Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

kordansk posted:

Naw, I know. It's just so goddamn funny that something that worked in a movie - once - is still considered the way space combat must be envisioned.

Elite Frontier did Newtonian space jousting and everyone complained how lovely the combat was. I think that style of combat is more fun to read about it books than it is to play so CIG get a pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Is this cockpit unusual in looking so hideous or are they all like this?

The new multi-crew cockpits are pretty breathtaking, actually:

There's a lot of love in those art assets. You can't expect CIG to not want to show them off.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Just been going back and reading this thread and I see there's far bigger issues with this 'game' than charging hundreds of pounds for some unfinished spaceships. Scary that they've managed to get so much money without even having a product. This isn't some life-changing technology investment, it's a computer game with some spaceships (not) in it.

aleksendr posted:

Ok, let me give you my recommendation about StarCitizen :

DONT GIVE THEM MONEY

Ahh, don't worry. As soon as I realised they were selling internet spaceships for more money than I spend on a decent meal then there was no way I was buying into this bullshit.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Berious posted:

Elite Frontier did Newtonian space jousting and everyone complained how lovely the combat was. I think that style of combat is more fun to read about it books than it is to play so CIG get a pass

That doesn't mean the rest of the WW2 aesthetic with cramped lovely cockpits that have no visibility also needs to stay.

ed: Also watching the Game Awards show and seeing CliffyB state that PC gaming wasn't dead and that it was his preferred platform was especially funny considering mushmouth himself was at the awards presenting.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Breetai posted:

About a year or so ago some forum newbie in GBS saw hello.jpg for the first time and his resulting posts were both hilarious, and eye-opening as to exactly how stuff that's taken for granted on SA looks to people from outside.

This is the same deal, different stretch goals.

What is hello.jpg... I've been on sa for years and don't think I've seen it

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

grimcreaper posted:

must..resist.. urge to post...

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Nation posted:

must..resist.. urge to post...

For some reason I'm going to guess it's goatse unless someone posts to prove me wrong. It's that fyad/GBS humor I'll never get I bet.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

yea its the filename http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=47

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

grimcreaper posted:

Oh come on, that's a stretch.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Just been going back and reading this thread and I see there's far bigger issues with this 'game' than charging hundreds of pounds for some unfinished spaceships. Scary that they've managed to get so much money without even having a product. This isn't some life-changing technology investment, it's a computer game with some spaceships (not) in it.

Ahh, don't worry. As soon as I realised they were selling internet spaceships for more money than I spend on a decent meal then there was no way I was buying into this bullshit.

Best decision you made in your life yet. Else 3 months from now you will be creating sob nerd stories just to ask for a refund.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

WW2 style energy fighting COULD be fun absolutely, but this game has nothing of the sort and encourages tumbling yourself end-over-end to shoot with a faked and bad physics system.

E: let's be honest, if the combat was skill-based the people who spent a lot of money and are bad at it would be alienated since in thir mind they are all Han Solos

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Ragequit posted:

:golfclap:

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Watching Wing Commander. It's not that bad!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hezzy posted:

Now try it sober and/or not stoned.

For bonus points, compare it to the similarly named IP the director was famous for.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

edit: i fail at internets. see post below.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Just googled it. i had a feeling it was goatse. Oh internet, how you never fail to remind me of one of my first truly "WTF internet" moments. That and lemon party. and tubgirl. god i hate the internet.

I had no idea until i put that into google. The poor person who wrote the wiki article on that... :(

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Wrecked Angle posted:

Glad we could help. Feel free to stick around and join the party, we are all continually amazed at where this sideshow takes us.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Hezzy posted:

I like the one where the furry brown people go full jihad on the white dudes. The one with sand nascar isn't as good though.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Wrecked Angle posted:

A friend of mine has been banging on about joining Star Citizen so I'm on the website looking at the different ships. I like the look of the Redeemer Gunship but can't find anywhere that tells me how much that $318.oo costs in real world money.

