Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Here ya go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

tbh putting the center speaker literally IN a fireplace is worse than mounting a tv above the fireplace

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
To be honest, if that was my house I'd probably put the sofa by the window, and then build an entertainment center console in the middle of the room across from it to put the TV and speakers, making it deep enough to put something decorative on the other side to hide all the wires.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

GokieKS posted:

To be honest, if that was my house I'd probably put the sofa by the window, and then build an entertainment center console in the middle of the room across from it to put the TV and speakers, making it deep enough to put something decorative on the other side to hide all the wires.

I probably wouldn't have bought a house with such a poorly laid out living room, i'm sure this living room was perfect when listening to FDR on the radio.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Have you considered a projector with a roll down screen to come down in front of either the fireplace or the windows?

Or moving your TV arrangement to a different space? There's no reason you can't have a nice living room/study in lieu of a separate office and a TV room elsewhere. Unorthodox, but not unheard of.

I'm kidding, really. My vote is for putting the center speaker on top of a stack of tasteful books or whatever on the hearth in front of the fireplace opening. You'd obviously have to move it out of the way and to the side when using the fireplace, but it keeps the speaker from getting gross and it's probably the easiest compromise.

I'm sorry if people are being lovely but we really are trying our best. Your house just wasn't designed with 21st Century entertaining in mind. :shrug:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

but what about the chair next to the fireplace???????

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I will be sure to let the people that built my house in the 1890s know that the living room is an impractical layout for the TV centered culture of the 2010s. Thank you all for informing me.

Edit: the chair next to the fireplace is there for when I have more people over than the couch and chair on the other wall can accommodate. I don't spend my entire life in front of the TV, and sometimes enjoy a conversation with another human being. HTH.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 5, 2015

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
Putting the center in the fireplace or hearth (even on tasteful books) sounds very impractical.

It seems like you're trying to have it all wich is hard in that room. Perhaps it's possible to split the center into two so you can have one speaker on each sub together working as a center?

I dunno. I would just go with a cool stereo + sub system. That way you free up your other corners for more chairs or whatnot. Or bookshelves that a fireplace study sorely needs.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!
By splitting the center, I ofc don't mean the physical speaker itself, but the signal going into two separate speakers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, I have a pretty badass stereo and sub setup. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if I couldn't use my center channel. But I'd like to.

Edit: and I know what you mean by two center channels. But I'd be worried about comb filtering.

Double edit: I've literally had guests call my audio setup a religious experience. Seriously. I'm very proud of it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Dec 5, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can you post a picture of where you've got the AV equipment stashed?

How do you handle cooling in that room?

I want to have a rack room in my next place but am very worried about power and hvac. I sure as hell won't have the luxury of building new either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can post a pic later, but it's literally a wire utility rack in my basement (one of those modular ones you get at Target or whatever) with equipment on it. I just ran a dedicated 20 amp circuit to it. Cooling is handled by the fact that it's a relatively large basement room, and I don't have to stack equipment on top of each other like it would be in an entertainment center.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Could you put the TV on the wall opposite the window?

Flip flop the couch and tv in this diagram. The couch wouldn't interfere with light.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The wall opposite that window is inside my dining room and about 30 feet away.

I'm really not sure what internet gods I angered by putting my TV above the fireplace. It's not like I didn't consider placement when I bought the house. I like it there. Quit telling me what I should like. :psyduck:

Edit: Oh man, someone bought me a custom title. I love it. I can't see in the Awful app, but I hope it's big and red. :allears: You could have left my avatar, though. :(

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 5, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Goons spend money on the strangest things.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I could not deal with my screen being that high, it looks like a pisstake of people who have their screens over the fireplace in that it's not actually possible to get a screen any higher than that one is.

...luckily it's not my house though.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

KillHour posted:

Double edit: I've literally had guests call my audio setup a religious experience. Seriously. I'm very proud of it.

I've had guests ask me if my 106" projection setup was LCD or plasma so...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I didn't say I deserved the praise. :v:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cable management sucks so I don't do it :v: For real I should buy a bunch of velcro straps and some channel for the cables.

Speakers are Gradient Prelude. I'm considering buying their floorstanding 6.0 model to enhance bass. That would mean buying also anti-mode.. and that project is so very expensive. I actually have four speakers but due to space constraints can use only two currently. The TV is on top of a bunch of board pieces for optimal positioning. Ikea's lamp shades never stay straight when you keep turning the lights on and off.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 26, 2015

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Cable management sucks so I don't do it :v: For real I should buy a bunch of velcro straps and some channel for the cables.

....The TV is on top of a bunch of board pieces for optimal positioning. Ikea's lamp shades never stay straight when you keep turning the lights on and off.

This is still one of the most tastefully put-together rooms in this thread, especially over the past year.

Major props for at least endeavoring to make it an inviting space.

And the Preludes are gorgeous.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This is still one of the most tastefully put-together rooms in this thread, especially over the past year.

Major props for at least endeavoring to make it an inviting space.

And the Preludes are gorgeous.

Thanks! The weather is most of the time so dreadful up here in the north, that I'd probably be even more crazy without comforting decor. Most of the stuff is 2nd hand or old, for example the beige sofa, curtains and carpet are over 10 years old. The smaller table is probably at least 30 years old. I remember playing home and listening to tapes under it when I was a kid.

My amp is old 2nd hand Yamaha RX-V1800, paid 250€ for it a few years ago. Budget HTPC in a Fractal Define case with AMD Sempron 145. It runs 1080p movies thanks to the GPU.

