Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Daztek posted:

I see we went from IT'S ALPHA to IT'S CLOSED ALPHA, what's next? IT'S PRE-ALPHA?
It's all Greek to Chris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Berious posted:

:chanpop: Now just make a magic 8 ball that usually says "redo it" and you've pretty much automated Chris' role,

This, so bad. With that button on that page, it'd pretty much sum up the entire Star Citizen project perfectly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

woah, woah, calm down there sparky.

:psyboom:

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Sarsapariller posted:

After a long night of editing it's done. Be gentle, I am still learning the editing software.

I present to you the ptu experience in video form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI

That's awesome but should end in a crash to desktop

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Post pictures of the kittens you've sacrificed so far to Our Lord Derek that he might bless us with the ruination of Star Citizen.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
posting on the page of the beast, hail satan
may you continue to be as real as this game

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

After a long night of editing it's done. Be gentle, I am still learning the editing software.

You are cool and good.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Hail satan

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

woah, woah, calm down there sparky.

Like most projects that operate with absolutely zero oversight or accountability, it is of the highest efficiency.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Hail Stan

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax
Stale ham

:smuggo:

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Hail Satan

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

It's worth taking a moment, when watching this, and remembering that this is 3+ years and $100 million into development. Maybe in another two years they can get it into a state where it can be comfortably released on Steam Early Access!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Sarsapariller posted:

Bravo!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

Lmao, this is the best game!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Jew posted:

quote:

It really depends on the game engine, and what you are setting out to accomplish. IIRC cryengine (like most FPS engines) operate by having a terrain map with a bunch of 'simple' objects sitting on top of it. While the rocks, floors, etc. have collision detection on them, your character is actually moving relative to the underlying terrain. So while you might be standing on top of a building, the map's gravity is trying to pull you back to the terrain. The only thing stopping you from being pulled through the building is an invisible barrier. You can see this sort of thing happen in a lot of Star Citizen videos.

Generally in games, vehicles are objects that sit on top of the terrain. They aren't too different from an exploding barrel, in that you can pick up, and push over. There is no terrain inside a barrel or a car. Vehicles just have more elaborate sets of animations (your character getting in and out, affixing the player model inside the car model), and special behaviours (camera repositioned, player movement replaced with car movement).

This is how Arena Commander works - your vehicle is an object (far off the ground) moving relative to an invisible terrain map with zero gravity. It is the reason why they could release it a couple of months after the hanger release. It is just a regular map with a couple of unusual modifications, and starts you inside a vehicle with spaceship style handling. The spaceships work in a similar way to how the buggies work on planet-side.

In Star Citizen 2.0 there is a terrain map inside the vehicle. There are also terrain maps inside other vehicles, and on stations (and presumably on planets). The problem is that in Cryengine, there is only one terrain map, and the co-ordinate system is relative to terrain map. How do you have your terrain map and your opponents terrain maps move discontinuously from one another? The game engine just does not recognise and understand the problem, it fundamentally is not programmed to. You can imagine the millions of problems this creates, why they spent so long hacking a solution, and why Derek says that you need to build a custom engine for these sort of games.

In GTA a vehicle is an object in the game world. In Star Citizen a vehicle is a game world, in a shared space full of game worlds, and all of these game worlds move, have physics, and behaviours that are independent from one another. There are worlds inside objects inside an even bigger world
thanks, these breakdowns are pretty helpful for me. In some ways it helps me recognize how impressive Alpha 2.0 is, in the sense that the engineers managed to make something that even resembles a rudimentary work-around to what seems like an impossible problem.

Technically it's not impossible. After all, some of us have done it in the past, but with engines we wrote specifically for the games were building. Heck, even the Star Wars game does it. You just have to build an engine for it.

The problem they have is all down to a) CryEngine3 b) inexperienced team on a massive learning curve

Here is how to visualize the problem:

1. you are in an aircraft (dynamic) flying from NY to CA
  2. the world (dynamic) outside is your terrain
  3. you are seating in a seat looking out the window (the world moves by, this is your HUD)
  4. you decide to get up and walk to the bathroom while looking out the window
  5. you walk past person A who gets up and moves ahead of you
  6. you walk past person B who gets up and moved behind you in the opposite direction
  7. you walk past person C who gets up, fucks it all up, by stepping in your path, triggering a collision inside the aircraft
  8. the aircraft hits turbulence, which rocks it, thus causing everyone to lose their footing; triggering even more collisions

You need to handle translation, physics, effects etc for the world, the aircraft and everyone inside it. That's multi-crew.

The problem they have is that while CryEngine does have support for rigid and dynamic bodies - which is how they handle their vehicles - it was never designed to handle the complexities of people inside a vehicle doing different things, while that vehicle in in motion. Plus, the CryEngine networking layers isn't even robust enough to do what they wanted. Just ask anyone who has ever worked with it.

