Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I probably would too.

FA is way better than MS from what I've seen of this chapter.

FA was... Bad in different ways. They had the characters' voices down, but god did they need a proofreader; their translations could be awful sometimes. This, meanwhile, seems technically proficient but like they don't know the characters' voices or the context of a lot of things. Like, again, the flashback to Shigaraki last chapter; "roaring with laughter" is, despite technically being a way to translate what was said, completely and utterly wrong for the context and what's being talked about there. It also frequently just doesn't sound good, like All Might calling Deku "Little Midoriya" rather than "Midoriya, my boy" or even just "Midoriya-kun" (what I'm assuming the original says, though I could be wrong). Which is saying something, since usually using the suffixes in English is the worst option.

Of the two, I prefer FA, but they really, really need someone who's good with English to join their team. Also, they don't really have much right to complain about someone else picking this up, given that they admtited to half-assing their translations a while ago after it got an official release.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
FA attempts to give the characters personalities in their speech by translating their use of honorifics and vocabulary but they kinda overdo it at times, and their grasp of English grammar when translating some stuff is atrocious. But generally it's pretty readable.

The official volumes I've bought are insanely, insanely dry and literal in their translation so the characters feel a lot less distinct which sucks.

Mangastream couldn't even decide on what to call quirks and there's a bunch of really obvious literal translations in there that need punched up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

FA attempts to give the characters personalities in their speech by translating their use of honorifics and vocabulary but they kinda overdo it at times, and their grasp of English grammar when translating some stuff is atrocious. But generally it's pretty readable.

The official volumes I've bought are insanely, insanely dry and literal in their translation so the characters feel a lot less distinct which sucks.

Mangastream couldn't even decide on what to call quirks and there's a bunch of really obvious literal translations in there that need punched up.

Basically. I liked the line about the government not allowing "displays of 'individuality'" in public as a euphemism for the prohibition on power-usage, but, again, "personalities" is a bad term for them in general. Either FA needs a person who can speak English well or MS needs someone who... I don't even know. Actually knowing the series would be a start; a lot of the lines in here have me half-convinced that whoever translated this started reading the series with this chapter because, like I said before, it feels like it's being translated without regards to context or continuity.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So basically FA is still the better choice at this point.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
MS probably won't give the dog mayor, or whatever he was, all those puns next time he shows up. And we are all worse off for it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Fallen Angel's site also doesn't constantly try and redirect me to a bingo game app (as the primary audience for shounen manga is clearly 60 year old women) before punting me back an extra page, so they have that going for them too.

Last time I looked into it AdBlock on phones was poo poo and didn't work. I'll be real loving happy if that's changed.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 4, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Adblock browser.
Jesus christ use adblock browser.

Why the gently caress are mobile ads so loving obnoxious.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
FA is having issues I think because their raw provider got arrested.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Fuckin' love the expressions.

Ochako had a lot of good faces this chapter.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
There were just so many great little details this chapter. Iida's over-the-top gesticulations are back; Shinzou passing in the hallway; Catface Policeman; Mineta's slavering over Class B's girls (who are really cute); the kid's desperate bid for the bus... For some reason, the part I enjoyed the most and let a huge "HA!" at was when Pixiebob(?) glommed onto Midoriya's face.

Did FA translate the little side dialogue that sometimes shows up? Because they're small, but they add so much.

"In my heart?"
"It's 18!!"

Also, oh god that last page. :allears:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Decided to reread the chapter; looks like MS is fixing things up a bit. They changed "Little Midoriya" to "Midoriya, my boy" like FA does, not sure if they changed anything else yet. Kind of sick so there may be more things I'm not noticing.

Edit: They're also using "quirk" now, but the grammar's taken a dive; "public display of 'quirk'" makes it sound like they just swapped the words out without looking at the actual lines.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 4, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I really like that Deku's mom looks like a proper mom now. Like she looked like a young mom in the prologue but she looks like a normal pudgy old mom who worries too much about her son now. :3:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

Edit: They're also using "quirk" now, but the grammar's taken a dive; "public display of 'quirk'" makes it sound like they just swapped the words out without looking at the actual lines.

