Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVqkfV1WDDg

Underrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The best part of both Glee and Adele's career was the one scene where Santana slapped the poo poo out of Finn after doing a mashup of Someone Like You and Rumor Has It. poo poo's dope.

CORGI ORGY
Feb 26, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hotline bling owns sorry retard

Boob Dylan
Jan 3, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

The best part of both Glee and Adele's career was the one scene where Santana slapped the poo poo out of Finn after doing a mashup of Someone Like You and Rumor Has It. poo poo's dope.

I hated Glee but this performance is undeniably awesome.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Cut it out

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
If you've got access to BBC iplayer then this is a 45 minute documentary type thing following Charli XCX on tour as she talks about what feminism means for a woman in the music industry these days. She chats to people like Marina, Lizzy from MS MR and other folk.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

Athletic Footjob posted:

Christmas will officially begin with this Wham! cover on Friday.

At the risk of bringing less poppy music in, I'm rather partial to Dick Valentine's cover of Last Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgk4vl4wLDk

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
listening to Emotion again and it reminded me to post one of my favorite album cuts from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBPw0l26L58

On an album where, supposedly, every song was produced with the idea that it could be a potential single, this is one of the few that really stick out as an actual experiment. I'm a sucker for pitched-down vocals, if you didn't guess from that Adele remix I posted earlier, and I really like it.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
They're announcing the halftime act for the Super Bowl on December 3rd. Predictions? My guess is Carrie Underwood, or Coldplay and Rihanna getting split billing. I'd prefer Adam Lambert & Queen or Gwen Stefani , but I'm being realistic here.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Queen Latifah, Dixie Chicks, and Sting

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Better be Rihanna

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

They're announcing the halftime act for the Super Bowl on December 3rd. Predictions? My guess is Carrie Underwood, or Coldplay and Rihanna getting split billing. I'd prefer Adam Lambert & Queen or Gwen Stefani , but I'm being realistic here.

I'm fairly certain they already announced that Bruno Mars was gonna be a headliner, and apparently, he will be "curating" the performance as well. This will just be a performer, and not the performer, so I'm expecting someone like Pharell.

Dream: Outkast.

edit: Yeah, he's curating and almost certainly performing as well. I'm down, Bruno is a great performer and put on a show a couple years ago. I also wouldn't be surprised if the NFL was pushing to bring back past halftime performers, since it's the 50th Super Bowl and all. Maybe Prince, maybe a bunch of people singing Michael Jackson at least once? Janet Jackson again, see if we can expose her other nipple?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I'd be down for another Janet Jackson performance. Her new album was really good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt_e7KL93CU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMQWFqWnDck

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Just do this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1cyCmUdDNQ

Edit: The game itself was awesome too, at the risk of getting sports chat in the music chat.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 30, 2015

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Please don't let Katy sing live.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Weird Al Yankovic. :colbert:

EDIT: With special guest appearance by Left Shark

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Look at this predictive (sort of) post.

Coldplay gets sole billing, probably with some ridiculously mismatched guest artists (J Cole? Kanye?)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I guess nothing gets sports fans pumped up quite like Coldplay. :v:

Seriously, I'm pretty sure even Phil Collins was a more appropriate choice. At least he had a few up-tempo songs, right?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

aBagorn posted:

Coldplay gets sole billing, probably with some ridiculously mismatched guest artists (J Cole? Kanye?)

The Weeknd!!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

PUGGERNAUT posted:

The Weeknd!!

That would arguably save it, so I hope so

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Wheat Loaf posted:

I guess nothing gets sports fans pumped up quite like Coldplay. :v:

Seriously, I'm pretty sure even Phil Collins was a more appropriate choice. At least he had a few up-tempo songs, right?

Eh, Clocks isn't too slow. But yeah, Coldplay are an unusual choice, and I don't even hate them.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Coldplay has released at least one upbeat single from each album since A Rush of Blood to the Head it seems. A Sky Full of Stars, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Clocks, Speed of Sound, Viva La Vida, and the new single that I can't remember the name of are all big-sounding songs that I could see working at a halftime show.

Plus, they could totally open the show with Yellow before blasting into something bigger, plus they always have the option to bring Rihanna in for Princess of China and one of her own songs in the middle.

