Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

I would trust an ebay key about as far as I could throw your mom

Cool, go buy one from the Microsoft store for $200 like a big idiot then.

Or spend $9 on an eBay key, here's a guy who's sold 300 of them with positive feedbacks for all: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-Pro-COA-Windows-7-Professional-COA-RAM-COVER-Phone-Activation-/181947244712

Microsoft's not going to go and and revoke your Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade. Don't try this at a company where you can be audited, but for home use, technically the keys come with part of the computer so it's still OEM. If it was illegal for sure, Microsoft could have asked eBay to block them, like they did for selling the key without an additional part of the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Zero VGS posted:

Cool, go buy one from the Microsoft store for $200 like a big idiot then.

Or spend $9 on an eBay key, here's a guy who's sold 300 of them with positive feedbacks for all: [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-Pro-COA-Windows-7-Professional-COA-RAM-COVER-Phone-Activation-/181947244712[/]

Thanks for this, I just bought two to legitimize a couple of Win7 installs I have installed on test boxes.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Are the error reports on W10's basic level of telemetry the same deal as the error reports in previous versions where you could choose not to send them or is it all automatically sent?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Does anyone else have trouble with windows 10's startmenu search? It finds my programs, but can't find any files. My index settings are set up properly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dominoes posted:

Does anyone else have trouble with windows 10's startmenu search? It finds my programs, but can't find any files. My index settings are set up properly.

It takes 10 minutes or so if you're just immediately trying it after an update before it shows results, that's how it's been for me on all my work PCs, and all those have solid state drives so yours might be even longer.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Walked posted:

Does Win10 handle high-DPI scaling any better than 8?

I have a retina MBP, but once windows is installed via Bootcamp it is a freaking shitshow in the sense that "hey, everything is tiny as can be" and I can adjust the scaling to an extent; but random things end up super crazy tiny.

Windows 10 itself handles scaling fine. Old Windows applications might not. I've noticed that Java apps in particular have problems. It's a consequence of Windows having to support almost everything from Windows 95 on, and it will probably only get better as legacy code dies out.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
It's definitely better than 8.1, and leagues better than 7. Still nowhere near as good as OS X. Whether that's good enough is, well, subjective. I'd be OK with using one for gaming, but probably not on a general purpose workstation because having to use programs that don't scale properly would drive me nuts.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

dpbjinc posted:

Windows 10 itself handles scaling fine. Old Windows applications might not. I've noticed that Java apps in particular have problems. It's a consequence of Windows having to support almost everything from Windows 95 on, and it will probably only get better as legacy code dies out.

There are parts of Windows itself which are still nasty blur tests.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is there any way to stop Win10 from requiring the Windows Firewall be active for Windows Updates, and App Store Updates?

It wasn't such a big deal when it was just the app store, but after the last major patch for Win10, it seems regular updates require the Windows Firewall be active before it'll download anything.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Silly question, but if you disable the Notifications Area in the taskbar do you not see announcements about installed updates? Despite checking "notify me to restart" I've yet to see some kind of notification for it and only happened to catch one the other day by looking at the Update settings. I had disabled it because there is otherwise nothing in that area that I care about a desktop PC (Airplane mode? WTF?). Wonder if there is a way to customize it to be more user-specific.

Ghostlight posted:

Does anybody know how to disable the login screen after the lock screen?

I have no password on this computer because it's not intended to be secure, but the more recent update has decided that after click/swiping on the lock screen to get back in I now have to also click on a "Login" button. So it takes two clicks to dismiss what is essentially a screen saver, and I otherwise actually like the lock screen so I don't want to turn it off if I can get rid of the useless intervening screen Microsoft have decided I need.
I'd also be interested in this.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is there any way to stop Win10 from requiring the Windows Firewall be active for Windows Updates, and App Store Updates?

It wasn't such a big deal when it was just the app store, but after the last major patch for Win10, it seems regular updates require the Windows Firewall be active before it'll download anything.

