Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Kins posted:

It's worth taking a moment, when watching this, and remembering that this is 3+ years and $100 million into development. Maybe in another two years they can get it into a state where it can be comfortably released on Steam Early Access!

Correction

4yrs (they didn't throw out the 1yr work prior, and I have it on good authority they paid themselves for that work, right off the bat)
+
$100m
+
over 500 (at its peak) people
+
croberts
=
pre-Alpha-Alpha (for a game coming in 2016)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Jobbo_Fett posted:

All Hail OldMan!

:gary: Eyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaarp! :gary:

demonic gif for a demonic page.

edit; gently caress!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

this popped up on the SQ42 page, it's a pretty unique takzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dear god

if the script for this movie is half as bad as that blurb, it'll still read like fan fiction written by a high school kid.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

A Neurotic Jew posted:

demonic gif for a demonic page.

edit; gently caress!

I'm glad I got it in :devil:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

fuctifino posted:

I wonder if CiG are planning an interim US CitCon to boost sales?

Venue scouting aka another holiday thanks backers

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just noticed this beautiful comment on the Sandi CitCon US pic

The screens were only on for Sandi's speech. It was, and still is, always about her.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

fuctifino posted:

The screens were only on for Sandi's speech. It was, and still is, always about her.

They couldn't afford the electricity to run them. If only fans had donated more :(

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gerbil_Pen posted:

That 2015 anniv sale is a sign of things to come. How did it compare to 2014?

11/2013.....$7,880,937
11/2014.....$6,123,928
11/2015.....$5,374,050

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

A Neurotic Jew posted:

this popped up on the SQ42 page, it's a pretty unique takzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

That reads like it could be a stand-in for the way backers view themselves. Stunted careers because they're just too drat smart and stubborn believers in something "bigger than themselves".

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

fuctifino posted:

Imagine driving all day and staying in a lovely bed and breakfast just to see mushmouth and you didn't event get that. It's tough out there for a citizen

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fuctifino posted:

That better not be real.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

They're not out yet. You are reading the change log for the upcoming major build. That's why there are XX chars in the build number and release date. I do this in order to give the heads up of what we're working on and coming next. Aircraft unlocks is the most anticipated feature and I expect to have it out this month.

The latest build released on Friday is .06.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Just a heads-up, for the wing-suit I didn't see any indication of my current fuel level, I noticed it was slowly charging up over time, but it would be handy to know in advance how long of a flight time I should expect to get out of it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm bother by Mark Hamill's character's nickname.

Why not just call him "The Vet", then at least some FNG could ask if its because he likes animals or some poo poo. Maybe have other squad members play along and create an elaborate backstory for an "Ah, gotcha!" moment?

Christ, Roberts. You suck.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

All Hail OldMan!

:gary: Eyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaarp! :gary:

Bwhahah!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm bother by Mark Hamill's character's nickname.

Why not just call him "The Vet", then at least some FNG could ask if its because he likes animals or some poo poo. Maybe have other squad members play along and create an elaborate backstory for an "Ah, gotcha!" moment?

Christ, Roberts. You suck.

It's actually a great name. I know of a movie that did something similar with Jason Statham's character and that movie turned out to be a cult hit.

I am talking about the masterpiece titled "In the name of the King".

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Ah ok, that makes sense. Just a heads-up, for the wing-suit I didn't see any indication of my current fuel level, I noticed it was slowly charging up over time, but it would be handy to know in advance how long of a flight time I should expect to get out of it.

The wingsuit doesn't use fuel. And since you have no control over the descent, you're alive for as long as you're airborne :)

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

fuctifino posted:

can anyone tell where this is? Let's play Where in the World is Carmen Sandi-ego (backer funded!)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iglocska posted:

It's actually a great name. I know of a movie that did something similar with Jason Statham's character and that movie turned out to be a cult hit.

I am talking about the masterpiece titled "In the name of the King".

The last person I saw call a well-respected actor "Old Man" they got in a protracted fight in a train and one person died via defenestration. Long Con, indeed!

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

A Neurotic Jew posted:

can anyone tell where this is? Let's play Where in the World is Carmen Sandi-ego (backer funded!)

