackhole or something. On the other side, they crashed onto a planet that neither recognized. As they investigated it, Han was shot up with arrows from a Native American tribe. Chewbacca angrily fought them off, then had his final emotional moment with a dying Han.

Years later, the skeletal remains of Han, as well as the Millenium Falcon wreckage, were discovered by Indiana Jones and Short Round. They were investigating rumors of Sasquatch being seen in the area, but then decided to just leave it be.

Star Wars Tales #19 - "Into the Great Unknown". Written by Haden Blackman.

:spergin:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Unmature posted:

Age of Iron is pretty awesome. Villain gets dooms time machine, gets Jean back when she was peak Dark Phoenix, brings her to the present, blows up the world with, her, Tony Jumps in just in time. He's not stuck in the past, and also at his lowest point. When he goes to the Avengers after he explains his situation the other Avengers go "You're drunk Tony, go home!". The best thing is the Avengers are written in a very old style, while Tony is written very modern.
I should dig it out and read it again. It's been a while.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

twistedmentat posted:

Age of Iron is pretty awesome. Villain gets dooms time machine, gets Jean back when she was peak Dark Phoenix, brings her to the present, blows up the world with, her, Tony Jumps in just in time. He's not stuck in the past, and also at his lowest point. When he goes to the Avengers after he explains his situation the other Avengers go "You're drunk Tony, go home!". The best thing is the Avengers are written in a very old style, while Tony is written very modern.
I should dig it out and read it again. It's been a while.

What issue numbers does that happen in? I've been looking for some hidden gems on Marvel Unlimited and that sounds great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Age of iron is a mini, I think.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

redbackground posted:

There was also a Star Wars comic where Han Solo and Chewbacca were escaping from Boba Fett and the Millennium Falcon flew into a spooky nebula or something. Inside, they are saved by a Jedi man-ball who had been hiding out there because uh, where else would he be? He equips the Millennium Falcon with a loving gigantic lightning gun straight out of Quake but resembles Chris Elliot's hand from Scary Movie 2. Boba Fett is once again finally defeated for the last time for real guys, and Han wastes no time in returning the Falcon to its pre-bulbous growth nubbin look as soon as humanly possible.

That's 'Dark Empire'(or was it Dark Empire 2?). He used his own mastery of the Force to rule his hidden planet. He remains an ally till 'Empire's End' Where he, dying, drags Palpatine's spirit down into the Force to finally kill the bugger.

All gone now, of course. We'll see if Disney's various efforts end up as weird in the end.

...Technically speaking, the weird-rear end colour schemes of Dark Empire probably qualify it for this thread.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Bloodly posted:

That's 'Dark Empire'(or was it Dark Empire 2?). He used his own mastery of the Force to rule his hidden planet. He remains an ally till 'Empire's End' Where he, dying, drags Palpatine's spirit down into the Force to finally kill the bugger.

All gone now, of course. We'll see if Disney's various efforts end up as weird in the end.

...Technically speaking, the weird-rear end colour schemes of Dark Empire probably qualify it for this thread.

It's not a good story, and the art's not really great (somebody in one of the Star Wars thread made the very astute observation that everybody except Palpatine looks like Bruce Campbell, and Palpatine looks like David Bowie), but I adore the coloring. Nothing else has ever really looked like it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CharlestheHammer posted:

Age of iron is a mini, I think.

Yea, it's a mini series.. Whoops, its just called Iron Age, not age of Iron, That's probably why you haven't been able to find it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I don't know if you guys read the bad characterization thread too, but I've been asking in there about why everyone seems to think the Illuminati are a bunch of idiots, and

Boogaleeboo posted:

I mean it's a tossup if Beast or Tony are the biggest assholes in the current Illuminati, and that's loving impressive on a team that has Namor and Reed Richards on it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Beast grnocided a whole universe once. He is also a bit of a prick.

Gavok posted:

Beast played around with time travel to bring the original teen lineup of the X-Men into the present as a Hail Mary to make current Cyclops a better person because Beast was dying at the time and might as well play Russian roulette with the time-space continuum.