I think it will go just fine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just think they're incredibly dull. You know, like the Nickelback of Britpop.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

aBagorn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REyKfA4wWeI

:colbert:

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

I forgot that existed, and I retract my "ridiculous" comment.

Coldplay ft Kanye, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Paul McCartney, and Bruno Mars would be the dopest halftime show. Make it happen NFL

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Wheat Loaf posted:

IDK, I think comparing them to Nickelback is a bit much. They're not the most exciting band, but they aren't consistently awful like Nickelback. Besides, Chris Martin is a better singer than Chad Kroeger.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I do wish they had made a more... fun? choice but I've seen Coldplay live and Chris Martin is a riot. Really charismatic and knows how to control a huge stage. I think they'll do better than everyone is expecting.

Superrodan posted:

Coldplay has released at least one upbeat single from each album since A Rush of Blood to the Head it seems. A Sky Full of Stars, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall, Clocks, Speed of Sound, Viva La Vida, and the new single that I can't remember the name of are all big-sounding songs that I could see working at a halftime show.

Plus, they could totally open the show with Yellow before blasting into something bigger, plus they always have the option to bring Rihanna in for Princess of China and one of her own songs in the middle.

I think it will go just fine.

Agreed. drat I really hope they open with Yellow now

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Does Sleigh Bells count as pop? Their new song is awesome! :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJqGM0jGLl0

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Grammy nominations are out! Here are the nominees relevant to this thread. I feel like Taylor Swift has Album of the Year in the bag but Kendrick might (deservedly) beat her out for Song of the Year.

Record of the Year
"Really Love" – D'Angelo and the Vanguard
"Uptown Funk" – Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
"Thinking Out Loud" – Ed Sheeran
"Blank Space" – Taylor Swift
"Can't Feel My Face" – The Weeknd

Album of the Year
Sound & Color – Alabama Shakes
To Pimp a Butterfly – Kendrick Lamar
Traveller – Chris Stapleton
1989 – Taylor Swift
Beauty Behind the Madness – The Weeknd

Song of the Year
"Alright" - Kendrick Lamar
"Blank Space" - Taylor Swift
"Girl Crush" - Little Big Town
"See You Again" - Wiz Khalifa Featuring Charlie Puth
"Thinking Out Loud" - Ed Sheeran

Best New Artist
Courtney Barnett
James Bay
Sam Hunt
Tori Kelly

Best Pop Solo Performance
"Heartbeat Song" – Kelly Clarkson
"Love Me Like You Do" – Ellie Goulding
"Thinking Out Loud" – Ed Sheeran
"Blank Space" – Taylor Swift
"Can't Feel My Face" – The Weeknd

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance
"Ship to Wreck" – Florence + The Machine
"Sugar" – Maroon 5
"Uptown Funk" – Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars
"Bad Blood" – Taylor Swift featuring Kendrick Lamar
"See You Again" – Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth

Best Pop Vocal Album
Piece By Piece – Kelly Clarkson
How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful – Florence + The Machine
Uptown Special – Mark Ronson
1989 – Taylor Swift
Before This World – James Taylor

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Beiber may sweep

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

What a time to be a beleiber

#buggatiboyz

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

gently caress Charlie Puth when you search Marvin Gaye his dumbass name pops up

On Apple Music

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Best Pop Vocal not having Carly nominated is a serious miscarriage of justice.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

aBagorn posted:

Exactly. In fact, I'm now going to go have to listen to the whole thing again because that bugs me so much. (It's still so drat good.)

Re Coldplay chat. They are AMAZING live. Yes they have a lot of low key stuff, but their stadium rockers really do kick butt. They will be fine live.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

See You Again might actually win an Oscar instead.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

aBagorn posted:

Carly Rae Jepsen, Fetty Wap (how is he not a shoo-in for Best New Artist? especially with the four they decided on!), and Run The Jewels are the biggest snubs I noticed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Elucidarius posted:

Does Sleigh Bells count as pop? Their new song is awesome! :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJqGM0jGLl0
I was wondering what this was doing in the pop thread and then I listened to it.

I miss their noisy sound :smith:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wheat Loaf posted:

U2-lite, so...worse than Nickleback.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Or British a-ha :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was wondering what this was doing in the pop thread and then I listened to it.

I miss their noisy sound :smith:

The way I've always looked at their albums is they mix one other genre with their distinct Sleigh Bells sound. This one just seems to be Sleigh Bells + Pop.