Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

It's me. I'm the AU
That's actually perfectly fine, AU is the short form of astronomical unit, which is the standard distance unit when we look at the stellar systems on the whole.

The rest though. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Of course it's perfectly fine
You think I want to be a non-standard unit of astronomical measurement?
Jeez

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Of course it's perfectly fine
You think I want to be a non-standard unit of astronomical measurement?
Jeez
Honestly you'd fit place, astronomy is land of units as idiotic as speed of light in feets per nanonsecond (roughly 1, by the way :v:).

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
That right axis :argh:

Oops new page.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kalstrams posted:

Honestly you'd fit place, astronomy is land of units as idiotic as speed of light in feets per nanonsecond (roughly 1, by the way :v:).

That's just silly. Now excuse me while I open this 12-cubic-attoparsec can of Diet Coke.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Haha yeah that's just like some people who measure height in feet or weight in stones!

More seriously, I love dumb units and the astronomical unit is pretty great in its arbitrariness.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Fathis Munk posted:

More seriously, I love dumb units and the astronomical unit is pretty great in its arbitrariness.
Do you now?

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

That really is remarkable.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Nice :eyepop:

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
gotta watch out for that cake

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Pretty sure this is in a text book teaching kids how to interpret piss poor graphs that were made incorrectly, which is a really really good skill to teach.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

I don't see what's wrong with this graph

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Slovenia and Slovakia are both proportionally terrible at reading. Personally I blame confusion over which country they're in. How're you supposed to read if it's impossible to differentiate the name of your country from another one?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Albino Squirrel posted:

Slovenia and Slovakia are both proportionally terrible at reading. Personally I blame confusion over which country they're in. How're you supposed to read if it's impossible to differentiate the name of your country from another one?
The disparity between Slovenia's reading and math scores is only two more than that between South Korea's.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

This graph would probably be just fine if they swapped Reading with one of the other columns, since most of the countries have Reading either higher or lower than Science and Math.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

dpbjinc posted:

This graph would probably be just fine if they swapped Reading with one of the other columns, since most of the countries have Reading either higher or lower than Science and Math.

I'm guessing the point is to have the UK scores in ascending order, since it's black, bold and in the title. Maybe if it was more spread out, with fewer countries? The graph is an amazing combination of making perfect sense and being totally impenetrable.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

How drugs are you on a scale of 5 to scale

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

grate deceiver posted:

How drugs are you on a scale of 5 to scale

I'm circled triangle

How do people even come up with this? Are they using a program that lets them easily combine different metrics and visualization techniques into single images? This is the visual data equivalent of amateur jazz improv.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

twoday posted:

I'm circled triangle

How do people even come up with this? Are they using a program that lets them easily combine different metrics and visualization techniques into single images? This is the visual data equivalent of amateur jazz improv.

This is a pretty simple network visualization that only shows connections to one node (and doesn't show the edges, obviously). The size of the other nodes implies some information about the rest of the network. It's not that bad but the excessive labeling and description makes it seem far worse.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:lol: a superfluous representation that is also wrong. Nice.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
jesus what is that, kill it with fire :psyduck:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

jesus what is that, kill it with fire :psyduck:

That's a cruel reaction to someone suffering edema.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ughhhh

Technically showing true facts but drat that one bothers me.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah Fahrenheit are a shameful unit, :agreed:

E: It's great because I have no clue if this is supposed to prove or disprove climate change.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Fathis Munk posted:

E: It's great because I have no clue if this is supposed to prove or disprove climate change.

If it's from Nation Review, it's probably supposed to show that racial segregation is a good idea.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oh so it's that kind of site? I guess they blew up the scale to try and prove the point that temperatures did not change drastically in that case? Which would be more on the dishonest than the disingenuous side then.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Why doesn't the chart go up to 212F? Why are they trying to suppress a huge swath of the temperature scale at which water is still a liquid?

Calculus Man
May 6, 2007
Forever vigilant against the evil power series!

People posted loads of parody graphs in the replies.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Calculus Man posted:

People posted loads of parody graphs in the replies.

I particularly like the one that graphed global population with a Y-axis from 0 to 5 trillion and the "William F. Buckley's Body Temperature" one.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The temperature has gone up by like 3 degrees (scale is too small to see properly, but something like that anyway).

That's quite a lot. Good graph.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Fathis Munk posted:

From one of the twitter comments:

"there are two types of countries, ones that use metric, and ones that have been to the moon."

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

StandardVC10 posted:

I particularly like the one that graphed global population with a Y-axis from 0 to 5 trillion and the "William F. Buckley's Body Temperature" one.

The best one is where someone posts a graph of the increase in CO2 concentration over time, and someone else just rotates it so the line is going down and claims the CO2 levels are now in sharp decline :xd:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
And the person who posted the original graph was not appreciative of the joke.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"there are two types of countries, ones that use metric, and ones that have been to the moon."

Liberia's been to the moon?!?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Tell that to the poor Mars Probe that fell victim to the evil of clinging to an old unit system.

quote:

However, on September 23, 1999, communication with the spacecraft was lost as the spacecraft went into orbital insertion, due to ground-based computer software which produced output in non-SIunits of pound-seconds (lbf s) instead of the metric units of newton-seconds (N s) specified in the contract between NASA and Lockheed. The spacecraft encountered Mars on a trajectory that brought it too close to the planet, causing it to pass through the upper atmosphere and disintegrate.

:patriot:

I just never understood why people are so adamant about keeping feet and inches with all their weird idiosyncrasies instead of transitioning to metres like almost all of the rest of the world. Hell even England is transitioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Americans are lazy.