If they had spent two years building a custom engine a) they won't have had anything to show these years, thus making all this money b) the game won't have gone into active development until 2014 at best

Since croberts decided to change the game, they ended up with a situation whereby they now had an engine that, while allowing very high visual fidelity, is not complex enough to do what croberts wanted and had promised past $2m.

That's they they're hosed.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

Hey- does anyone have a good free video editing suite they can recommend? I want to make a thing.

Fraps or nVidia ShadowPlay to capture

VirtualDub for editing

Handbrake for conversions

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Derek, if you could, would you take over development of star citizen

It would be the objectively funniest thing in the universe if you did

I get asked this a lot. No, I wouldn't. Primary reason being that I would throw everything out and revert the game back to vision 1.0. That would piss off a lot of people, thus negating the benefits of my involvement. Here is how I responded to this back in Oct.

quote:

I am not going to make design suggestions because

1) I don’t have access to the design docs, so I have no idea wtf they’re doing
2) That would imply that they have the tech to execute on the project

If I were somehow the head of RSI/CIG tomorrow, this is what I’d do:

CORPORATE PLAN

1) Fire Chris Roberts, Sandra Roberts, Ortwin Freyemuth effective immediately. Note: Erin Roberts remains where he is.
2) Strip all three of all shares in all companies (aside from Ortwin’s previously established companies used for this project e.g. Twin Bros GmBh which has been doing some refunds)
3) In exchange for 1 & 2, construct an agreement whereby the company would not pursue legal action against all three if no evidence of fraud exists or later uncovered
4) Work with the FTC on a reasonable plan to alleviate whatever it is they’re planning on doing as per their investigation
5) Hire a competent person with experience heading multi-studio gaming companies
6) Layoff all non-essential personnel and maintain the 3 (US, Frankfurt, Manchester) studios essential to the short-term goals
7) Further cost cutting by hiring experienced third-party contractors to handle critical work
8) Create a plan for the game’s production, communicate that plan to backers

DEV PLAN

01) Halt any/all production work on Arena Commander, Star Marine, Multi-Crew, PU 2.0. No more updates. Maintain as separate branch until further notice. See #7
02) Replace the CryEngine3 netcode with a more robust and massively multiplayer capable middleware solution such as either ReplicaNet or RakNet
03) Focus on Squadron 42. Strip out any dependencies on Star Marine, Arena Commander, PU 1.0. By retaining the core functionality of what’s needed for and crucial to SQ42, it cuts down on the resources required to maintain these differing code bases and allows SQ42 to go full bore ahead.
04) Focus on building the Social/Planetside module for those areas that are pertinent to the SQ42 story line. Nothing else.
05) Focus on building ONLY the assets (ships, planetside, weapons etc) crucial to SQ42
06) If SQ42 requires fps modes to move the storyline forward, either strip (since SM is required) that, or strip all non-essential items from SM module to the bare essentials
07) Setup a ghost team (4 people) to come up with a plan for Star Citizen (includes Hangar, Star Marine, Social/Planetside, Persistent Universe)
08) Hire a third-party contractor to build a parallel XB1 and PS4 branch for SQ42. Some backers are going to cry foul. They’re inconsequential to the big picture; so ignoring them is better than arguing. They’re going to still be pissed; but they’ve been lied to so much already, my guess is that some truth and hard decisions would go a long way. Alternate sources of legit revenue is better than selling goddamn pictures of ships!

END RESULT

1) A PC/XB1/PS4 stand-alone mission based SQ42 with space combat. And depending on storyline, stripped down elements of Star Marine, Social/Planetide. Note that SQ32 is already using the flight dynamics model from Arena Commander anyway.
2) A separate more manageable Star Citizen project with an open world MMO environment. Anything (hookers? farming? alien languages? – seriously?) that even looks like a pipe-dream, get rid of it.
3) A lot of pissed off backers.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Sarsapariller posted:

when the ship disappears and the weapons fall on the ground was loving funny

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

quote:

quote:
In the process of resolving performance issues and introducing other client fixes, a few new crashes have been introduced. We are aware of and working to resolve these. This is part of the overall stabilizing process, and we appreciate all of your assistance!
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/301708/2-0-0h-publish-to-ptu

Say it ain't so, Joe! :qq:

Remember back when I said that the fate of the v2.0x kernel is going to mimic that of v1.0x?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That's because, as we already suspected, it has flatlined. Past the two back-to-back fund raising events (CitizenCon / Anniversary), that's it. Now Christmas is coming, a bunch of new games are hitting.

Oh, and the thousands (travel/accomodation expenses, cost of the spot etc) they spent on the gaming awards has had no effect on funding. Which goes back to what I've said that beyond the whales, funding for the game has peaked.

