Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
A. It feels right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
A

What better story to start with than the first.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

not voting because these are just 32 flavors of praising el, good writing though, waiting for the next scene

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Sermon vote:D vote changed, see below

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 5, 2015

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
A. Start at the beginning.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Crudus posted:

not voting because these are just 32 flavors of praising el, good writing though, waiting for the next scene

There's always write ins. I'll admit I'm morbidly curious to see the response if we picked the following sermon:

quote:

"In the beginning, Asherah swam through the waters and His Hunger was Great as he swam through the deep.

Where Asherah beat his tail the waters were deepened and where he lifted up his tail, rose land. Where he splashed water high was made the sky, stars and moon and sun.

And His Hunger was Great as he swam through the deep.

Where Asherah lowered his fins, came the plants of the sea and where he raised them came the plants of the land.

Asherah cast forth his seed unto the waters and made the Great Fish and their names are Ninveh, Yamsef, Daam, Keenem, Nagaal, Faram, Smis, Adom, Jaar, Xural, Amal, Menl, Garal and Ophama.

Asherah ate the flesh of his sons and daughters and the flesh of their sons and daughters.

Asherah cast his seed upon the land and where it landed came our fathers.

And His Hunger was Great as he swam through the deep."

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
changing vote to E from D

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Crudus posted:

There were 32 flavors of eating the orb but the voters wrote in and stopped it.

I mean I get it, that would never work here and you just want to do something different than most of us and that's cool but I thought I would remind you of that.

cambodian holiday
Sep 4, 2009
A

Jesus is colourblin
Apr 13, 2008

Being colourblind ain't easy :(

Arkanomen posted:

As a side note, as a member of team Hype Train, am I literally beside myself with faith and hype. El is here, with us now and we're going to save hundreds of people enslaved to demons. We sealed a major demon and killed all the evil demon Giants and now are about to give a good and pious sacrifice to El to show these people our faith. The Hype Train has left the tracks and flown into space.

Co-sign. Heart full of El 4 lyfe.

A

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
A

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

A

An introduction to the faith of Ur should begin with the beginning. This isn't some crazy In Media Res religion.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

Hopefully there isn't just a fizzle and nothing burns. It'd be pretty hilarious to have to deal with the fallout from nothing happening tho.

I mean this would be funny and all but I think this is going to be the best sacrifice El's had in literally a thousand years. I don't think we'll have a problem.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Presumably someone from Ur has been around here before at some point - there's the legends of King Amok of the Giants after all. And not too far away was that demonbird gundinosaur civilisation which had the symbol of Mt Har in the prisoner pit.

But it seems likely that this is the first time an Urian hero has strode in, hosed all the demonspawn up, and sacrificed all the treasure in a town.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

A

So hype! :black101:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Fairly certain the Mt Har symbol in demonBirds pit was from one of our Balls- probably Uriah going on the amulet he has that he waved at Amok, carving it in when after they were captured but before they were interrogated and released w/ mindwiping and reconditioning to never return

e:

Diogines posted:

Calm! Calm!" you say to your men "Uriah, we are WHERE?" Uriah says "That is where we found the demon last time Enkidel, I have never seen something so massive in all of my life. We need to get out of here before it spots us."

(...)

Your men are usually fearless, Uriah most of all, has he EVER wanted to run from a fight?

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 5, 2015

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
A, it's a lesson plan that worked for us.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

maxhush posted:

Fairly certain the Mt Har symbol in demonBirds pit was from one of our Balls- probably Uriah going on the amulet he has that he waved at Amok
e:

The Old Tales have stories of heroes and kings making symbols of faith and using them to fight demons. Not having such a thing on hand and seeing what he thought was a powerful demon which had charmed... everyone but him, perhaps he was desperate and trying something unconventional? His necklace is simply ornamental, your certain it is not "magical". Several of your Balls have them, others have different jewelry. A winged sandal, the symbol of Zepath is always a popular one as well.

Paebel has a miniature greatsword, the symbol of Smattas on his necklace which he got from Indor. According to her, it can actually work on "shedim", i.e. "the least of demon". You've seen Paebel try it before, it has yet to work, perhaps he didn't use it in the right circumstances, did not use it in the right way, or maybe for once Indor gave someone a dud despite her wares usually working as advertised?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 5, 2015

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
E

Also I'm thinking that soulstuff/mana comes to humanity from El through the melachim, so all the demons need to use humans as tasty little batteries. Enkidel is half human/half melachim, so maybe he's one of the rare earthly creatures that has a direct mana drip from El instead of needing to go through the melachim. When the demons were cast from heaven, they lost their ability to draw mana from El. Mighty men inherit mana from their bloodline back to Labaras and can get more through the melachim, so they can get mana through Enkidel because Enkidel is half melachim. That explains the bond with our Balls and the drain they have on us sometimes. We need to figure out how to increase our drip from El. Maybe we just need to be more faithful, all you El-doubters.