Do you buy Star Citizen dollars in packs? If so, can someone tell me how much say, 1000 Star Citizen dollars costs (or however many you can buy at a time). Thanks.

e. In GBP if possible

One of the best posts in thread. Don't stop, I'm almost there.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
You making GBS threads me, right? You do realize that not even 10% of the poo poo below, currently exists, right? Or that only 1/100th of the "world" has been built? To that end, no, it's not almost out of pre-alpha/tech demo because to get out of Alpha into Beta, it implies (well, to us who have spent an entire lifetime developing these things) that everything is in the game and going through final states of implementation and testing.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals
It's worth pointing out that for a pre-alpha tech demo to be complete you do not have to have completed world content creation. You simply need to have demonstrated each of the individual elements that you are going to build the world with.

There are still plenty of missing elements, but those are things like NPCs, character progression and persistence, in game economy, looting... loads of stuff - but not the fact that most of the world is missing.

Also, "leaving pre-alpha" means "entering alpha", not entering beta.

Addressing the bold parts:

1) And I never said that you did. But you should have the tech and most, if not all, features nailed down. That's how you go from Alpha to Beta. I didn't say anything about the "world" being complete and/or a pre-requisite. Regardless, most of us who have been doing this for so long, tend to enter Beta with the tech, features and world complete by the end of Beta and ready for RC status

2) If those elements are tied to the tech, then you can't enter Beta without them.

3) I never said leaving pre-Alpha you can go straight to Beta. Because MilesK said they were "almost out of the pre-alpha/tech demo stage", my point was that they can't get out of any Alpha stage to enter Beta with so many things missing from the tech demo

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

how many solar systems are done right now? 1? out of 100+?

Last time I checked, yeah. Unless I missed something.

Amarcarts posted:

Actually if you think about it they haven't even made one system. Just one planet and some moons. If this is the largest map size they can make then you're going to have to have loading screens within systems as well as between them.

Yup, pretty much.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Having never seen his bad movie I just checked and found out that mushmouth put himself in his dumb bad movie. Who on earth wanted to see his ugly face on screen other than him?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ragequit posted:

:eyepop:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Wrecked Angle posted:

Okay, so I spoke to my mate and he said 'Just get a starter pack', but even that's £35 and then apparently you still don't access to the game yet? Even if you plonk down hundreds of £££'s (of loving thousands!) you can't even play the drat game without an invite.

There is a ship pack on that website which is £7800. SEVEN THOUSAND, EIGHT HUNDRED POUNDS!!

fake e. I now realise that all you goons already know all this but seriously my mind has been blown, and not in a good way.

:gary: Welcome to the Verse.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I love the posts where you get a glimpse of how SC fans are perceived by their social circle.

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters
I decided to take a month away from posting here as a thank you for my refund, thank you for the exciting gambling experience SC.

e: also fallout turned me into a zombie.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
It's 5pm and I'm only now managing to crawl out of bed, but turning 30 got me some pretty cool presents

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AlmightyPants posted:

Having never seen his bad movie I just checked and found out that mushmouth put himself in his dumb bad movie. Who on earth wanted to see his ugly face on screen other than him?

I hate seeing Croberts' stupid ugly face but I don't blame him for sticking himself in his own movie. I mean, I would.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Courtesy of:

Zinda Blake posted:

* .     .   °  . ● .    ° ☾ °☆  ¸. ● .  ★  ★ ° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  .  * . .  ¸ .   °  ¸. * ● ¸ .    ° ☾ °  ¸. ● ¸

Zinda is an ace flyer, able to easily handle any type of aircraft. She is a fine markswoman, skilled in the use of a variety of weapons, and has superior abilities in hand-to-hand combat.

She if often known to dual wield hand guns which she is an expert with and on one occasion even used a shotgun. Though she prefers firearms, Zinda is more than capable of holding her own in a fight and does not give up easily.

