Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

C.M. Kruger posted:

According to a bunch of angry lesbians on 4chan, Hyperdevotion is terrible because IF decided that players wanted to have a "generic faceless male anime protagonist" as the main character.

Sounds more like a bunch of basement-dwellers who are so insecure that they can't even deal with having a male in their jackoff material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sleeveless posted:

Sounds more like a bunch of basement-dwellers who are so insecure that they can't even deal with having a male in their jackoff material.

It's usually the opposite, the reason why generic faceless male protagonists are so prevalent in VNs and similar games is to make it easy to self-insert yourself in their place. If it's not something you do then it's just a super-overdone cliché that leads to bland protagonists so I can see people complaining about it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That lovingly drawn spiderbutt.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
What are some decent games similar to shadowrun returns?

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

Is this Undertale that I keep hearing about

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Quest For Glory II posted:

Shadow Complex Remastered is available FOR FREE "for the Holidays", but NOT on Steam. google it up. you'll need Epic's Game Launcher (which they also use for FortNite and new Unreal Tournament).

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Blattdorf posted:

Haha, gently caress Konami. What the gently caress?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/KotyDwa/

There's still time until the end of December, but I'm posting my Steam profile page to those participating in the Toxx, just so you don't think I'm going to bail out on this in the last minute. I don't feel like confirming identities right now, I'm pissed they hosed Kojima over this hard, so I'll just do it sometime in the future.

Sent an invite. :coolfish:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

C.M. Kruger posted:

According to a bunch of angry lesbians on 4chan, Hyperdevotion is terrible because IF decided that players wanted to have a "generic faceless male anime protagonist" as the main character.

hyperdevotion is actually made by Sting

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Infinitum posted:

Doom MP Alpha Weekend sign-up
http://doom.com/en-gb/alpha/steam

First in best dressed

This is actually pretty fun and it runs well for an alpha.
If you hadn't told me it was Doom, I never would've guessed though.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Deakul posted:

This is actually pretty fun and it runs well for an alpha.
If you hadn't told me it was Doom, I never would've guessed though.

How does it play? Fast like Doom 2 or slower like a Call of Duty?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BexGu posted:

it has goddamn call of duty loadouts

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BexGu posted:

Loadouts aside, it's pretty fast paced.
Not fast like Doom 2 but more in line with Quake 3 on depressants.

It's one of the faster paced multiplayer games I've played in a while, it is arena based too.

I don't know why this is even a focus though cause the multiplayer is going to be dead within a month, I can't see this having any lasting appeal for the average gamer.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 4, 2015

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

singateco posted:

Is this Undertale that I keep hearing about

Nah, Undertale's art isn't quite as good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm surprised it hasn't actually since Koei have been porting most everything else.

Maybe the engine isn't as PC compatible?

gust can barely handle developing for the ps3 and psvita, a pc game would be a trainwreck

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Riso posted:

What are some decent games similar to shadowrun returns?

Off the top of my head:

Wastelands 2 - Director's Cut
Black Guards 1/2
Hard West

I'd say the Blackguards games are the most similar to SR, in terms of features and general structure, but a lot of people hated them. I personally really enjoyed them, though some battles they can be frustratingly hard if you're not properly prepared.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Invisible Inc. has a similar turn based AP system, also you're literally doing shadowruns on corps.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aw man that awesome site with the interactive Shadow Complex map is gone. That's a bummer.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Gerblyn posted:

Off the top of my head:

Wastelands 2 - Director's Cut
Black Guards 1/2
Hard West

I'd say the Blackguards games are the most similar to SR, in terms of features and general structure, but a lot of people hated them. I personally really enjoyed them, though some battles they can be frustratingly hard if you're not properly prepared.

I'll check them out.

quote:

Invisible Inc. has a similar turn based AP system, also you're literally doing shadowruns on corps.

Game has no rpgy parts though?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, so much for Far Cry Primal being new and interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgFNNmHCiCc

Literally Far Cry 3/4 without guns and more of an emphasis on animal companions.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Doom alpha impressions: its ugly and the sound is poo poo

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Deakul posted:

Literally Far Cry 3/4 without guns and more of an emphasis on animal companions.

I don't know why anyone would expect guns in a caveman game :confused:

It looks like it plays like an expanded version of the Shangri-La segments from FC4.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Who says they expected guns? I'm just saying what it is.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Deakul posted:

Who says they expected guns? I'm just saying what it is.

What were you hoping for to make it fun for you?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Deakul posted:

I'm glad that I can still see the joy in summoning and commanding wildlife to maul and murder your foes like some kind of vengeful prehistoric druid. They're basically taking the best part of FarCry 3 and 4 and making it a core player-controlled system.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

botany posted:

What were you hoping for to make it fun for you?

Not to literally be a previous game with a different coat paint for one.

A melee combat system on par with a game like Zeno Clash or even Chivalry, tamed animals not being power ups you can call upon whenever; it'd be interesting if they could die and you have to re-tame a new one and if the taming process wasn't just "throw meat down and approach animal and hold F"... it should be a little more involved, I think a QTE would've actually worked in that case.

