Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Wrecked Angle posted:

A friend of mine has been banging on about joining Star Citizen so I'm on the website looking at the different ships. I like the look of the Redeemer Gunship but can't find anywhere that tells me how much that $318.oo costs in real world money.

Do you buy Star Citizen dollars in packs? If so, can someone tell me how much say, 1000 Star Citizen dollars costs (or however many you can buy at a time). Thanks.

e. In GBP if possible

10 space bux = 1 buttcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

A friend of mine has been banging on about joining Star Citizen so I'm on the website looking at the different ships. I like the look of the Redeemer Gunship but can't find anywhere that tells me how much that $318.oo costs in real world money.

Do you buy Star Citizen dollars in packs? If so, can someone tell me how much say, 1000 Star Citizen dollars costs (or however many you can buy at a time). Thanks.

e. In GBP if possible

Whatever is the cost posted in the website that is real money cost. For currency you can change it around top right corner.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Wrecked Angle posted:

e. In GBP if possible

These are real dollars, friend. That is £210~ for a ship that doesn't exist in a game you can't play.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

EminusSleepus posted:

Whatever is the cost posted in the website that is real money cost. For currency you can change it around top right corner.

:aaaaa: £206.70!! Are you loving kidding me?

Am I missing something? This is just 1 ship I can fly in this game right, I don't get an actual spaceship delivered to my door, right?

I don't mind micro-transactions too much but what the gently caress is this? Mega-transactions?

Brb, going to tell my buddy he's a loving lunatic.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 5, 2015

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wrecked Angle posted:

Am I missing something? This is just 1 ship I can fly in this game right, I don't get an actual spaceship delivered to my door, right?

I don't mind micro-transactions too much but what the gently caress is this? Mega-transactions?

It's a good investment and you get to be part Chris Roberts' Vision and save PC gaming.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Well bud! Clearly you have not met Mr Javelin Destroyer and Ms. Idris-p frigate which cost $2500 and $1250 respectively.

You know pixels cost more when that pixels are supposed to be rare

Also if you are referring to the redeemer then I am sorry to say that cost does not include a game because that price is for a standalone ship.

EminusSleepus fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 5, 2015

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Wrecked Angle posted:

Am I missing something? This is just 1 ship I can fly in this game right,

Oh god, of course not

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Gum posted:

Oh god, of course not

Assuming you're not playing dumb for comedic effect, no you're missing nothing. There are people out there that have spent 30k on ships for a game that doesn't exist.

Entire clans that have written training manuals and operational doctrine for a game they're never played.

Stay a while and listen.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Okay, so I spoke to my mate and he said 'Just get a starter pack', but even that's £35 and then apparently you still don't access to the game yet? Even if you plonk down hundreds of £££'s (of loving thousands!) you can't even play the drat game without an invite.

There is a ship pack on that website which is £7800. SEVEN THOUSAND, EIGHT HUNDRED POUNDS!!

fake e. I now realise that all you goons already know all this but seriously my mind has been blown, and not in a good way.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Again, I don't know how you do this without wanting to dropkick your computer through the window. I think I had less trouble learning to drive a stick shift in a real car than you've had trying to pilot a fake Internet spaceship. Eesh.

At least there has been some benefit; your description of using a stolen spaceship to ram your own spaceship to death was one of my favorite posts in the thread.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wrecked Angle posted:

You're not buying a starship*, you're saving PC gaming**!

* Please note donation still requires Value Added Tax and in exchange you will receive access to one (1) starship within the Star Citizen game. Pledged package may not include access to the game itself.

** Cloud Imperium Games has sole and exclusive authority to determine the means by which your funds will be utilized to save PC gaming. This may or may not include research trips to Monaco, $1000 shelves for the break room, funding AAA-rated actors who are horribly utilized, or realizing the visionary's dream of once again being a movie director.

Wrecked Angle posted:

Okay, so I spoke to my mate and he said 'Just get a starter pack', but even that's £35 and then apparently you still don't access to the game yet? Even if you plonk down hundreds of £££'s (of loving thousands!) you can't even play the drat game without an invite.

There is a ship pack on that website which is £7800. SEVEN THOUSAND, EIGHT HUNDRED POUNDS!!

fake e. I now realise that all you goons already know all this but seriously my mind has been blown, and not in a good way.

Purchase of a game package enables you to play Arena Commander (CIG's test bed, SQ42/Star Citizen itself won't be out for at least a year, likely three), but the "Arena Commander 2.0" that they've been showing is still in pre-testing. When it is inevitably rushed out to the public after CIG flogs their developers to death (Merry Christmas!) you will then be able to play it. Please note that this is not a game. It's a demo. Dreams. Dreams are happening.

Also I suspect your friend may want you to do this so you can use his referral code. CIG is pushing something of a pyramid scheme at the moment called the referral program.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 5, 2015

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Personally I think visibility as a balance mechanism is a terrible idea, especially in a game about visual fidelity.

Visual fidelity will not keep any game entertaining over a longer period of time, gameplay will. I personally really like any "soft-stats" that affect the balance, it keeps the min/maxing less straight forward. There are plenty of ships from which you can admire the view from other than the Constellation.