Diogines posted:

Paebel has a miniature greatsword, the symbol of Smattas on his necklace which he got from Indor. According to her, it can actually work on "shedim", i.e. "the least of demon". You've seen Paebel try it before, it has yet to work, perhaps he didn't use it in the right circumstances, did not use it in the right way, or maybe for once Indor gave someone a dud despite her wares usually working as advertised?

Diog.
We voted to stop having our [???] get drained by Paebel or anyone else right? How does Paebel's presence feel? Do we sense a presence from his pendant?

AlanFrost
Nov 16, 2012
A

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Arkanomen posted:

As a side note, as a member of team Hype Train, am I literally beside myself with faith and hype. El is here, with us now and we're going to save hundreds of people enslaved to demons. We sealed a major demon and killed all the evil demon Giants and now are about to give a good and pious sacrifice to El to show these people our faith. The Hype Train has left the tracks and flown into space.

Hear, hear!

A

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
A + E

Have faith, brothers!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Best, most relatable story.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I would probably tell a story that would reinforce :

You're probably going to die.
But try to die free.
El loves you.
Kill as many demons as you can going out.

Good for when we're forced to leave them and/or they get eaten on the way back.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Also that loving mace. That loving mace bit us. And it scared away Melechim or at least made them too uncomfortable to stay.

I bet just sacrificing that would be pretty loving epic. But on top of First and second? And thirty odd giants?

Holee sheet.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

E

Also I'm thinking that soulstuff/mana comes to humanity from El through the melachim, so all the demons need to use humans as tasty little batteries. Enkidel is half human/half melachim, so maybe he's one of the rare earthly creatures that has a direct mana drip from El instead of needing to go through the melachim. When the demons were cast from heaven, they lost their ability to draw mana from El. Mighty men inherit mana from their bloodline back to Labaras and can get more through the melachim, so they can get mana through Enkidel because Enkidel is half melachim. That explains the bond with our Balls and the drain they have on us sometimes. We need to figure out how to increase our drip from El. Maybe we just need to be more faithful, all you El-doubters.

I think this is probably right in that it all has something to do with Labaras and the Hunger that affects men when they run low on ???.

Maybe the reason some go mad with hunger is their partial Melachim lineage. They have...different Nephesh that can take physical form by consuming [???]. If this Melachim trait is combined with human desire (greed? gluttony? etc.), eventually all hybrids go insane and turn into Hungering husk nephesh. The abilities of Melachim were never meant to be mixed with human desire, and the result is...an eventual abomination. Basically half-melachim are effectively a system error that that screwed up the world.

If this is all true, then the thing that happened on the 6th day, the event that caused Paradise to collapse originally, was a human breeding with a Melachim. This led to a subset of men with the power of Melachim (e.g. Amok) who waged war and ruled over men to sate their desire for [???] and worship, but were effectively ticking time bombs who all eventually became horrible, horrible demons. This would explain why 7Bird instinctively hates us.

Half-melachim, except for a very select few, managed to destroy pretty much everything in the process.

Eventually Labaras comes along and says, "Hey, this poo poo is all kinds of hosed. The gods all keep going crazy and enslaving us!" So he wanders around looking for a solution and discovers The Creator! The REAL god. He realized the other "gods" were just insane partial divinities and thus became a prophet to spread the good word about the actual god... Eventually he comes to the conclusion that the problem is the unnatural nephilim desire for [???] and strikes a plan with the Melachim to save his? lineage or at least some of humanity:

He impersonates the actual El and imprisons himself on top of Mt. Har. The brilliance of the plan is this:

They all get to draw from his [???] well instead of their own through worship, preventing them from going insane with Hunger and eventually eating each other. On the other hand he receives the energy he needs to sustain himself through the deeds of men and recycling souls and thus never goes insane.

Because he's impersonating El, the sacrifices that men make also go to the true creator such that they are simultaneously worshiping a real god AND an impostor god without realizing it. This effectively breaks the cycle of carnage because the partial nephilim no longer empower each other through worship and war, and eventually their unnatural melachim traits will be diluted from breeding only with other men. Sure, this would also work if they were worshiping Labaras directly, but the important thing is that they must not be allowed to know that men can be worshiped in that manner or else the bullshit will continue.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm not so certain the Eagle was Melachim. Friendly to them and possibly working with them yes, but not an actual Melachim.

