Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
FIA prize giving picture dump. Featuring everyone gets a medal, loads of people no one has heard of and a literal clown, or it might be a mime, it introduced the Mercedes gently caress knows why. It honestly looked boring corporate as gently caress and clicking the link isn't really worth it.

http://www.fia.com/multimedia/image-gallery/2015-fia-prize-giving-ceremony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
But thanks for sharing anyway.

I just noticed I haven't saved all the dank f1 memes of this season, quelle heurreur!

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Riso posted:

But thanks for sharing anyway.

I just noticed I haven't saved all the dank f1 memes of this season, quelle heurreur!

There have been dank F1 memes this season?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
http://wtf1.co.uk/placesalonsowouldratherbe/

And all those photoshops after massa nearly ran over Arrivabene in the pit lane. Fun fact, for a week after Arrivabene's email inbox was repeatedly filled with every single one of them and they were all sent to him by massa.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
As someone completely out of touch with my own generation I have no clue what a "dank meme" is. Can somebody please explain?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

1500quidporsche posted:

As someone completely out of touch with my own generation I have no clue what a "dank meme" is. Can somebody please explain?

Probably some reddit bullshit

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

it amuses me to no end that mclaren not winning a race for three seasons - a pretty normal scenario for any team that's be around F1 for an appreciable amount of time - and honda needing more than one year to produce a competitive engine somehow means mclaren is going to die. it reminds me of when they went out of business in 1996.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

1500quidporsche posted:

“Dank Memes” is an ironic expression used to mock online viral media and in-jokes that have exhausted their comedic value to the point of being trite or cliché. In this context, the word “dank,” originally coined as a term for high quality marijuana, is satirically used as a synonym for “cool.”

To put it into context, Kimi is the dankest of all F1 drivers.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Brainwrong posted:

“Dank Memes” is an ironic expression used to mock online viral media and in-jokes that have exhausted their comedic value to the point of being trite or cliché. In this context, the word “dank,” originally coined as a term for high quality marijuana, is satirically used as a synonym for “cool.”

To put it into context, Kimi is the dankest of all F1 drivers.

Your brain might be wrong but thank you for this wonderful explanation.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

:toot:

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

be nice wicka posted:

it amuses me to no end that mclaren not winning a race for three seasons - a pretty normal scenario for any team that's be around F1 for an appreciable amount of time - and honda needing more than one year to produce a competitive engine somehow means mclaren is going to die. it reminds me of when they went out of business in 1996.

Hopefully McLaren doesn't think like this themselves. There's no guarantee that they'll ever be successful again, so they should work like hell to avoid the worst case scenario. If they assume that they're bound to be a top team again sooner or later because of REASONS then they are already hosed.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finally watched Abu Dhabi and I hope Williams sorts out their pit issues for next season. That was super amateur.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
so is the entire teaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

Perhaps but the MP4/9-MP4/11 were reasonably competitive upper-midfield cars. The MP4-30 is the worst car they have ever created. I realize virtually all of this is due to Honda but still.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

RALF posted:

Hopefully McLaren doesn't think like this themselves. There's no guarantee that they'll ever be successful again, so they should work like hell to avoid the worst case scenario. If they assume that they're bound to be a top team again sooner or later because of REASONS then they are already hosed.

yeah moron i didn't say "they'll just be better again because REASONS." they'll be better because have the best facilities in the sport, the third highest budget, some of best racing engineers in the world, and honda investing hundreds of millions to perfect their engine. use your loving head.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Perhaps but the MP4/9-MP4/11 were reasonably competitive upper-midfield cars. The MP4-30 is the worst car they have ever created. I realize virtually all of this is due to Honda but still.

"but still" what? if virtually all of their struggles now are due to honda then why is mclaren being criticized? obviously they underestimated the time it would take for honda to produce a good engine but otherwise bringing them in was obviously the correct move. does anyone really think mclaren would have ever been a title contender again as a mercedes customer?

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

be nice wicka posted:

yeah moron i didn't say "they'll just be better again because REASONS." they'll be better because have the best facilities in the sport, the third highest budget, some of best racing engineers in the world, and honda investing hundreds of millions to perfect their engine. use your loving head.

They should not take for granted that they will be a good team again for any of those reasons.

When they look at Williams they should not think that they're never gonna end up in their position. Instead they should take every possible precaution to avoid it.

They've had three seasons with a grand total of zero wins and like two podiums. Thinking this is just a slump and that competing for WDC's is their Status Quo is dangerous thinking at this stage IMO.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
McLaren are already at Williams level, both shite teams.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

RALF posted:

When they look at Williams they should not think that they're never gonna end up in their position. Instead they should take every possible precaution to avoid it.\

if you think williams is a relevant comparison then you know literally nothing about F1

wicka fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 5, 2015

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

and again...other teams have had similar slumps. ferrari has gone through the same poo poo. literally the only reason anyone is claiming this is the death of mclaren is because they don't like mclaren and want them to die. that's it. it is a completely unjustifiable position otherwise.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Maybe if McLaren wants to start winning races again they should hire Pastor Maldonado? after all he was able to win with a fricking Williams!