So, I gave the PTU another shot, this time I had a truly epic game session.

Journal entry 2

Dear Friends,

I have finally gotten into the verse and it seems stable enough, finally I could accomplish what I always wanted. I've managed to get onboard a Constellation and hide away in a dark corner in the back. I took my time waiting for the perfect opportunity and as my pilot seemed to be interested in helping the copy-pasted security forces at one of the satellites, it was my moment to take action. I've waited until he was EVAing into the station and lurched forward towards the cockpit and flew off as fast as I could. For some reason however the pilot seat was a little bit bugged and it didn't turn all the way around correctly, obstructing the otherwise wide, clear view from the Constellation.

Such minor inconveniences will not stop me though, I've put my newly acquired ship to good use and I've managed to ram not less than 3 players trying to take off with their puny single seaters to death before my ship's hull gave in. Glorious victory!

I woke up back in my bunk and since nobody was around on any of the platforms I decided to take my own hornet for a spin. Going from station to station looking for some trouble I found an avenger, trying to rearm. I thought to myself, what a waste of time, he could just respawn and get into a fresh fully armed and repaired ship, so I've helped him get there faster.

I also found an aurora at one of the satellites, I've managed to damage him badly, but then he turned on his friendship drive and I had no idea how to do the same, so he got away.

A few dead NPC pirates later I crashed.

What a glorious day!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Personally I think visibility as a balance mechanism is a terrible idea, especially in a game about visual fidelity.

It works well in flight sims. Used to play tons of IL2 with other spergy rivet counters and spent a lot of time making fun of the casual scrubs who played in no-cockpit superman view.

My main problem with that cockpit is it just looks fugly.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Wrecked Angle posted:

Yeah, don't spend any money on this. It will be years before any sort of full release if it happens at all.

Your buddy needs an intervention. But hey, feel free to join us as we continue mocking this shitshow.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Did he give you a referral code? I bet he's trying to get into the super-exclusive "million mile high club". Was: $10,000 Now: only 1,000 referral points.. or $45,000 if you have no friends. Join the cult today, these deals won't last forever!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

MilesK posted:

Did he give you a referral code? I bet he's trying to get into the super-exclusive "million mile high club". Was: $10,000 Now: only 1,000 referral points.. or $45,000 if you have no friends. Join the cult today, these deals won't last forever!

You just know there will be whales who drop $45k to get into a pretend nightclub

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Wrecked Angle posted:

Hello.

Don't donate to invest in buy Star Citizen.

You're welcome.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Wrecked Angle posted:

It's a cult where spaceships are substituted for scientology training courses. He is even doing the whole "first course is cheap"!

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 5, 2015

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

MilesK posted:

There was indeed a referral code.

Just spoken to him again to make sure he hasn't spent hundreds or worse on this bullshit, he assures me he's only 'in' for the starter pack so that's something I guess. He's adamant you'll be able to earn all the extra ships in game but gently caress knows how long it'll take to earn a thousand dollar ship.

When he was telling me about it I thought they'd raised $100 mil through kickstarter, not selling imaginary spaceships for hundreds of pounds.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Haha no they made something like 22 from KS and the rest of Chrandis Hollywood buy in has been from selling jpegs to retards

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Wrecked Angle posted:

Just spoken to him again to make sure he hasn't spent hundreds or worse on this bullshit, he assures me he's only 'in' for the starter pack so that's something I guess. He's adamant you'll be able to earn all the extra ships in game but gently caress knows how long it'll take to earn a thousand dollar ship.

When he was telling me about it I thought they'd raised $100 mil through kickstarter, not selling imaginary spaceships for hundreds of pounds.

However bad you think it is, it's much much worse. Your friend will slowly revel more and more craziness to you until one night he knocks you over the head and you wake up in his "command center"

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Wrecked Angle posted:

God, no. The highest raised money through Kickstarter is this thing called Pebble Time which is a smart watch. They raised $20,338,986 (about 13.5 million pounds). The kickstarter for Star Citizen "only" raised $2,134,374.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
How the hell does Croberts envision WW2 style dogfighting in space ships, in space, 1000 years in the future and not completely realize how loving stupid it is. For someone that's been crowing about fidelity and aesthetic, he completely and utterly fails at realizing it with this poo poo.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

kordansk posted:

How the hell does Croberts envision WW2 style dogfighting in space ships, in space, 1000 years in the future and not completely realize how loving stupid it is. For someone that's been crowing about fidelity and aesthetic, he completely and utterly fails at realizing it with this poo poo.

That's the best part of SC. It only has realism when it makes the game worse.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

I've been assuming this is like Scientology, where lying to non-members is perfectly fine and acceptable, but if he's really only in for the starter pack, that's not too bad. Just wait for the real game to come out in maybe 3 years or so, right now it's only a year past it's release date and almost out of the pre-alpha/tech demo stage. It might be a big scam for coke money/acting careers.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wrecked Angle posted:

e. In GBP if possible

Oh. I can't wait to see the carnage on the next page. I need another coffee for that. brb.

e. yup, that went pretty much as expected.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 5, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

kordansk posted:

You're barking up the wrong tree here bro. Basically everyone saw Star Wars ripping off WW2 movies and thought it was the bees knees for space combat because they were like 6 years old when they first saw it. There's probably lots more creative ways to do it, but nerds want to fire pew pew lasers like Luke Skywalker so were kind of stuck with that being the paradigm.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MilesK posted:

I wonder if SC even has 1000 referrals total. I'm guessing no.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

D_Smart posted:

Oh. I can't wait to see the carnage on the next page. I need another coffee for that. brb.