2016, they're hosed. You heard it here first.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

Brilliantly done video good sir. However I'm disappointed by the complete lack of air horns.

Gary is too :gary:

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That 2015 anniv sale is a sign of things to come. How did it compare to 2014?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

BMan posted:

I have been infused with glorious purpose.

http://robo-roberts.appspot.com/

It's powered by :science:neural networks:science:

:yikes:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

titaniumone posted:

reading this crazy thread and derek smarts posts has made it clear that while star citizen is all flash and no substance, Derek's games are all substance and no flash.

this isn't very constructive criticism but I do wonder if Derek's games would be more well known (and popular) if they had a bit more graphical polish and more of a general flare.

there is a lot of cool poo poo in LOD but it looks so dated that for the average gamer it's probably going to get passed over. which is a shame since star citizen is a piece of garbage but it looks cool so idiots love it

That's a pretty accurate statement.

Anyone who has followed my games has known that I always value substance over flash. I do try to get to the point where graphics are adequate, but I don't focus on them as a selling point for my games because at the end of the day, it's all about striking a balance.

And yeah, LOD is a totally different type of game. Though we are doing some heavy improvements to the art assets, the art style is specific to the game. And going with high visual fidelity (after all, it does use a very capable graphics engine) would mean that the game wouldn't be playable for a large number of people, given that its running in real-time, processing both space and planetary scenes in a 100% persistent universe.

To contrast, if Universal Combat had the graphics fidelity of Star Citizen, it simply won't run at any decent frame rates.

And that's precisely why I opted not to use my already established engines for LOD. They are far too advanced, do way too much and it would have meant stripping and/or disabling a lot of functionality in order to get a stripped down version for LOD. Pretty much what Star Citizen is going with CryEngine in trying to shoehorn the game into it. I decided to just go with a new custom-build engine from the ground up; and I don't regret that decision.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sarsapariller posted:

wow! good job.

So what editing software did you end up using?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

D_Smart posted:

That's because, as we already suspected, it has flatlined. Past the two back-to-back fund raising events (CitizenCon / Anniversary), that's it. Now Christmas is coming, a bunch of new games are hitting.

I wonder if CiG are planning an interim US CitCon to boost sales?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
this popped up on the SQ42 page, it's a pretty unique takzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Gerbil_Pen posted:

That 2015 anniv sale is a sign of things to come. How did it compare to 2014?

This year, during the sale they averaged $400,000 per day and dropped down to $40,000 average in the week that followed. A year ago, they averaged $120,000 per day during the sale which dropped to $80,000 in the week that followed.

It's an interesting picture, 2.0 clearly had a much greater impact on their sale days than AC did a year ago, but their average outside of that sale is greatly decreased. They seem very reliant on sales and hype in order to maintain funding which will get harder to do as the 2.0 shine wears off.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

So I got yet anooooother Star Citizen newsletter today and went "jeeze, how long have I been waiting on this now?"

Checked my email history, it's now been just over three years.

Checked this thread, said, "Yeah time to call Mastercard."

Chargeback proceedings begun, sent CIG a support request with the reference numbers and stuff from my bank, asking for a refund. Let's see how it goes.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

fuctifino posted:

I wonder if CiG are planning an interim US CitCon to boost sales?

Wow who is this young and attractive intern who is walking through hangars to see if they are big? :swoon:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Gary Oldman in the profile photo is such a great touch.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Decrepus posted:

Wow who is this young and attractive intern who is walking through hangars to see if they are big? :swoon:

such an important task can only be handled by the VP of marketing and defacto #2

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Delightfull. Short, concise, excellent work. Good timing on the soundtrack too.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

this popped up on the SQ42 page, it's a pretty unique takzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I love poking fun at Star Citizen but gaddang was that painful to read. I really, really hope Ben put that together instead of Dave Haddock.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I hope they schedule the con somewhere where what's left of the crashed Wright Flyer III is exhibited.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

A Neurotic Jew posted:

from romping around on the subreddit it looks like the amount of crashing in 2.0h is dire compared to 2.0g.

99 bugs in the code,
99 bugs in the code !
Take it down, patch it around,
117 bugs in the code !

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Gary Oldman in the profile photo is such a great touch.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
All Hail OldMan!

:gary: Eyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaarp! :gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Derek, help!

After seeing this:

"All aircraft (fighter x12, gunship x7, shuttle x2) have now been unlocked for creation and use. If you’ve seen some of the videos from the early dev stages, now you get to experience it yourself."

I logged into LoD to try it out, but I am lost. Where do I find them and how do I use them?

They're not out yet. You are reading the change log for the upcoming major build. That's why there are XX chars in the build number and release date. I do this in order to give the heads up of what we're working on and coming next. Aircraft unlocks is the most anticipated feature and I expect to have it out this month.

The latest build released on Friday is .06.

• Locked thread