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
stop making me agree with wicka for fucks sake

for reals thought every time brundle said 'honda need to sort that engine soon' I yelled through my my screen THEY CANT BECAuse tokens you fuckwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

El Hefe posted:

Maybe if McLaren wants to start winning races again they should hire Pastor Maldonado? after all he was able to win with a fricking Williams!
this wont happen because the obsessive cleansliness of woking and ron is known, and pastor has a smelly rear end because theres no toilet paper in mexio

Dubs fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 5, 2015

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dubs posted:

for reals thought every time brundle said 'honda need to sort that engine soon' I yelled through my my screen THEY CANT BECAuse tokens you fuckwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

32 tokens for in-season development in 2016. this year honda had 9.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Honda is going to focus on reliability for 2016 so they are still going to be painfully slow, then in 2017 they can focus on improving performance, it is known.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Dubs posted:

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

be nice wicka posted:

and again...other teams have had similar slumps. ferrari has gone through the same poo poo. literally the only reason anyone is claiming this is the death of mclaren is because they don't like mclaren and want them to die. that's it. it is a completely unjustifiable position otherwise.

I'm actually surprised that Ferrari has been as competetive as they've been this season. I also don't think there's any guarantee that Ferrari will be champions again just because of their legacy or anything. Besides this year I'd argue that Ferrari's form been pretty similar to McLaren's since at least 2009.

Williams is, in my opinion, a good comparison because it proves that past records means jack poo poo if you don't deliver anymore. But I'll guess we'll have to agree on disagreeing.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Ferrari hasn't improved poo poo in 2015, they just managed to keep up. Williams didn't.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Riso posted:

Ferrari hasn't improved poo poo in 2015, they just managed to keep up. Williams didn't.

that's called improving Riso

if they hadn't improved they wouldn't have won 3 races

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

El Hefe posted:

that's called improving Riso

if they hadn't improved they wouldn't have won 3 races

No, they only kept pace with Merc, which is barely keeping up.
Last year RBR took all three non-Merc victories, this year it was Ferrari.

They can't fight Merc, they didn't close any gap; they're just less poo poo than the others.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Can someone explain to me why everyone hates Red Bull so much? 2015 was my first F1 season so I'm pretty confused.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

RALF posted:

I also don't think there's any guarantee that Ferrari will be champions again just because of their legacy or anything.

are you literally a retarded person? no one ever said mclaren or ferrari would win again because of their legacy. i said mclaren will win again because they have tools at their disposal that rival or beat every other team in F1. same goes for ferrari.

quote:

Williams is, in my opinion, a good comparison because it proves that past records means jack poo poo if you don't deliver anymore. But I'll guess we'll have to agree on disagreeing.

what mistakes did williams make that led them from dominant champions to where they are now? are mclaren making those same mistakes? no, not at all. that's why it's objectively not a relevant comparison. there's no "agree to disagree" when you are provably wrong.

wicka fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 5, 2015

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

El Hefe posted:

Honda is going to focus on reliability for 2016 so they are still going to be painfully slow, then in 2017 they can focus on improving performance, it is known.

What the gently caress were they doing this season then?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

not really, no

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

keevo posted:

What the gently caress were they doing this season then?

Being embarrassingly poo poo and unable to fix their engine thanks to the stupid rules

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

be nice wicka posted:

not really, no

Arai already said that's exactly what they are doing wicka

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Arai already said that's exactly what they are doing wicka

sure did not

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lou Takki posted:

Can someone explain to me why everyone hates Red Bull so much? 2015 was my first F1 season so I'm pretty confused.

A lovely sugar water company that did well when they came into the sport. They had a tantrum when they didn't win, blamed it publicly on Renault. Acted like massive shits when they couldn't find an engine.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
/shrugs

Senna era lotus team that won everything skulked off out of the sport in receivership as caterham, benneton became Renault which became a broke arse lotus which nearly went the same way. Williams lost all that sweet tobacco money and didn't have the funds to be remotely competitive until they got booze money. Money, money is the pattern here and provided Ron isn't completely full of poo poo and is able to spend more than the med field teams I think they will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

/shrugs

Senna era lotus team that won everything skulked off out of the sport in receivership as caterham, benneton became Renault which became a broke arse lotus which nearly went the same way. Williams lost all that sweet tobacco money and didn't have the funds to be remotely competitive until they got booze money. Money, money is the pattern here and provided Ron isn't completely full of poo poo and is able to spend more than the med field teams I think they will be fine.

williams' booze money isn't all that much (15m/year?) and i've heard they're trying to renegotiate for more, but for the most part yeah, a combination of williams not keeping up with exploding budgets plus failing to find a works engine partner. which is funny because people are idiotically comparing mclaren to williams despite mclaren's current struggles being a result of them actually planning ahead and trying to avoid williams' fate by not becoming a customer team. and mclaren even turned down martini's title sponsorship over because it was laughably low. people criticize mclaren for not signing more sponsors, but look what happens when you accept a cut rate. it undermines all future negotiations. it's not surprising that sponsors aren't offering up the big bucks for a team that is currently so poo poo, but as long as they can fund the team then going without many sponsors for a couple years is clearly the right move.

also ron's claim is independently verified, they're very well-funded: http://www.crash.net/f1/news/221835/1/f1-2015-team-budgets-published-but-which-team-spends-most.html

wicka fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 5, 2015

• Locked thread