It really is amazing to see someone with no knowledge of Star Citizen get exposed to the insanity for the first time. It warms my loving heart.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I wonder if SC even has 1000 referrals total. I'm guessing no.

I have little doubt that a certain percentage of SC backers aren't above creating hundreds of extra accounts for referral points. I doubt they'd brag about it though, even for them it's a little pathetic.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MilesK posted:

I've been assuming this is like Scientology, where lying to non-members is perfectly fine and acceptable, but if he's really only in for the starter pack, that's not too bad. Just wait for the real game to come out in maybe 3 years or so, right now it's only a year past it's release date and almost out of the pre-alpha/tech demo stage. It might be a big scam for coke money/acting careers.

You making GBS threads me, right? You do realize that not even 10% of the poo poo below, currently exists, right? Or that only 1/100th of the "world" has been built? To that end, no, it's not almost out of pre-alpha/tech demo because to get out of Alpha into Beta, it implies (well, to us who have spent an entire lifetime developing these things) that everything is in the game and going through final states of implementation and testing.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It really is amazing to see someone with no knowledge of Star Citizen get exposed to the insanity for the first time. It warms my loving heart.

About a year or so ago some forum newbie in GBS saw hello.jpg for the first time and his resulting posts were both hilarious, and eye-opening as to exactly how stuff that's taken for granted on SA looks to people from outside.

This is the same deal, different stretch goals.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Wrecked Angle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7ywfd1qe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnO1sGjfJ_Q

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yes, yes, it's a beautiful thing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

D_Smart posted:

You making GBS threads me, right? You do realize that not even 10% of the poo poo below, currently exists, right? Or that only 1/100th of the "world" has been built? To that end, no, it's not almost out of pre-alpha/tech demo because to get out of Alpha into Beta, it implies (well, to us who have spent an entire lifetime developing these things) that everything is in the game and going through final states of implementation and testing.

It's worth pointing out that for a pre-alpha tech demo to be complete you do not have to have completed world content creation. You simply need to have demonstrated each of the individual elements that you are going to build the world with.

There are still plenty of missing elements, but those are things like NPCs, character progression and persistence, in game economy, looting... loads of stuff - but not the fact that most of the world is missing.

Also, "leaving pre-alpha" means "entering alpha", not entering beta.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chalks posted:

It's worth pointing out that for a pre-alpha tech demo to be complete you do not have to have completed world content creation. You simply need to have demonstrated each of the individual elements that you are going to build the world with.

There are still some missing elements, but those are things like NPCs, character progression and persistence, in game economy, looting... loads of stuff - but not the fact that most of the world is missing.

Also, "leaving pre-alpha" means "entering alpha", not leaving alpha since pre-alpha happens before alpha.

how many solar systems are done right now? 1? out of 100+?

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

ErIog posted:

You're barking up the wrong tree here bro. Basically everyone saw Star Wars ripping off WW2 movies and thought it was the bees knees for space combat because they were like 6 years old when they first saw it. There's probably lots more creative ways to do it, but nerds want to fire pew pew lasers like Luke Skywalker so were kind of stuck with that being the paradigm.

Naw, I know. It's just so goddamn funny that something that worked in a movie - once - is still considered the way space combat must be envisioned.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Don't have a cow man. I always thought 'almost' was a subjective term, much like 'Soon.' Give 'em some time, they'll get there. Though I guess I left out the high probability of croberts throwing everything out and starting over again. This project does love moving backwards.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Wrecked Angle posted:

Ok, let me give you my recommendation about StarCitizen :

DONT GIVE THEM MONEY

Here is the low down :

This project is headed by a team with no previous success at this type of game. They are already 4 year in dev (planning on probably 2-3 more YEARS before release) and have just begun figuring the important (economy, gameplay, world travel) stuff. They are financing themselves by selling very costly Jpegs and promises of awesome things to come.

Some people see the shape of a good game in there, other, not so much but everyone agree that this this thing is on precarious tracks. Some bet they are overspending and will need angel investors to bail them out, some say they will release a singleplayer game and then close shop with plenty of excuses but no refunds.

WAIT FOR THE THING TO GET A COMMERCIAL, STABLE RELEASE. They already have close to 100M$ so they dont need your money to finish the game. If the game is good (hopefully it will be) you will be able to plonk 40-60$ on it and join us bonking pubbies having spend 35K$ on jpegs.

If you really have a space game itch to scratch, go get Elite:Dangerous or the X Series or Rebel Galaxy or Space Engineers, all real games that work and can be purchased right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Actually if you think about it they haven't even made one system. Just one planet and some moons. If this is the largest map size they can make then you're going to have to have loading screens within systems as well as between them.

• Locked thread