Television is random 55" IPS Panasonic with gray blacks but ok viewing angles and colors. On top of the stack of boards I actually have pieces of folded newspaper to make the TV level. Do you have any suggestions how to raise the tv without wall mounting?

While looking at the photo, I realized I need longer speaker cables too :effort:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Why is the TV up so high? Looks weird imo.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

kloa posted:

Why is the TV up so high? Looks weird imo.

It was uncomfortable lower or higher. I tested many heights and current one was the best one. Some people here keep their tv's over the fireplace :D

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The curtains and lamps make that room. I wouldn't have really noticed the tv or speakers had it not been the AV setup thread.

Nice work, really well done.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

Do you have any suggestions how to raise the tv without wall mounting?

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/00280939/

Might wanna go ahead and add a turntable to that setup as well.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 26, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Television is random 55" IPS Panasonic with gray blacks but ok viewing angles and colors. On top of the stack of boards I actually have pieces of folded newspaper to make the TV level. Do you have any suggestions how to raise the tv without wall mounting?
There's lots of options for third-party stands that can be taller than the stock ones. I've got my 55" Sony on this mount and it's high enough I can put a center speaker below it without blocking the picture or IR sensor at all.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

sellouts posted:

The curtains and lamps make that room.

My friend says it looks like flowing bacon. Lamps are Rodd+shade from IKEA.

Endless Mike posted:

There's lots of options for third-party stands that can be taller than the stock ones. I've got my 55" Sony on this mount and it's high enough I can put a center speaker below it without blocking the picture or IR sensor at all.

Derp. I didn't realize they sell tabletop vesa stands too. I need to take some measurements and look how they fit. Thanks for the tip!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That one I bought it solid as hell. VASTLY better than the thing Sony shipped with that appeared to be designed based on hopes and dreams.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
We're in the beginning/middle of a forced remodel, and over the last few weeks we redid the living room. I don't have much fancy gear, but I was pretty happy with how this came out.

I used flat speaker wire on the sub-floor:

The speaker wire is fairly cheap but they gently caress you with the terminals you need:

The flat speaker wire converged behind the entertainment center:

And this is the "final" look, although we still need to pick out some accessories to finish it out.

I need to figure out a good speaker setup for my fronts/center. Right now they're just sitting on top of the entertainment center, which is lame.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sellouts posted:

The curtains and lamps make that room. I wouldn't have really noticed the tv or speakers had it not been the AV setup thread.

That's largely because he put a modicum of thought behind making the room look like a tasteful and cohesive space.

Just going through the trouble of putting up curtains and accent lamps at all is more than can be said about a great many of the living rooms that have been posted in this thread over the years.

My girlfriend and I thrifted/inherited/IKEA'd the vast majority of our apartment and AV gear too. Goons love to overestimate how much money and effort it takes to make a home look better than a bachelor hovel.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The room forces them to not do any of that, ok.

They don't come here look for advice or anything

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I really have no idea how to make my space inviting, but after seeing Ihmemies and EC's posts I'd love some pointers.

Older setup:

Current setup:

A couple of constraints, I'm poor, I live in a rental, none of the furniture is mine, and the walls aren't solid, but I can sew curtains etc. and build furniture pretty easily.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I really have no idea how to make my space inviting, but after seeing Ihmemies and EC's posts I'd love some pointers.

Older setup:

Current setup:

A couple of constraints, I'm poor, I live in a rental, none of the furniture is mine, and the walls aren't solid, but I can sew curtains etc. and build furniture pretty easily.

Throw some lamps in there and replace that horrible carpet to start, then once you have some light in there we can tell you all the other ways that you suck.

Also stop being poor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You probably can't change the carpet, but adding more color will go a long way to making it nicer. Even small accents like pillows on the couch or colorful art on the walls.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This thread isn't for posting about curtains, its for showing off your awesome stereo and media setups !

Post some loving SPL graphs you pussies !

Edit: with that said, I think I'm going to repaint the theater room and add pot lights

Also, I saw these neat lightbulbs with JBL Bluetooth speakers built into them. Any idea if using multiples would result in an odd reverb ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 27, 2015

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

Also, I saw these neat lightbulbs with JBL Bluetooth speakers built into them. Any idea if using multiples would result in an odd reverb ?

I saw these at Lowe's the other day and meant to search around to see if they were any good. Seems like a neat thing that could potentially be super awful.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

This thread isn't for posting about curtains, its for showing off your awesome stereo and media setups !

Post some loving SPL graphs you pussies !

Edit: with that said, I think I'm going to repaint the theater room and add pot lights

No, you don't understand; it's for picking apart people's decor and feeling smugly superior about how tasteful you are. I miss when the thread was about that one dude's kickass McIntosh setup he inherited from his father in law.

And you would probably get weird comb filtering effects from mismatched latency. Ceiling mount speakers are terrible, anyways.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
A speaker that fits in a lightbulb will be terrible, too.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The main goal of this thread is shaming people that mount tvs inches from their ceiling.

And those people that wall mount a tv then put an entertainment console right under it with a bunch of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

The main goal of this thread is shaming people that mount tvs inches from their ceiling.

And those people that wall mount a tv then put an entertainment console right under it with a bunch of poo poo.

I'm literally going to mount a TV ON my ceiling in the bedroom so I can watch movies while lying in bed. The fact that it will give people in this thread a heart attack is just a bonus :smug:

Maybe I'll even figure out a way to put a fireplace in the built-in TV nook for maximum rage.