The font on "United" looks like it is from an old Air Force One, but I have no idea where they keep the formely used ones on display

e: Apparently its the Ronald Reagan Library:

RuckusRouser fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 6, 2015

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Where in the World is Carmen Sandi's ego
Everywhere

bumbles
Nov 26, 2015

by Lowtax

lol jesus

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Cruisin' to Comm Array 126. The 66,000 KM and 19.5 hour story.

quote:

SC Alpha 2.0H(ype). This was using the solo play since I don't think I would stay connected for 19+ hours anyways.

So I decided to travel from Port Olisar to Comm Array 126 (the closest point of interest). Total distance was about 66,000 KM. Travel time estimated at 19.5 hours. It took longer than that since I had to dial down my cruise speed from 945 m/s to 605 m/s while I slept in real life so I didn't have to wake up at 4 AM in the morning to see my arrival.

There were some nasty deep space effects such as: (1) swollen hands (2) helmet floating away (3) overall character shifting and warping (4) default view point shifting over time (5) and some other weird stuff.

Comm Array 126 did load and show up as expected. The only downside was that so did the pirate AI and they crashed the process. The good news is that you can in fact go exploring at cruise speed(though there probably isn't anything to see between POIs)

Anyways check out the imgur album and youtube videos to see the journey and Comm Array 126 finally coming into view in the last video (I forgot to take screenshots of the comm array coming into view too busy taking video and steering my ship so as not to crash):

http://imgur.com/a/cdhiX
https://youtu.be/lZuLksRKRlU (video of weird deep space effects)
https://youtu.be/RRiKjeyVNbY (arrival at Comm Array 126)

Note: The freezes in the video did not occur on my system. They only showed up in the video.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

D_Smart posted:

Correction

4yrs (they didn't throw out the 1yr work prior, and I have it on good authority they paid themselves for that work, right off the bat)
+
$100m
+
over 500 (at its peak) people
+
croberts
=
pre-Alpha-Alpha (for a game coming in 2016)

You should probably subtract croberts in that equation, Derek, it's pretty clear that he's not helping the project

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I got into the alpha. Here is a video of one of my first times playing, note I have no idea what's going on nor have I ever played this game before. I managed to get onto some random guys ship and then I died alone in a remote part of space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFxYe7d5_ds

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fuctifino posted:

hahahha what a narcissistic harpy

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I watched the first 15 mins of last night's stream, and the audio was terrible.

They were using these mics too:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

The wingsuit doesn't use fuel. And since you have no control over the descent, you're alive for as long as you're airborne :)

My bad, think it was a jet-pack then! You pick it up in a supply depot together with a bunch of weapons on Heatwave and it allows you to fly (using "c" or "v", can't recall). It definitely had some sort of recharging fuel mechanic!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, why not use a normal venue and have some college kids make you a stage prop of a ship lol

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I think the big thing with 2016 will be SQ42 and whether or not it is a success. No co-op and no multiplayer doesn't sound like an attractive purchase for 59.99. I pick up all my single player games years after release for <= 10 bux and it works out well. I also think there is a serious chance of an official Squadron 42 boycott effort due to CIG's shady business practices. It deserves its own website.

What I'm wondering about is the technical feasibility of a Squadron 42 release in 2016. Will they be using the same tech underlying the PU 2.0 or will it be its own separate build? Some people have indicated that by taking the PU 2.0 offline things get much more stable. Is it easy for them to just disable the online components to release a relatively stable single player experience?

Also, can anyone speak to the structure of their netcode and whether it is more, less, or equally vulnerable to hacking/cheating than other prominent franchises? Anti-hacking measures are less important in games like WoW or Eve but hacks can really be gamebreakers in twitch-based play.

EDIT: Also someone should notify Obama about what's happening with Star Citizen via a "We the People" petition at https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

My bad, think it was a jet-pack then! You pick it up in a supply depot together with a bunch of weapons on Heatwave and it allows you to fly (using "c" or "v", can't recall). It definitely had some sort of recharging fuel mechanic!

Yeah, it's the jetpack. And the fuel gauge is to the lower-right in that small UI

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, it's the jetpack. And the fuel gauge is to the lower-right in that small UI

Dammit, didn't see that.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

FrankieGoes posted:

Why are you being so mean to my dad?

Oh gently caress you little bitch, trying to encroach on my thing where I claim to be Derek's family...

Nah jk, Welcome cousin. :)

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

D_Smart posted:

It's not a bug. Those are all valid camera views but with different camera types. In fact, F9 and F10 have multiple views which you can cycle through while pressing the keys. See p5 of the game keys.