Zinda enjoys cooking, dancing, and drinking in her spare time. There is a running gag through most issues of Birds of Prey about her strong love for alcohol, which, she boasts, she can order in 30 different languages.

★ ° . .    . ☾ °☆  . * ● ¸ .   ★ ° :.  . • ○ ° ★  .  * .     .   °  . ● .    ° ☾ °☆  ¸. ● .  ★  ★ ° ☾ ☆ ¸. ¸  ★  :.  . • ○ ° ★  .  * . .  ¸ .   °  ¸. * ● ¸ .    ° ☾ °  ¸. ● ¸ .  ★ ° :.  . • °   .  * :. . ¸ . ● ¸    ★  ★☾ °★ .     . 

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I hate seeing Croberts' stupid ugly face but I don't blame him for sticking himself in his own movie. I mean, I would.

It's pretty common, Peter Jackson's been in all his movies to date, Tom Savini turns up in stuff he works on or is associated with a lot. Even George Lucas popped up in that first prequel movie as the king of the JarJar Binks men. The bad part is the role he chose for himself. Directors usually play silly characters, croberts inserts himself as a competent character.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Quality is not very good, but I made you a video. This is showing tech that I developed back in the nineties and which is currently on which UCCE v2.0 (free on Steam) is based.

https://vimeo.com/147947830

The quality is not very good (the original was about 3.5GB and I didn't have time to mess with Handbrake settings), but you should get the gist of it in terms of scale, real-time and hyperjump travel, seamless space/planetary (not some fake sphere) etc.

And yeah, though not shown in the video, you can also EVA from your ship. In space. And fly around with a weapon. Walk around on top of your ship, station etc.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/301745/u-guys-are-really-useless

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Ok, let me give you my recommendation about StarCitizen :

DONT GIVE THEM MONEY

Here is the low down :

This project is headed by a team with no previous success at this type of game. They are already 4 year in dev (planning on probably 2-3 more YEARS before release) and have just begun figuring the important (economy, gameplay, world travel) stuff. They are financing themselves by selling very costly Jpegs and promises of awesome things to come.

Some people see the shape of a good game in there, other, not so much but everyone agree that this this thing is on precarious tracks. Some bet they are overspending and will need angel investors to bail them out, some say they will release a singleplayer game and then close shop with plenty of excuses but no refunds.

WAIT FOR THE THING TO GET A COMMERCIAL, STABLE RELEASE. They already have close to 100M$ so they dont need your money to finish the game. If the game is good (hopefully it will be) you will be able to plonk 40-60$ on it and join us bonking pubbies having spend 35K$ on jpegs.

If you really have a space game itch to scratch, go get Elite:Dangerous or the X Series or Rebel Galaxy or Space Engineers, all real games that work and can be purchased right now.

Thank you for the warning. Myself and other goons would of no doubt dumped thousands into this without your important guidance.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

80% dont think this is serious. Like even if you are pro-croberts rape you should still think massive amounts of people pulling money out of the game is serious.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Xaerael posted:

It's pretty common, Peter Jackson's been in all his movies to date, Tom Savini turns up in stuff he works on or is associated with a lot. Even George Lucas popped up in that first prequel movie as the king of the JarJar Binks men. The bad part is the role he chose for himself. Directors usually play silly characters, croberts inserts himself as a competent character.

lol stop comparing roberts to actual directors its like comparing sandi to actresses

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
http://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

30 mins or so, then maybe Dickwulf will be on, hopefully with clean fingernails this time.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

30 mins or so, then maybe Dickwulf will be on, hopefully with clean fingernails this time.

working in the lesnik poo poo mines all day.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

Is he still banned from the forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Jst0rm posted:

80% dont think this is serious. Like even if you are pro-croberts rape you should still think massive amounts of people pulling money out of the game is serious.

Massive amounts?

• Locked thread