Sounds like Stain's new cover album, "Vulgar Display of Quirk."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Decided to reread the chapter; looks like MS is fixing things up a bit. They changed "Little Midoriya" to "Midoriya, my boy" like FA does, not sure if they changed anything else yet. Kind of sick so there may be more things I'm not noticing.

Mangastream's MO for a while has been to speed translate and then as they get corrections or alternate translations they make changes. It's lazy and one of the reasons I stick with groups that put out later translations (or the guys from /a/ since their stuff is readable).

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I really like that Deku's mom looks like a proper mom now. Like she looked like a young mom in the prologue but she looks like a normal pudgy old mom who worries too much about her son now. :3:

You mean 'now' as in 'the present time of the manga', right? I think even in Chapter One she's definitely way more middle-aged compared to her flashback self.

insert asian female aging joke here

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Er, when I said prologue I more meant the flashback, yeah. When she was a young mom and Deku was a little kid.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This chapter really gave me a Hunter x Hunter vibe. Which is good.

That said I will say this is the first chapter to make me think the story could've afforded to slow down a little bit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You'd think you could be more honest with the kids about the poo poo you're making them do what with psychotic murderer people wanting a piece of them now.

"Yeah, so it's pretty clear now the villain alliance is going to start targeting you guys now. We're moving up your combat training in case you have to defend yourselves again. If you want out of UA, now's the time."

There you go, done. Horikoshi's pretty good about addressing stuff like this normally.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Notice who the four were who immediately mauled the dirt clod monster.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Fabricated posted:

You'd think you could be more honest with the kids about the poo poo you're making them do what with psychotic murderer people wanting a piece of them now.

"Yeah, so it's pretty clear now the villain alliance is going to start targeting you guys now. We're moving up your combat training in case you have to defend yourselves again. If you want out of UA, now's the time."

There you go, done. Horikoshi's pretty good about addressing stuff like this normally.

They would probably be targeted regardless of whether or not they were in UA at this point. If anything they should start figuring out ways to keep the parents safe.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
With the villain alliance targeting the students, I'm worried that some of them will end up dying soon. I don't want to loose any of them. :ohdear:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Rhonne posted:

With the villain alliance targeting the students, I'm worried that some of them will end up dying soon. I don't want to loose any of them. :ohdear:
I'm quitting the comic if Tsuyu or Pinky go.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I'm less worried about one of the kids dying than failing out of the class, which seems much more likely.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Given how the series has progressed thus far I honestly wouldn't expect anyone to die before All Might, which will happen.

Afterwards, who knows.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Bad Seafood posted:

Given how the series has progressed thus far I honestly wouldn't expect anyone to die before All Might, which will happen.

Afterwards, who knows.
My statement is backed up for after All Might's heroic death, 5 years from now once the author finally settles into a Big 3 style pacing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's a shounen manga, guys, none of the kids are going to die. All Might on the other hand, seems to be throwing up every red flag in the book!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dunno. Bleach seems to be killing people like it's going out of style.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Really, it's almost a question of how All Might dies, and when, rather than if. Shigaraki's the most obvious possibility, but there are multiple other things that could get him too. The fallout from that should be interesting as well.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dunno. Bleach seems to be killing people like it's going out of style.

And then bringing them back.

Beyond villains and the supplementary gang introduced in the same arc, few have actually died.

The rest return as zombies, cyborgs, owls, flamingos, etc.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's hardly unheard of to have teen characters die in shounen battle manga but that doesn't really fit the tone established so far. I kinda hope he has the balls to knock maybe one of them off at some point to prove they're not off limits (otherwise why should we ever worry about them?) but no way is anyone stealing All Might's thunder by dying before him.

