Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

You're probably not going to need a winter tire set in dfw. Even when it ices over, the roads are going to be a mess due to other drivers, making all of your traction moot. You may as well buckle down for the day or 2 and wait for the inevitable 75* day that will melt it all immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Decided to go with this for my winter setup, should be around $550 picked up via TR wholesale.

I ran the same model Generals on my WRX and had no complaints aside from not really having enough snow (and too much traction) to really get my money's worth at the time...IIRC they are essentially resold Gislaved Nordfrosts.

Can I deal with the TPMS bullshit myself without the tool or am I going to have to go to the dealership after they are put on?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

veedubfreak posted:

I had DWS and they wear odd. Due to the tread design they seem to wear in the middle really bad compared to the sides. I also barely got 30k out of them. I can't really think of many places in Texas where you would need a true winter tire. A good all season will work all year round and tends to last longer than both a winter and true summer.

You sure you didn't overinflate them? Center wear is indicative of that.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bajaha posted:

You sure you didn't overinflate them? Center wear is indicative of that.

Ya, I up them to 38 about once a month. If you look at the tread pattern, the very center is a groove between the 2 patterns. It's not -that- much more wear, but it's enough for the Tire Monkeys to bitch that the center is too worn compared to the sides to repair a nail DEAD CENTER OF THE TIRE. Not even at the wear bars yet. And still has DW left.

But still not impressed with them being worn out at 30k when they are supposedly a 50k tire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What car has a recommended pressure of 38 PSI? Genuinely curious, everything I've dealt with has been in the 30-35 range, usually 32.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

What car has a recommended pressure of 38 PSI? Genuinely curious, everything I've dealt with has been in the 30-35 range, usually 32.
Great, now I'm worried about the recommended pressure of 44 on my MK4 Golf :ohdear: Or are you talking about only snow tires, cuz that makes more sense.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

IOwnCalculus posted:

My MK6 GTI recommends 38 PSI

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Does vw use really really skinny tires or something, or have really heavy vehicles? 38psi sounds really high like IOC said. Most comparable cars use much lower pressures.

That would certainly explain the center wear.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

scuz posted:

Great, now I'm worried about the recommended pressure of 44 on my MK4 Golf :ohdear: Or are you talking about only snow tires, cuz that makes more sense.

Where did you get that 44 from?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

3300 pound vehicle on 235/35/19 inch tires.

That's also warm pressure not cold.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Only thing I can think of is they bumped up the spec so that you'd get less blowouts due to rough roads on the low profile, at the expense of tire wear.

Veloster is 2800ish lbs on 215/40/18 with a spec of 32 psi. (Tire size is from memory, sidewall might be a little off.)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Where did you get that 44 from?
Tire sidewall. I'll snap a photo when I get home. It's also marked as such on the sticker inside the gas cap cover, unless I'm reading that wrong.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scuz posted:

Tire sidewall. I'll snap a photo when I get home. It's also marked as such on the sticker inside the gas cap cover, unless I'm reading that wrong.

Sidewall is the safe maximum pressure for the tire, not the recommended pressure. I suppose a car could recommend a pressure that high, but that would be really odd...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Sidewall is the safe maximum pressure for the tire, not the recommended pressure. I suppose a car could recommend a pressure that high, but that would be really odd...
Welp, time to do some more reading.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

scuz posted:

Welp, time to do some more reading.

Just look on the sticker on the driver's-side door frame.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Just look on the sticker on the driver's-side door frame.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I thought I had read that before and it said 44psi but I'm bad at reading good.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
my Mk5 showed 35psi last I looked

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What tires would you guys recommend for daily driver and autocross? Would I be better off getting a second set of rims and just keep a nice set in the house? Looking for 18/40-225. I live somewhere they doesn't get below 40 degrees and rains regularly if that helps. 201 Veloster R-Spec

Thanks

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Pilot super sports. Baller-rear end tires in the rain as long as it doesnt get cold. Does fab in the dry too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Pilot super sports. Baller-rear end tires in the rain as long as it doesnt get cold. Does fab in the dry too.

Super Sports are excellent tires, yes. I have them on my R and it makes a huge difference especially in the "how fast can I comfortably take this traffic circle at" scenarios.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KakerMix posted:

Super Sports are excellent tires, yes. I have them on my R and it makes a huge difference especially in the "how fast can I comfortably take this traffic circle at" scenarios.

Loved them on my fr-s. Annoyed that they aren't available in a size that will fit the FiST stock wheels at the stock size.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So are Michelin Pilot tires the holy grail of ture these days?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If you want super high performance that won't last more than about 15k miles :)

Personally I stick with tires that won't cost me 300 per and wear out in 2 years.