I know I'm probably going to regret asking this because Goons, but: Why would you want it disabled? It's a reasonably good layer of security that's not difficult to punch holes in for stuff you need.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Whatever firewall you're using in place of the Windows one should also be preventing Windows from complaining, unless you've done something silly and gotten an off-off-brand one.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

AlexDeGruven posted:

I know I'm probably going to regret asking this because Goons, but: Why would you want it disabled? It's a reasonably good layer of security that's not difficult to punch holes in for stuff you need.

fishmech posted:

Whatever firewall you're using in place of the Windows one should also be preventing Windows from complaining, unless you've done something silly and gotten an off-off-brand one.

I'm using Comodo Firewall. Windows recognizes I have another firewall in place, but it still requires the Windows firewall be active for Updates to download.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Set the Windows Firewall to active, Allow All. Problem solved.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Am I missing something?
I have the firewall disabled and it downloads updates just fine. Are people with problems disabling the service?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Khablam posted:

Am I missing something?
I have the firewall disabled and it downloads updates just fine. Are people with problems disabling the service?

That was it, so stupid I never checked the service. I had the firewall disabled but the service enabled prior to the last big patch, but the service got disable somehow after the patch, and that was what was causing the issue.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
Hopefully this is the appropriate thread to ask in.

I'm currently running Windows 7 on my PC and the option to upgrade to Windows 10 is there.

I just bought a bunch of new pieces for my computer:
1. SSD + 1TB HDD
2. PSU
3. Video Card
4. Case

I'm keeping my old Motherboard, RAM and CPU.

Basically, what I want to do is get a fresh copy of Windows 10 up and running when I finish the PC upgrade. I won't be using my old HDD as it is starting to click.

What's the best way to go about this? I'm afraid if I upgrade to Windows 10 now, my PC won't be recognized and it won't reactivate when I switch out so many parts and try to fresh reinstall.

Thanks in advance for any advice goons!

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Based on my hardware upgrade experience, here's what I'd do:

0. Use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB installer for Windows 10.
1. Do the Windows 10 upgrade on your current hardware configuration. Hopefully, your clicking hard drive won't conk out in the meantime.
2. Boot into the new OS and confirm it is activated.
3. Shut down the computer and remove the hard drive, replacing it with just the SSD.
4. Boot to the USB you created in step 0 and do a Custom Install (this will be a clean install).
5. After installation and initial setup is done, confirm Windows is activated.
6. Do the rest of the hardware upgrade.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Doesn't the new installer just take Windows 7 and 8 keys? Seems like a better idea to just install fresh with the old key and not have to worry about killing off your old hard drive in the middle of the giant storm of activity that is installing an OS.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Oh yeah. I forgot about that. If you have a key, much better to just do a clean install right away.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Geemer posted:

Doesn't the new installer just take Windows 7 and 8 keys? Seems like a better idea to just install fresh with the old key and not have to worry about killing off your old hard drive in the middle of the giant storm of activity that is installing an OS.

Woah, are you saying the win10 installer I can make from the USB media creation tool will just take my win7 key so I don't have to deal with install-upgrade-install on a new build?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

Woah, are you saying the win10 installer I can make from the USB media creation tool will just take my win7 key so I don't have to deal with install-upgrade-install on a new build?

While I haven't done it myself, I'm pretty sure I've read in this very thread that the new* version of the tool can take old keys so you don't have to do the whole song and dance, yes.

*November update

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Geemer posted:

While I haven't done it myself, I'm pretty sure I've read in this very thread that the new* version of the tool can take old keys so you don't have to do the whole song and dance, yes.

*November update

That's great news. I haven't gone through the thread so I'll go hunt for the post now. I just downloaded the tool so here's hoping. One less step would make me very happy.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Richard M Nixon posted:

That's great news. I haven't gone through the thread so I'll go hunt for the post now. I just downloaded the tool so here's hoping. One less step would make me very happy.

Let us know. I thought you could only use the old key if doing an upgrade.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I did find a news article that said since build 10565 we can use win 7/8 keys, even with a non-activated copy post-install (by changing keys in Windows settings).

E: here's the source straight from the Windows build patch notes.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 5, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I just used an old win 7 key to do a fresh win 10 install a few days ago.