What the gently caress? I don't want to keep monopolizing that thread with newbie questions, but that seems like a pretty good topic for poo poo that Actually Happened. What on earth happened to Beast since the kindly professor from the 90s cartoon?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rochallor posted:

It's not a good story, and the art's not really great (somebody in one of the Star Wars thread made the very astute observation that everybody except Palpatine looks like Bruce Campbell, and Palpatine looks like David Bowie), but I adore the coloring. Nothing else has ever really looked like it.

Why are the villains fighting?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Phenotype posted:

What the gently caress? I don't want to keep monopolizing that thread with newbie questions, but that seems like a pretty good topic for poo poo that Actually Happened. What on earth happened to Beast since the kindly professor from the 90s cartoon?
The short version is that the disconnect between "I am the smartest mutant" and "I cannot stop the mutant race from being in dire peril of extinction literally all the time and I cannot fix the problems when they occur" broke him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Or for a better explanation, he was slowly turned into a sarcastic depressed rear end in a top hat because that's the only "smart guy" archetype some writers can pull off, and that led to him becoming existentially tortured and ultimately a maniac.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Holy poo poo I literally just realized that they're supposed to be holding lightsabers in that Star Wars panel and not just super bright candles.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lady Naga posted:

Holy poo poo I literally just realized that they're supposed to be holding lightsabers in that Star Wars panel and not just super bright candles.

It's not candles GEEZ......it's obviously lightbulbs ;)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The art in Dark Empire is loving weird. There's also a panel that clearly shows Ewoks as members of the regular Rebellions forces.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

twistedmentat posted:

The art in Dark Empire is loving weird. There's also a panel that clearly shows Ewoks as members of the regular Rebellions forces.

The art is by Cam Kennedy, who is a good artist best known for drawing Judge Dredd.

I haven't actually read Dark Empire, but frankly this art is making me want to.

Like look at this panel. It's pretty drat cool.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lightning Lord posted:

The art is by Cam Kennedy, who is a good artist best known for drawing Judge Dredd.

I haven't actually read Dark Empire, but frankly this art is making me want to.

Like look at this panel. It's pretty drat cool.

It's weird because the Art in Dark Empire looks nothing like the Dredd artwork. And weird doesn't mean bad, but there's some odd ways of drawing some iconic stuff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I mean... shouldn't they be? If I was the Rebellion I'd have signed up as many of those little fuckers as wanted in, imagine how many Stormtroopers they could kill if you gave them guns.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I mean... shouldn't they be? If I was the Rebellion I'd have signed up as many of those little fuckers as wanted in, imagine how many Stormtroopers they could kill if you gave them guns.

How soon we forget the noble sacrifice of Lt. Kettch.

Yub-yub, Commander. Yub-yub. :smith:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Ghostlight posted:

Why are the villains fighting?

Luke gets captured, goes to new planet Byss, effectively the Emperor's secret Dark-Side retreat. Finds the Emperor is alive(via Cloning), and the Empire is rebuilding with a new super-fleet: World Devastators, ships that eat planets(and anything else) and build new ships with the material. New TIES and ground weapons, too.

Palpatine offers Luke a similar deal as he did before; "Join me. Learn from me. Maybe you'll stay, maybe you'll try and stop me. Still, you can't beat what you don't understand."

Luke accepts. Goes very Vader.

Leia and Han go after him. Luke gives them the control codes for the World Devastators(Currently attacking Mon Calamari-it helps, leaving them dead in the water; except they can still run the forges). This is soon after that point. He's tried to kill all the Emperor's clones, but one has survived; the guy on the right.

...It doesn't go well. Luke ends up practically a puppet for a time. Of course he shakes it off in the end, though.

Certain versions of the graphic novel also came with a lore-dump of sorts(Effectively telling the same story, but with more things here and there-like Palpatine's a hack; his 'Dark Side secrets' are corruptions of Jedi teachings from Holocrons he's captured; Leia gets taught of Ulic Quel-Droma when warned about trying to merge Dark and Light/infiltrate the Sith by learning it-basically 'it doesn't work' and you go full Darkside) at the back. It's fairly interesting, as far as it goes.

quote:

I don't disagree. It's not bad, it's just weird. It's probably why I still remember it when I saw this thing as a teen.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 4, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The art in Dark Empire doesn't really suit Star Wars but I think it's appropriate for the story they were telling - it makes the galaxy look like a really miserable, grungy place because the Emperor's come back and put the Rebellion / New Republic on the back-foot.