Also as far as 1-A goes I'd actually really miss like any of the students if any of them died. Bleach I could give a gently caress about the 200,000 auxiliary characters who exist mainly to get massive holes blown in them for stinger pages.

I keep having this recurring nightmare where Horikoshi pulls out the American comic playbook and builds up Uraraka so he can fridge her later.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
All Might is even more important to the world of heroes than I thought. Not only is he a beacon of hope for humanity, he's also the only thing preventing untimely character death.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Honestly All Night's demise is being pushed so hard I almost feel like there's going to be a turn and he'll make it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All Might: I MUST RETURN TO MY HOME PLANET, I AM NEEDED THERE.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

All Might will die. He may not be "Killed," but he will "Die."

Could lead to a tonal shift; might not. Based off what I've read of Kohei's stuff I don't feel like he's a kill em' all author, but given the nature of some of the things he's introduced into this story I'd be more surprised if nobody else died. Don't think it'll be more than a few characters though.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

Could lead to a tonal shift; might not. Based off what I've read of Kohei's stuff I don't feel like he's a kill em' all author, but given the nature of some of the things he's introduced into this story I'd be more surprised if nobody else died. Don't think it'll be more than a few characters though.
I hope you're prepared for the manga to go all Bokurano the chapter after All Might dies.

... Personally I expect that we're just gonna lose people slowly, maybe with a heavy amount of deaths in the endgame. I'm thinking Jojoish rate.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
In the aftermath of All Might's death Bakugou goes "Punisher", Deku becomes the hero we need, but not the one we deserve.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
If I had to make a guess I'd say the two most likely to bite it after All Might breaks the death seal would be Todoroki and Iida. Todoroki's quirk is quite frankly way too good, and I can definitely see him being taken out in a climactic second act finale, possibly a self-sacrifice or a failure on the part of another student, of which my money would be on Bakugou. Iida I can see filling a similar role for Midoriya or Uraraka, but also his personal issues with lack of flexibility and rashly tracking down Stain the first chance he could might get him in a position like before but without people to save him.

I feel like until he builds the rest of the class up a little more most of the others would lack any sort of emotional impact you'd get from one of the main 5 (except maybe Tsuyu).

Kind of a morbid topic now that I think about it but I guess anime has desensitized me to fictional teen death.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 6, 2015

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I'm wondering if something will happen to All for One the moment All Might dies. And One for All's potency for that matter.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Bad Seafood posted:

All Might will die. He may not be "Killed," but he will "Die."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TriffTshngo posted:

If I had to make a guess I'd say the two most likely to bite it after All Might breaks the death seal would be Todoroki and Iida. Todoroki's quirk is quite frankly way too good, and I can definitely see him being taken out in a climactic second act finale, possibly a self-sacrifice or a failure on the part of another student, of which my money would be on Bakugou. Iida I can see filling a similar role for Midoriya or Uraraka, but also his personal issues with lack of flexibility and rashly tracking down Stain the first chance he could might get him in a position like before but without people to save him.

I feel like until he builds the rest of the class up a little more most of the others would lack any sort of emotional impact you'd get from one of the main 5 (except maybe Tsuyu).

Kind of a morbid topic now that I think about it but I guess anime has desensitized me to fictional teen death.

I think these reasons are also why Shinsou is in danger if he becomes more prominent; his quirk is really binary and an effective instant-win if it works, so I figure he'll probably join Class A as is being foreshadowed, have some success there, and then, if this goes into a place where the students start to die, he'll be one of the first to go. Besides the above reasons, it'd be tragic after his whole story and him succeeding in spite of everything, and also, his quirk forces the villains to shut up and I don't think the author's going to want Shigaraki and co. to not be able to ramble psychotically and have villainous monologues in their subsequent appearances; if Shinsou does become a more regular character he's going to get neutralized or separated or something a lot if he doesn't outright die or something.

Which is sad because I really like him. He's great.