What's suprising to me is all of the massive amounts of divine intervention we have been receiving just by sacrificing. I'm wondering if its solely due to our actions of 1) killing giants and burning the orbs, 2) trying to liberate human slaves, or even 3) We aren't in Zepa claimed lands, so they actually can intervene.

I haven't seen Slaan vote yet, so I'm giving him the preemptive vote of J - Make a sermon about ensuring that all of the freed farmers marinate and season themselves very good before being eaten by us!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I'm not so certain the Eagle was Melachim. Friendly to them and possibly working with them yes, but not an actual Melachim.

What's suprising to me is all of the massive amounts of divine intervention we have been receiving just by sacrificing. I'm wondering if its solely due to our actions of 1) killing giants and burning the orbs, 2) trying to liberate human slaves, or even 3) We aren't in Zepa claimed lands, so they actually can intervene.

I haven't seen Slaan vote yet, so I'm giving him the preemptive vote of J - Make a sermon about ensuring that all of the freed farmers marinate and season themselves very good before being eaten by us!

Depending on how much aid we continue to get, there's no reason we couldn't attempt to tackle another village in the future other than the huge distance involved.

Although...I think having the orbs available to capture and transport souls was essential to our ability to make progress here. If we didn't have those, it would definitely not have gone as well as it did.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I'd actually have gone the opposite way with theorizing about the difference between the Melachim and Nephilim - namely, that the Melachim have a direct line to El, and everybody else doesn't, and that's why Nephilim go mad.

Essentially I'd suggest that the Melachim are capable of amazing magical powers and abilities which are sustained and fed by their connection to El (or the Creator, or the world, or whatever), which keeps them on an even keel. Humans have no such abilities beyond free will and a soul, but since they don't need to expend anything they don't need a constant intake of soulstuff, either. The problem is when a Melachim breeds with a human, creating something that has amazing magical powers and growth potential but which isn't hooked up to El's fusion reactor. Some inherent property of either their human or their Melachim sides allows them to generate (or passively harvest) mana for a while, but their powers will keep growing and eventually reach a tipping point where they can no longer passively gather mana fast enough to offset the drain that keeping their impossible bodies going entails. That's when the Hunger bites and extreme solutions are sought.

Edit: As an aside, if I recall correctly Amok's story noted that it was the weakest of the Nephilim who gave in to the Hunger first - that the more generations they were removed from the Melachim who fathered them, the faster they went insane. This suggests that whatever the Mighty Men are, they're not unmodified Nephilim, since otherwise allowing them to dilute their bloodline only makes the problem worse.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 5, 2015

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tomn posted:

I'd actually have gone the opposite way with theorizing about the difference between the Melachim and Nephilim - namely, that the Melachim have a direct line to El, and everybody else doesn't, and that's why Nephilim go mad.

Essentially I'd suggest that the Melachim are capable of amazing magical powers and abilities which are sustained and fed by their connection to El (or the Creator, or the world, or whatever), which keeps them on an even keel. Humans have no such abilities beyond free will and a soul, but since they don't need to expend anything they don't need a constant intake of soulstuff, either. The problem is when a Melachim breeds with a human, creating something that has amazing magical powers and growth potential but which isn't hooked up to El's fusion reactor. Some inherent property of either their human or their Melachim sides allows them to generate (or passively harvest) mana for a while, but their powers will keep growing and eventually reach a tipping point where they can no longer passively gather mana fast enough to offset the drain that keeping their impossible bodies going entails. That's when the Hunger bites and extreme solutions are sought.

Edit: As an aside, if I recall correctly Amok's story noted that it was the weakest of the Nephilim who gave in to the Hunger first - that the more generations they were removed from the Melachim who fathered them, the faster they went insane. This suggests that whatever the Mighty Men are, they're not unmodified Nephilim, since otherwise allowing them to dilute their bloodline only makes the problem worse.

Either way I think we can agree that Nephilim were probably the initial cause of the world being in its present state.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

There Bias Two posted:

Either way I think we can agree that Nephilim were probably the initial cause of the world being in its present state.

Well, yes and no. Nephilim madness probably led to the crumbling of many of the great wonders of the past (if only because a lot of those wonders were probably built on the backs of their powers), but Amok's story suggested that the Nephilim only came about because some of the Melachim decided to go all Sodom and Gomorrah on Earth.

So what I'm saying is if you want a root cause, blame this guy:

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I think there's a few reasons why we've been getting so much help from team El. First, the stuff we're doing is totally awesome in the eyes of El. Taking on a demon village, and freeing 500 villagers + who knows how many trapped souls is a pretty big deal. Plus, minus our fuckup with 7-bird we've finally decided to stop being so wishy-washy and just go all in with team El. This is what happens when we stop doubting and second guessing El/the Melachim at every turn. This isn't a game that rewards sitting on the fence, it's a game that rewards picking a side and sticking with it.