I didn't put the key in during install, I found the control panel applet where it says my copy of Windows wasn't activated and clicked whatever there to activate with my win 7 key.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Posting here a solution to a problem I'd taken days of googling and event viewing to solve. I had a clean install of Win10Pro x64 on a Lenovo T420s (no idea if hardware is relevant, but hey), and it would sleep after 2 minutes of inactivity, even though I had set the power options to never sleep. The problem was that there is a hidden advanced power setting I had to unhide and change from 2 minutes to a proper value.

The best part of this story is that this problem did not happen on the exact same laptop on Win10Pro x64. The difference then was that it was on a spindle hard drive that had been upgraded from Windows 7. The problem only started after I put in a new-in-box SSD and clean-installed the OS. Yay compooters :downs:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've got a Lenovo yoga 2 pro, and while I upgraded to win10 I don't think windows installed onto the SSD. How do I go about re-installing clean? And when I do, do I simply point the installer towards the SSD instead of the regular hard drive?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have that laptop and it only has an SSD. What is this second drive?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I've got a Lenovo yoga 2 pro, and while I upgraded to win10 I don't think windows installed onto the SSD. How do I go about re-installing clean? And when I do, do I simply point the installer towards the SSD instead of the regular hard drive?

Download the ISO and put it on a USB drive, then boot from that. You will be able to wipe the drive and install over whatever's there.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

hooah posted:

I have that laptop and it only has an SSD. What is this second drive?

Believe it has two storage bays if you open it up

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I just updated my HTPC to Windows 10. And it's ok, but a few things really irritate me.

1) The full screen start menu has groups that I can't get rid of. I took everything out of them but I just can delete them so it makes the icons not arrange like my old system
2) Modern apps have a persistent task bar. Netflix used to default full screen, not I can't make it full screen and cover the task bar all the time.
3) there's more but at the moment I forget. In general, it's no different than Win8 really.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

With the whole forced down your throat update thing, does it install drivers too or just "Important" updates?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Anyone have a fix for the Z77 Intel graphics problem? I had to just take out my gpu to install the November update because it would hang on installing drivers and that was a hassle. So far as I can tell I can't turn off the integrated gpu in bios (why??) so I have to boot into safe mode and disable it in system settings, then shutdown, install my gpu, reboot.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
What's the recommended replacement for Media Center's ability to record tv?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

What's the recommended replacement for Media Center's ability to record tv?

Personally not updating the TV machine from Windows 7 until MS tells me I have to, because beyond 7 WMC just isn't supported and far as I know it's the only thing that does protected content.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

LethalGeek posted:

Personally not updating the TV machine from Windows 7 until MS tells me I have to, because beyond 7 WMC just isn't supported and far as I know it's the only thing that does protected content.

What if I don't have cable, and am just recording the over the air signal?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

2) Modern apps have a persistent task bar. Netflix used to default full screen, not I can't make it full screen and cover the task bar all the time.

This is so annoying, but if your device is not in tablet mode it goes into true full screen.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Drunk Badger posted:

What if I don't have cable, and am just recording the over the air signal?

HDHomerun with Emby or Emby+Kodi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

I dunno if somebody else has run into something similar, but I'm having some weird issues with Win10.

I put together a new machine and installed just fine, straight to Win10 64 Home version. Everything was working fine until it decided to update itself... it proceeded to install the update, but got hung up at 97% for ~8 hrs. After that, I had to manually power off and restart the machine from its physical buttons. While it was booting back up, it displayed a "Returning to previous version of Windows" message.

Now I'm currently experiencing these symptoms:
1. Whenever I restart it, either from the start menu option or from the case's physical button, it'll come back with no network connectivity until I physically shut it down and power it on later. It says the network drivers failed to load, which is bullshit b/c they're the latest drivers and they work fine afterwards.

2. The system won't sleep/hibernate correctly. Either option seem to make it crash silently and render it unable to recover, which forces me to power it on from the case's button.

Should I just reformat everything and do a fresh reinstall, or would it be better to learn to live w/o sleep, hibernate and reboot?