266 per at tire rack in my size, and only a 300 wear rating.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 4, 2015

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

300 treadwear and a treadlife warranty (as short as it is) is my idea of a good compromise tire.

Also I rock 17's so super sports are pretty reasonably priced

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I never fail to marvel at US centric tyre chat.

I'd count myself lucky to get 15,000 miles off any tyres let alone anything performance orientated - course seal and winding roads are just murder on tread life.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I guess tires just last longer than tyres. Should maybe start buying the right ones.

Edit: Well since I'm the last one to post in here, I'll just update with pictures.
It's supposed to be dry for a few days so I figured I needed to knock the mag chloride and other bullshit off the car.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 5, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I have Pilot Sport A/S 3's on my car and they seem to be a nice mix of performance and treadwear. Handling is excellent and I haven't managed to burn them up in one season of commuting.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

veedubfreak posted:

If you want super high performance that won't last more than about 15k miles :)

Personally I stick with tires that won't cost me 300 per and wear out in 2 years.

266 per at tire rack in my size, and only a 300 wear rating.

I dunno, I bought a performance-oriented car and consider good tires to be like premium fuel. I bought the car I might as well do what I can to take advantage of it. If I wanted to save money I wouldn't have bought a fancy Golf.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Finally replaced the Eagle's on the Focus today (OEM tire). Got just over 23k miles out of them. They still had some tread left (just about to hit the wear bars), but they were hard as a rock. I was accidentally spinning the tires pretty regular for the last week or so, not even trying. Replaced them with my charity auction tires - Continental ContiSportContact 5P's (I wonder if they had some sort of a contest to come up with the longest tire model name?). Guess I'll see how these ones work!

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
For how great the Pilot Super Sports are the treadwear is incredible. Everything with comparable levels wears way faster.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KakerMix posted:

I dunno, I bought a performance-oriented car and consider good tires to be like premium fuel. I bought the car I might as well do what I can to take advantage of it. If I wanted to save money I wouldn't have bought a fancy Golf.

I just don't find that I'm able to outdrive the tires that last twice as long for half as much :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Test driving a FiST thursday night. I assume I will hate it and not buy it, right? Especially not for 0% APR financing and end of year incentives, those are terrible, just like this terrible car I won't buy.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
My 2016 veloster r-spec was $19,800 with spare tire included if you need something a little bigger. I couldn't sit comfortably in the fist at 6'3".

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Christobevii3 posted:

My 2016 veloster r-spec was $19,800 with spare tire included if you need something a little bigger. I couldn't sit comfortably in the fist at 6'3".

The good news is that I am about 8.5" shorter than you :wink: I had an early gen Hyundai and was not a fan, I don't love the brand to be honest. Never driven a Veloster though, they seem like they are good bang for the buck.

What's a good price for an end of year stripper FiST? I was thinking for shooting for 19-20k out of the door, and 0% APR.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I got my fully loaded veloster turbo for the equivalent of $23,500 USD out the door (and that's with our comparatively huge tax rate of 13%), can't imagine you couldn't get one for a similar price in the US. Other than the slew of issues initially, it's been a good car (Hyundai dealers can go shove a rusty pineapple up their asses though, same with corporate for their terrible support). It's definitely not a hardcore drivers car, but for your average commuter it's fun enough.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I saw Fist's around $20-21k when I looked for stick with basic seats. I didn't check my x-plan through work but that would have put at $20k even I bet. Yeah velosters are not as hardcore and 2013's had issues but a handful have 250-260whp with intercooler, intake, and tune on the forums too so ok. They are more like the FoST but without the power and rear suspension needs help to not suck from aftermarket.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My FoST was US$25k @ .99% (FCU loan lol) out the door in September.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My FiST was $20100 at 1.75% (credit union) and it came with a full size spare. Wasn't sure if the spare tire comment above was about the Fiesta not coming with one but they all come with a full size spare.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

GutBomb posted:

My FiST was $20100 at 1.75% (credit union) and it came with a full size spare. Wasn't sure if the spare tire comment above was about the Fiesta not coming with one but they all come with a full size spare.

Nope, but hyundai dealer wanted $500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

PaintVagrant posted:

Test driving a FiST thursday night. I assume I will hate it and not buy it, right? Especially not for 0% APR financing and end of year incentives, those are terrible, just like this terrible car I won't buy.

I've complained about it to no end before, but every part of the car that isn't a 1.6L turbocharged monster of a little thing, is utter crap. Keep in mind that $1500 in mods will put you at 270 ft/lbs.