Now I'm not saying that team El is perfect, and we need to agree with them on every issue, but showing a consistent level of faith is proving to be rewarding, just as Tudiya and Ish and our whole drat society has always said it would. If we want to change things we're going to have a hell of a better time of it if we try and do it by working within the system as much as possible so that these massively powerful beings that watch our every move actually loving trust us enough to want to give us a hand.

Rahul fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 5, 2015

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Rahul posted:

Now I'm not saying that team El is perfect, and we need to agree with them on every issue, but showing a consistent level of faith is proving to be rewarding, just as Tudiya and Ish and our whole drat society has always said it would. If we want to change things we're going to have a hell of a better time of it if we try and do it by working within the system as much as possible so that these massively powerful beings that watch our every move actually loving trust us enough to want to give us a hand.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: even if you hate the Melachim utterly and think El's a sham, it's pretty clear that the only way we get anywhere is by proving ourselves and following them for now. Gain their trust, become powerful, and once we get to Zepa level (and can actually make demands/have their ear), then try and change the system if we desire.

Rebelling up til now has not only been futile, it's not helped us one bit in life by going against our only true powerful allies.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 5, 2015

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yea well. El still isn't a person but I don't hate Melechim.

Also the birds? Totally Melechim. Maybe just manifestations of their eyes. But still Melechim.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Task Manager posted:

A+E

Was going to vote straight E - but Rahul is right.

I think A and E would be great, and what we should vote for. Give them the story of El, and creation - then explain why we, their savior, did what we did in El's name.
Yeah, same here. A + E. Like, I think a lot of the stories are great, and many could be somewhat appropriate here, but it's A and E which actually give me slight shivers to contemplate being told here. Take their view of the world as thralls, as cattle, and shatter it, and give them a new understanding of the world and what is possible, what is right.

Affi posted:

Also that loving mace. That loving mace bit us. And it scared away Melechim or at least made them too uncomfortable to stay.

I bet just sacrificing that would be pretty loving epic. But on top of First and second? And thirty odd giants?

Holee sheet.
I know! :stare: And to think my idea was "Man, it's pretty heavy, that'd take a lot of work to get to an altar, let alone what kind of an altar we'd use ..." Using one of the main building stones from Gebeb's house is inspired, though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Thanks again for all the theory crafting Tomn,
I'm really interested in seeing how the truth unfold.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Affi posted:

Holee sheet.

After a beautiful speech, you light the sacrifice and

Asherah
Feb 3, 2015

Imagine a maw chomping on a human face -- forever.

Rahul posted:

There's always write ins. I'll admit I'm morbidly curious to see the response if we picked the following sermon:

In the beginning, Asherah swam through the waters and Her Hunger was Great as she swam through the deep.

Where Asherah beat her tail the waters were deepened and where she lifted up her tail, rose land. Where she splashed water high was made the sky, stars and moon and sun.

And Her Hunger was Great as she swam through the deep.

Where Asherah lowered her fins, came the plants of the sea and where she raised them came the plants of the land.

Asherah cast forth her eggs unto the waters and made the Great Fish and their names are Ninveh, Yamsef, Daam, Keenem, Nagaal, Faram, Smis, Adom, Jaar, Xural, Amal, Menl, Garal and Ophama.

Asherah ate the flesh of her sons and daughters and the flesh of their sons and daughters.

Asherah cast her eggs upon the land and where it landed came our fathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Asherah posted:

In the beginning, Asherah swam through the waters and Her Hunger was Great as she swam through the deep.

Where Asherah beat her tail the waters were deepened and where she lifted up her tail, rose land. Where she splashed water high was made the sky, stars and moon and sun.

Where Asherah lowered her fins, came the plants of the sea and where she raised them came the plants of the land.

Asherah cast forth her eggs unto the waters and made the Great Fish and their names are Ninveh, Yamsef, Daam, Keenem, Nagaal, Faram, Smis, Adom, Jaar, Xural, Amal, Menl, Garal and Ophama.

Asherah ate the flesh of her sons and daughters and the flesh of their sons and daughters.

Asherah cast her eggs upon the land and where it landed came our fathers.

Where have you been hiding? I remember the time that I walked on the beach during the with Asherah during the longest days of my lift, but when I turned around, there was only one set of foot prints! I turned to him and asked "Were you carrying me all along?" Then I realized that it actually because he was eating my organs and consuming my flesh!