More mobility; there shouldn't be predetermined climb points, you're a beast master so I'd assume you can climb just about anything... but it doesn't look like that. Where's the tree climbing? Scaling cliff faces? Maybe even having a grappling hook too like in FC4 but with way more anchor points.

Add an actual survival system akin to most open world survival games these days, you know: hunger and thirst so you have to actually hunt for food and fresh water to stay alive
Not entirely necessary but I think it'd be cool to see in a tripla A game.

I don't particularly care about the stock Ubisoft features being there too much but it'd just be nice to see them do MORE with it.
Bonfires being the new radio towers is kind of weak especially since you don't have to do much with them besides set it on fire, they should be a little tricky to get to... I actually like climbing up a structure to activate a thing.

And I can probably think up more stuff but I don't see the point.

I hope this is going to be priced accordingly, it feels like a $40 game at most.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Alright, that's fair, although a lot of people hated the radio towers, and I personally think there's no room in this type of game for QTEs. I agree with the survival aspects, that could have been cool, maybe make it optional for people who want more arcadey action.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deakul posted:

Not to literally be a previous game with a different coat paint for one.

A melee combat system on par with a game like Zeno Clash or even Chivalry, tamed animals not being power ups you can call upon whenever; it'd be interesting if they could die and you have to re-tame a new one and if the taming process wasn't just "throw meat down and approach animal and hold F"... it should be a little more involved, I think a QTE would've actually worked in that case.

More mobility; there shouldn't be predetermined climb points, you're a beast master so I'd assume you can climb just about anything... but it doesn't look like that. Where's the tree climbing? Scaling cliff faces? Maybe even having a grappling hook too like in FC4 but with way more anchor points.

Add an actual survival system akin to most open world survival games these days, you know: hunger and thirst so you have to actually hunt for food and fresh water to stay alive
Not entirely necessary but I think it'd be cool to see in a tripla A game.

I don't particularly care about the stock Ubisoft features being there too much but it'd just be nice to see them do MORE with it.
Bonfires being the new radio towers is kind of weak especially since you don't have to do much with them besides set it on fire, they should be a little tricky to get to... I actually like climbing up a structure to activate a thing.

And I can probably think up more stuff but I don't see the point.

I hope this is going to be priced accordingly, it feels like a $40 game at most.

Your expectations are pretty extreme and many (such as re-taming animals) would be considered a flaw to a lot of people who play games. The idea of permanently losing a powered-up character tends to bother people, and the survival/food mechanics would absolutely piss people off. People deal poorly with those kinds of mechanics.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Stanley Parable creator William Pugh's new game is out, and it's very good and had me laughin a lot, plus it's free http://store.steampowered.com/app/409160/

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

ImpAtom posted:

Your expectations are pretty extreme and many (such as re-taming animals) would be considered a flaw to a lot of people who play games. The idea of permanently losing a powered-up character tends to bother people, and the survival/food mechanics would absolutely piss people off. People deal poorly with those kinds of mechanics.

So tie those mechanics to a difficulty level like in FO:NV's Hardcore mode.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Agreed, though having that as a selectable option in the difficulty menu would be neat.
Like what I see of the game in that video (except the banjo playing in the background), but seeing so many re-used assets kind of makes me also hope this will be a budget title.

Edit fb

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't feel like they're extreme, it's kind of something I expect from a triple A dev: you know, effort put into every facet of the game.
But, I guess that's naive thinking in this day and age.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Implying that cats can't be heroes is pretty hosed up

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deakul posted:

I don't feel like they're extreme, it's kind of something I expect from a triple A dev: you know, effort put into every facet of the game.

AAA games are not games that lend themselves well to completely remaking the game between sequels and this game already represents a fairly extreme change from the previous games if just through the removal of vehicles and guns.

Magnus Praeda posted:

So tie those mechanics to a difficulty level like in FO:NV's Hardcore mode.

Hardcore Mode was an afterthought and poorly integrated with the mechanics. If they did that here it would be basically the same thing. A real dedicated survival system needs a game designed around it and that takes full advantage of it or else you get... well, Hardcore Mode

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 4, 2015

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

It's IndieGala's birthday today I guess, so all their bundles are half off and they're giving away free keys for Gun Metal. Check it out over here. :toot:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Deakul posted:

"The developer isn't putting in effort" and "the developer isn't putting in the exact features I specifically want" aren't the same thing. As ImpAtom said, some of the features you want aren't terribly fun to other people.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, as I said in that post, I wouldn't particularly WANT QTEs(maybe have taming have an x percent chance to fail and it enrages the animal instead?) or hunger/thirst meters but I feel like they'd make the game better in SOME ways.

I do believe that a game like this absolutely needs a deeper combat system though, it looks like melee combat is literally nothing but canned kill animations. How fun, I love having the pacing haulted to watch a SUPER BAD rear end BRUTAL kill move every time.

Also, all of those reused assets reeks of laziness.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 4, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Shadow Complex is out on PC already? They not doing a Steam release? Is that free offer permanent if you get it or is just free during December?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Doge FMV game slated to leave Early Access Q1 2017.

• Locked thread