One area where it suffers is that the story is really, really compressed. I am fairly sure it begins after the Emperor has already come back and convinced Luke to join him, which is all info-dumped in the "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" opening crawl.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I loooove the Dark Empire art. Those beautiful color washes, the beautiful giant ship-scapes...yum.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm dying to know what happens on the next page.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Phenotype posted:

I can't tell if you want a meta-explanation about how hacky hack poo poo writers are hacky piece of poo poo or a thematic explanation or what but the plot explanation is basically:

1) Scarlet Witch used her magic/mutant powers to depower almost all of the mutants and make it so there are no more mutants. (House of M)
2) Beast wanders around talking to EVERYONE (including bad guys) to try to figure out how to bring mutants back and has no luck. (Endangered Species)
3) Cyclops gets increasingly militant in his quest to secure the existence of our people and a future for mutant children, starts a Murder Squad behind Beast's back. (X-Force)
4) Cyclops starts training child soldiers on a sovereign island and recruits people like Magneto for his "Extinction Squad", a team he explains is intend to remind humans that mutants COULD exterminate humanity but they choose not to. Beast, Wolverine, and others split off and form a not-for-soldiers school. (Schism)
5. Cyclops and his Extinction Squad decide that maybe the Phoenix Force will resurrect the mutant race as it hurtles towards Earth exterminating planets. Others disagree. (Avengers vs. X-Men)
6. A series of events leads Cyclops and his Extinction Squad to get the Phoenix Force split amongst them, they kind of almost destroy the planet and Cyclops decides maybe he needs to be the only Phoenix, people disagree, he kills Xavier, a bunch of other stuff happens and hey, mutants are back I guess? (more Avengers vs. X-Men)
7) Since Xavier was in the Illuminati, he sort of wills his spot to the Beast, and they are immediately faced with the collapse of the multiverse presented as a Trolley problem. The Illuminati (of which Beast is a member) end up blowing up an inhabited Earth in order to spare the lives of our Earth, the rest of our Universe, and the rest of the second Universe minus the Earth. This really tears up everyone on the Illuminati except for Namor, who believes that killing several billion people to save the lives of trillions upon trillions of people might be hard but necessary. This is the genocide people are talking about. (New Avengers)
7a) Bendis's X-Men/All-New X-Men run (recently concluded) was about him plucking the early Original Five out of the past to remind Scott (who is even more militant after breaking out of jail after being arrested for murdering Xavier) and recruiting new mutants into an underground 'liberation'/terrorist cell and etc) how badly he's serving their teenage Xavier dreams.

The big problem with Bendis's run is that it's supposed to be about like Hank and Scott and how much both of them have changed since the old days and etc. but so much of it is like OH NO HANK YOU BROKE TIME, IT'S DEFINITELY BROKEN, IT'S YOUR FAULT, NOW THE KIDS CAN'T GO BACK, WHY IS THAT, WHO CARES, HOW DARE YOU, THIS IS BAD, DON'T ASK ME WHY IT'S BAD, THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN ALL OF THOSE OTHER TIME TRAVEL THINGS where it's telling not showing how badly Beast has strayed. Also Cyclops's arc is a mess of him realizing maybe he's gone down a bad path but it doesn't really have anything to do with his past self or much of anything other than him kind of turning good at the end of the series, partially due to the influence of his brother who had just turned evil in the Axis event so maybe we're supposed to take it with a grain of salt except there's no indication of that and then the book ends.

Anyway, Secret Wars happens and everyone dies and everyone comes back and in the new comics the Inhumans' Terrigen Mist is killing mutants so Cyclops tries to take out the Inhumans and dies ('dies'?) as a result and Beast is working with the Inhumans to fix things so whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
My favorite Beast moment is him turning on Cyclops for X-force. He turns to Logan, who led X-force.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Hank has been high since he turned himself blue and joined the Avengers. Sometimes he forgets things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What does hank even look like now, is he still like Proof except blue and long limbs?

• Locked thread