When you are in hyperspace, the ship is invisible. The parts (around 3:30 and beyond) where I was looking around at the ship, and it was visible, that's real space; though moving very - very - fast because I had my finger on the thrust.

Also, ships that are in hyperspace have a Blue box visible in the HUD or in Tacops. That's why when you click on them, there is nothing to see.

And yeah, intruders are a pest. Some (depending on AI) will just sabotage poo poo and leave. Others will steal poo poo and either transport out back to their ship (if still around) or steal one of your fighters or shuttles and bugger off. The assholes who steal all your valuable cargo, are the worst because they come heavily armed and can take out all your marines.

You can go to PERSCAN and enjoy the fun as they play hide and seek with your marines through the entire ship. That's a completely separate AI tech running the crew simulation. Which is why the crew can get tired, go off-station, go eat, get rested etc. It's all simulated in real-time and runs completely independently of what is going on in the outside world or other parts of the ship. That's why in the video, I sent a team to the transporter, then beamed them to the planet surface. That's how you go on away missions. And if you beam a team of marines into the middle of hostile territory, you can leave them there to battle it out, while you observe from Tacops or just bugger off and go do something else. The game won't stop because the *entire* galaxy (space and planets) runs in real-time. No instancing. No sharding. No bullshit.

Once I built that engine, all I did was build the games (Battlecruiser which morphed into Universal Combat once I added fps and a bunch of other crap) on top of it. Which is the reason why I needed to build a new engine for LOD because this legacy engine just didn't have the graphics prowess for that game and it would have taken way too much time to retool that (because of the planets) and I would lose a lot of functionality that just works.

So I figured that the best way to preserve the old gal (BC/UC), was to give it a graphics boost (engine, redo ALL the assets, fx etc), while retaining all that ground-breaking tech. That's why no new features are promised in that DLC.

Though one thing I always wanted to do, was add the 3D cockpits (from All Aspect Warfare / Angle Of Attack) to all the crafts. That would allow me to also have 3D bridges for all the capital (carrier, cruiser, transport) ships in the game. If you have seen Into The Stars, then you already have an idea what I am planning. But better. The original BC3K (see below) had that, but it was just a 2D image. If I do it in 3D, you will be able to see bridge personnel go on and off the bridge as they go to other parts of the ship. I'm not going to model the entire ship (like the three deck Starguard carrier in LOD) because that's an exceptional amount of work and will cost over $600K to build all 28 capital ships since each one costs approx $20-$25K to build inside/out like the Starguard in LOD.

A bridge view capital ship space sim is actually the kind of game I'm dreaming about since years, but no one got it right so far and only a few even made something remotely close.

Derek, have you followed the guys who wanted to make Flagship ? What are your thoughts on that ? Their demo vid looked really interesting, but for whatever reason the Kickstarter failed badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVr98bTzxH8

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Squadron 42 DLC featuring 12 hours of Derek 'The dad' Smart mocap goodness.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Hammerstein posted:

A bridge view capital ship space sim is actually the kind of game I'm dreaming about since years, but no one got it right so far and only a few even made something remotely close.

What's your take on stuff like Pulsar?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
OK I have created a Line Of Defense thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754741

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hammerstein posted:

Derek, have you followed the guys who wanted to make Flagship ? What are your thoughts on that ? Their demo vid looked really interesting, but for whatever reason the Kickstarter failed badly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVr98bTzxH8

Yeah, I've been following that one, but not too closely though. It looks interesting, but I don't think it's going to capture the essence of what it really means to command a capital ship. Into The Stars also tried it, but completely blew it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sarsapariller posted:

After a long night of editing it's done. Be gentle, I am still learning the editing software.

I present to you the ptu experience in video form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go1oFvxUoeI
Hmm, Kurt Maverick. That name sounds familiar...

Oh, it's Kurt_M:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I've been following that one, but not too closely though. It looks interesting, but I don't think it's going to capture the essence of what it really means to command a capital ship. Into The Stars also tried it, but completely blew it.

Into the stars isn't a game. It's several mobile mini games frankensteined together to create an abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mirificus posted:

Hmm, Kurt Maverick. That name sounds familiar...

Oh, it's Kurt_M:

:godwin:

• Locked thread